E-reader for ebooks - Pros and Cons

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishandgolf

E-reader for ebooks - Pros and Cons

Post by fishandgolf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Have a surgery coming up in a couple of weeks (repairing left wheel :annoyed ) that'll put me down for 6-8 weeks so I'm in the market for an E-reader; never owned one before.

Most of my reading consists of the WSJ hard copy and on occasion.....when the paper doesn't show up, then I access the digital form from my laptop. I do most of my other reading from my laptop....mostly articles and short papers.....nothing extremely lengthy such as a book. Books that I've read have been hard cover.

I am seriously considering an E-reader because of the vast amount of books, materials available...

I have only done cursory research on two E-readers: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Voyage........at first glance, I am leaning toward the Voyage.

Those of you that own or have owned an E-reader:

What has been your experience........good or bad....... :?:

Do you have a preferred model or brand :?:
Last edited by fishandgolf on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandi_k

Re: E-reader for ebooks - Pros and Cons

Post by Sandi_k » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Love, love, love the Paperwhite.

Battery lasts a week of extensive reading, low-glare screen means I can read outdoors, and it's lightweight as well. Adjustable font size, and an adjustable backlight makes it an amazing addition to my reading life. If it broke today, I'd buy another one later today. :D

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I also have the Paperwhite and I really like it. It is lightweight and easy on the wrists. The only problem comes when trying to see pictures that punctuate some books.

One caveat. If you think you might want to use it to get rental books from your local library check with the library first. I have read that some libraries only work with tablets.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm

My wife and mother are avid readers and use their iPads and they are very "readable". In addition this device gives you the world in your hands for a tremendous number of apps. Two birds, one stone.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Between Mrs O and me we have had half a dozen kindles, from the old unlit ones to the newer Fires. They are all just fine for reading books.
Right now we both like our cheapy kindles, the little 7 inch Fire, which we use just for e-reading and nothing else. They were $35 on sale a while back and they work fine.
I do have the kindle apps on my iPad, and also on my Android phone, so I have something to read no matter what gadget is in my hand.
My advice is just get the one whose size you like and budget fits.

Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Sandi_k and AlwaysaQ

Thank you for your comments...a few more questions:

Do you have the black and white or? Is it available in color display or just b&w?

Are there newer and older versions? Do I need to look for a certain model number?

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm

I have both the unlit Kindle reader and the Kindle Fire 7. I prefer the unlit version for reading in daylight. I find it easier on the eyes.

As far as downloading from the library -- At my library most, but not all, e-books are available in the Kindle version. For the others I use the Over Drive app on the Kindle Fire. On the Fire I also have apps to download magazines, audio books and videos from the library.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:58 pm

My wife loves her Paperwhite kindle, she uses it regularly.

gravlax

Post by gravlax » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm

I picked up a Kindle paperwhite about eight books ago. It is very, very nice. I also purchased this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IN ... UTF8&psc=1 which I also recommend.

Like you, I was deciding between the paperwhite and the voyage. I read one of the Amazon reviews by someone who had both, and they said that the way the battery runs along the side of the voyage makes it inconvenient to switch hands while reading. You can probably find the review for more details.

Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks for comments regarding getting ebooks from the library. Just checked with DW and she uses the following often. She uses her ipad for most downloads......

https://meet.libbyapp.com/

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:40 pm

I don't have a dedicated e-reader, but I got an iPad mini that's of similar form-factor. It's convenient for reading. Here's a thread where we discussed some options for free materials:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=224406

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:43 pm

E readers are usually black and white. The big advantages over a tablet are weight, battery life and less eye strain. I find they are much better to read on than a regular tablet. But if you are not a voracious reader like me, something like a kindle fire would be fine.
I used the paper white for years and just upgraded to the new oasis with a larger form factor. Love them both. I have gotten to the point that I like reading on them better than a real book.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:50 pm

I read several magazines and daily newspapers online on my laptop. I would like to get a tablet for this plus email and internet. Kindle Fire would be fine, I think. How does this work? Do I download the item (NY Times or Wash Post for example) to the Kindle; read it online; either/or? Can I get any magazine or newspaper, or does Amazon have some restrictions?

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm

We read books and magazines easily downloaded from our local library using our ipads. Much prefer a multi-functional device like ipad rather than using a single function e-reader...too many devices make for charger chaos.

