New Honda CRV - first oil change full synthetic?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rupert

Re: New Honda CRV - first oil change full synthetic?

Post by Rupert »

CULater wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am
lazydavid wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 am
CULater wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 am I'm wondering how the Maintenance Minder in the vehicle actually works. Does it actually "measure" the condition of the oil in some way, or is it just set on some sort of computerized algorithm?
It doesn't measure the oil in any way, there's an algorithm that is supposed to calculate the lifetime based on driving style. Some of them may even be a straight function of fuel consumption. That would get you a longer interval if you only drove 50mph on the highway, and a much shorter one if you were a stoplight racer.
That's what I suspected. So, if I go to a synthetic with extended life I'm going to have to not mind the Maintenance Minder and put some duct tape over that thing on my display?
Just reset the maintenance minder as follows:

Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position. Press the Select/Reset knob until the engine oil life indicator is displayed. Press the Select/Reset knob for more than 10 seconds.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

CULater wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am That's what I suspected. So, if I go to a synthetic with extended life I'm going to have to not mind the Maintenance Minder and put some duct tape over that thing on my display?
Or if you're looking to double the interval (not recommending for or against this), just reset it the first time, then change and reset the second time. That's what I do on my wife's Lexus. The "maintenance required" light comes on at 5k intervals, I just clear it and wait until it rolls the next 10k increment.

If you want something in-between, you may be able to reset it part-way through. Otherwise just clear the light every time it comes on (instructions in the post above mine) and change according to your own schedule.
ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect »

Synthetic is far superior- you can double triple the longevity of your motor just from using synthetic. And yes most manufacturers today recommend synthetic for obvious reasons. $60 sounds about right for a synthetic oil change. That being said, you don't have to change it as often as dyno oil, so it will be the same or less money than conventional oil.
Chip

Post by Chip »

CULater wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am That's what I suspected. So, if I go to a synthetic with extended life I'm going to have to not mind the Maintenance Minder and put some duct tape over that thing on my display?
You're overthinking this. Change the oil according to the maintenance minder, when it's at 15% oil life or below. Use the oil viscosity range recommended in the owner's manual. If it's 0W20 it will have to be either full synthetic or a synthetic blend. I use Mobil 1 on my 2013 Accord because it's not significantly different in price from the blends. At least for me as a DIYer.

But you can make things as complex as you want. Oil analyses are great if you want to spend the money. Maybe the EP synthetic lasts a little longer. Oil analysis is the only way to be sure. Maybe you can squeeze a few more thousand miles out of each oil change. Of course you'll have to reset that little wrench thingie that's going to pop up on your instrument panel every time you start the car below 15% oil life. Or use that duct tape...
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

smitcat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 am
munemaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 am
Timothy J. wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am We just purchased a new 2017 Honda CR-V.
Pay attention to the interval for the transmission fluid change (and rear end fluid if you have AWD) as well. If you change your own oil, you can easily change your own trans fluid on a CRV. Only part of the transmission fluid comes out when it is drained, and because of this, Honda has more frequent transmission fluid changes than some other cars. Some people (and independent shops) who are not familiar with Honda cars and do not read the manual overlook the transmission fluid and rear end fluid.

Here again, just follow the maintenance minder. There is no reason to out-think it and change at more frequent intervals.

I take my used oil to the Wal*Mart auto center where they take it without a charge.
On each transaxle fluid change you get right about 3 qts which is about 1/3rd the system volume. If you do the change at say 60,000 miles and do the fluid change twice or three times (drain / fill / drive = one cycle) it will provide the refresh that you need.
You could do that, or alternatively you could follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Chip wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:52 pm
You're overthinking this. Change the oil according to the maintenance minder, when it's at 15% oil life or below. Use the oil viscosity range recommended in the owner's manual. If it's 0W20 it will have to be either full synthetic or a synthetic blend. I use Mobil 1 on my 2013 Accord because it's not significantly different in price from the blends. At least for me as a DIYer.

