Effects of extreme cold weather

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3332
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:17 am

Many years ago living up north in the land of the frozen tundra, I drove to work and parked my car in the open parking lot covered in ice. At quitting time it started up grudgingly because of the cold but when I put it in gear and let off the clutch, the car would only stall. I did this repeatedly giving it more gas but always with the same result. I don't remember how I made the determination but eventually I figured out my tires were frozen to the ground and the car's 98 horsepower weren't enough to break it free. I gave each one a kick with my heal to "break" it loose and was able to successfully drive home.

Limoncello402
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Limoncello402 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Ugh. Dealing today with a cracked frozen radiator and ice all around the hardwood floor. Heating guy is here for hours. Not a pretty sight. We are in an extreme cold snap that is continuing for days on end (MN).

TwstdSista
Posts: 917
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:11 pm

I just watched a guy try to shovel his way through the snow. Totally got stuck, but a very nice plow guy came by and hooked him up.

Reubin
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Reubin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm

Watch out for freezing pipes in your home which can eventually burst. Keep cold water at least at a trickle at your faucet to help prevent this. Even pipes near exterior walls can freeze quickly in these bitter conditions. A few years ago, while I was vacationing, the water pipes into the house at the water meter froze up and we didn't have any water for 3 weeks. No toilets, no showers, no tap water. This was a catastrophe. To me, leaving the water at a trickle is worth whatever it costs not to have to deal with these major issues again.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2098
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Limoncello402 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:05 pm
Ugh. Dealing today with a cracked frozen radiator and ice all around the hardwood floor. Heating guy is here for hours. Not a pretty sight. We are in an extreme cold snap that is continuing for days on end (MN).
"Ugh" is right. Good luck.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17284
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by dm200 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:51 pm

I now live in the less frigid Washington DC area (although very, very cold now), but many years ago, when I lived in the colder foothills of the Catskills (NY State) and had a 60's VW Beetle - sometimes in the winter cold, my car would often barely turn over with the starter to start.

User avatar
KlingKlang
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by KlingKlang » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:51 pm
I now live in the less frigid Washington DC area (although very, very cold now), but many years ago, when I lived in the colder foothills of the Catskills (NY State) and had a 60's VW Beetle - sometimes in the winter cold, my car would often barely turn over with the starter to start.
My father had one of the original VW Beetles in the 60's with the 6 volt battery under the back seat. We lived in NE Ohio with a detached garage, he used to leave a 'trouble light' burning under the back hood on cold winter nights. I frequently had to push start him.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 17284
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by dm200 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:58 pm

KlingKlang wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:51 pm
I now live in the less frigid Washington DC area (although very, very cold now), but many years ago, when I lived in the colder foothills of the Catskills (NY State) and had a 60's VW Beetle - sometimes in the winter cold, my car would often barely turn over with the starter to start.
My father had one of the original VW Beetles in the 60's with the 6 volt battery under the back seat. We lived in NE Ohio with a detached garage, he used to leave a 'trouble light' burning under the back hood on cold winter nights. I frequently had to push start him.
Mine was a 12 volt '67 - battery also under back seat.

2015
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by 2015 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:42 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:06 am
I’m considering moving to Hawaii, I’m in SoCal now. We have the fireplace on for weeks now. I’m hibernating more. Too cold to go outside. I’m having a hard time losing the weight I gained after a good Xmas.
Fireplace? This has been a very warm "winter" in Los Angeles (if there is such a thing), IMO. I was still wearing shorts/tank tops in mid-December and only put away the fan a couple weeks ago. I've graduated to shorts and t-shirts but can't go any further because daytime temps aren't getting below 70. Tonight, extremely hot after walking home from the gym (in shorts/tank top), I was tempted to pull the fan back out again to cool down. I guess you could say it's cold overnight and in the morning, if you call the low 50's cold, and even then it's back up to the 70's by midday. Last week it was even 80! Maybe you just don't want to exercise? :D

mt
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by mt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 pm

I spent a winter stationed in Alaska. That year we had a lot of days with a low of -20 and a high of -10. Then on days when it warmed up to 10 above zero you could feel the warmth in the air.

