Recommend me a backpack for business use

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Casper
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by Casper » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

I'd love to hear recommendations for a nice backpack for professional/business use. I've always used a leather briefcase/shoulder bag, and will continue to do so when necessary, but am interested in a nice looking, functional backpack for everyday use to/from work. Bonus if it can double as a carry-on with a zippered compartment for clothes. Rollers aren't necessary.

I've seen a few online from the likes of Samsonite and Swissgear. Interested in opinions on any of those, as well as any other brands I should look at.

Thanks, Bogleheads.

German Expat
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by German Expat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 am

I am travelling a lot for business and like backpacks. I am using Tumi for years and currently use the following:

https://www.tumi.com/p/tumi-t-pass%C2%A ... E-026578D2

I bought it after the TSA allowed to leave your laptop in if it is a T-Pass backpack (unfortunately never caught on international so still need to take it out there). Not a big deal anymore if you get TSA Pre since you can leave your laptop in regardless.

It is a bit on the pricey side and does not fill your requirement to pack clothes.

I use it daily to work, it was on a lot of flights (way more then 1 million miles) and holds up extremely well. You can see it used by a lot of heavy travelers. I was at meetings where people did grab mine because it was the same. I am not a big spender on luggage in general (e.g. my carry on sized spinner is from Costco) but this was a very good purchase.

My wife also uses a smaller Tumi backpack for travel and work and is also very happy with it. We both have the ballistic nylon and I would not consider the leather version.

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 884
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by Jazztonight » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 pm

The quality and function of Tom Bihn products is amazing. DW and I have been very happy with our daypacks, etc.
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/bri ... enger-bags
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

onourway
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by onourway » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Second the Tom Bihn suggestion. The look may or may not appeal to you, but after a lifetime of trying all manner of backpacks and shoulder bags, my Tom Bihn backpack is far and away the best designed piece I've ever used. I'm able to carry more stuff in a much smaller bag because of how well it is organized. Fantastically built as well.

User avatar
mhc
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: NoCo

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by mhc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:29 pm

I use a black North Face laptop backpack. I can easily get 3 days of cloths and my laptop into the backpack. I really like it. It is semi-formal looking. It is all I take on short business trips.

trueson1
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:40 am

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by trueson1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:39 pm

I have had Swissgear (Wenger) Legacy for 3 years. Best I have ever had. Also look at Synergy or Pegasus.

quantumFlamethrower
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:50 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by quantumFlamethrower » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Timbuk2 and Incase are to very popular brands in SF among techies

https://www.timbuk2.com/laptop-backpack ... refv1=Work

https://www.incase.com/products/bags/backpacks

BW1985
Posts: 1749
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by BW1985 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm

German Expat wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 am
I am travelling a lot for business and like backpacks. I am using Tumi for years and currently use the following:

https://www.tumi.com/p/tumi-t-pass%C2%A ... E-026578D2

I bought it after the TSA allowed to leave your laptop in if it is a T-Pass backpack (unfortunately never caught on international so still need to take it out there). Not a big deal anymore if you get TSA Pre since you can leave your laptop in regardless.

It is a bit on the pricey side and does not fill your requirement to pack clothes.

I use it daily to work, it was on a lot of flights (way more then 1 million miles) and holds up extremely well. You can see it used by a lot of heavy travelers. I was at meetings where people did grab mine because it was the same. I am not a big spender on luggage in general (e.g. my carry on sized spinner is from Costco) but this was a very good purchase.

My wife also uses a smaller Tumi backpack for travel and work and is also very happy with it. We both have the ballistic nylon and I would not consider the leather version.
+1. I'm also partital to Tumi ballistic nylon bags, but ofcourse there are cheaper options than Tumi.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

bloom2708
Posts: 4463
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 pm

I use a Thule Crossover every day. Sling (one strap) versus two on a regular backpack.

Here is the backpack version:

https://www.backcountry.com/thule-cross ... pack|mt:be

Here is the sling version:

https://www.botach.com/thule-crossover-sling-backpack/

There are different sizes. 25L, 32L

Very durable and good compartments.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Maya1234
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by Maya1234 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 pm

A lot of our clients are in branding / marketing businesses and the Tumi backpack would be one of the few ( other than high fashion lines) that we’d feel comfortable carrying in to a client meeting.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3970
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 pm

High end vendors to look at:
Tumi (What I've used for years)
Briggs and Riley

Lower tier vendors to look at (still well made):
Swiss Gear
High Siera

skteam
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:03 pm

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by skteam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Chrome Industries makes a great bag. Mine has held up through more than 400,000 miles of travel!