But you can make things as complex as you want. Oil analyses are great if you want to spend the money. Maybe the EP synthetic lasts a little longer. Oil analysis is the only way to be sure. Maybe you can squeeze a few more thousand miles out of each oil change. Of course you'll have to reset that little wrench thingie that's going to pop up on your instrument panel every time you start the car below 15% oil life. Or use that duct tape...
I agree you are overthinking it.

Honda has already done the research, so no need to do your own oil analysis. The wrench thingie is very easy to reset and the instructions are in the owner's manual. No need for duct tape. Duct tape would not be very effective at blocking the indicator anyway, due to the layout of the dash panel.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

munemaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 pm
Timothy J. wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am We just purchased a new 2017 Honda CR-V.
Pay attention to the interval for the transmission fluid change (and rear end fluid if you have AWD) as well. If you change your own oil, you can easily change your own trans fluid on a CRV. Only part of the transmission fluid comes out when it is drained, and because of this, Honda has more frequent transmission fluid changes than some other cars. Some people (and independent shops) who are not familiar with Honda cars and do not read the manual overlook the transmission fluid and rear end fluid.

Here again, just follow the maintenance minder. There is no reason to out-think it and change at more frequent intervals.

I take my used oil to the Wal*Mart auto center where they take it without a charge.
On each transaxle fluid change you get right about 3 qts which is about 1/3rd the system volume. If you do the change at say 60,000 miles and do the fluid change twice or three times (drain / fill / drive = one cycle) it will provide the refresh that you need.
You could do that, or alternatively you could follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
I find that 120K miles or 6 years to be too extensive for my view on car care.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

smitcat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Actually the CRV maintenance minder comes up with a transmission fluid change about every 30,000 miles. That would be about 18 months for your driving. Much more frequent than your typical car, but like I said above, you are only changing part of the fluid.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

munemaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Actually the CRV maintenance minder comes up with a transmission fluid change about every 30,000 miles. That would be about 18 months for your driving. Much more frequent than your typical car, but like I said above, you are only changing part of the fluid.
Not on the 2006 , but the manual does say 120K miles or 6 years.
On our 2014 it has not come up for trans change either - and that one is well above 30K miles.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

smitcat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:41 pm

On our 2014 it has not come up for trans change either - and that one is well above 30K miles.
I am guessing 2006 is pre-maintenance minder. If the manual says 120,000 miles, I personally would have no problem with that.

As far as the 30,000 miles, that is approximate and depends on your driving habits and conditions. If the requirements to trigger a transmission fluid change just miss the requirements that trigger a required oil change (on the maintenance minder), it will not come up until the next oil change (which for me runs about 12,000 miles). So it can vary quite a bit. Nothing to be concerned about.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

munemaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:23 pm

I am guessing 2006 is pre-maintenance minder.

As far as the 30,000 miles, that is approximate and depends on your driving habits and conditions. If the requirements to trigger a transmission fluid change just miss the requirements that trigger a required oil change (on the maintenance minder), it will not come up until the next oil change (which for me runs about 12,000 miles). So it can vary quite a bit. Nothing to be concerned about.
It has a maintenance minder that lights up at 8,000 miles for oil changes.In the handbook servere srevice is listed at 60K miles or 3 years for the trans fluid and 5K miles for the oil change. Of ocurse the maintenace minder does not know the ambient temps or if teh vehcile is driven in dusty conditions.
Good to see that neither of us follwo the manual exacly and prefer to use commin sense.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

smitcat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:30 pm
munemaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:23 pm

I am guessing 2006 is pre-maintenance minder.