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 1322
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 pm

2015 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:42 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:06 am
I’m considering moving to Hawaii, I’m in SoCal now. We have the fireplace on for weeks now. I’m hibernating more. Too cold to go outside. I’m having a hard time losing the weight I gained after a good Xmas.
Fireplace? This has been a very warm "winter" in Los Angeles (if there is such a thing), IMO. I was still wearing shorts/tank tops in mid-December and only put away the fan a couple weeks ago. I've graduated to shorts and t-shirts but can't go any further because daytime temps aren't getting below 70. Tonight, extremely hot after walking home from the gym (in shorts/tank top), I was tempted to pull the fan back out again to cool down. I guess you could say it's cold overnight and in the morning, if you call the low 50's cold, and even then it's back up to the 70's by midday. Last week it was even 80! Maybe you just don't want to exercise? :D
Maybe you are a lot hairier than I am :D; and I’m normally a warm person. I rarely wear sweater in my bridge club even though a lot of other people wear sweaters and such. I’m always a flip flop and t-shirt gal. But not lately, not since school ended which was Dec18-20.
It’s true, that’s when my exercise ended and I got lazy.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by ClevrChico » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:02 pm

I placed a bottle of wine on the patio on New Year's Eve to quick chill. The glass bottle froze to the concrete.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1591
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:08 am

Brrr, reading all of this is making me cold! Hopefully this cold weather will get our kids to d code to move back closer to Honolulu, but we shall see.

We are having nippy weather for us, but nothing compared to what others are experiencing. Hope everyone stays safe and keeps power and no one has pipes freeze!

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by siamond » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:12 am

AAA wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm
What new or unexpected things are happening to you?
The stock market went up and up in the past couple of days! I've never been that wealthy! :greedy

PFInterest
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by PFInterest » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:17 am

I had to wear a jacket on the drive to work to give the seat heaters time to kick in.
Socal sure can be brutal :mrgreen:

2comma
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by 2comma » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:09 am

We spent one Thanksgiving morning in VA cleaning out the turkey in the bathtub because all the other pipes were frozen. Luckily our guests were from Michigan so he and I went into the crawl space with pots of warm water and used the wet rag technique to get all of the pipes working again. I didn't know you were suppose to close those vents to the crawlspace in winter. I'd gotten away with it for a few winters but this time there was some wind.

So I come home to another house in TN, and hear squish, squish as I walk across the carpet, floor is soaking wet and my heart really sank. Turn the corner to see water dripping from a ceiling light and the top of a window. Up to the attic and the ice maker line is strung from the hot water pipe on the water heater (ours are in the attic here), all the way across the attic to the far outside wall then down to the refrigerator. At least they "insulated" it with 1/4" fiberglass tape. Yeah, I'm no physicist but you've got a 3/8" copper pipe, that water rarely runs thru, that is strung thru the attic for 40' with 1/4" of insulation - that's going to work! Then I found another line in the ceiling that was cut off where it went down to the refrigerator. So they had a line that was running thru the joists, under the 6" insulation, nice and warm that went to an outside wall and that's were it froze and burst the first time. So someone figured if they attached it to the hot water pipe it would help but I'm pretty sure hot water freezes quicker than cold water. Not to mention there is rarely any flow to an ice maker anyway. So I reused the old line, can't remember what I did for the outside wall I think I sprayed foam in there but no issue since.

But I learned something from all this. The insurance company replaced the old attic insulation, primed and painted the ceiling and put algecide on the carpets and ran fans under the carpet until it was all dry. When we were remodeling our bathroom shower I had to run a water pipe down an outside wall and you better believe it was the best insulated pipe in the world.
If I am stupid I will pay.

lazydavid
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:04 am

2comma wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:09 am
So someone figured if they attached it to the hot water pipe it would help but I'm pretty sure hot water freezes quicker than cold water.
Only true in open air, because the difference is due to evaporation. Hot water inside a pipe will take significantly longer to freeze than cold water, because water has a fairly high thermal intertia. Of course, "significantly" may not make a huge difference given the amount of water that a 1/4" line can hold. :P

sawhorse
Posts: 2939
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by sawhorse » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am

