portable chargers for electronic devices

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mouses

portable chargers for electronic devices

Post by mouses » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:49 am

I am looking for I guess they're called portable chargers for my electronic devices. What I mean is if there is a long power failure, I want an additional source of power for these gizmos when they run out. So, I'm not looking for the chargers that plug into AC or a car.

I want to use these with a Doro 618, Doro 626, ZTE mobile hotspot, Nook HD+, and my Lenovo laptop, although I suspect the Lenovo is a different kettle of fish and maybe that one is not possible.

How do I know when I'm looking for these chargers if they work with any of these devices? Are there likely to be electrical differences between them? Also I see nothing in the specs of the ones I've looked at as to how much power they provide compared to fully charging a device.

I saw a Rayovac which uses batteries (I had thought these devices charged up from AC) and thought, a Rayovac how can I go wrong, but then the reviews were terrible.

Thanks for any clues.

Kenkat

Re: portable chargers for electronic devices

Post by Kenkat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:58 am

There are battery jump packs that can also double as a high capacity charger for electronic devices. We have something similar to this item:

https://www.amazon.com/Beatit-18000mAh- ... ttery+pack

rob

Post by rob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:04 am

There are lots of high capacity battery packs but what about a UPS... You can run laptops or anything else for a bit (doubles to give you a nice shutdown for computer).

Link to Amazon
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:04 am

I'm no expert, but I'll try to answer. Most of those things listed use a USB charger. Those can be powered (generally) from a portable power bank. Some things that take a higher amperage like a tablet, may not charge or may charge very slowly. It is possible to get a power bank with a higher amperage to charge such devices or charge it with the device off. These power banks are rated in mah (millamp hours). Roughly (there is some loss) a 20k mah charger would be able to charge a 2k mah phone 10 times.

As to the laptop, that is a different story. If you are wanting something portable (not a generator), there are bigger battery packs that can charge laptops. Those cost quite a bit more. An example is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Laptops-External ... op+charger

It has tips that will fit most laptops and 6 charging ports. It is 50k mah, so you'd have to do the math on how long that would power all your devices (by figuring out the battery capacity of each device and the run time for each device per charge).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:17 am

How about some solar chargers? Anker makes them. Plus Anker makes some small power banks, too. The solar panel can use the sun to charge the power banks given enough time.

Here is a video discussion from last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcjuX9CJv7A
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:18 am

rob wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:04 am
There are lots of high capacity battery packs but what about a UPS... You can run laptops or anything else for a bit (doubles to give you a nice shutdown for computer).

Link to Amazon
I have my cable modem and router on a UPS. Nominally the system will run for 6+ hours. I can also use it to charge other devices but that will reduce the run time for the network. It has triggered only once since I set it up last year - for about 20 minutes. We rarely lose power anymore after the power company cleared all the trees around the lines.

I also have an Anker portable charger that I use when I'm on the road and need a recharge for my phone or tablet. It would not handle a laptop but Anker makes good power devices and there are different sizes available depending on how much juice you need. Anker makes very good charging cables. I replaced all the OEM cables with Anker cables and the charging time dropped a lot.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 am

There is also the hand cranked generators often with a radio and flashlight. This would be an awful lot of cranking for all of the devices you mentioned however.
Bob

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:57 pm

rob wrote:

Link to Amazon
+1.

It sounds like OP could use a UPS and it should be good enough.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:00 pm

mouses wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:49 am
I am looking for I guess they're called portable chargers for my electronic devices. What I mean is if there is a long power failure, I want an additional source of power for these gizmos when they run out. So, I'm not looking for the chargers that plug into AC or a car.

I want to use these with a Doro 618, Doro 626, ZTE mobile hotspot, Nook HD+, and my Lenovo laptop, although I suspect the Lenovo is a different kettle of fish and maybe that one is not possible.

How do I know when I'm looking for these chargers if they work with any of these devices? Are there likely to be electrical differences between them? Also I see nothing in the specs of the ones I've looked at as to how much power they provide compared to fully charging a device.

