New Honda CRV - first oil change full synthetic?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

New Honda CRV - first oil change full synthetic?

Post by CULater »

Just returned from the Honda dealer where first oil change was done on new Honda CRV with the turbo 1.5 engine. The service department said that all oil changes in new vehicles are now specified as full synthetic, and Mobil 1 was used. Cost was about $60 incl filter change. Is full synthetic now the standard for this vehicle or was I being taken for a ride by the dealer service department?
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Spendy

Re: New Honda CRV - first oil change full synthetic?

Post by Spendy »

You did the right thing , especially if you plan to keep your CRV until the wheels fall off.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs ... 1818OG.PDF

Link to your owner's manual:

Refer to page 147:

"Recommended Engine Oil
• Honda Genuine Motor Oil
• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container"

"You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is of the specified viscosity grade."
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

FWIW - I've had luck with setting camelcamelcamel price alert for a 5qt Mobile 1 which based on my settings seem to fire 4-5 times a year from Amazon. When it does, I grab a few bottles. Looks like $23 happens a fair amount throughout the year. Not too bad.

Keep in mind, you won't need to change as often as you would if you were using conventional oils. 10K miles is pretty safe, and some will say 15k is more appropriate. Check with your manual or I'm sure Honda has a couple forums where people can provide guidance.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

I have not been able to find a 0W-20 motor oil that is not at least partially synthetic. I see that Pennzoil makes a blend but that is the only one I have found like that. All the others are full synthetic.

https://jet.com/product/detail/d6cacc4a ... PcQAvD_BwE
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

yes full synthetic.
no on the dealer.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Full synthetic (Mobil 1) is an excellent choice. Just don't let the dealer tell you that you need the change the oil any more often than the maintenance minder or manual recommends (probably every 7,500 miles or 1x per year if you drive less than that).
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If what the other poster said about the manual is true, you did not need synthetic.

That said, there is nothing wrong with using synthetic. You should be able to run it longer. An Mobil 1 has some serious detergents that should keep things clean.

5 quarts of Mobil 1 can be had at Walmart for $25.

So you probably got taken for a little ride. But that will happen any time you take it to the dealer.

JT
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

A $60 synthetic oil change at the dealer is a fair price if it includes the filter. You did not get taken. Virtually all quality 0W-20 oil is synthetic or synthetic blend. My daughter thought she'd save a few bucks at an oil change shop on her Honda Element. The shop (it could happen at any of them) charged her $80 for synthetic. She lost all of her oil shortly thereafter and ruined the engine--yes, she was somewhat complicit in that she thought she could drive a mile to the nearest gas station. It turns out someone didn't tighten her oil filter properly. While I often don't speak too highly of dealers, there are some decent ones. The Honda dealer she NOW frequents for oil changes is employee owned--they too charge $60 for a synthetic change.

Follow your MaintenanceMinder or, for more peace of mind, perhaps even change it around 15% to 20% oil life (turbos make me nervous). Do not go for extended oil change intervals as suggested above, Honda already realized that the engine would be running synthetic when it was designed. I change mine at 15% to 20% oil life. For what it's worth, I own the same car and I'm a former Honda associate.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I recommend full synthetic for turbo charged engines. They run hotter.
zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 »

$60 for full synthetic is what I pay at my Honda dealership. Dealer service is usually more expensive than independent shops. To me, the peace of mind in having a higher likelihood of a level of expertise is worth it. Also, my personal opinion is that a high-rating synthetic is at least as good as, and probably better than, dino or blends. If you plan to keep your car beyond three yrs. (I keep my about 10), the higher cost for full synthetic, dealer oil changes is chump-change contrasted with the possible cost of later repairs. I've also have personal experiences that have turned me toward dealer service, recognizing the added cost. I had two instances of stripped, leaky oil drain plugs after Jiffy Lube oil changes. Also, I took my old Toyota MR2 Spyder to the Toyota dealer for an oil change about 40 miles short of the 36,000 mi. warranty expiration. The dealer informed me of a faulty head gasket, which was covered under warranty, and saved me a tidy sum. So, I'm sold on dealer service.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