Pam01

Post by Pam01 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:59 pm

I am an avid reader and love the convenience of e-books and e-readers. I love the Paperwhite. I do not have any experience with Voyage. The Paperwhite is light and easy to hold in my hand while reading. Most of my books are digital now and they go with me when I travel. I can even carry travel guides in digital form. Being able to consult the guide in bright sunlight while being out and about is very convenient.

The battery lasts such a long time that I forget that I need to recharge it until it is almost depleted. This is probably the only con(?) that comes to mind.

As someone else said, libraries these days carry many digital books, in Kindle and other formats. I only buy e-books when my library doesn't carry them.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm
We read books and magazines easily downloaded from our local library using our ipads. Much prefer a multi-functional device like ipad rather than using a single function e-reader...too many devices make for charger chaos.
Yes, I am thinking of buying the 2017 9.7 inch 64GB Apple iPad instead of the Kindle Fire.

Pam01

Post by Pam01 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:08 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm
An e-reader does not have to be charged as often though. A tablet probably has to be charged every day.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:08 pm

I love my Paperwhite! I just bought a new one and my sister told me not to bother with the Voyage -- she didn't find it worth the extra money.

The Paperwhite is excellent for reading in bed. The low light doesn't bother the husband while he sleeps and it is quite durable. We've slept with it many a time and it has even survived a few falls off the bed onto the hardwood floors.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:09 pm

I also have a Kindle Paperwhite and adore it. I have bought many books, and download a lot more "turnover" fiction from the library. Less dusty old books on shelves at my house now!

Kindles are very very good for reading books, are amazingly good at night due to backlighting, and tablets are better for periodicals, net browsing and graphics. I do not personally care for holding the extra weight of a tablet to read, so I own both. Try holding it up for a couple hours and see....
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:14 pm

I love my B&W Kindle Paperwhite.

You can subscribe to Bookbub for a daily email blast of books under $4.00 and Amazon also has a page for daily books under $4.00. You should be able to find one or two books a week for under $4.00 - many former best sellers and classics. I rarely pay full price for books anymore.

https://www.bookbub.com/welcome
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ ... 1000677541

KALS

Post by KALS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Use both a Paperwhite and iPad mini to read. With the Kindle App on the iPad, one can synch to last page read across devices. Paperwhite is way to go for reading outdoors.

Paperwhite does not have email, games, other apps, or notifications. Distraction free reading!

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Love reading on the paper white. I have an iPad, few laptops and my phone, but reading on the kindle paper white is far better. Much less eye strain, and more focused experience not having any distractions.

I tried voyage at the Amazon store and like it even better than the paper white. The battery compartment running down the side makes it easy to hold with one hand and it feels easier to hold than the paper white. screen is noticeably better too. I haven't bought it though as my paper white is just fine. If it died or i didn't have a reader already, I'd go with voyager.

Greaterunderstanding

Post by Greaterunderstanding » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:22 pm

I also have a Kindle, but the original version that I got 4 years ago. It still works great and holds a charge well (about a week). My favorite thing about ereaders is that you can check out ebooks from your library. I haven't bought a book in over a year because I just have a queue of holds placed on the books I want to read and am usually finished with one when the next one comes available.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:58 pm

I started with Nook e-readers and have had 3 different models. I especially like the lightweight black&white model that is similar to the Kindle paperwhite, for many of the reasons already given. But since getting an Apple iPad Mini, I have been doing all of my e-reading on that device, including news and library books. (Like everyday and all the time!) With the apps I can read books in my Nook collection and also content intended for Kindle devices. Rather than carry multiple devices on my travels, I just bring the iPad while the dedicated ereader gathers dust. :(

The new Libby app for the Overdrive ebook service used by many libraries is especially easy to use on the iPad. I have library cards from library systems in to different counties and can easily check out a book from either system without worrying which library I am looking at.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 pm

I’ve used all the different Kindles for extended periods of time. If money is no object, I would get the Oasis. Better backlight, more comfortable to hold, faster pageturns, and page turn buttons. The Voyage is almost as good as the Oasis.

If money is an object, the Paperwhite is just fine. Now that I’m paying for it myself, I have a Paperwhite.

