Legal services via employment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
jackal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:24 am

Legal services via employment

Post by jackal » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm

My employer offers Hyatt legal legal plans for 6.50 per month. Is it worth the cost? The only expense I see in the near future is a prenup and I just don’t want to be penny wise pound foolish...
Thank you.

Trev H
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 pm

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by Trev H » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Not sure about the monthly fee option... guess it would depend on how much you actually used it.

My company offers to pay 50.00 annually for us in legal fees as a benefit. I used it several years ago when we had our "will" setup.

I have been married 27 years now, no prenup.

Trev H

Rupert
Posts: 2892
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by Rupert » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm

Before signing up, investigate whether a prenup would be included in the package you are buying. There are prior BH posts about these services, including one where lots of people griped that they signed up to get wills drafted but then learned that the sorts of wills they needed (defined by the services as complex because of the need to create trusts for minor children) weren't included in the deal.

J295
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by J295 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:07 pm

All lawyers are not created equal. We’ve been married 35 years and don’t have a prenup, but if I were going to put one in place I’d hire a lawyer of my own choosing not someone who is affiliated with an employer plan. Personally, in that situation I wouldn’t concern myself with the cost

skepticalobserver
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:29 am

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by skepticalobserver » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Inquire of Hyatt if prenups are covered. If you and your spouse-to-be have a complex financial situation calling for sophisticated drafting Hyatt may set a limit on services covered for the nominal monthly sum.

Recognize that prepaid legal plans are there for attorneys to bring in uncomplicated loss-leader services for better paying matters, mostly personal injury claims.Otherwise, the business model doesn't make sense for the attorney. At least that's how it was pitched to me.

denovo
Posts: 3991
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by denovo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:48 pm

I would ask co-workers what services they have used them for and if they were any good.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

ResearchMed
Posts: 6041
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 am

We are soon to find out.

This is a brand new offering from HR benefits, so there's no one to ask about experiences.

We are among the guinea pigs.

We were about to re-do our wills, DPoA's, medical proxies/directives, etc., anyway.
And we'll probably want a trust, but without fancy bells and whistles.
If we can't get it done with Hyatt, or aren't pleased with how it's going, I suppose we are out one year's fees.
(In that case I may complain to HR that we had no way to explore this new choice, as even the existence of the choice showed up at almost the last minute. HR may have known it was in the offing, but employees didn't until rather late. We are hoping that it all works well for this. If the service can't handle these simple, routine docs, then what DO they offer? Obviously it wouldn't be some major malpractice cases or personal injury cases.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jackal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:24 am

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by jackal » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:59 am

Awesome. Thank you.

ICMoney
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:38 pm

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by ICMoney » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:36 am

jackal wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm
My employer offers Hyatt legal legal plans for 6.50 per month. Is it worth the cost? The only expense I see in the near future is a prenup and I just don’t want to be penny wise pound foolish...
Thank you.
For us, it was worth it to elect legal services through Hyatt in a couple key years. Did wills, POA, medical directives, living trust, plus used them for a real estate transaction. Saved hundreds excluding the real estate transaction (where we easily saved thousands), and found the attorney to be competent and quick to respond. The Hyatt attorney we chose was from a small practice (1-2 attorneys), nothing flashy, but that was fine with us.

Best,
ICM

ResearchMed
Posts: 6041
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am

ICMoney wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:36 am
jackal wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm
My employer offers Hyatt legal legal plans for 6.50 per month. Is it worth the cost? The only expense I see in the near future is a prenup and I just don’t want to be penny wise pound foolish...
Thank you.
For us, it was worth it to elect legal services through Hyatt in a couple key years. Did wills, POA, medical directives, living trust, plus used them for a real estate transaction. Saved hundreds excluding the real estate transaction (where we easily saved thousands), and found the attorney to be competent and quick to respond. The Hyatt attorney we chose was from a small practice (1-2 attorneys), nothing flashy, but that was fine with us.

Best,
ICM
Good to hear about several different "uses".

Were there any unexpected costs?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

student
Posts: 1748
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by student » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am

I have used it in the past for a will and a living trust. I am satisfied. No extra cost for standard service.

ICMoney
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:38 pm

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by ICMoney » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am
ICMoney wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:36 am
jackal wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm
My employer offers Hyatt legal legal plans for 6.50 per month. Is it worth the cost? The only expense I see in the near future is a prenup and I just don’t want to be penny wise pound foolish...
Thank you.
For us, it was worth it to elect legal services through Hyatt in a couple key years. Did wills, POA, medical directives, living trust, plus used them for a real estate transaction. Saved hundreds excluding the real estate transaction (where we easily saved thousands), and found the attorney to be competent and quick to respond. The Hyatt attorney we chose was from a small practice (1-2 attorneys), nothing flashy, but that was fine with us.

Best,
ICM
Good to hear about several different "uses".

Were there any unexpected costs?

Thanks.

RM
I was charged zero for all of this. The only potential extra cost the attorney mentioned was if we wanted to do any tax planning with the living trust - tax planning was out of scope of my Hyatt plan.

Best,
ICM

jayk238
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by jayk238 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:01 pm

For simple things that basically require a signature from a lawyer to make it official yes its fine- but for more complicated and important things I would not use it. My wife is a lawyer and we are forgoing this option at our employer.

User avatar
rob
Posts: 2920
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: Legal services via employment

Post by rob » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:03 pm

I had them for a while a LONG time ago and it was great value... had POA, wills, living trust all done for zip. Just confirm what is covered now.....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Post Reply