CULater wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 am Just returned from the Honda dealer where first oil change was done on new Honda CRV with the turbo 1.5 engine. The service department said that all oil changes in new vehicles are now specified as full synthetic, and Mobil 1 was used. Cost was about $60 incl filter change. Is full synthetic now the standard for this vehicle or was I being taken for a ride by the dealer service department?
I asked my dealer to throw in 2 years of free oil changes and rotation. He was happy to oblige. Yes mine is synthetic but only needs a change about every 10-12000 miles,.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

The choice is not between the dealer and Jiffy Lube.

Oil changes are simple.

Find an honest independent and you will be fine.

I’m guessing about $45 if you want Mobil 1.

JT
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

bottlecap wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 pm The choice is not between the dealer and Jiffy Lube.

Oil changes are simple.

JT
Do you actually know anyone that will do a full synthetic change with filter for $45? I suspected my Mazda dealer was being egregious, so I went to a few independents and found that the dealer was more than fair.

kjvm
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

The best advice is to do exactly what it says in your manual. Don't change the oil more often or less often than what it says in the manual, no matter what any dealer or oil change service tells you. Use the oil recommended in the manual.

That's from someone who has been changing their own oil for the last 40+ years. Our cars, both less than 5 years old, both require 0W/20 synthetic oil.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

The curious thing about this dealer is that, when I asked what they would use, the service rep said they would put in blend for about $40. When I paid the bill it was $60 and I saw it listed Mobil 1 synthetic instead of blend. I asked about that and the billing clerk said that all vehicles since 2010 have been using synthetic. Somebody in the service department decided to use synthetic; I don't know why. And the Owner's Manual does not specify synthetic, contrary to what the billing clerk told me. In the end, I don't really mind getting synthetic and will probably continue to use it. But everything seemed to be a bit off with this Honda service department. Tell me one thing, do another, and then fabricate why they did it.
Ichabob

Post by Ichabob »

If you care about trade in values with churning vehicles from that dealer group, just continue what you are doing.

If you plan on keeping the car for longer than the warranty period and getting the most use value from it, learn to change the oil yourself (tiny investment in tools and will probably take less time than you taking it to the dealer). You can also skip the car oil change schedule and use the oil change schedule after you match up the oil life and filter life. For example, some oils with the right filter are rated for 10,000 miles, meaning for some vehicles you are pocketing the costs of 1 oil change due every 5,000 miles. Go to a auto parts shop or Walmart and look at the 5 quart oil prices and filter costs and compare that to the $60 fee you pay every xx months.

See https://www.consumerreports.org/car-mai ... -your-car/

You can also get oil analysis reports from Blackstone Labs
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

The other thing that was a little "off" about this oil change is that the Maintenance Minder codes (and Owner's Manual) indicate that only the oil is to be changed, with no filter change. This dealer automatically did a filter change also. Now, I preferred that anyway but the dealer wasn't following the recommended service for the vehicle. I knew going in that only an oil change should have been done, and I was going to request the filter change as well. Properly, the dealer should not have done the filter change without telling me that only an oil change is recommended and suggesting that I change the filter also. In the end, I'm OK with it. But I do have the feeling that the service department wasn't exactly playing straight. These service departments are revenue generators for the dealerships and I think they take advantage of every opportunity to make a few more nickels off the customer. I didn't end up getting upsold to stuff I didn't want anyway, but I was being upsold. You gotta keep and eye on these guys.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

kjvmartin wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:40 pm
bottlecap wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 pm The choice is not between the dealer and Jiffy Lube.

Oil changes are simple.

