Effects of extreme cold weather

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AAA

Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by AAA » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm

With temperatures in the single digits and teens in the northeast, I'm noticing some things -

First, if my car is parked outside, as I approach my car and unlock it, it makes a barely audible siren-like sound. I called the dealer's service department and they said a lot of people are calling with strange things the cars are doing. The didn't think it was anything serious and the car is running fine.

Second, I went into my attic and saw water drops on top of some of the items there. Doing a little research, I think it may be condensation forming on the roof nails which are exposed to the outside temperatures on one end.

Finally, the low tire pressure warning has come on in both of our cars.

What new or unexpected things are happening to you?

Boglegrappler

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Boglegrappler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm

The tire pressure light is a common thing as temperatures fall.

The noise in the car is a bit different, but there are some vehicles that have some diagnostic procedures that happen when the car is just sitting. There is a fuel evaporation purge that happens in Toyotas about six hours or so after the engine is turned off. Check your manual or the message boards about noises from a car that isn't running. Its not typically temperature related.

Ideally, your attic shouldn't have anything in it but "outside" air, which wouldn't cause condensation. In practice, some "inside" air, which has moisture in it, might get there, and would condense in the right circumstances.

Two years ago we had a burst pipe fitting during a freeze. It made a sharp, firecracker or gunshot type noise, and it wasn't till the thaw that it became clear that there had been a rupture. I think the noise was because the failure was catastrophic and sudden, rather than just slowly being deformed by the increasing pressure. The leak happened three days later when it warmed up.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 pm

On Saturday here the high was -17. (Fargo, ND)

I did a few errands and the check engine light came on in my car. Code was running rich on bank 1 and 2. I assume the Mass Airflow Sensor had ice buildup or the air was so cold/dense that it didn't register on the computer right. I cleared the code and it has been fine.

Even at low humidity levels ice forms on the bottom of our home windows. These are triple windows that are efficient. We had one lose the argon gas. It is so cold that that a beautiful oval of frost forms on the inside of the 3 panes. The outside pane is being sucked in so it bows in and virtually touches the inside pane. This transfers the cold and condensation freezes in a frosty oval. Crazy stuff.

The furnace runs a lot, so the upstairs in a two story gets warmer. Not a thing I can do about it. All vents closed on the top level. Fan running 50 minutes of every hour. Then, on top of it, it has been very sunny. So the sun beats on the south side of the house artificially warming the main level. The sun causes the frost to melt and drip. It also means the basement is colder because the furnace doesn't run during the sunny day.

1st world problems I guess. Not much I can do but cry a little. :shock:
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm

Strangest effect I ever saw was, around the morning it was -27 in Southeast Michigan a couple years ago, my wife convinced me to move to California.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:59 pm

(meh...CA’s too crowded, so nobody goes there anymore. stay where you are. :twisted: )
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:06 am

I’m considering moving to Hawaii, I’m in SoCal now. We have the fireplace on for weeks now. I’m hibernating more. Too cold to go outside. I’m having a hard time losing the weight I gained after a good Xmas.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:10 am

^ Not sure if serious, but some people do feel that way which is funny. I actually went to the beach twice today.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 am

Many years ago I had a newish 1996 Honda Civic. It was incredibly basic, with an AM only radio, torture chair seats, no trunk light, no A/C, and no power steering, no power windows, and no power door locks. But the worst thing was the heater. The very fine pile of sunshine just couldn't deal with winter, and I had to park outside because I wasn't yet making garage money. One morning when it was -25 or so, I started it up, letting it run for a very long time. I couldn't get the side windows to clear, probably because the car had no detectable levels of insulation. So I decided to roll the windows down and drive to work, which was accomplished by spinning a little lever with a knob on the end. As soon as I moved the little lever, there was a clunk sound that let me know my day was about to get worse, and the window proceeded to free-fall down into the door and stay there. I decided it was time to save enough to buy a proper car.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:13 am

When I am out in the cold for a reasonable amount of time, I personally lose the ability to speak normal!! I become stumble over my words as if my native language is my second language!! It is not that my lips are shaken because of cold, it is something in my brain as it acts like it is losing what it has learnt!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:20 am

This is the first winter with my husband's new car. It was about -10 the other day when we were in the car and, when backing up, the sensor which detects an object in the path sounded. The rear camera showed nothing and we knew nothing was there. The sensor's monitor highlighted the right rear of the vehicle. Aah... it was the freezing exhaust that the sensor was detecting!
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 am

I'm having a hard time leaving the house. Yesterday I refused to leave until the temperature rose above 0 degrees....

