Sling TV experiences

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
harrad
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:50 am

Sling TV experiences

Post by harrad » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:40 am

Our cable bill is creeping up again and we are looking at alternatives. Our tv watching has reduced drastically with two kids at home now.

The kids watch Nick jr for a couple of hours before bed and I catch the morning news and TCM over the weekend. We are giving sling tv a serious thought. Anyone with experience on replacing Cable with sling tv?

db1216
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by db1216 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:51 am

We had sling for awhile. It's legitimate and fairly smooth in delivery. However, we just found that for what we like, it wasn't what we needed in regards to selection. They have free trials all the time so I would advise doing so and giving it a chance. Cancellation was super easy; we did end up trying it for a few months though because it wasn't a bad experience in any way.

Right now, we are using basic cable, Netflix and Hulu. Once we have a good alternative where it isn't cheaper to have cable TV with our internet package, we will drop the cable TV most likely.

Tutty59
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Tutty59 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 am

I am in the same boat as far as trying to replace cable with cheaper alternatives. After inadvertently purchasing a month subscription of sling tv (forgot to cancel my free 7-day trial :oops: ), I can say that sling is a decent choice under certain circumstances. Obviously it's not live tv, so if you're into watching sports like football you may be a few minutes behind. I also find that the user interface is not nearly as friendly as cable. Not that it's difficult, but it definitely takes some getting used to. I hope some others can provide more insight on the alternatives, as I too could benefit from hearing more about them.

bloom2708
Posts: 4907
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:58 am

I did the trial of Sling TV. The channel lineup was too limited and at the time you could only have 1 stream. They now have a multiple stream option you can add on.

Also check out Playstation Vue. We have had that for coming up on 2 years. Amazon Fire TV/Sticks. 5 streams. Better quality picture. Sling (at the time) seemed more like watching over the internet. Vue has a great picture. More channels. Of course, more cost. We are on the $44.99/month package. Still less than cable. Locals will depend on your location. The DVR works great. Virtually every show is on Demand after it airs. Vue on Roku seems to have a less desirable UI.

Hulu Live and YouTube TV along with DirecTV Now are other options. Each have their downsides.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

onourway
Posts: 1291
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by onourway » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Timely. We just switched to Sling after our cable rates got their annual raise and the cable company wouldn't budge an inch. Cheapest tv plan on top of internet was $40 for local channels only. We switched to Internet only and Sling blue and cut our bill nearly in half.

Our only big loss is local channels, which is a bummer but not worth the amount of money it was costing us.

So far I am liking the Sling interface. I actually prefer the Sling interface to our cable box. It's much faster and provides better targeted selections. Picture is very good. We took the free Roku offer rather than the free trial.

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Ice-9 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Cut the cord and subscribed to Sling TV more than two years ago. We're very happy with it, and the things we didn't like have improved since then.

They now offer the original plan as "Orange" as well as a newer "Blue" plan. We switched to the Blue plan to get all the NBC stations for the Olympics almost two years ago and kept it. Also added the News extra for $5 more each month. We pay a total of $30/mo. The one thing I missed the first two years was our local hockey on Comcast Sports Net, but starting this season we've had that available too. Don't miss cable one bit.

mw1739
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by mw1739 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:08 pm

I just signed up for DirecTVNow, which seems to have the best channel mix for our family, but I’m not overly impressed with the streaming quality. Plan to give it another few days before deciding to keep it or switch to Sling.

Ragnoth
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 am
Location: New York

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Ragnoth » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm

I've had experience with Sling and DirecTV Now.

The selection of channels is pretty minimal on both, but it works for what we need. You don't get all of the local channels with Sling, but you can look at the packages and see the trade-offs. Both services are pretty mediocre when it comes to "live" content. Everything comes on a 1-2 minute delay, and there can be spotty quality (e.g., stalling and stuttering in the image here and there).

For what it's worth, I think that there are similar quality issues between the two services. DirecTV I think winds up being slightly more expensive, but you get more channels. Sling has the advantage of having a cloud DVR service as well. I would also check ahead of time to make sure your devices are compatible with each service.