JT
Do you actually know anyone that will do a full synthetic change with filter for $45? I suspected my Mazda dealer was being egregious, so I went to a few independents and found that the dealer was more than fair.

kjvm
I haven't been able to find a single mechanic or service shop in my community that will change my oil with full synthetic for less than about $55. The $55 price is at Firestone with a coupon. My local Honda dealer charges $60, but it's more of a hassle to get an appointment there.
CGHoosier

Post by CGHoosier »

CULater wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:37 am The other thing that was a little "off" about this oil change is that the Maintenance Minder codes (and Owner's Manual) indicate that only the oil is to be changed, with no filter change. This dealer automatically did a filter change also. Now, I preferred that anyway but the dealer wasn't following the recommended service for the vehicle. I knew going in that only an oil change should have been done, and I was going to request the filter change as well. Properly, the dealer should not have done the filter change without telling me that only an oil change is recommended and suggesting that I change the filter also. In the end, I'm OK with it. But I do have the feeling that the service department wasn't exactly playing straight. These service departments are revenue generators for the dealerships and I think they take advantage of every opportunity to make a few more nickels off the customer. I didn't end up getting upsold to stuff I didn't want anyway, but I was being upsold. You gotta keep and eye on these guys.
The manual may have erroneously left out the filter change. Your mileage may vary in finding many shops willing to change only the oil and not the filter for liability reasons. Too many things that could go wrong and customer would assume it was shops fault. Long miles on economy priced filters could result in warping of the housing, gasket becoming brittle,failure of anti drainback valve, ECT if trying to use for multiple oil changes.

I change my own oil (Mobil 1) and keep very detailed excel spreadsheet down to the oil and filter lot numbers on the bottles and boxes for warranty purposes. I can tell you the first oil change in a new engine you will see very small micron metal particles in the oil from engine break in (looks like shiny oil) which is why I change my new vehicles at 500 miles and then go to a normal change interval afterwards. This is all the more reason to change the filter to make sure filter is as efficient as possible at filtering and unclogged.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

CULater wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:37 am The other thing that was a little "off" about this oil change is that the Maintenance Minder codes (and Owner's Manual) indicate that only the oil is to be changed, with no filter change. This dealer automatically did a filter change also. Now, I preferred that anyway but the dealer wasn't following the recommended service for the vehicle. I knew going in that only an oil change should have been done, and I was going to request the filter change as well. Properly, the dealer should not have done the filter change without telling me that only an oil change is recommended and suggesting that I change the filter also. In the end, I'm OK with it. But I do have the feeling that the service department wasn't exactly playing straight. These service departments are revenue generators for the dealerships and I think they take advantage of every opportunity to make a few more nickels off the customer. I didn't end up getting upsold to stuff I didn't want anyway, but I was being upsold. You gotta keep and eye on these guys.
I have done a fair share on oil changes on my vehicles and always change the filter each time. I am surprised that the manual would say only change the oil. That would leave dirty oil in the system, and the filter would have collected some debris in the interval.
It is so common to change the filter when adding fresh oil, that the term used now is "oil service."
In any case, $60 is quite fair.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Oil changes are simple.

JT

kjvm
Sure, here's $39.99: http://www.monro.com/Coupon?id=59

My mechanic also does an oil change for $30, if I don't do it myself. If I asked for synthetic, there would be no reason for him to charge me more than another $10 or $15. If I can get 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $9 more than a cheap conventional oil, why would my mechanic charge an extra $30? Do mechanics pay more for oil than I do?

JT
wander

Post by wander »

I change engine oil myself simply because I want to make sure that regular oil not mistakenly filled for synthetic oil. I used synthetic oil on my car from day 1.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

wander wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:37 pm I change engine oil myself simply because I want to make sure that regular oil not mistakenly filled for synthetic oil. I used synthetic oil on my car from day 1.
+1 Been doing that for 50 years now. I've probably put one of my kids through college by doing that. :sharebeer
Dog_Papa

Post by Dog_Papa »

The reality is conventional and synthetic oil are still basically the same thing. there never has been any real evidence that syn oil is better for
an auto engine. Syn is slightly more pure and tends to do slightly better under extreme conditions (like cold weather starting in northern states).