It has a maintenance minder that lights up at 8,000 miles for oil changes.In the handbook servere srevice is listed at 60K miles or 3 years for the trans fluid and 5K miles for the oil change. Of ocurse the maintenace minder does not know the ambient temps or if teh vehcile is driven in dusty conditions.
Good to see that neither of us follwo the manual exacly and prefer to use commin sense.
au con·traire! The maintenance minder does take ambient temperatures into account when determining maintenance requirements. It is a lot more sophisticated than most people realize. It is not just a mileage counter. Dust, probably not. I do follow the maintenance minder pretty closely, although as I said, I do shorten the interval just a little bit; I don't let it run to zero.
Q: How does the Honda Maintenance Minder know when the 0% trigger occurs?

A: The system counts down oil life based on engine operating conditions (both normal and severe). The on-board computer continuously monitors engine operating conditions such as speed, engine temperature, ambient temperature, time, and vehicle use to determine when an oil change and regular maintenance is necessary.
reference: https://www.cogginhondajacksonville.com ... minder.htm
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

Loik098 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 pm
djdube525 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:50 am FWIW - I've had luck with setting camelcamelcamel price alert for a 5qt Mobile 1 which based on my settings seem to fire 4-5 times a year from Amazon. When it does, I grab a few bottles. Looks like $23 happens a fair amount throughout the year. Not too bad.
You can do better. Slickdeals runs the Mobil1 rebate twice a year; you can get the 5qt jugs for ~$13.50. Here's a past example.
That is a great deal...

For my use case (Mobile 1 for European Cars - VW/Audi/BMW...) I see $19.99 a fair amount. Surprisingly, closest Walmart is ~15miles away - factor in gas and the delta shrinks a little more. Factor time driving to/from, and dealing with rebates... Amazon works for me.

I will keep an eye out for the rebate though... it would be nice if you could use it after purchasing at Amazon.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:54 am They can't assume the use of synthetic oil when they don't specify it as a requirement in the manual. If you want to use synthetic AND have an OCI of 6k, that's up to you. But it's unequivocally overkill, just as a 3k interval would be for conventional oil.
They do specify it in the manual, by default: 0W-20 weight automotive engine oil meeting API/SN and ILSAC/GF-5 specification is only available in a syn blend or syn. Also, I don't think that a 6K mile syn/syn blend oil change on a turbo engine is necessarily overkill.

You're preaching to the choir regarding extended OCI's and synthetic engine oils. I've been doing it for years on vehicles outside of warranty. On my turbocharged vehicle I'll be running an oil analysis if go that route. However, if you own a vehicle under warranty, you'd better not be extending the OCI beyond the auto manufacturer's recommendations. Also, the trend in the industry now often requires a specification that, at a minimum, already requires a synthetic or syn blend to meet it. How much of a blend is anyone's guess, and the oil mfrs don't always say. The point being, if the vehicle was already spec'd to use a syn blend, a better synthetic is not going to appreciably extend the OCI--perhaps not even enough to even warrant the expense of an oil analysis--so why try to game it.

I question the replies advising the OP to save money by changing his own oil as that wasn't part of the original question. I seriously doubt if the OP had an inclination to wrench on their own vehicles we'd have to explain how one might save money by doing so. And if one has no inclination to wrench on vehicles, why on earth should they start just to save a few bucks on an oil change? We all pick our DIY projects that we're comfortable with. I'm not sure changing out oil is the right one for someone who has no inclination for it. We're talking maybe saving $30 or so two or three times a year: really not hardly worth the mess, the time, and the effort for proper disposal...unless one is so inclined. I was inclined to do so for 50 years.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Recently went to the dealers for an oil change for my 2015 CR-V. Bought my own Mobile 1 oil at Walmart and the dealers for the actual change. I bought 5 quarts in the big bottle, and they left about less than 1 full quart in the bottle. I guess I can top up the oil if needed using this.
snowman

Post by snowman »

For those BHs that do oil changes themselves (myself included) or the ones that buy oil at Walmart and take it to the mechanic, this is the best deal I have found over the years: buy the 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart when on sale (say 22.88 instead of 25.99). Buy it in the spring or fall when Mobil 1 runs their own rebate promo (you are limited to 2 jugs/period). You get $12 rebate/jug, so total is $11. Not bad for quality synthetic oil.