I personally don’t believe in covers. The Oasis comes wih a battery cover which you need to keep the thing charged, but I’ve never been able to do any real damage to an uncovered Kindle, even when I was trying to abuse it.

If you’re reading books with pictures, an iPad works better. I use the iPad for financial books with charts and graphs. But for books that are mostly text, the kindle is lighter and much easier on the eyes.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Pam01 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:08 pm
An e-reader does not have to be charged as often though. A tablet probably has to be charged every day.
It's going to be dependent on how much you use it. A few hours per day is not going to require that frequent of recharging. That's what nighttime is for.

scotgirl100

Post by scotgirl100 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:14 pm

I started with Nook reader as well. At the time libraries wouldn't do Kindle. I now have both older Nook and Paperwhite Kindle. I like the Kindle a lot. It is light weight and holds battery power a long time. I also have an 2nd generation iPad. Yes you can have either the Nook or Kindle app on the iPad but it is an awkward size. Probably the iPad mini would be better. However OP mentioned need for reading newspapers etc. I only do that on my iPad. I get the Chicago Tribune e-newspaper. It is almost like having the actual paper newspaper. I don't think e-newspapers would work well on any of the e-readers.

Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:56 pm

OP here..

Thank you for the information......I am a neophyte with this stuff so bare with me as I ask what might seem like dumb questions:

I've read most of the post (perhaps too quickly) but still have questions....

1). The Kindle Paperwhite or Voyage does NOT come with an independent power adapter...has to be purchased separately....is that correct?

2). Neither come with an individual cover....has to be purchased separately...is that correct?

3). Do either come with color display or is black and white to only type available....?

Thank you

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

scotgirl100 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:14 pm
Yes you can have either the Nook or Kindle app on the iPad but it is an awkward size. Probably the iPad mini would be better.
The Mini is an 8-inch screen, so similar to a number of e-readers. I can hold it in one hand reasonably easily, although I can't hit page advance.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:30 pm

I love my Nook HD+ From what I hear it is superior to the newer models, so you would have to get a refurbished one.

It is 9 inch, color display, comes with 32 GB. I bought an extra 32GB, but I have about 1000 books on it and have not had to use the extra storage. Brightness is adjustable. It has a bunch of apps, google maps, web access. I can read Word documents on it but not edit them. There is some sort of buyable version of Word for editing, but I haven't forked out for that.

I load it up with books via USB from my Windows system where it looks like a disk, since I am too cheap to fork out for home wireless. I use Calibre to convert them to epub before transferring them. I use the built in Nook reader, not Kindle.

Ever since I found out that if you close your Amazon account they delete all your books, I have stayed an arm's length away from Kindle. I buy some Amazon books, download them to Kindle for pc, drag and drop them to Calibre, convert them, drag and drop them to the nook. Then I delete them from the pc Kindle directory to save space.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:30 pm
I load it up with books via USB from my Windows system where it looks like a disk, since I am too cheap to fork out for home wireless. I use Calibre to convert them to epub before transferring them. I use the built in Nook reader, not Kindle.
I still don't have wifi at home either. I had been using iTunes to manage everything on the iPad once I figured out a way to get library books on the device over USB (tricky). When they came out with an update for iTunes in the fall, it removed all of the app management, although it did make it easier to manage books for iBooks. I had to go and find an older iTunes version to get back my lost functionality.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 pm

fishandgolf wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:56 pm
OP here..

Thank you for the information......I am a neophyte with this stuff so bare with me as I ask what might seem like dumb questions:

I've read most of the post (perhaps too quickly) but still have questions....

1). The Kindle Paperwhite or Voyage does NOT come with an independent power adapter...has to be purchased separately....is that correct?

2). Neither come with an individual cover....has to be purchased separately...is that correct?

3). Do either come with color display or is black and white to only type available....?

Thank you
1) I believe that’s correct, but they use a standard USB charger, just like Android phones, so you may not need to buy anything.

2) also correct, but if you’re not going to abuse it, you don’t need a cover. Even if you are going to abuse it, you probably don’t need a cover. When I travel, I just throw my uncovered Paperwhite into my pack with everything else.

3) black and white only.

KALS

Post by KALS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 pm

3) black and white only
I don't believe e-ink is available in color from anyone, only black and white. For color, one needs a tablet device.