Turbos do produce a lot of heat and syn is perhaps of some value for turbo cars. Since the cost the cost of syn has dropped a lot, there is really
no disadvantage to using it. I can quickly change my oil for about $25.00. I use conventional oil. But, don't tow or do anything hard on a car or
truck.
William4u

Post by William4u »

1. 0w20 pretty much is required for your vehicle, and 0w20 is always synthetic. Any API-certified 0w20 oil is fine (which would include all name brands like Mobil1, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, etc.). Just look for the API donut.
2. Turbos should have synthetic anyway.
3. Never go to a quick lube place, ever. Trust me, it is a bad idea on so many levels. I would never go to a chain either.
4. A trusted independent shop is best, if you are unable to change your own oil. A dealer is ok in a pinch, but they put their greenest people on oil changes.
5. Under warranty, follow the manual for change intervals (10,000 miles usually). After that, 15,000 miles is fine.
6. Bobistheoilguy.com forum is the best place for questions about oil changes.

With rebates, 5 quarts of 0w20 is about $12. Pennzoil and Mobil1 regularly have online rebates.

Here is a video on how to change the oil on your car... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDmUGdg40Hg
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

FYI, I purchased a new 2016 Toyota Camry with a free two-year maintenance paid by Toyota. First free oil change was scheduled at 10,000 miles and I noticed the dealer used synthetic oil. I think that is pretty much an industry standard now if you want to replace the oil at 10,000 mile intervals.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

djdube525 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:50 am FWIW - I've had luck with setting camelcamelcamel price alert for a 5qt Mobile 1 which based on my settings seem to fire 4-5 times a year from Amazon. When it does, I grab a few bottles. Looks like $23 happens a fair amount throughout the year. Not too bad.
You can do better. Slickdeals runs the Mobil1 rebate twice a year; you can get the 5qt jugs for ~$13.50. Here's a past example.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

FWIW, there are two kinds of Mobil 1 synthetic, the ordinary stuff, and EP which Mobil rates for 15,000 miles. The EP has more additives.

If I buy the 5 qt containers at Walmart, the difference in price is $3 or $4.

When a vehicle is still in warranty, I have the oil changed at the dealer on the scheduled intervals. When the warranty is up, I change the oil myself and always use the Mobil 1 EP. To me the EP is worth the slight extra charge because it lets me change oil once per year. I do it in the driveway in warm weather. That convenience alone is worth the extra few dollars.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Oil changes are simple.

JT
Do you actually know anyone that will do a full synthetic change with filter for $45?
kjvm

Yes.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

CULater wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 am Just returned from the Honda dealer where first oil change was done on new Honda CRV with the turbo 1.5 engine. The service department said that all oil changes in new vehicles are now specified as full synthetic, and Mobil 1 was used. Cost was about $60 incl filter change. Is full synthetic now the standard for this vehicle or was I being taken for a ride by the dealer service department?
The new CR*V specifies 0W20 oil. Isn't all 0W20 oil synthetic? I have never seen 0W20 oil that is not synthetic.
CMLAW1

Post by CMLAW1 »

My friend who has been a head Mazda mechanic for about 10 years recommends synthetic oil. However, contrary to other posters, he says oil should be changed and tires should be rotated every 5500 miles. Hmmm....now I’m wondering if this guy is my friend?! :oops:
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CMLAW1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:09 am My friend who has been a head Mazda mechanic for about 10 years recommends synthetic oil. However, contrary to other posters, he says oil should be changed and tires should be rotated every 5500 miles. Hmmm....now I’m wondering if this guy is my friend?! :oops:
That is about the same intervals that I use.
Mr.Wu

Post by Mr.Wu »

CULater wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:27 am The curious thing about this dealer is that, when I asked what they would use, the service rep said they would put in blend for about $40. When I paid the bill it was $60 and I saw it listed Mobil 1 synthetic instead of blend. I asked about that and the billing clerk said that all vehicles since 2010 have been using synthetic. Somebody in the service department decided to use synthetic; I don't know why. And the Owner's Manual does not specify synthetic, contrary to what the billing clerk told me. In the end, I don't really mind getting synthetic and will probably continue to use it. But everything seemed to be a bit off with this Honda service department. Tell me one thing, do another, and then fabricate why they did it.
From what I read on a Honda forum, some people reported that their dealer’s 0w20 oil used to be synthetic blend until some time last year. They now only have full synthetic 0w20. It’s possible the mechanic didn’t catch up with the new info.

