Do you have a antivirus for you Android phone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
squirm

Do you have a antivirus for you Android phone?

Post by squirm » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:08 pm

Are you using one? I only use trusted applications, but you never know when a insecure or malicious program will gain access to the trusted areas.

Don_Qua

Re: Do you have a antivirus for you Android phone?

Post by Don_Qua » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:36 pm

I do not use an antivirus app on my Android phone, never have. I have a core of apps that I depend on and rarely install anything new. I think that much of the hype about virus infection on phones (PC's too) is just stirring the pot to sell antivirus software.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:41 pm

No because I can easily sideload recovery (TWRP) and restore from backup using Nandroid.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:52 pm

No.
S5,S7,S8 over the years. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

frazzlefeet

Post by frazzlefeet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Yes. I just use the free avast antivirus app.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:55 pm

I use McAfee since it's offered as part of my Windows software. My license covers all my Windows PC's (desktop/laptop) along with my android phones.

- Ron

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 am

yes, use the free version of avg.
Regards, | | Guy

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:57 am

I don't. Anything i do on my Android is saved in the cloud. So worst case scenario is factory reset and relog into my Google account.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

stedmakr

Post by stedmakr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:53 am

I use Bitdefender for my windows computer and all my android devices. There is a version for mobile security. I believe Bitdefender is the best antivirus program available.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 am

I do not. I don't use my phone for anything highly sensitive or risky like financial sites. I usually do a factory reset every six months or so just to clean out any glitches from Android updates. Gives me a chance to delete any apps that I no longer use and clean things up.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 am

No, but I keep my phone very "light".

Only a few apps are actually loaded, most of what I do is go websites, not download the apps.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:10 am

No I don't. I do use my phone extensively (including banking and -very rarely- investing) and have a moderate number of apps installed. But I don't see a huge risk given my particular usage characteristics and the nature of android. I am very careful with apps - most are very popular apps with known authors, a few are less known but well-researched. While I wouldn't consider this approach in the Windows world, I am comfortable doing so in the Android world. Experts are divided on the subject, but mostly say it comes down to user and usage as to whether it is worth it.

The bigger risk I believe is in securing the phone itself - being able to remotely locate and wipe in case of loss (I use Google's Find My Device), and fingerprint and/or password locks. Plus, I use 2 factor authentication whenever possible. I prefer to assume my passwords will someday somehow be compromised and have precautions in place to handle.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:16 am

I do not. I use a 6 digit passcode. I do not connect to open wi-fi. I do use known/trusted wi-fi. Home, work.

I can do everything I can do on a computer on my Android phone. I love it.

Local Bank
Capital One 360
Personal Capital
Vanguard
Fidelity
Credit Cards (Citi, Chase, Barclay)

I guess a packet sniffing Russian could steal my wi-fi traffic. It hasn't happened yet. If it does, I'll change my passwords.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:21 am

I think the issue isn't the wifi transmission but the data crossing from an app to another app and out the door.

I have no need to access my financial records except from home. I rarely am gone for more than a couple of weeks any more.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:37 pm

I don't. I have run avast in the past to check and nothing came up. It did help me clean up a bunch of junk files. Then I deleted it off my phone.

Post by 2015 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:51 pm

I had Avast previously on the Moto G 1st Gen, only to have to disable the annoying notifications (which were more like ads). Days after getting my wonderful G 5th Gen, I downloaded a Norton Antivirus app which promptly turned everything on the phone to x-ray vision. Fortunately, I was able to find the cause via Googling on the laptop, reversed the Norton mess, then promptly deleted the offending app. I do nothing sensitive on my phone, visit no offbeaten sites, download almost no apps, so for me an anti-virus phone app is overkill.

Edited to add: Only reason why I even downloaded the Norton app is because reviews of Avast on the app store are simply terrible now. Apparently, a recent update made many users unhappy.

a5ehren

Post by a5ehren » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Because of how mobile OSes are structured, AV programs on phones are not particularly effective at stopping malicious software. I wouldn't (and don't) bother.

If you're worried, make sure you don't have the "install 3rd party software" option checked under settings and only buy phones from Android manufacturers that are good about the monthly security patches. The whole list of those at the moment is Google (Pixel line) and Samsung (on the Sx and Note phones only - their low end stuff not as much). Also only install high-quality, popular apps from the Play Store.

SS396

Post by SS396 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 am

Does your android phone have "Google Play Protect" installed? It probably does. The Play Protect app regularly checks all apps on your device for harmful behavior. You will be notified if any security risks is found.The Play Protect app runs a safety check on all apps from the Google Play Store before you download. Also, don't mess around with Android default security settings - by allowing apps to be installed from an unknown source. If you have the Play Protect app installed and you do not download apps from unknown source, then you do not need any other third party antivirus apps. Finally, most of the free AV apps have annoying advertisement. Who wants to put up with that garbage. Good luck.

Optimistic

Post by Optimistic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:41 am

It is difficult to get malware on an Android phone. You cannot install apps from outside the Google Play store unless you purposefully turn on the setting that allows installation from Unknown Sources. So, don't change that setting. Then, only download apps from the Google Play store you're familiar with. Installing the Vanguard or Fidelity app isn't going to give you malware. However, installing an app that you've never heard of and has only a few downloads and reviews could potentially expose you to malware.

Also, by the time your anti-virus app knows about an app in the Play Store that is malicious and would block you from installing it, Google would have found out as well and removed the app on its own.

junior

Post by junior » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:50 am

No. The odds of a virus getting past Google'built in security is low as long as you stay on the play store. The odds that an anti-virus would help while Google's built in Malware scan doesn't work seems even lower.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 am

I wonder why one needs antivirus software on any of his/her smartphones (IOS or Android).