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 am

Windshield cracked end to end w no point of impact likely due to temperature related stress fracture of the glass plate

snowox

Post by snowox » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:44 am

Its been brutal in the arctic midwest where i live. And as I get older like I use to hear others say it really sucks. That squealing your hearing is probably just your belt needing to warm up. Doubt a big deal. I too as someone mentioned all of a sudden got a crack in windshield as my vehicle is the one that sits outside. Oddly its right where the window meats the roof dead center of the rearview mirror mount. Definately can tell to not from a rock or a flying object. I pumped gas the other day, took my glove off to grab the nozzle and was like instant frost bite on my hand. Luckily it wasnt but wow did that sting/burn almost instantly.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:59 am

A long time ago on a January road trip to Maine with a van full of guys from the deep south.... the road signs said something about frost heave warnings and moose... we found out what both meant.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:11 am

It was -33 here yesterday morning, my wife's car wouldn't start. My truck with synthetic oil did, so she was able to go to work. According to long time residents it's never been this cold this early in the season.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 am

AAA wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm
This may not be a malfunction and your tires may actually be low.

The tire pressure changes about 1 pound for every 10 degrees in temperature change.

https://www.lesschwab.com/learn/article ... -heres-why

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 am

Watty wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 am

The tire pressure changes about 1 pound for every 10 degrees in temperature change.
Yes, I figured that was the case. We won't be driving much for the next few days so I'll skip putting air in them as I'm hoping once temperatures get back to the 30's and higher the pressure will be okay again.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 am

One of my garage door openers jammed open and wouldn't close (went beyond the limit switch and hit the hard stop). Happens any time temps fall below roughly 5F, not really sure why. Tonight after work I have to take it apart and try and remember how I sorted it out last time.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:48 am

Boglegrappler wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm
Ideally, your attic shouldn't have anything in it but "outside" air, which wouldn't cause condensation. In practice, some "inside" air, which has moisture in it, might get there, and would condense in the right circumstances.

It shouldn't, but most do; unless you have an ultralight passive house with forced ventilation. Houses are not hermetically sealed. The average modern code house changes all the interior air every few hours, a leaky older home may do so up to a couple times per hour. In the winter the fresh replacement air is being sucked in via your basement , windows and doors, and its all exhausting out though the ceiling into your attic.

If the attic is properly vented to code, outside air should be diluting that and keeping it cold and relatively dry up there, but it wont remove it all.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 am

The seat warmer in my 2011 Ford has stopped working as of this morning. :annoyed When I turn it on, it turns itself off in about 5 seconds.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 am

I had to bring the garage door remote into the house; in my unheated garage, it got too cold to work, presumably because of the batteries. Also, my breezeway light (probably a CFL, can't remember) has given up on the coldest nights only to wake up again when the sun comes back. Because that's when I really need the light.

I've kept my insulation blinds down on my big north windows; there's ice on the inside of those windows now.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 am

My diesel tractor isn't running right. I can start it but it runs a bit then struggles. I'm thinking that either water has condensed in one of the filters or the fuel is cold enough that it's started to gel. Hopefully it warms up enough before we get any real snow. We're getting snow tomorrow but less than a foot, so not what I'd consider a "real" snowstorm.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 am

Wheb you blink and your eyelids feel like they get stuck closed.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:21 am

My remote start does not engage below 13 degrees Fahrenheit. :(

Also, I find myself searching Sarasota, FL real estate during breaks at work. :happy

Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:29 am

Watty wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 am
AAA wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm

https://www.lesschwab.com/learn/article ... -heres-why
My tire warning lights come on like clockwork when it gets really cold.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 am

Every time it gets really cold, the AC condenser for my server room locks up. This causes the temperature in the room to rise from 70 degrees to 95 in about 15 minutes. Great fun! Propping the doors open (major security violation) and turning on the exhaust fan can usually keep it under 100.