You could also buy Mobil 1 oil filter at the same time, at $10, and get $17 rebate (instead of $12), so the total for Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 oil filter will run you $16.

I just wanted to help out fellow DIY BHs who may not be aware of Mobil 1 promo that runs twice/year but is not really advertised. Mobil 1 has been doing it for years. Not sure if/when it will stop.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

snowman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:26 pm For those BHs that do oil changes themselves (myself included) or the ones that buy oil at Walmart and take it to the mechanic, this is the best deal I have found over the years: buy the 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart when on sale (say 22.88 instead of 25.99). Buy it in the spring or fall when Mobil 1 runs their own rebate promo (you are limited to 2 jugs/period). You get $12 rebate/jug, so total is $11. Not bad for quality synthetic oil.

You could also buy Mobil 1 oil filter at the same time, at $10, and get $17 rebate (instead of $12), so the total for Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 oil filter will run you $16.

I just wanted to help out fellow DIY BHs who may not be aware of Mobil 1 promo that runs twice/year but is not really advertised. Mobil 1 has been doing it for years. Not sure if/when it will stop.
+1
I buy the oil at Wal*Mart and do the Mobil One rebates. I just use the SuperTech filters though...not the more expensive Mobil One filters.
snowman

Post by snowman »

munemaker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:38 pm
snowman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:26 pm For those BHs that do oil changes themselves (myself included) or the ones that buy oil at Walmart and take it to the mechanic, this is the best deal I have found over the years: buy the 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart when on sale (say 22.88 instead of 25.99). Buy it in the spring or fall when Mobil 1 runs their own rebate promo (you are limited to 2 jugs/period). You get $12 rebate/jug, so total is $11. Not bad for quality synthetic oil.

+1
I buy the oil at Wal*Mart and do the Mobil One rebates. I just use the SuperTech filters though...not the more expensive Mobil One filters.
Yeah, me too - I periodically buy Denso or Bosch filters in quantities of 10 when on sale for $3 or less, so I always have a stash of good, cheap filters. I did buy Mobil 1 filter this last time just to see if the $17 rebate works in case I need the filter in the future. It did.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Frugal Al wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 pm They do specify it in the manual, by default: 0W-20 weight automotive engine oil meeting API/SN and ILSAC/GF-5 specification is only available in a syn blend or syn. Also, I don't think that a 6K mile syn/syn blend oil change on a turbo engine is necessarily overkill.
Fair enough on the oil spec end. But I've confirmed empirically that a 13k OCI is overkill on my chiptuned and abused twin-turbo engine. I therefore find it impossible to believe that 6k in a family-mobile is anything but exceedingly conservative with a quality synthetic.
Frugal Al wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 pmYou're preaching to the choir regarding extended OCI's and synthetic engine oils. I've been doing it for years on vehicles outside of warranty. On my turbocharged vehicle I'll be running an oil analysis if go that route. However, if you own a vehicle under warranty, you'd better not be extending the OCI beyond the auto manufacturer's recommendations.
Agree completely. I never change the OCI until after the factory warranty expires.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 am Fair enough on the oil spec end. But I've confirmed empirically that a 13k OCI is overkill on my chiptuned and abused twin-turbo engine. I therefore find it impossible to believe that 6k in a family-mobile is anything but exceedingly conservative with a quality synthetic.
That may well be, David, but until you confirm it empirically on a Honda 1.5t with a 3.7 qt oil capacity (incl filter) I'd be cautious with recommending extended OCI's approaching anywhere near that. This is still a relatively new engine design for Honda. If there are engine problems later on and Honda offers an extended warranty due to some alleged design issues, the small amount saved with an extended OCI will probably not offset the declined warranty expenses.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Frugal Al wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:02 am
lazydavid wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 am Fair enough on the oil spec end. But I've confirmed empirically that a 13k OCI is overkill on my chiptuned and abused twin-turbo engine. I therefore find it impossible to believe that 6k in a family-mobile is anything but exceedingly conservative with a quality synthetic.
That may well be, David, but until you confirm it empirically on a Honda 1.5t with a 3.7 qt oil capacity (incl filter) I'd be cautious with recommending extended OCI's approaching anywhere near that. This is still a relatively new engine design for Honda. If there are engine problems later on and Honda offers an extended warranty due to some alleged design issues, the small amount saved with an extended OCI will probably not offset the declined warranty expenses.
Fair enough. But also to be fair, 6k is more frequent than Honda recommends--20-40% more often, to be exact (they recommend 7500-10,000). There's no way they can deny coverage because you didn't go dramatically above their own published maintenance schedule. That's what I'm arguing against.