Like many other said, 0w20 oil is almost all full synthetic if you search around. I was actually amazed to hear the dealerships used to use synthetic blend just to save a few pennies.

I change oil myself. I buy Mobil 1 oil at Walmart and Mobil 1 has mail in rebates at least twice a year. I pay less than 20 dollars in total for 5 quarts full synthetic oil and a good filter rated for 15k or 25k miles.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I always change oil and filter myself yearly or at 5,000 miles using Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum and usually Fram Ultra filters. Oil and filters bought only when they go on sale. I could go longer on change interval (likely 7,500) but recently we drive our cars approx 4-8k miles per year and 90% of it is very short trips so I have been changing yearly. I would never exceed 7,500 for change interval regardless of what the manual or dealer says is OK.

Ignoring rebates full syn 5 quart oil jugs cost me apprx $24 and filter is about $7 so it is apprx $31 per diy oil change using high quality materials. So $60 at Honda dealer isn't bad for a full syn oil and a Honda filter.

I prefer to change my own oil and filter as it gives me a chance to check over the car underneath as well as engine bay items to perhaps catch misc. wear and tear issues before they become serious. I would never consider changing oil and not filter - leaves a lot of contaminated dirty oil in the engine.

Do not under any circumstances take your car to any flavor of a quik lube/jiffy lube style operation for any service. Also avoid chains that primarily sell tires and batteries. Based on my experience the level of incompetence of employees can be scary in these places, downside for your car and budget is extreme.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

smitcat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:12 am
CMLAW1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:09 am My friend who has been a head Mazda mechanic for about 10 years recommends synthetic oil. However, contrary to other posters, he says oil should be changed and tires should be rotated every 5500 miles. Hmmm....now I’m wondering if this guy is my friend?! :oops:
5,500 miles seems way too frequently for a CR*V. On mine, the maintenance minder says to change around 12,000 miles. I like to over-maintain my vehicles, so I change around 10,000 miles. My 2009 CR*V now has 208,000 miles on it (looks & runs great), so I don't think following Honda's instructions is going to cause any problems.

Oh, I should add that you should change at least once a year, regardless of the maintenance minder. That's per the Honda manual.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

munemaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:26 am
5,500 miles seems way too frequently for a CR*V. On mine, the maintenance minder says to change around 12,000 miles. I like to over-maintain my vehicles, so I change around 10,000 miles. My 2009 CR*V now has 208,000 miles on it (looks & runs great), so I don't think following Honda's instructions is going to cause any problems.

Oh, I should add that you should change at least once a year, regardless of the maintenance minder. That's per the Honda manual.
Its likely fine if you extend the changes further - for those of us in a cold winter environment and that have performed historical oil analysis in the past (Blackstone) I find the 'extra' $30 per year to be a simple decision for long life.
YMMV
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

Why would you not use synthetic and save yourself half the trouble? I pay double for synthetic and go at least twice the mileage between changes. Am I missing something? I also have a Cr-V, usually go 8000-9000 mile between changes. Honda says 7500-8000.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

smitcat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:44 am

Its likely fine if you extend the changes further - for those of us in a cold winter environment and that have performed historical oil analysis in the past (Blackstone) I find the 'extra' $30 per year to be a simple decision for long life.
YMMV

I live in a very cold winter environment and consider 10 years/208,000 miles to be approaching a long life, with more miles to come. The weather is factored into the maintenance minder intervals.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with changing your oil more often than specified. It certainly won't hurt anything. I don't think it will help either.
Timothy J.