User avatar
3CT_Paddler
Posts: 3226
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm

We have enjoyed it. The biggest drawback would be no DVR, but overall I would recommend it. With no contract, it's relatively risk free to give it a try. With the Roku we have Sling, Netflix and Amazon Prime TV on one device and it's pretty seamless.

onourway
Posts: 1291
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by onourway » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm

3CT_Paddler wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm
We have enjoyed it. The biggest drawback would be no DVR, but overall I would recommend it. With no contract, it's relatively risk free to give it a try. With the Roku we have Sling, Netflix and Amazon Prime TV on one device and it's pretty seamless.
Sling offers a DVR for $5/month but we declined to try it deciding the 'see if we need it' rather than 'get rid of it if we don't use it.' Have you tried that service? Anyone?

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Ice-9 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm
3CT_Paddler wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm
We have enjoyed it. The biggest drawback would be no DVR, but overall I would recommend it. With no contract, it's relatively risk free to give it a try. With the Roku we have Sling, Netflix and Amazon Prime TV on one device and it's pretty seamless.
Sling offers a DVR for $5/month but we declined to try it deciding the 'see if we need it' rather than 'get rid of it if we don't use it.' Have you tried that service? Anyone?
I haven't tried the $5/mo DVR option either, but a lot of the Sling TV stations don't require it if you want to watch, say, something that was on in the last day or so. Just go to the channel, navigate to the show currently playing, and scroll to the left until you find the show you're looking for. (I watch the previous night's Daily Show during the daylight hours a lot.)

ausmatt
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by ausmatt » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 pm

I’ve evaluated most of all of them - Sling, Vue, Directv Now, and YouTube TV. Personally - and it will be personal based on what you like to watch - I’ve found YouTube TV to be the best. And it’s getting better with Native appletv and roku apps due out any day now.

My criterion:
1) Good sports coverage
1b) Good picture quality
2) Decent local coverage (I also have an hd antennae)
3) Cloud DVR
4) Ease of use and navigation

Didn’t realize how much #3 would matter until I started using it. (I think only YT TV has it now included; Directv is in beta).

They all offer a week free, so you could presumably spin up a trial on all of them and watch a different one each day.

Directv Now was okay but I hated the interface and navigation. And it lacks a cloud DVR that I now realize I like.

bloom2708
Posts: 4907
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:32 pm

ausmatt wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 pm
I’ve evaluated most of all of them - Sling, Vue, Directv Now, and YouTube TV. Personally - and it will be personal based on what you like to watch - I’ve found YouTube TV to be the best. And it’s getting better with Native appletv and roku apps due out any day now.

My criterion:
1) Good sports coverage
1b) Good picture quality
2) Decent local coverage (I also have an hd antennae)
3) Cloud DVR
4) Ease of use and navigation

Didn’t realize how much #3 would matter until I started using it. (I think only YT TV has it now included; Directv is in beta).

They all offer a week free, so you could presumably spin up a trial on all of them and watch a different one each day.

Directv Now was okay but I hated the interface and navigation. And it lacks a cloud DVR that I now realize I like.
Vue has cloud DVR. You can have profiles for each user, so essentially you have X DVRs. We have five family members, five profiles, five sets of DVR'd shows depending on the person. Vue also has a great sports lineup. Our smaller market only gets CBS live. I heard other channels are coming. We also have an HD antenna on the roof and get really good HD locals.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 4361
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:02 pm

I cut the cable cord recently and have been happy with Sling Orange. I mainly watch local TV and sports (ESPN, etc.), so I put up a simple outdoor HD antenna for the local channels and have been happy overall with Sling. I signed up for a promo and got a free Roku streaming stick if I signed up for two months. I am saving close to $70/mo.