Reubin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm
Watch out for freezing pipes in your home which can eventually burst. Keep cold water at least at a trickle at your faucet to help prevent this. Even pipes near exterior walls can freeze quickly in these bitter conditions. A few years ago, while I was vacationing, the water pipes into the house at the water meter froze up and we didn't have any water for 3 weeks. No toilets, no showers, no tap water. This was a catastrophe. To me, leaving the water at a trickle is worth whatever it costs not to have to deal with these major issues again.
Do you have to leave every faucet at a trickle, or just one for the whole home?

neilpilot
Posts: 1743
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by neilpilot » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:36 am

sawhorse wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am
Do you have to leave every faucet at a trickle, or just one for the whole home?
Depends on what you are trying to protect. I'm only concerned about the inlet and outlet lines of my 2 water heaters located in my attic, so I leave one hot water faucet on a sink from EACH water heater dripping.

If I was concerned about individual supply piping freezing, I'd drip from those faucets on sinks mounted to an exterior wall that I wanted to protect, from both the cold and hot water lines.

2015
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by 2015 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 pm
2015 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:42 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:06 am
I’m considering moving to Hawaii, I’m in SoCal now. We have the fireplace on for weeks now. I’m hibernating more. Too cold to go outside. I’m having a hard time losing the weight I gained after a good Xmas.
Fireplace? This has been a very warm "winter" in Los Angeles (if there is such a thing), IMO. I was still wearing shorts/tank tops in mid-December and only put away the fan a couple weeks ago. I've graduated to shorts and t-shirts but can't go any further because daytime temps aren't getting below 70. Tonight, extremely hot after walking home from the gym (in shorts/tank top), I was tempted to pull the fan back out again to cool down. I guess you could say it's cold overnight and in the morning, if you call the low 50's cold, and even then it's back up to the 70's by midday. Last week it was even 80! Maybe you just don't want to exercise? :D
Maybe you are a lot hairier than I am :D; and I’m normally a warm person. I rarely wear sweater in my bridge club even though a lot of other people wear sweaters and such. I’m always a flip flop and t-shirt gal. But not lately, not since school ended which was Dec18-20.
It’s true, that’s when my exercise ended and I got lazy.
I'm just warmer than most as well. I think it's funny to see people here wear winter clothes one day (which always makes me hot just looking at them), and then have to not wear them the next day when it's several degrees warmer. I've found nothing gets and keeps me warm/hot faster than exercising!

Bmac
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Bmac » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Boy, I sure do appreciate the Goldilocks climate of the Pacific Northwest. Pretty much not too hot and not too cold year round.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5104
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm

duplicate
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 5104
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:53 pm

This should cheer up some folks that are having a tough time in the cold.

Northern Arizona, cold and snow.
Image
Hawaii, cold and foggy.
Image
Stay warm fellow Bogleheads.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teague
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Teague » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Boglehead open mic night-

It's was so cold last night...

Crowd: How cold was it?

It was so cold, I woke up this morning and my savings account was frozen.

(rim shot)
Semper Augustus

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2098
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:10 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:36 am
sawhorse wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am
Do you have to leave every faucet at a trickle, or just one for the whole home?
Depends on what you are trying to protect. I'm only concerned about the inlet and outlet lines of my 2 water heaters located in my attic, so I leave one hot water faucet on a sink from EACH water heater dripping.

If I was concerned about individual supply piping freezing, I'd drip from those faucets on sinks mounted to an exterior wall that I wanted to protect, from both the cold and hot water lines.
+1

My rule of thumb is to drip the faucet farthest from where the water line enters the house. In extreme, extended low temps like we have had this past week I drip a couple of others that seem most vulnerable or are at distant points from the primary drip. I have also learned from experience that it is far better to err in the direction of the drip being too fast rather than too slow. I have had some slow drips quit dripping completely during the night--due to lowered water pressure I guess.

I have always dripped only cold water lines. I have never dripped a hot water line (or had one freeze) but would do so if I were concerned about it freezing.