Post by Timothy J. »

We just purchased a new 2017 Honda CR-V. I used to change my own oil in the cars for years. The only problem was how to dispose and recycle the used oil. It was such a hassle to take the used oil to a recycle facility. Yes, it is cheaper to change the oil myself. It is worth it me to pay the extra amount to have a shop change the oil and dispose of the used oil.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Frugal Al wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:10 pm Follow your MaintenanceMinder or, for more peace of mind, perhaps even change it around 15% to 20% oil life (turbos make me nervous). Do not go for extended oil change intervals as suggested above, Honda already realized that the engine would be running synthetic when it was designed. I change mine at 15% to 20% oil life. For what it's worth, I own the same car and I'm a former Honda associate.
They can't assume the use of synthetic oil when they don't specify it as a requirement in the manual. If you want to use synthetic AND have an OCI of 6k, that's up to you. But it's unequivocally overkill, just as a 3k interval would be for conventional oil.

The manual for my twin-turbo motor DOES specify synthetic, but also an OCI of around 13k miles, which is what it gets. Last time I got its oil tested, the lab told me it didn't require changing anytime soon. And I drive that thing a LOT harder than a typical CRV driver would, plus its a diesel that deposits all kinds of sooty filth in its oil.

The wife's Lexus has a factory OCI of 5k with conventional oil specified. It gets synthetic and a 10k interval. Still going strong at 170k, and like my car, used oil analysis says 10k is still conservative.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

CurlyDave wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 am FWIW, there are two kinds of Mobil 1 synthetic, the ordinary stuff, and EP which Mobil rates for 15,000 miles. The EP has more additives.

If I buy the 5 qt containers at Walmart, the difference in price is $3 or $4.

When a vehicle is still in warranty, I have the oil changed at the dealer on the scheduled intervals. When the warranty is up, I change the oil myself and always use the Mobil 1 EP. To me the EP is worth the slight extra charge because it lets me change oil once per year. I do it in the driveway in warm weather. That convenience alone is worth the extra few dollars.
I'm wondering how the Maintenance Minder in the vehicle actually works. Does it actually "measure" the condition of the oil in some way, or is it just set on some sort of computerized algorithm? If I use the EP synthetic which should last 15,000 miles, will the Maintenance Minder still be telling me to change the oil at some lower mileage figure based on the algorithm, or is is going to be able to "tell" that the oil is lasting longer? If it is the former, I'm going to have to deal with this nag by ignoring the Maintenance Minder and that would bug me.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

CULater wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 am I'm wondering how the Maintenance Minder in the vehicle actually works. Does it actually "measure" the condition of the oil in some way, or is it just set on some sort of computerized algorithm?
It doesn't measure the oil in any way, there's an algorithm that is supposed to calculate the lifetime based on driving style. Some of them may even be a straight function of fuel consumption. That would get you a longer interval if you only drove 50mph on the highway, and a much shorter one if you were a stoplight racer.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

munemaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:21 am
smitcat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:44 am

YMMV

I live in a very cold winter environment and consider 10 years/208,000 miles to be approaching a long life, with more miles to come. The weather is factored into the maintenance minder intervals.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with changing your oil more often than specified. It certainly won't hurt anything. I don't think it will help either.
My choice comes from running oil analysis on my 2006 Honda CRV as well as a few corvettes and diesel boat engines. That and pulling off the valve covers to see what kinds of crud buildup comes from the actual usage. I have concluded that intervals of about 6 months and 5-6,000 miles for most car and light truck engines is a good compromise for our usage. And that the extra $30/or so per vehicle a year is insignificant.
If you are in a dry and warm environment and utilize almost all long trips in your car/truck the buildup of sludge and contaminants will be dramatically lower.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Timothy J. wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am We just purchased a new 2017 Honda CR-V. I used to change my own oil in the cars for years. The only problem was how to dispose and recycle the used oil. It was such a hassle to take the used oil to a recycle facility. Yes, it is cheaper to change the oil myself. It is worth it me to pay the extra amount to have a shop change the oil and dispose of the used oil.
You can take the used oil back to where you bought the oil - like Walmart or a box store. I happen to take the oil to my local recycling area as we often are pouring off 20 + gallons at a time.
I will be getting under the car at least twice a year to look and lube so doing teh oil changes at that time is not a big difference - its not jsut the money involved but getting a good look down there and the time as well.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Timothy J. wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am We just purchased a new 2017 Honda CR-V.
Pay attention to the interval for the transmission fluid change (and rear end fluid if you have AWD) as well. If you change your own oil, you can easily change your own trans fluid on a CRV. Only part of the transmission fluid comes out when it is drained, and because of this, Honda has more frequent transmission fluid changes than some other cars. Some people (and independent shops) who are not familiar with Honda cars and do not read the manual overlook the transmission fluid and rear end fluid.