From the announcement of the 1.5L Turbo:
Honda News wrote:The Maintenance Minder™ system monitors operating conditions such as oil and coolant temperature along with engine speed to determine the proper service intervals. Depending on operating conditions, oil change intervals can be extended to a maximum of 10,000 miles, potentially sparing the owner considerable expense and inconvenience over the life of the vehicle.
source: http://hondanews.com/releases/cf16df0d- ... fa953c7a49
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

From the announcement of the 1.5L Turbo:
Honda News wrote:
The Maintenance Minder™ system monitors operating conditions such as oil and coolant temperature along with engine speed to determine the proper service intervals. Depending on operating conditions, oil change intervals can be extended to a maximum of 10,000 miles, potentially sparing the owner considerable expense and inconvenience over the life of the vehicle.
source: http://hondanews.com/releases/cf16df0d- ... fa953c7a49
Thanks for this info. I was at 6000 miles with 30% oil life showing on the MM. Extrapolating, that would indicate that I would have been to 0% at 8500 miles or so. I drive pretty conservatively, so I don't imagine it's very likely I'll ever get to 10,000 miles on the MM. For me, that means a couple of oil changes per year.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 am Fair enough. But also to be fair, 6k is more frequent than Honda recommends--20-40% more often, to be exact (they recommend 7500-10,000). There's no way they can deny coverage because you didn't go dramatically above their own published maintenance schedule. That's what I'm arguing against.
I never said to change it a 6k miles. What I said was that 6k miles is NOT NECESSARILY to often often to change out the oil on a turbocharged engine running syn oil. It really depends upon the engine design and operating conditions. I recommended to follow the MaintenanceMinder and that I choose to change it at about 15% oil life or so. It looks like this thread has come full circle.
Waterboyz

Post by Waterboyz »

In the process of buying 2018 CR-V EX-L FWD new.

During my research, I found that the turbo engine is having, what is called, "Oil Dilution" issues. This is when the oil volume in the crankcase increases with too much gas. Some have reported the increase in as little as 200 miles. It even has a very strong gas smell just from the dip-stick when checking the level. The early reporting seems to point to very cold climates.

Honda has not officially published anything yet. They did stop selling the CR-V in China. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 138420.cms. Also a letter was sent out by Honda Canada's Techincal Operations Department 2018-02-28 that mentions high engine oil levels due to fuel or water.

Will this issue reach into the lower 48?

Blackstone Labs testing for gas in the oil is not very accurate. A test that uses chromatography is the true test. I think Amsoil testing service does it.

=============
As related to oil changes I generally use the 5000-7000 mile guideline and ignore the Mileage-Minder. But I'm old school and do my own work. Depending on the engine and mileage I will use Walmart full synthetic or Castrol GTX or Rotella. I always use the OEM oil filter. I sleep worry-free related to this. Everybody has their comfort zone.
Worked on computers. Those computers are now in the Museum or on the History Channel.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Your CRV needs 0W-20.

The thing is there is no "conventional" 0W. These super thin blends are only made in synthetic, which is why the manual says you must use full synthetic.