I saw a Rayovac which uses batteries (I had thought these devices charged up from AC) and thought, a Rayovac how can I go wrong, but then the reviews were terrible.

Thanks for any clues.
mouses,

I am not sure why you say that. The laptop itself could last a while with its own internal battery. Plus, the laptop really does not consume that much power. So, if you use a UPS, it should last a while.

KlangFool

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:57 pm
rob wrote:

Link to Amazon
+1.

KlangFool
He said "portable". UPS are usually pretty heavy.

It would be good to know if this is for use at home or elsewhere.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:10 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:57 pm
rob wrote:

Link to Amazon
+1.

KlangFool
He said "portable". UPS are usually pretty heavy.

It would be good to know if this is for use at home or elsewhere.
michaeljc70,

You are correct in general. But, in this case, all the devices quoted consume very little power. Hence, a small UPS might be sufficed. Then, it could be a very cost-effective solution.

KlangFool

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 pm

CABob wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 am
There is also the hand cranked generators often with a radio and flashlight. This would be an awful lot of cranking for all of the devices you mentioned however.
Get this and you won't have to crank: http://www.goalzero.com/p/140/goal-zero ... -generator

OP, seriously, portable power solutions run the gamut. The more power and long run time you need the more weight and cost. For same power, lighter solutions will cost more.

I'm guessing something in the middle like this is what you're really looking for and works for some USB-C laptops:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- ... 014ZO46LK/

Depending on efficiency, it might take 3000-5000 mAh to charge a phone and 2-3X that to charge a table. With 20000 mAh, you can expect to charge your phone 4-6 times or your tablet around 2 times. Laptop might get half a charge or a few extra hours. Do you need more or less than this? For the laptop, if it's older, you might need one of the battery power generators with inverter or a UPS depending on how portable a solution you need. BTW, avoid solar charges unless you understand their severe limitations.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Well, I was thinking mostly about at home. We have had some multi-day power failures, so I am getting paranoid. A natural gas generator moved up on my to do list. (It has also been so cold here that I had to convince myself that I did not need to back up the generator with a gas wall heater :-)

But something I could throw in my purse would be nice, although those seem sort of effete.

I bought these:
RAYOVAC PS73-4BT6 Mobile Battery Power Pack/Portable
Rayovac - Portable 16,000 mAh Power Bank – Black

Without going back to check, I think they're about 8x3" so not purse-able.

Thanks everyone.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:18 pm

I have a bunch of power banks that I keep charged; their main purpose is to provide power while traveling, so I don’t have to find outlets at airports or on airplanes. They would keep my phone and iPad/Kindle charged for a couple of days.

My laptop has a UPS, but it really would only be useful if the fiber internet connection is also working. My part of it (router, “modem”) is behind a UPS, but who knows what the provider’s infrastructure does in case of an outage. They advertise VOIP service, so perhaps they have battery backups in place... It wouldn’t be very important for me, thought.

I also have the ability to switch over our solar panels to feed a couple of outlets in the garage.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:21 pm

You can get an inverter that will convert the car 12V to 120VAC. You can plug almost anything electronic into that for charging. I have one of these (somewhere).

I had a converter that plugged into the cigarette lighter and had a USB output. When I connected it to my phone (1) it didn't charge and (2) the phone overheated.

I guess it was defective...but...if you use one of these watch out.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:04 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:18 pm
I have a bunch of power banks that I keep charged; their main purpose is to provide power while traveling, so I don’t have to find outlets at airports or on airplanes. They would keep my phone and iPad/Kindle charged for a couple of days.

My laptop has a UPS, but it really would only be useful if the fiber internet connection is also working. My part of it (router, “modem”) is behind a UPS, but who knows what the provider’s infrastructure does in case of an outage. They advertise VOIP service, so perhaps they have battery backups in place... It wouldn’t be very important for me, thought.

I also have the ability to switch over our solar panels to feed a couple of outlets in the garage.
TravelGeek,

For a provider like Verizon Fios, their VoIP is a primary line service, they have to keep the VoIP working with battery with the loss of power. As a side effect of that, their Internet service is probably still working with the loss of power. On the other hand, the cable provider's VoIP service is a secondary line service. They do not have the same requirement.