Here again, just follow the maintenance minder. There is no reason to out-think it and change at more frequent intervals.

I take my used oil to the Wal*Mart auto center where they take it without a charge.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

munemaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 am
Timothy J. wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am We just purchased a new 2017 Honda CR-V.
Pay attention to the interval for the transmission fluid change (and rear end fluid if you have AWD) as well. If you change your own oil, you can easily change your own trans fluid on a CRV. Only part of the transmission fluid comes out when it is drained, and because of this, Honda has more frequent transmission fluid changes than some other cars. Some people (and independent shops) who are not familiar with Honda cars and do not read the manual overlook the transmission fluid and rear end fluid.

Here again, just follow the maintenance minder. There is no reason to out-think it and change at more frequent intervals.
+1. This is important to know about Hondas. The maintenance minder on my Honda Odyssey recommended a transmission fluid change at only 30,000 miles. People unfamiliar with Hondas may think that's nuts. Also, only use Honda transmission fluid. In fact, I recommend that you DIY it or see a Honda dealer for transmission fluid changes because many independents will do a mechanical flush, as opposed to a drain and fill. Mechanical flushes are absolutely verboten in a Honda transmission. I think I paid the Honda dealer about $60 for the fluid change at 30,000 miles. So it's not terribly expensive even at the dealer. The Honda branded fluid also isn't more expensive than other high-quality brands, but you do have to drive to the dealer to buy it.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

I take my used oil to the Wal*Mart auto center where they take it without a charge.
On each transaxle fluid change you get right about 3 qts which is about 1/3rd the system volume. If you do the change at say 60,000 miles and do the fluid change twice or three times (drain / fill / drive = one cycle) it will provide the refresh that you need. At least that is the volumes and pattern on our 2006, 2014 and our neighbors 2015 CRV's.
Please make sure you use the correct fluid for these transaxles - do not mix or provide alternate trans fluids for these applications.
It is handy to have a few extra drain washers available as well - cheap in packs on a few amazon sites.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Rupert wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 am

+1. This is important to know about Hondas. The maintenance minder on my Honda Odyssey recommended a transmission fluid change at only 30,000 miles. People unfamiliar with Hondas may think that's nuts. Also, only use Honda transmission fluid. In fact, I recommend that you DIY it or see a Honda dealer for transmission fluid changes because many independents will do a mechanical flush, as opposed to a drain and fill. Mechanical flushes are absolutely verboten in a Honda transmission. I think I paid the Honda dealer about $60 for the fluid change at 30,000 miles. So it's not terribly expensive even at the dealer. The Honda branded fluid also isn't more expensive than other high-quality brands, but you do have to drive to the dealer to buy it.
We buy Honda trans fluid online from a number of sources - shipped to you home.
Please do a search and you will see both volume Honda dealers who do this as well as other supply houses that have these fluids.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 am
CULater wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 am I'm wondering how the Maintenance Minder in the vehicle actually works. Does it actually "measure" the condition of the oil in some way, or is it just set on some sort of computerized algorithm?
It doesn't measure the oil in any way, there's an algorithm that is supposed to calculate the lifetime based on driving style. Some of them may even be a straight function of fuel consumption. That would get you a longer interval if you only drove 50mph on the highway, and a much shorter one if you were a stoplight racer.
That's what I suspected. So, if I go to a synthetic with extended life I'm going to have to not mind the Maintenance Minder and put some duct tape over that thing on my display?