Goal33
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Goal33 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:13 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:01 pm
Our only big loss is local channels, which is a bummer but not worth the amount of money it was costing us.
See if an antenna will help you in your area
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

khangaroo
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:11 am

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by khangaroo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:21 pm

I had Sling Orange for a year and it worked very well for my needs - mostly sports but other people in my household also wanted the news channel like CNN. I decided to upgrade to Blue+Orange because I wanted FS1 for soccer and UFC. If you're a sports fan, Sling Blue+Orange and an antenna (I use a Mohu Leaf) should save you some serious backs. I think I was paying $170 to Comcast for my cable + internet - 1,000+ channels but I only watch maybe 5 :oops:

One thing I don't like about Sling is they had "blackouts" on my phone and said I could only watch certain games on a different streaming medium like a Roku or Fire TV. Another thing is there can only be ONE log-in at a time, if somebody else logs in then it kicks you off.

Dylan777
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:52 am

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Dylan777 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:24 pm

We were paying Direct TV $140/month. We switched to Sling TV combined with an antenna for local channels, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Less than $45/month now.

As someone else mentioned, sports events can be delayed a few minutes sometimes. No big deal for us. We like Sling. :D

blevine
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: New York

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by blevine » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 pm

khangaroo wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Another thing is there can only be ONE log-in at a time, if somebody else logs in then it kicks you off.
That is only for orange channels like espn. For blue channels you can have 4 users. My wife and kids all watch on different devices at the same time.

Personally I did not save that much money. Wanted flexibility to get whatever I want when I want it. Have tried Sling and Direct TV and now using Hulu live. Overall Hulu live has been closest to covering what I had/liked on cable, not much cheaper but like the service better than cable. Sling was a better bargain, ok to use, kept improving it, but decided to try hulu live. May go back to sling, all depends on how their packages evolve and my use patterns. But that is what I like, ease of quick self service changes. Sling had very granular alacarte economical options, but when getting most of the choices you start to exceed cost of other options.

41Fin
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by 41Fin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:42 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:01 pm
Timely. We just switched to Sling after our cable rates got their annual raise and the cable company wouldn't budge an inch. Cheapest tv plan on top of internet was $40 for local channels only. We switched to Internet only and Sling blue and cut our bill nearly in half.

Our only big loss is local channels, which is a bummer but not worth the amount of money it was costing us.

So far I am liking the Sling interface. I actually prefer the Sling interface to our cable box. It's much faster and provides better targeted selections. Picture is very good. We took the free Roku offer rather than the free trial.
You can get an over the air antenna for $20 or so that will allow you to watch the local channels.

nightnp
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:54 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by nightnp » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 pm

I love sling. Can watch it anywhere I have good internet connection, good channels, and decent price. I don't go for the DVR as there is quite a bit on "on demand" available. If it is a new season you need to watch it quickly or it often disappears off the "on demand" You don't have to worry about your bill creeping up or playing any games. You can get a free trial and we received free roku by paying so many months up front. Use cheap HD antenna for local channels.

I used VUE before and thought it had a lot of lag. I did like that it had BTN though.

onourway
Posts: 1291
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by onourway » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:43 pm

41Fin wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:42 pm

You can get an over the air antenna for $20 or so that will allow you to watch the local channels.
Unfortunately we are well out of antenna range.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 4904
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 pm

We had technical glitches (picture quality degradation, drop-outs, buffering, etc.) with Sling, DirecTV Now and Playstation Vue. This was all a few months ago so things may have changed although a friends is now having similar problems with DirecTV Now.

Last July when YouTube TV came to our market we tried it and have been very pleased since as it's technically solid as a rock and has excellent features like free DVR-ing of an unlimited number of shows that are then saved for 9 months.

YouTube TV may not be available in your market and the channel package may not be a good fit for you but you may want to check and see.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

ausmatt
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by ausmatt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:01 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 pm
We had technical glitches (picture quality degradation, drop-outs, buffering, etc.) with Sling, DirecTV Now and Playstation Vue. This was all a few months ago so things may have changed although a friends is now having similar problems with DirecTV Now.

Last July when YouTube TV came to our market we tried it and have been very pleased since as it's technically solid as a rock and has excellent features like free DVR-ing of an unlimited number of shows that are then saved for 9 months.

YouTube TV may not be available in your market and the channel package may not be a good fit for you but you may want to check and see.
This was my experience as well. Better quality with YT TV (and it's going to get better when they stream 1080p60 to all apps/devices soon) and it was actually cheaper for Youtube TV based on the bundle of channels I wanted (essentially CNBC, CNN, ESPNs, Fox Sports).