KlangFool

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:32 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:04 pm
TravelGeek,

For a provider like Verizon Fios, their VoIP is a primary line service, they have to keep the VoIP working with battery with the loss of power. As a side effect of that, their Internet service is probably still working with the loss of power. On the other hand, the cable provider's VoIP service is a secondary line service. They do not have the same requirement.

KlangFool
Thanks, KlangFool - that was my guess because

- they (CenturyLink) installed the “modem” with a UPS (when I asked the installer about it, he said it was standard practice to enable phone service during power outages; I don’t have their phone service)

- they keep mailing me spam letters with “Make sure your cellphone isn’t your ONLY phone” on the envelope (that I promptly recycle unopened)

:)

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:58 pm

The problem with running things off a ups is the consumer units like APC have very small batteries in them and are fairly inefficient. I have a 1000VA ups and it only has a 24v 12Ah battery inside. It will run my desktop no more than 20minutes. And this is a pretty big/expensive unit.

For charging portable devices that use USB adapters just get cigarette lighter usb chargers. Then you can plug anything into the car. Those car jumpstart packs and GoalZero type power boxes are nothing but a small 12v battery in a fancy box that they grossly overcharge for. If you or somebody you know has basic electrical skills it’s very easy to rig up a small deep cycle battery and a plug that can run those phone and tablet chargers for weeks for < $100.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:08 pm

KlangFool wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:

TravelGeek,

KlangFool
The internet is still live. Verizon just disables it in power failures to extend the life of the small 7ah battery backup they put in the ONT. if you go to dslreports there is a hack posted to keep internet on during power failures. You could do that and Hotwire in a big 50, 100ah deep cycle and stay live for a long time.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 pm

jharkin wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:08 pm
KlangFool wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:

TravelGeek,

KlangFool
The internet is still live. Verizon just disables it in power failures to extend the life of the small 7ah battery backup they put in the ONT. if you go to dslreports there is a hack posted to keep internet on during power failures. You could do that and Hotwire in a big 50, 100ah deep cycle and stay live for a long time.
Thank you for the information.

KlangFool

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 pm

So far, I've used various power banks and such. They've all worked. I've bought cheap ones on sale at CVS.

The only issues I've had is that a) sometimes they are slow charging, and b) the first few that I got apparently weren't capable of delivering 2.1 amps and my then-tablet, a Kindle Fire, while being used... let's say it got down to 25% and I plugged in the power booster... it would basically continue to power the device, so it would stay at about 25%, not discharging further but not actually charging.

There was a glorious period of stability when just about everything used a USB Micro B plug.

It's over now, I have my first device that needs Micro C... and two devices that are capable of charging at a slightly higher rate than 2.1 amps if you have the right kinds of charger for them.

By and large, though, my experience has been that they all work. And that various multipurpose devices, such as car battery jumpers, if they have a USB power outlet in them, well, that will work, too.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Dwayne

Post by Dwayne » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Several people mentioned using an UPS (uninteruptiple power supply). They are useful tools, but not for the scenario the OP lays out.

An UPS must be running when the power goes out for it to supply power to some device. When the power fails the inverter in the UPS begins converting power in the battery to AC current and runs until it is shut off or runs down the battery. How long the UPS will run depends on capacity and how heavily it's loaded. Most people get a unit which is large enough to bridge a short power outage and provide enough operating time to shut down a computer in an orderly fashion, saving open files and not losing work. Excess capacity can be heavy and expensive.

Once the UPS shuts down it will not come back online until its incoming AC power source (presumably commercial power) is restored. I'm not aware of any consumer grade unit which allows you to turn off the UPS to save battery life and then turn it back on later while commercial power is still off line. For example, Rob linked to an UPS for sale on Amazon. I tracked down the manual online (https://dl4jz3rbrsfum.cloudfront.net/do ... AVRLCD.pdf) and found this note in a troubleshooting chart: "Problem: The UPS will not turn on.", "Solution: The unit must be connected to a 120V 60Hz outlet."