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm

I love my e-reader (still have a Kindle 3 from several years ago, but still works as good as new), sadly I just don't have as much time for reading these days (kids!).

The black & white e-Ink screens are great for reading: easier on the eyes than backlit LCD screens, can be read even outdoors in sunlight (it doesn't get washed out by the sun), and the battery lasts much much longer (weeks instead of hours).

Of course, they're not good for watching movies, color graphic novels, and the like. But for text-based books (or a few black & white illustrations are fine), they're great.

E-books are often cheaper as well, including lots of free public domain books or very low-cost options out there. And you can buy new books and start reading them almost instantly, no trip to the store.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 pm

I decided that these things are so inexpensive that I would just get the best. The newest and most expensive is the Kindle Oasis. It has several features that the others do not have. I am sure many will disagree with me and yes, it costs about 150 more but at your age, so what? Comfort is very important.

KALS

Post by KALS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Kindle lovers might enjoy this podcast, The Kindle Chronicles, The Friday Podcast All About Your Kindle. I've been listening for years.

http://www.thekindlechronicles.com

Available through iTunes also.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:48 pm

According to amazon, I'm on my seventh kindle! I've also used an ipad, surface pro, galaxy tab, and a couple other tablets. It's a perk of my job.

Currently, I use a kindle paperwhite and a current HD.

The HD is great for movies, games, and general web surfing.

But there is NOTHING that can compare to the paper white! If you are just interested in reading books, magazines, and newspapers, it is the ideal unit. As other have mentioned, it works great in bright or dim light, the battery life is unmatched, and it is so light and easy to hold!

But if you also want to surf the web or read nonfiction (with photos), a color tablet is better. Reading BW on them is generally OK, but not as pleasant as on a paperwhite.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:29 pm

My favorite for reading is the paperwhite. I get eyestrain and the paperwhite is much easier on the eyes. I also have an iPad and a Galaxy tablet with nook and Kindle apps, but reading is a much nicer experience on the paperwhite.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:48 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 pm
I’ve used all the different Kindles for extended periods of time. If money is no object, I would get the Oasis. Better backlight, more comfortable to hold, faster pageturns, and page turn buttons. The Voyage is almost as good as the Oasis.

If money is an object, the Paperwhite is just fine. Now that I’m paying for it myself, I have a Paperwhite.
This^
paperwhite is great, Oasis is amazing! Oasis includes Bluetooth in case you want to enjoy audible books during your recovery

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 pm

gravlax wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm
Like you, I was deciding between the paperwhite and the voyage. I read one of the Amazon reviews by someone who had both, and they said that the way the battery runs along the side of the voyage makes it inconvenient to switch hands while reading. You can probably find the review for more details.
That's the Oasis. The Voyage is perfectly symmetrical, the Oasis has the battery hump on one side. I actually think it makes it dramatically easier to hold with either hand, though you do have to turn it over when you switch.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:09 pm

A couple of comments about the Kindle;

1) The kindle comes with a $20 discount for "with special offers". This is just an ad on the screen when you have it turned off. You don't see anything when you are using it. I don't find it worth the money to get rid of that.

2) Reading for hours on an e-reader is much different than using a Fire tablet or iPad and well is worth the paying the extra money for if you will be reading for long periods of time. I have both a Kindle and a Fire and when I have read on the Fire it is noticeably not as good and not something that you would just get used to.

3) I just use an inexpensive Neoprene case which is basically a bag that I take my Kindle out of when I am using it. I much prefer this to using an attached case which would add weight to the kindle when I am using it.

4) The majority of things that I read on my Kindle are downloaded from my library and they have a LOT of downloadable books. Before you buy a new device be sure to check your local library to see what formats you can download books in.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 pm

Watty wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:09 pm

4) The majority of things that I read on my Kindle are downloaded from my library and they have a LOT of downloadable books. Before you buy a new device be sure to check your local library to see what formats you can download books in.
If library ebooks are important to you I'll second the recommendation to check your local library format now, and ask if they have plans to change. One of my libraries dropped Overdrive about a year ago and now uses Cloud Library. Overdrive supports Kindle format; Cloud Library does not. I protested the change several times to my library management. Apparently its a cost saving initiative. It's a large step backward in ease of use and impacts kindle readers unless you purchase your books.