FedGuy
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by FedGuy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:13 am

ausmatt wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:01 am
it was actually cheaper for Youtube TV based on the bundle of channels I wanted (essentially CNBC, CNN, ESPNs, Fox Sports).
Wait...I thought Youtube TV didn't carry CNN (or any other Turner channels). Has this changed? That's an important factor for me.

Rashen
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Rashen » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:42 am

been watching sling for two years now via Roku3 and an iPad app. Never had any issues. Highly recommend.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 4904
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:31 am

FedGuy wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:13 am
ausmatt wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:01 am
it was actually cheaper for Youtube TV based on the bundle of channels I wanted (essentially CNBC, CNN, ESPNs, Fox Sports).
Wait...I thought Youtube TV didn't carry CNN (or any other Turner channels). Has this changed? That's an important factor for me.
No, it has not changed. No CNN or TBS on YouTube TV. I added a 1 month subscription to another service last fall to watch baseball playoffs on TBS.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by F150HD » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 am

Vue is good

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 4904
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:26 am

F150HD wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 am
Vue is good
I had problems with Playstation Vue. The last straw was when I was in the middle of a playoff baseball game, the screen went black and a message popped up to the effect that the game was blacked out in my area. Well, it was on Vue but it shouldn't have been. Needless to say I immediately changed providers and that's one of the beauties of streaming.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
peregrine
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by peregrine » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:44 am

I think TV is only good for live sports these days. We did cut the cord and have YouTube TV. They gave us a free Chromecast. We are satisfied with the service. Although YouTube TV supports some local stations, we get our local stations via an antenna in our attic.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by F150HD » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:17 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:26 am
F150HD wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 am
Vue is good
I had problems with Playstation Vue. The last straw was when I was in the middle of a playoff baseball game, the screen went black and a message popped up to the effect that the game was blacked out in my area. Well, it was on Vue but it shouldn't have been. Needless to say I immediately changed providers and that's one of the beauties of streaming.
Unclear how that's Vue's fault.

Their interface could use some work (latest update ins't that fluid) but the channel selection is ok.

User avatar
Geneyus
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Geneyus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Tutty59 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 am
...I can say that sling is a decent choice under certain circumstances. Obviously it's not live tv, so...
Sling actually does offer Live TV on its channels. You can go to "On Now" at the top, and it will show you everything that's playing live, so you don't have to search for a show to turn on. We often browse the "On Now" section and pick something when we just want a show on for background noise (and the dog likes watching TV). There's almost always reruns of Fixer Upper on. The one thing I don't like about Sling is that it only offers CNN and something called "Newsy" (or something like that?). I don't want to watch CNN. I wish they carried Fox News.

I have a Roku with antenna for local channels, Sling TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and CBS All-Access (60 Minutes, Big Brother, Survivor). I'd rather pay for the CBS app and stream anything I want instead of trying to catch our favorite shows live. I like our current setup more than our old, more expensive cable. Don't bother paying extra for the Roku that allows you to say what you want to watch... it never works, and we wouldn't use it anyway.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 4904
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:47 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:17 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:26 am
F150HD wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 am
Vue is good
I had problems with Playstation Vue. The last straw was when I was in the middle of a playoff baseball game, the screen went black and a message popped up to the effect that the game was blacked out in my area. Well, it was on Vue but it shouldn't have been. Needless to say I immediately changed providers and that's one of the beauties of streaming.
Unclear how that's Vue's fault.

Their interface could use some work (latest update ins't that fluid) but the channel selection is ok.
Sorry for my sloppy grammar. What I meant was that it was suddenly blacked out in mid-game on Vue which it should not have been. I immediately signed up with another streaming service and the game was playing as it should have been. Sorry if the way I described the problem was confusing. The channel selection is good but this was a technical problem on their end. There had been others during my time with Vue so I cancelled and moved on.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

iowahokies
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by iowahokies » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 am

We've been sling subscribers for over 2 (maybe 3?) years and are pleased with the service. For the cost/value, it is hard to beat. It has the right combination of channels that we are looking for (ESPN for me and HGTV/Food/Travel for my wife). We tried the DVR and it works well. The only issue I had is that it doesn't work with some of the channels (such as ESPN) due to channel agreement restrictions. Suggest you look into which channels are important to you and your family to make sure they are covered. As an example, YouTube TV is available in our area and would be a great option exception it doesn't include HGTV.