Just follow the manuals recommendation for oil and interval. Lots of good synthetic brands - I used to like Mobil One but now my favorite is Pennzoil Platinum. Lab tests by the folks on BITOG show its one of the best yet and Pennzoil does rebates often making it quite economical.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Waterboyz wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:58 am In the process of buying 2018 CR-V EX-L FWD new.
During my research, I found that the turbo engine is having, what is called, "Oil Dilution" issues.
Thanks for the heads-up, Waterboyz, I hadn't heard about this.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

On the subject of synthetic oil, there is a really good promo on Mobil One oil (and filter if you like Mobil One's expensive filters) right now. You can buy the 5 quart jugs of Mobil One oil at the Wal*Mart. This is a good deal.

https://apfco.com/secure/R9721W

Regarding synthetic, just follow the owner's manual. Regardless of what it says about synthetic, any 0W20 oil you buy is going to be synthetic. Never saw any that wasn't. If you follow the Honda Maintenance Minder, the oil will probably last for 10,000 miles, so even if it costs a little more, it is a very good value.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

$60 for a full synthetic change is a good price. And I would always go synthetic. I have my oil changed every 10K miles. The oil minder is rarely at 0% to go even then.

As for doing it yourself, that’s up to you. I just don’t want that hassle anymore. Used to always do it myself, but for the extra $25 I have to pay someone, while never leaving my car and being in and out in 20 minutes va laying on the ground....just pay the guy.
Pixafari

Post by Pixafari »

Just checked the link in previous post concerning Mobile 1 rebate. The list of participating dealers doesn’t include Walmart, Autozone, O’Reilly, and other big names. Is the list not complete?
JPH

Post by JPH »

CULater wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 am I'm wondering how the Maintenance Minder in the vehicle actually works. Does it actually "measure" the condition of the oil in some way, or is it just set on some sort of computerized algorithm?
It doesn't measure the oil in any way, there's an algorithm that is supposed to calculate the lifetime based on driving style. Some of them may even be a straight function of fuel consumption. That would get you a longer interval if you only drove 50mph on the highway, and a much shorter one if you were a stoplight racer.
That's what I suspected. So, if I go to a synthetic with extended life I'm going to have to not mind the Maintenance Minder and put some duct tape over that thing on my display?
This was my question too. But couldn't it affect warranty validity if they notice that the MaintenanceMinder has been ignored? Would a mechanic's receipt showing that synthetic oil was used forgive this?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

FYI - Pennzoil Platinum usually can be had for $22-ish when it goes on sale. Like Mobil, Pennzoil is running a rebate of $10 for 5 qts limit 2 right now. BobIstheoilguy has good reviews on Pennzoil and it may carry a slight edge over Mobil in cleanliness since Pennzoil is making their synthetic with natural gas.

BLUF - Good synthetic oils can be had for under $15 after rebate through Walmart... if you wait for the sales and do the rebates.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Pixafari wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:23 am Just checked the link in previous post concerning Mobile 1 rebate. The list of participating dealers doesn’t include Walmart, Autozone, O’Reilly, and other big names. Is the list not complete?
I have used this same offer many times in the past with Wal*Mart. It is not listed but it works. I can't speak for the others you mention. Amazon.com does not work.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

JPH wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:31 am
This was my question too. But couldn't it affect warranty validity if they notice that the MaintenanceMinder has been ignored? Would a mechanic's receipt showing that synthetic oil was used forgive this?
The Maintenance Minder does not store any records, so it does not affect warranty administration.

Putting duct tape over the Maintenance light is a terrible idea! Follow the Maintenance Minder even if you used Extended Life oil. The oil change interval is about 12,000 miles on my CR*V with my driving. Not only that, but the manual says to change it at least once a year regardless of the Maintenance Minder. The oil change interval is so long, it is not going to break you!