ResearchMed
Posts: 6888
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:10 pm

sawhorse wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am
Reubin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm
Watch out for freezing pipes in your home which can eventually burst. Keep cold water at least at a trickle at your faucet to help prevent this. Even pipes near exterior walls can freeze quickly in these bitter conditions. A few years ago, while I was vacationing, the water pipes into the house at the water meter froze up and we didn't have any water for 3 weeks. No toilets, no showers, no tap water. This was a catastrophe. To me, leaving the water at a trickle is worth whatever it costs not to have to deal with these major issues again.
Do you have to leave every faucet at a trickle, or just one for the whole home?
We have two faucets where the pipes run along exterior walls (in a very old house, with almost no insulation :shock: )

So we drip both of those, but not the other faucets.

Don't forget to have the "hot" side drip, too.
The water in the "hot" pipe isn't "hot", when there hasn't been hot water flowing, and there's just still water stuck in the pipes. At that time, it's not much different from the cold pipe, until water from the water heater starts to flow again.
Our most exposed sink is in a rarely used guest lav, so it could be days since water was running there.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

MI_bogle
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by MI_bogle » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:53 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:10 pm
sawhorse wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am
Reubin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm
Watch out for freezing pipes in your home which can eventually burst. Keep cold water at least at a trickle at your faucet to help prevent this. Even pipes near exterior walls can freeze quickly in these bitter conditions. A few years ago, while I was vacationing, the water pipes into the house at the water meter froze up and we didn't have any water for 3 weeks. No toilets, no showers, no tap water. This was a catastrophe. To me, leaving the water at a trickle is worth whatever it costs not to have to deal with these major issues again.
Do you have to leave every faucet at a trickle, or just one for the whole home?
We have two faucets where the pipes run along exterior walls (in a very old house, with almost no insulation :shock: )

So we drip both of those, but not the other faucets.

Don't forget to have the "hot" side drip, too.
The water in the "hot" pipe isn't "hot", when there hasn't been hot water flowing, and there's just still water stuck in the pipes. At that time, it's not much different from the cold pipe, until water from the water heater starts to flow again.
Our most exposed sink is in a rarely used guest lav, so it could be days since water was running there.

RM
A relative has the same situation. Had the water supply lines freeze up last week. So they ran them on a drip overnight. Well... the drain pipe froze that night, even though the supply was open the following morning. UGH.

2015
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by 2015 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 pm

Bmac wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:11 pm
Boy, I sure do appreciate the Goldilocks climate of the Pacific Northwest. Pretty much not too hot and not too cold year round.
For the longest time, when scouting retirement relocation destinations I strongly considered Portland. Many people, including Californians, cannot abide by the many cloudy/rainy days of the PNW but I have no issue with it as I love the natural beauty. When I took Amtrak up the Pacific Coast to Portland last May, I seemed to have taken the hot weather with me as it was actually hotter in Portland than in Los Angeles, up in the 90's for a couple days! I couldn't believe I traveled all the way from LA only to have to wear tank tops in Portland (I didn't care if most of the locals weren't wearing them, it was hot as Hades to me). Pulling into PDX, I immediately knew that Portland, as lovely as it is, was too large of a city for me. Los Angeles has completely totally irreparably burned me out on living in any city with a population larger than 100K.

GeraniumLover
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by GeraniumLover » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 pm

AAA wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm
With temperatures in the single digits and teens in the northeast, I'm noticing some things -

...

Finally, the low tire pressure warning has come on in both of our cars.
Ask Tom Brady about that one.

Twood
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:15 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Twood » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:40 pm

It's been -5, and wind chills of -25 (nothing abnormal). I love the sun that comes with it. But the car appreciates being plugged in (can do in the garage, not in the work parking lot), and when the kids go out to sled they accidentally shatter the plastic sleds when they run into anything even less solid objects such as bush stems. Hooray for killing off all of the weather-sensitive invading species that like to bite/sting/etc, I love not having to worry about those things while playing outside year round.

Gleops2
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Gleops2 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:52 pm

NW PA here...

I'm looking FORWARD with joy to +28 degrees forecast this Sunday!!!!!! And....OMG...FORTY in mid week!!!!!

That is just crazy talk!!!!

+2 right now, windchills -20's.

When my Mom died two years ago, I inherited boxes of tablecloths and linens that I knew not what to do with....some really pretty things...