BigPrince
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by BigPrince » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 pm

This recommendation is more of a travel bag but I think it looks professional enough to consider for business.

~"Tortuga is the Apple of backpacks." - Snarky Nomad (He actually didn't say that but compared them in his review to Apple)

https://www.tortugabackpacks.com

User avatar
EyeYield
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 pm
Location: Extremistan

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by EyeYield » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm

A relatively new company you've probably never heard of, Hylete, makes some pretty sturdy backpacks.
https://www.hylete.com/backpacks

I chose this one, which is pretty versatile. It separates into two packs and works great as a carry on, duffle, hand held, as well as a backpack.
Check out the video to see the features.
https://www.hylete.com/icon-6-in-1-back ... k-40-liter

You can buy stock in the company and get further discounts.
https://www.hylete.com/invest
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

User avatar
facepalm
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:50 am

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by facepalm » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:12 pm

I am a huge fan of GoRuck backpacks. The GR1, specifically. No branding/logo, well built, made in the USA if that matters to you. I really like the laptop compartment on the GR1 and how easily accessible it is without having to delve into the inside of the bag. Enough pockets to store the essentials, but not too many so you don't misplace things. Lastly, the bags are indestructible and come with a lifetime repair warranty.

https://www.goruck.com/gr1/

Ignore the Special Forces marketing on the site; most people that buy the bag are not Mil.

Tom Bihn also makes nice bags.

stoptothink
Posts: 4298
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:23 pm

EyeYield wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm
A relatively new company you've probably never heard of, Hylete, makes some pretty sturdy backpacks.
https://www.hylete.com/backpacks

I chose this one, which is pretty versatile. It separates into two packs and works great as a carry on, duffle, hand held, as well as a backpack.
Check out the video to see the features.
https://www.hylete.com/icon-6-in-1-back ... k-40-liter

You can buy stock in the company and get further discounts.
https://www.hylete.com/invest
My brother, former military who now works in oil & gas in Saudi Arabia (constantly traveling), has the 60L pack and absolutely loves it. IMO, there is absolutely no reason to spend more than $150 on a backpack unless you are carrying a week's worth of stuff for a hiking trip. The hylete options fit right in in a corporate environment and are extremely durable.

apex84
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:51 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by apex84 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Have used Tom Bihn bags for over 20 years. Highly recommended.

Pacific
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Lost in the middle of the Pacific

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by Pacific » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:57 pm


HIinvestor
Posts: 1586
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:38 pm

You may wish to go to a few stores that carry several brands and bring a few of the larger things you’d want to carry in your bag to see how they’d feel in the bag when it’s loaded.

I have the SwissGear weekender that I, H and D all got for Christmas. I purchased them at Sam’s club fit under $30 apiece. They unzip all the way like a suitcase and can be carried as a briefcase or worn as a backpack. They are perfect as a carry on or fir short weekend trips. They have a padded compartment for electronics and RFID blocked sleeve. At Target and SwissGear, the same bag is $60.

User avatar
hand
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by hand » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:09 pm

facepalm wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:12 pm
I am a huge fan of GoRuck backpacks. The GR1, specifically. No branding/logo, well built, made in the USA if that matters to you. I really like the laptop compartment on the GR1 and how easily accessible it is without having to delve into the inside of the bag. Enough pockets to store the essentials, but not too many so you don't misplace things. Lastly, the bags are indestructible and come with a lifetime repair warranty.

https://www.goruck.com/gr1/

Ignore the Special Forces marketing on the site; most people that buy the bag are not Mil.

Tom Bihn also makes nice bags.
+1 on GoRuck as indestructible and very functional as a laptop backpack if you don't mind slightly overbuilt and the military-esque Velcro patch.
I've used a GoRuck bag similar to the GR1 for years of travel and have been very happy.

Great bag for road warriors / commuters, though might be a bit unpolished for some business applications.

User avatar
badbreath
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:50 pm

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by badbreath » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:32 pm

quantumFlamethrower »

Timbuk2

https://www.timbuk2.com/laptop-backpack ... refv1=Work
I have used Timbuk2 for years. Very high quality and durability.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

Casper
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Recommend me a backpack for business use

Post by Casper » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 pm

Thank you everyone for the excellent suggestions!

Post Reply