Needless to say, we've had the unit fail and need service 3 times since Christmas. I think eliminating those bills alone should pay for the new 8 ton Liebert I just ordered within the first couple of years.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 am

CaliJim wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:59 pm
(meh...CA’s too crowded, so nobody goes there anymore. stay where you are. :twisted: )
Most of us can't afford that state. So we vacation out there, then come home.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 am

jharkin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:48 am
It shouldn't, but most do; unless you have an ultralight passive house with forced ventilation. Houses are not hermetically sealed. The average modern code house changes all the interior air every few hours, a leaky older home may do so up to a couple times per hour. In the winter the fresh replacement air is being sucked in via your basement , windows and doors, and its all exhausting out though the ceiling into your attic.

If the attic is properly vented to code, outside air should be diluting that and keeping it cold and relatively dry up there, but it wont remove it all.
Thanks. I'm running a console humidifier on the first floor. It barely gets the humidity into the high 20% to low 30% range these last few days (without it the gauge would jut read Low). There's no opening to the attic, which is cold, but I assumed some of that humidity is getting in and hitting the roof nails. I just didn't know how.

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 am

fposte wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 am
Also, my breezeway light (probably a CFL, can't remember) has given up on the coldest nights only to wake up again when the sun comes back.
We have a CFL stick light outside our house. Last night, when I turned it on to light up the walkway it only glowed dimly at first but after a minute or so came on full brightness. I never saw that before.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:07 am

El Greco wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:21 am
My remote start does not engage below 13 degrees Fahrenheit. :(

Also, I find myself searching Sarasota, FL real estate during breaks at work. :happy
We are having brutal cold on the west coast of Florida as well.

Today instead of my normal attire of a tee-shirt and a pair of shorts, I have been forced to don a long-sleeved tee-shirt. Can't wait till this wretched weather is over. 44 degrees is just too cold!

Seriously, I hope those of you actually in the cold areas are able to keep warm. The first year we spent Christmas in our then new house we had a freeze.We experienced rolling blackouts, but had a fireplace going.It was in the 20ties.

Weather guys say it is snowing in north Florida.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:17 am

You'll know it's really cold when flames freeze.

One winter, shortly after Paul Bunyan dug Lake Michigan as a drinking hole for his blue ox, Babe, he decided to camp out in the Upper Peninsula. It was so cold in that there logging camp, that one evening, the temperature dropped to 68 degrees below zero. Each degree in the camp thermometer measured sixteen inches long and the flames in the lanterns froze solid. No one, not even Paul Bunyan, could blow them out.

The lumberjacks didn't want the bunkhouse lit at night, because they wouldn't get any sleep. So they put the lanterns way outside of camp where they wouldn't disturb anyone. But they forgot about the lanterns, so that when thaw came in the the early spring, the lanterns flared up again and set all of northern Michigan on fire! They had to wake Paul Bunyan up so he could stamp out the fire with his boots.

From http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/20 ... n_fla.html
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Chip

Post by Chip » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 am

jharkin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 am
One of my garage door openers jammed open and wouldn't close (went beyond the limit switch and hit the hard stop). Happens any time temps fall below roughly 5F, not really sure why. Tonight after work I have to take it apart and try and remember how I sorted it out last time.
Mine did the EXACT same thing. Once it warmed up above 5 it worked again.

I am choosing to wait until it's warmer to fix it. At that time it won't be a problem. :beer

Please let us know here if you figure something out.