Last night I took tablecloths and clothespins and hung them on the windows over the blinds and curtains....These homes were NOT constructed for these prolonged frigid blasts!!! Nor was I!!!! I figure for a few days I can live with the house being all closed in.....

theplayer11
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:11 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 pm
AAA wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm
With temperatures in the single digits and teens in the northeast, I'm noticing some things -

...

Finally, the low tire pressure warning has come on in both of our cars.
Ask Tom Brady about that one.
better yet, ask anyone with a 5th grade understanding of science.

FRT15
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by FRT15 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 pm

This morning my car was blowing cold air for a whole 25 miles commute to work. The engine Temp was regular operating temp. Odd that on the way it was blowing warm. First Time that's happened to me. -9 today.

lazydavid
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:33 am

FRT15 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 pm
This morning my car was blowing cold air for a whole 25 miles commute to work. The engine Temp was regular operating temp. Odd that on the way it was blowing warm. First Time that's happened to me. -9 today.
My engine takes so long to warm up in even moderately cold weather (diesel) that it has an electric auxiliary heater from the factory. As a result, I get warm air faster than in any car I've ever driven--less than 3 minutes after starting.

Billionaire
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Billionaire » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 am

I'd guess a lot of stores are seeing a big drop-off in business. We are going to the mall today, to get some walking exercise and maybe buy something. I need some more long johns, but I suspect the stores are all out.

Bmac
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Bmac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:50 am

2015 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 pm
Bmac wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:11 pm
Boy, I sure do appreciate the Goldilocks climate of the Pacific Northwest. Pretty much not too hot and not too cold year round.
For the longest time, when scouting retirement relocation destinations I strongly considered Portland. Many people, including Californians, cannot abide by the many cloudy/rainy days of the PNW but I have no issue with it as I love the natural beauty. When I took Amtrak up the Pacific Coast to Portland last May, I seemed to have taken the hot weather with me as it was actually hotter in Portland than in Los Angeles, up in the 90's for a couple days! I couldn't believe I traveled all the way from LA only to have to wear tank tops in Portland (I didn't care if most of the locals weren't wearing them, it was hot as Hades to me). Pulling into PDX, I immediately knew that Portland, as lovely as it is, was too large of a city for me. Los Angeles has completely totally irreparably burned me out on living in any city with a population larger than 100K.
You should check out Vancouver, WA or suburbs thereof. Population under 200k, no state income tax and easy access to Portland (no sales tax). Longview, WA much smaller but also farther from PDX.

BHUser27
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 pm
Location: A Midwestern Town

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by BHUser27 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:52 am

Upper midwest here. Several double-digit below zero days within long string of single digits above and below zero.
One effect not mentioned yet is increased visits to the gas station :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag .
I have long range remote start and use it for 10~15 min warm up before and after work.
It seems I am filling up almost twice as often. :oops:

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3557
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Ged » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:17 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 pm
Our local weatherman posted a nice little story in the paper today. Some think that -40 and -30 are the same. He said that every degree up or down is the exact same amount of change. 80 and 90 are different. -40 and -30 are different. -55 and -45 are 10 degrees apart. :shock:
More different than you might guess. Chemical reactions are exponentially dependent on absolute temperature.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:58 pm
KlingKlang wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:51 pm
I now live in the less frigid Washington DC area (although very, very cold now), but many years ago, when I lived in the colder foothills of the Catskills (NY State) and had a 60's VW Beetle - sometimes in the winter cold, my car would often barely turn over with the starter to start.
My father had one of the original VW Beetles in the 60's with the 6 volt battery under the back seat. We lived in NE Ohio with a detached garage, he used to leave a 'trouble light' burning under the back hood on cold winter nights. I frequently had to push start him.
Mine was a 12 volt '67 - battery also under back seat.
We had a 1958 VW, and when I started driving I put a pull rope device on it. Just had to wind the rope around the spindle and crank it like a lawn mower. I also learned the art of clutch less shifting. I used to bury the speedometer needle (80mph?) on the part of A1A that led to Sebastian Inlet. That car was well built. After we had it 13 years I sold it for my father for a third of what it cost to a guy building a beach buggy.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

neilpilot
Posts: 1743
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:34 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 am

Mine was a 12 volt '67 - battery also under back seat.
We had a 1958 VW, and when I started driving I put a pull rope device on it. Just had to wind the rope around the spindle and crank it like a lawn mower. I also learned the art of clutch less shifting. I used to bury the speedometer needle (80mph?) on the part of A1A that led to Sebastian Inlet. That car was well built. After we had it 13 years I sold it for my father for a third of what it cost to a guy building a beach buggy.