ThePrince

Post by ThePrince » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:00 pm

fishandgolf wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:02 pm
Have a surgery coming up in a couple of weeks (repairing left wheel :annoyed ) that'll put me down for 6-8 weeks so I'm in the market for an E-reader; never owned one before.

Most of my reading consists of the WSJ hard copy and on occasion.....when the paper doesn't show up, then I access the digital form from my laptop. I do most of my other reading from my laptop....mostly articles and short papers.....nothing extremely lengthy such as a book. Books that I've read have been hard cover.

I am seriously considering an E-reader because of the vast amount of books, materials available...

I have only done cursory research on two E-readers: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Voyage........at first glance, I am leaning toward the Voyage.

Those of you that own or have owned an E-reader:

What has been your experience........good or bad....... :?:

Do you have a preferred model or brand :?:
I have the Voyage and it is awesome.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Reading for hours on an e-reader is much different than using a Fire tablet or iPad and well is worth the paying the extra money for if you will be reading for long periods of time. I have both a Kindle and a Fire and when I have read on the Fire it is noticeably not as good and not something that you would just get used to.
I'd say that's a personal issue. I use both and move between them with no problem at all.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:18 pm

Here's another E-reader point: memory size.

You only need big memory if your plan is to keep all your books on the reader forever. In my case, several hundred e-books in, I delete the vast majority once I've finished them. I see no need to back to that Grisham book in the future.

Of course, if I change my mind, I can re-download it later.

The smaller memory, say 8 gig, keeps oodles of books on hand.

Gary Guss

Post by Gary Guss » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:36 pm

I have a Kobo has built in night light and E ink screen.. get about a month on a charge. Takes about any format you can throw at it. Love that thing! Also download Calibre software and us it to manage your books and news feed, works great, I've been using it for about 10 years now. https://ca.kobobooks.com/products/kobo- ... n=Aura%202

Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:07 am

OP here.........

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions....very helpful in making my decision. :D

Based on the overwhelming support and very favorable comments for the Kindle Paperwhite, I just placed an order for one; paid extra for shipping; s/b here tomorrow. :D

Our local library does support and provide ebook materials. I need to spend a few days to get acquainted with their system, then start to build my inventory. I only read non-fiction material so I will begin to peruse their site to see what is available.

I do have subscription for hard and digital copy of WSJ....not sure if I can get this on my new Paperwhite but will check it out. I've got much to learn, but excited about this new tool...or toy?

Thanks again.........and Happy New Year :sharebeer

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 am

heartwood wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 pm

If library ebooks are important to you I'll second the recommendation to check your local library format now, and ask if they have plans to change. One of my libraries dropped Overdrive about a year ago and now uses Cloud Library. Overdrive supports Kindle format; Cloud Library does not. I protested the change several times to my library management. Apparently its a cost saving initiative. It's a large step backward in ease of use and impacts kindle readers unless you purchase your books.
I was unable to find which formats Cloud Library supports, but Calibre will do a number of format conversions. I have only used the to epub feature, but that works well.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:30 pm

mouses wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 am
heartwood wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 pm

I was unable to find which formats Cloud Library supports, but Calibre will do a number of format conversions. I have only used the to epub feature, but that works well.
If you google "cloud library" you get references to it being the successor to the 3M Cloud Library. My experience is that you can only read materials in the Cloud Library app or web site. I may be wrong, but believe you have no access to the files themselves only the ability to read them in the app. I've found no way to read them on kindle apps or others. Its a closed ecosystem. With a lousy front end.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:13 pm

I have had a Kindle Paperwhite for several years now. However, it has been a while since I actually used it except when traveling. I tend to read e-books on my computer instead, with the larger screen. It is great for people that read away from home or who don't want to read on a computer, primarily because you can carry an entire library on it and also make purchases whenever you want. Most of the books that I have I did not pay for, however, because there are so many free books available.

I found that I really needed a cover for it that opens like a book because I am so used to holding a book when reading and do not use a tablet or cell phone so that I found it a bit awkward to handle and hold without the cover. If you use it while commuting or similar situations where your reading is interrupted, a cover with an embedded magnet that puts the e-reader to sleep when the cover is close and wakes it up when the cover is opened is also very handy. Some also act as an easel if that appeals to you.

You don't need to buy an Amazon-branded cover or charger. There are plenty of less-expensive third-party ones available.