Depending on the sort of emergency you want to prepare for your best (most economical) option may be to have a small inverter (DC to AC converter) which you could plug into your car's aux power (i.e. cigarette lighter) outlet. That is something you could use with your laptop anytime and anywhere. You don't have to worry about maintaining an extra battery or how you'll keep it charged, just start the car. The inverter needs to have sufficient capacity to run the AC adapter for your laptop and/or any other device chargers you want to use.

If you want more capacity than that you might want to consider a small gasoline generator, such as the Honda EU1000. The book "Emergency Power for Radio Communications" (https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Power- ... unications) is a good reference for ways of ensuring power for portable devices.

Ultimately it depends on how critical the need is and how much money you want to spend to meet it. Like investing, we're working to balance risk and reward.

Dwayne

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:07 am

mouses wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:57 pm
..."effete"...

I bought these:

effete - that a new word for me, but if the battery pack is powered by AA alkaline batteries, effete might be a good description. I like the 3000-5000 mAh for better performance, rechargeability and portability and many come with LED flashlight for double duty. Is it too late to cancel or return what you got?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- ... 005X1Y7I2/

Look at the comparison chart for size/weight. I think I bought some like this for under $10 when on sale.

If the purse is big enough, 8x3 isn't that big. What are you doing for the laptop?

marstaton4

Post by marstaton4 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:35 am

I keep a number of the Anker portable USB chargers handy and just purchased 8 more when they were on sale at Lowes several weeks ago. They're very handy, inexpensive and last for a long time. I travel frequently for work and sometimes end up in places that have limited to no power and these are a lifesaver. I normally keep one in all of my suitcases, glove compartments, and laptop bag. I also give them out to clients if they complain that their phone is dead. They seem to hold onto them for quite a while and love them. Also a couple of cigarette lighter usb chargers and a cigarette lighter splitter are very useful and can get lots of charging done at once.

I've had a few tripp lite 150/300 watt inverters for my vehicles and they're pretty handy as well for laptops and other small devices. It's my understanding that you typically can't draw more than 150 watts from a cigarette lighter or you'll blow the fuse. I also have a 2000 watt inverter that I use and sometimes travel with and use in rental cars. This involves either using heavy duty jumper cables or I use a quick release power cable such as highway patrol and people that have winches use to quickly get a connection suitable for relatively high current.

A UPS, in my experience, is usually used to keep up servers and other mission critical devices online in case a brief hiccup in power happens so everything will stay up until power is restored seconds or minutes later. Anything more than that probably isn't going to be very effective. Also the batteries don't last forever and I'd argue it as not a maintenance free item.

I have a Honda EU2000i portable 2000 watt generator. It's fairly pricey at $900+ and definitely has more maintenance that the others but probably also provides quite a bit of value if you lose power for more than a few hours or if you ever go somewhere that you would like to bring some power with you. You can essentially get a 15 amp (13.3 but close enough) circuit out of it meaning you can run probably all of your tech at home, a refrigerator, sump pump, microwave, but not a central ac or water heater. Also you may power down certain items before you power one up. It ends up being a simple math problem once you understand how to calculate the power draw of devices. This is small enough for me to pick up with one hand and it normally rides in the floorboard of my Transit Connect work van. It's a generator with a carburetor so you need to be mindful with leaving untreated gas and probably give it a run every month or two. This is also very quiet unlike some of the 5500+ watt generators you see stacked at Home Depot or Lowes right before a big storm.

Solar is probably a good idea too if you just want to keep your phones going at least as a backup to the other USB packs.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:26 am

inbox788 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:07 am
mouses wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:57 pm
..."effete"...

I bought these:

effete - that a new word for me, but if the battery pack is powered by AA alkaline batteries, effete might be a good description. I like the 3000-5000 mAh for better performance, rechargeability and portability and many come with LED flashlight for double duty. Is it too late to cancel or return what you got?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- ... 005X1Y7I2/

Look at the comparison chart for size/weight. I think I bought some like this for under $10 when on sale.