Groundhog

Post by Groundhog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 am

Our deck boards make a popping or cracking sound when it get down in the mid teens or lower. Normally happens after it's dark and can be rather loud.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 am

Groundhog wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 am
Our deck boards make a popping or cracking sound when it get down in the mid teens or lower. Normally happens after it's dark and can be rather loud.
we get that too... sounds like a gunshot. I think the boards must freeze together or something and then boom... I hope my hot tub isn't getting ready to plunge through the deck...

-14F here in SW Ohio. Pretty chilly for us. We've had snow on the ground now for over a week and probably till early next week (unusual) as it usually melts within a week or so. I can't complain as we've been sledding in the front yard.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 am
Many years ago I had a newish 1996 Honda Civic. It was incredibly basic, with an AM only radio, torture chair seats, no trunk light, no A/C, and no power steering, no power windows, and no power door locks. But the worst thing was the heater. The very fine pile of sunshine just couldn't deal with winter, and I had to park outside because I wasn't yet making garage money. One morning when it was -25 or so, I started it up, letting it run for a very long time. I couldn't get the side windows to clear, probably because the car had no detectable levels of insulation. So I decided to roll the windows down and drive to work, which was accomplished by spinning a little lever with a knob on the end. As soon as I moved the little lever, there was a clunk sound that let me know my day was about to get worse, and the window proceeded to free-fall down into the door and stay there. I decided it was time to save enough to buy a proper car.
Over the last two decades plus, I've spent more money that I've ever wanted to in order to fix broken power windows (the motor or the lever or the ...). :oops: I would go back to the manual windows any time!

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 am

My car windows are iced over and frozen shut. This is southern South Carolina....

spitty

Post by spitty » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 am

DW tested our pond with a heavy boulder to see if it's frozen--it is. Then she tested it with her derrière--same result. Wish I had that on video..
@HelpingRhinos...1 rhino poached every 8 hours last year...501(c)(3)

Dickerson

Post by Dickerson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 pm

I worked in the oil fields of northern Alaska. Coldest I experienced was minus 65 F. When we took a cup of hot water outdoors and threw it in the air it would turn into an ice fog and float away.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 pm

I like the extreme cold (-5 or colder) because it generally means no snow, and abundant sunshine

Extreme cold has gone away by me, and now we're getting 24" of snow over the next two days

I have issues with my car doors freezing shut, locks freezing up. Knock on wood, no issues with frozen pipes yet.

Other than that, business pretty much as usual. An extra layer or two on a walk or a ski, I wear gloves and a hat driving to work, and do more Netflix and less ice fishing

I hope we get a few more rounds of alberta clippers come through and freeze the Great Lakes over and shut the Lake Effect snow machine down

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Here in Texas, we are having three or four nights in a row where the lows are going below 32 F. I think it maybe made it to 10-15 hours of "hard freeze" at one point. There was a run on pipe insulation at every Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace in a 100 mile radius :D. Ace got a truck load of insulation the day before the "freeze" hit, and there was a line out the door to buy some. It's like water at the grocery store before a hurricane. Thankfully, we'll be back into the 70s this weekend. Good luck to all the Bogleheads in the frozen tundra :beer. I like cold weather, but it's been 15 years since I've had to live in it.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 am
I have two cars, an old Buick and an old Mustang. I usually drive the Buick but I have been planning on driving the Mustang when the snow is cleared up, as part of drive it periodically. However, having read the above and knowing the Mustang windows are epoxied in, I think I won't until it warms up. (Epoxy, not your greatest idea, Ford Motor Company.)

On the bright side, if I drive it into a pond, the window mechanism won't short out.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Dickerson wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 pm
I worked in the oil fields of northern Alaska. Coldest I experienced was minus 65 F. When we took a cup of hot water outdoors and threw it in the air it would turn into an ice fog and float away.
-65F. That is cold. The coldest I've been in is -48F. Just north of here in Northern Minnesota it has been -55, -57 in certain cities in the last 10-15 years. Some friends went ice fishing up by the Canadian border. It got down to -57 or so. They tried to start their newer Ford pickup and the serpentine belt just snapped. :annoyed