The Maintenance Minder is a lot more complex system than simply measuring miles or fuel consumption.
The onboard computer system in your vehicle continuously monitors the engine operating conditions such as speed, engine and ambient temperature, time and the vehicle use. The system will count down the vehicles oil life based on these conditions to determine when an engine oil change and maintenance is necessary.
Why wouldn't you want to use this sophisticated system to monitor your oil life, rather than just guessing?
JPH

Post by JPH »

munemaker wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:12 am
JPH wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:31 am
The Maintenance Minder does not store any records, so it does not affect warranty administration.

Putting duct tape over the Maintenance light is a terrible idea! Follow the Maintenance Minder even if you used Extended Life oil. The oil change interval is about 12,000 miles on my CR*V with my driving. Not only that, but the manual says to change it at least once a year regardless of the Maintenance Minder. The oil change interval is so long, it is not going to break you!

The Maintenance Minder is a lot more complex system than simply measuring miles or fuel consumption.
The onboard computer system in your vehicle continuously monitors the engine operating conditions such as speed, engine and ambient temperature, time and the vehicle use. The system will count down the vehicles oil life based on these conditions to determine when an engine oil change and maintenance is necessary.
Why wouldn't you want to use this sophisticated system to monitor your oil life, rather than just guessing?
I do want to use the MaintenanceMiner. But how does it know if I am using synthetic or standard motor oil? How can it be accurate for both if the service life is different? Is it that sophisticated?

My mechanic did put tape over the check engine light on my wife's car when nobody, including the engineers at Chrysler, could find anything wrong in the diagnostics. She drove it that way for a couple of years. I thought it would be a problem when we traded that car. When that time came, I removed the tape and told the purchasing dealer that the check engine light was on. He said he did not care.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Waterboyz

Post by Waterboyz »

The MM does not know what oil is in the engine. It has no way of knowing what is in there...... water, oil, transmission fluid, blinker fluid etc.

It assumes the guidelines in the owner's manual is being followed.

The MM is strictly a mathematical formula.
Worked on computers. Those computers are now in the Museum or on the History Channel.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

JPH wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:03 pm

I do want to use the MaintenanceMiner. But how does it know if I am using synthetic or standard motor oil? How can it be accurate for both if the service life is different? Is it that sophisticated?
Simple: Since the owner's manual specifies 0W20 oil and all 0W20 oil is synthetic, the Maintenance Minder is calibrated for synthetic oil.
zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 »

Rupert wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 am

+1. This is important to know about Hondas. The maintenance minder on my Honda Odyssey recommended a transmission fluid change at only 30,000 miles. People unfamiliar with Hondas may think that's nuts. Also, only use Honda transmission fluid. In fact, I recommend that you DIY it or see a Honda dealer for transmission fluid changes because many independents will do a mechanical flush, as opposed to a drain and fill. Mechanical flushes are absolutely verboten in a Honda transmission. I think I paid the Honda dealer about $60 for the fluid change at 30,000 miles. So it's not terribly expensive even at the dealer. The Honda branded fluid also isn't more expensive than other high-quality brands, but you do have to drive to the dealer to buy it.
The service adviser at my Honda dealership recommended a transmission flush at the recommended intervals while the car is relatively low-mileage (less than 100k), and drain-and-fill thereafter. His reasoning is that contaminants can actually help seal small leaks in older transmissions, and flush-and-fill may wash these sealant properties away, but cleaner is better in newer transmissions less likely to leak. I accepted his advice.

For what it's worth, I cut my transmission service interval in half for my 2014 Honda Crosstour because I often tow a small RV in hot mountainous terrain. Service advisers at two Honda dealerships have told me this isn't a bad idea. My reasoning is that cleaner fluids can't hurt, may help.

But, except for the transmission service, I go by the Honda maintenance minder and owner's manual. I figure no one knows more about these cars than the engineers who design them.

I would rather leave money on the table and spend (perhaps at times unnecessarily) for added peace of mind. I keep my cars at least 10 yrs. and drive in desolate desert regions. I place a high value on not breaking down in places that may not even have cell coverage. Has worked great for me so far.
millsjack

Post by millsjack »

You did the right thing dude.