If the purse is big enough, 8x3 isn't that big. What are you doing for the laptop?
The reason I got the battery one is that I tend to be up to my gills in batteries, since I keep a battery storage thing stocked for emergencies, so that seems like a way to use them up in a power failure and then use the other device when those run out.

It would be nice to do something about the laptop. However, if everything else is working, I'll have Internet and therefore also email access via the Nook/mobile hotspot, and working phones, and I probably should buy the software for the Nook that lets me edit Word and Excel files not just read them as I can now, so this will all be fine even if the power is out for days as long as I don't use the devices too much.

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:51 am

It would be nice to do something about the laptop.
I travel frequently for work, and for my Lenovo ThinkPad T470S I bought this Ravpower battery pack (yes it’s pricey at $99 but has worked well for me): RAVPower 23000mAh Portable Charger 4.5A DC Output External Battery Pack (3-Port, 9V/12V/16V/19V/20V, LCD Display) for Macbook, Laptops, Smartphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFMUBYG/re ... uAbX7VZBA5

It is fairly large and heavy (a little over a pound), but doubles the 7+ hour battery life of the ThinkPad. Of course can recharge many USB-powered items.

The hard part with ThinkPads is their unusual rectangular plug, which this unit has. Also RavPower customer support has been excellent.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:18 pm

If you are looking for a good home backup for power failures (as opposed to something to keep in your backpack or something) then a good option is a big lead acid car charger backup battery. They come with USB ports for 12 volt accessory charging and you can use it to jump start your car. Something like on of these to keep in your garage or utility room for emergencies. It will give you a LOT more charging capacity than the little portable models:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JRDV81K

In a real emergency, your car is also a backup battery charger.

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:27 pm

I've used a bunch of different things and this is by far the best I've owned. Charges with my iPhone lightning charger so I don't have to carry a 2nd charger for the power bank. Fully charged, it will charge my 7 Plus four times.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-20000mAh-L ... B0176HQ1O8

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:20 pm

I got this about a year ago. It does a good job keeping my phone and tablet topped off while I travel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P7N0320/

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 am

After getting caught yesterday unexpectedly out with a dead iPhone in a place where I needed to make a call, I decided I need to carry one of this.

I'll admit up front this might be a stupid question - but how do you charge the charger? in other words, when the portable charge is out of juice - do you plug it into an outlet like I would my device, directly?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 am

I'll admit up front this might be a stupid question - but how do you charge the charger? in other words, when the portable charge is out of juice - do you plug it into an outlet like I would my device, directly?
Yes. They usually have an power input USB port to charge up with.
I have a very small one that I carry with me on travel - can quickly recharge my phon.

For at home power outages I have 3 cars in the driveway that serve as backup chargers.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 am

marstaton4 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:35 am
I keep a number of the Anker portable USB chargers handy and just purchased 8 more when they were on sale at Lowes several weeks ago. They're very handy, inexpensive and last for a long time. I travel frequently for work and sometimes end up in places that have limited to no power and these are a lifesaver. I normally keep one in all of my suitcases, glove compartments, and laptop bag. I also give them out to clients if they complain that their phone is dead. They seem to hold onto them for quite a while and love them. Also a couple of cigarette lighter usb chargers and a cigarette lighter splitter are very useful and can get lots of charging done at once.
I have a couple of the Anker AstroE1 chargers and yeah, they are awesome. They will charge my Galaxy S6 in rapid charge mode and will completely charge it from close to dead in 45-60 minutes. I can get 3 charges or so until the Anker is dead. It will even charge my iPad although not completely before dead.

I got the sense that the OP was looking for more capacity, but something like this might be a good starting point. They are around $15 on Amazon.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 am

This one is my favorite so far, but it won't charge a laptop. Not having to fool with finding a cord is huge.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Bolt-Por ... ds=jackery

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:29 am

I noticed that one of the Anker power banks suggested in this thread for laptops indicates it uses a USB-C connection.

My Chromebook uses USB-C connections, but my Macbook (from 2013) still uses the standard USB connection.

Does anyone know if there might be any issues with using an adapter with the power bank in order to use it to connect to my Macbook?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm

As long as the output voltage is what the laptop is looking for, it would have no clue where it is coming from.