We use a Channel Master DVR+ which has DVR functionality for over-the-air (OTA) channels as well as a free channel guide for the OTA channels. This made cord cutting much better for my wife. She can also access Sling directly from the Channel Master which she likes as well. However, in the future, they will be discontinuing Sling support on Channel Master.

I also hear a lot of good things about PS Vue. I was impressed with the picture quality of DirectNow at an AT&T store. However, I read about a lot of buffering issues with it.

Most offer free trials. I suggest you give one a shot and if it doesn't meet your needs, try another service.

testing321
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:46 pm
Location: kansas city

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by testing321 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:03 pm

When our Uverse bundle went from $140 to $215 at end of a promotion, we decided to dump it. We went with Time Warner internet for $30 and signed up for Sling. Sling was as good as cable for us, but we soon discovered that it was so easy to give up cable because we weren't watching it much, so we gave up Sling. My wife wasn't watching HGTV much anymore, CNN was stuck on one story, and we couldn't find much to watch on TCM that we hadn't seen before. We don't watch sports.

So we moved on to Amazon prime and TIVO. We get all the local stations perfectly, and TIVO was much better than our DVR from Uverse. We will probably move on to Netflix next, but there is no going back to cable.

InvisibleAerobar
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:07 pm

does anyone know if Sling's DVR allows one to fast forward/skip ads?

also, is this available for NBC/NBCSN, Foxsports, and TNT? I ask b/c there are times i'd like to watch a soccer match a few hours (or days) after the match

epeterson1970
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by epeterson1970 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 pm

I switched to sling TV. I liked it but ended up switching to Direct TV Now for a couple of reasons.
1. I could get local channels on Direct TV Now
2. More on demand programming
3. You can use use Direct TV Now login to access apps uch as Hitory channel app.
4. No extra charge for DVR

I returned Spectrum router/wifi antenae and bought my own router, That eliminated all buffering and improved picture quality.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 1522
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Another option for streaming is Vu Stream TV.

This is totally different from Play Station Vue. My SIL signed up for it yesterday to get out of market Green Bay Packers games.

He is using an Amazon Firestick and he said the picture was perfect. I believe his internet is through Spectrum.

I have tested both Sling and plan to test the Vu Stream TV.

I didn't have any issues with the Sling TV, but I want to check out some more options.

At any rate, I have an antenna that pulls in the local channels crystal clear. Digital TV is great!

Lots of options out there.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

tj
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by tj » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:49 pm
Another option for streaming is http://www.vustreamtv.com/ aka Vu Stream TV.

This is totally different from Play Station Vue. My SIL signed up for it yesterday to get out of market Green Bay Packers games.

He is using an Amazon Firestick and he said the picture was perfect. I believe his internet is through Spectrum.

I have tested both Sling and plan to test the Vu Stream TV.

I didn't have any issues with the Sling TV, but I want to check out some more options.

At any rate, I have an antenna that pulls in the local channels crystal clear. Digital TV is great!

Lots of options out there.

Broken Man 1999
I'm 99.9% sure that the Vu Stream you mentioned is not an authorized distributor of any of these channels.

The only legal way to get out of network NFL is to buy NFL Sunday Tickey on DirecTV or at nflsundayticket.tv

BashDash
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: Sling TV experiences

Post by BashDash » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Have been pretty happy with sling although it has not been reliable lately for some reason. I restart Apple TV and it is fine. This is rare.

Found out about something interesting today on cordcuttersnews.com which is a great site.

locast.org
Free locals! I had trouble getting good antenna even though I am near a major city. This site is free and now I get all of them. I "mirror" it straight to the Apple TV and I am all set. I needed something to watch occasional nfl game, pga golf or other sports. Only available in New York, Houston and a few others I forget. ( and their surrounding areas because I don't live in a city mentioned)

Post Reply