Broken Man 1999
[/quote]
When I worked in Niagara Falls I would buy cheap winter cars to keep the rust away from my daily driver. For several winters in the late 70s I drove a 66 VW, the last year they made them 6v. The 6v battery was marginal, and so I removed the back seat and left a spare 12v battery and jumper cables next to it. Whenever starting was an issue, I'd jump the 6v battery with 12v. The 6v starter would turnover that engine so fast I swear I could almost drive home on the starter.

2015
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by 2015 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:05 pm

Bmac wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:50 am
2015 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 pm
Bmac wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:11 pm
Boy, I sure do appreciate the Goldilocks climate of the Pacific Northwest. Pretty much not too hot and not too cold year round.
For the longest time, when scouting retirement relocation destinations I strongly considered Portland. Many people, including Californians, cannot abide by the many cloudy/rainy days of the PNW but I have no issue with it as I love the natural beauty. When I took Amtrak up the Pacific Coast to Portland last May, I seemed to have taken the hot weather with me as it was actually hotter in Portland than in Los Angeles, up in the 90's for a couple days! I couldn't believe I traveled all the way from LA only to have to wear tank tops in Portland (I didn't care if most of the locals weren't wearing them, it was hot as Hades to me). Pulling into PDX, I immediately knew that Portland, as lovely as it is, was too large of a city for me. Los Angeles has completely totally irreparably burned me out on living in any city with a population larger than 100K.
You should check out Vancouver, WA or suburbs thereof. Population under 200k, no state income tax and easy access to Portland (no sales tax). Longview, WA much smaller but also farther from PDX.
Yes, that was part of my scouting as well. I decided that even though I love the natural beauty of the PNW (in stark contrast to Los Angeles), it would be too drastic of a change going from a desert climate (LA is desert) to a wet one. I also considered other factors, including social support, COL, health networks, etc. I will probably relocate to somewhere in the Southwest deserts, as I have found the desert has its own natural beauty. I've realized my looking to the PNW was a natural reaction to the extreme ugliness I find in Southern California. I just returned from a gorgeous small town in Nevada, a beautiful state if ever there was one (garish Las Vegas notwithstanding). I felt home there, something I haven't felt in SoCal in about 20 years. I'm eagerly looking forward to my move and subsequent emancipation in a little over a year.

AlwaysaQ
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by AlwaysaQ » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:23 pm

If you're in south Florida watch for falling iguanas.

hale2
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by hale2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:59 pm

I think I need to bookmark this page and read it again just before I pay my excessively high CA taxes. Might take a little of the sting out of it.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7430
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Snow tracked into the house was cleaned up with a broom rather than a mop.

Normally it melts when it hits the warm floor, but not if it's cold enough.

Miriam2
Posts: 2209
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:59 pm

South Florida is so cold and windy, I'm wrapped in my LL Bean fleece pants and jackets and blankets. My parrot is huddled in his fleece Happy Hut, glaring at me (as if it's my fault it's so cold).
AlwaysaQ wrote: If you're in south Florida watch for falling iguanas.
Yes. This is the REALLY GOOD thing about this cold weather - it's freezing those dang destructive iguanas right out of the trees, plop plop :wink: and with all due respect to Mother Nature, we hope they're gonners :D :beer

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Igu ... 52923.html

https://nypost.com/2018/01/04/its-so-co ... rom-trees/

ResearchMed
Posts: 6888
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:03 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:59 pm
South Florida is so cold and windy, I'm wrapped in my LL Bean fleece pants and jackets and blankets. My parrot is huddled in his fleece Happy Hut, glaring at me (as if it's my fault it's so cold).
AlwaysaQ wrote: If you're in south Florida watch for falling iguanas.
Yes. This is the REALLY GOOD thing about this cold weather - it's freezing those dang destructive iguanas right out of the trees, plop plop :wink: and with all due respect to Mother Nature, we hope they're gonners :D :beer