Our local weatherman posted a nice little story in the paper today. Some think that -40 and -30 are the same. He said that every degree up or down is the exact same amount of change. 80 and 90 are different. -40 and -30 are different. -55 and -45 are 10 degrees apart. :shock:
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 pm

AAA wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 am
fposte wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 am
Also, my breezeway light (probably a CFL, can't remember) has given up on the coldest nights only to wake up again when the sun comes back.
We have a CFL stick light outside our house. Last night, when I turned it on to light up the walkway it only glowed dimly at first but after a minute or so came on full brightness. I never saw that before.
Whenever it's particularly nippy in the house, the CFL living room ceiling light takes about 5-10 minutes to reach full brightness.

rob

Post by rob » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Car "doors" are just funny in a mini-van with those sliding doors... Great in summer but in winter not always easy to open :(
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 pm

I think our septic system vents are frozen causing periodic odors. It goes away with bathroom fans running and I was able to clear the snow off one of three with a modified snow rake from the ground because I’m not going on an icy roof.

They were working somewhat today (30F) because it smelled outside but smelled it again inside later and we have snow and more cold coming.

Any suggestions before I call the plumber?

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 am

AAA wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 am
jharkin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks. I'm running a console humidifier on the first floor. It barely gets the humidity into the high 20% to low 30% range these last few days (without it the gauge would jut read Low). There's no opening to the attic, which is cold, but I assumed some of that humidity is getting in and hitting the roof nails. I just didn't know how.
Its leaking though all the tiny cracks in the framing etc. lots of ways for air to get in and out you cant even see.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 am

rob wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:25 pm
Car "doors" are just funny in a mini-van with those sliding doors... Great in summer but in winter not always easy to open :(
This reminds me that when I used to park my Mustang outdoors, the doors could freeze shut.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 am

Chip wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 am
jharkin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 am
Mine did the EXACT same thing. Once it warmed up above 5 it worked again.

I am choosing to wait until it's warmer to fix it. At that time it won't be a problem. :beer

Please let us know here if you figure something out.

I did fix it but I still cant explain it. The opener has travel limit adjusters.... these are very simple devices - a long plastic screw with a metal electrical contact on it, that makes contact with a moving slider when the open gets to the limit, closes a circuit and tells the motor to stop.

Not mine, but this is exactly what mine looks like:
https://www.stardoorparts.com/v/vspfile ... %20010.jpg

For some reason when it was zero F, the opener hit the stop contact on the open side, but didn't stop and just kept running until the chain driven shoe hit the physical limit, a bolt in the track that stops it from ramming into the motor box. When this happened the motor strains and a secondary cutoff (the lifting force adjustment) turned it off.

It ended up jammed that way, and to fix it I had to open up the drive box, and with the power unplugged, manually crank the motor backward until it retracted far enough to reset. (easy to do, the motor has a shaft extension you can twist with a pliers).

Once I did that, i plugged it back in and cycled it down/up and the limit adjusters worked as expected.

I dont know why they didn't work in the cold... there wasn't any ice in it, and it doesn't look like anything shrunk from cold enough to prevent the limiter from making contact.

Cashflow

Post by Cashflow » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:21 am

Inspiration to re-read Jack London’s “To Build a Fire”.

Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:54 am

jharkin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 am
I dont know why they didn't work in the cold... there wasn't any ice in it, and it doesn't look like anything shrunk from cold enough to prevent the limiter from making contact.
Thanks for the update. I did nothing to "fix" mine. After trying repeatedly to close it electrically I disconnected the door and closed it manually. Even with the traveler disconnected the opener wouldn't work. It was giving me the flashing lights that it gives when the safety sensor is tripped or it reverses due to an obstruction.

Once it warmed up it worked fine without any mechanical intervention, then failed in the same manner the next morning in similar temperatures.

I am not sure if mine hit the hard stop like yours. I will check closely the next time it fails. Which should be tomorrow morning, given the forecast temperatures.

Googling around I see several sites suggesting condensation on the photocells, but that seems unlikely to me. It's been pretty dry here. But I will check them next time. Another possibility is that the lube viscosity has risen enough that it's tripping the force limits.