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Igu ... 52923.html

https://nypost.com/2018/01/04/its-so-co ... rom-trees/
According to TV news (and it's gotta be right!), some of them go into some sort of deep "stiff" condition, such that most body functions shut down but they still breath...?
So some of them may not be total goners yet.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Reubin
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Reubin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm

sawhorse wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am
Reubin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm
Watch out for freezing pipes in your home which can eventually burst. Keep cold water at least at a trickle at your faucet to help prevent this. Even pipes near exterior walls can freeze quickly in these bitter conditions. A few years ago, while I was vacationing, the water pipes into the house at the water meter froze up and we didn't have any water for 3 weeks. No toilets, no showers, no tap water. This was a catastrophe. To me, leaving the water at a trickle is worth whatever it costs not to have to deal with these major issues again.
Do you have to leave every faucet at a trickle, or just one for the whole home?
I would say that one faucet would do the trick and just the cold water. This should keep the water pipe into the house from freezing up.
I've also added a wire coil which plugs into an electric outlet to the pipe which leads into the house. Wrapped it with insulation too.

ResearchMed
Posts: 6888
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Reubin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm
sawhorse wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am
Reubin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm
Watch out for freezing pipes in your home which can eventually burst. Keep cold water at least at a trickle at your faucet to help prevent this. Even pipes near exterior walls can freeze quickly in these bitter conditions. A few years ago, while I was vacationing, the water pipes into the house at the water meter froze up and we didn't have any water for 3 weeks. No toilets, no showers, no tap water. This was a catastrophe. To me, leaving the water at a trickle is worth whatever it costs not to have to deal with these major issues again.
Do you have to leave every faucet at a trickle, or just one for the whole home?
I would say that one faucet would do the trick and just the cold water. This should keep the water pipe into the house from freezing up.
I've also added a wire coil which plugs into an electric outlet to the pipe which leads into the house. Wrapped it with insulation too.
I think it depends upon which pipes are most at risk.

In our first floor lav, the pipes to the sink are right at the exterior wall, and the hot and cold pipes are separate. If the water hasn't been running, then the "hot" pipe, and the water in it, will be the same as the cold.
And days can go by when this isn't used.

As for the main water pipe into the house, we've got steam heat, so the boiler will be filling a bit, over and over when it is this cold.
So water in that pipe will be moving along much more than a slow trickle could do.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

ArmchairArchitect
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:51 pm

The extremely low humidity is causing some damage to our home. Our Nest has been reading at about 17-20% humidity.

Baseboards/moulding pulling apart from the wall, new creaks on the floor, new cracks in walls, new gaps between planks in hardwood floors. I never realized the effect of low humidity on a home. So I decided to Google it, and low and behold, yes low humidity in a home can cause wood to contract and result in home imperfections. Somehow this isn't something that people often talk about.

We're currently looking into installing a whole-home humidifier to prevent any further damage.

Twood
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:15 am

Re: Effects of extreme cold weather

Post by Twood » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:05 am

Low winter humidity can indeed be a problem. DIY solutions or stop gap measures can include the following. Take baths/showers with the fan off and the bathroom door open. Do not use hair driers, instead hang up wet towels (long hair leads to wetter towels, and also acts as another source of direct moisture as long as you aren't running out of the house immediately). Hang dry laundry. Make coffee or tea water with a kettle on the stove, let it steam for a while. Cook other steamy foods on the stove such as soup and pasta. Take plastic bin lids or cookie sheets, put them on a table or counter, put a layer of water on the bottom (change/scrub regularly to avoid germ growth). Paper towels added to that can increase your surface area. Keep the house warmer rather than keeping heating costs low, warm air can support more moisture. Buy a humidifier (such as used for sick kids). Keep outside doors closed as much as possible. Also your hands will likely object to the dryness, wear plastic gloves for dish washing, and slather good lotion (like Vanacream) on your hands at bedtime- cover with cotton gloves from the pharmacy counter. Hope you don't have a baby needing diaper changes.

Post Reply