Oil filled space heaters

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
StevieG72

Oil filled space heaters

Post by StevieG72 »

Looking to buy a space heater to keep temp in living room more comfortable.

I am leaning towards an oil filled radiator type heater. I understand they take longer to reach temp / warm up a room.

My home has a heat pump that struggles when temps get in the teens, even with stage 2 electric heat.

Anyone have recommendations? Delonghi seems to be a top performer.

I would like a heater that I could leave on safely while sleeping or away for short periods of time.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
timemoveson

Re: Oil filled space heaters

Post by timemoveson »

We have several of these. In general, I think they are the safest and most economical supplemental units you can get. Same reason as yours - just too cold in some cases or for rooms that never heat correctly.

Set and forget. Get the type with the built in timer, which is a nice plus for auto turnoff at night. Otherwise, I just consider them silent, cheap(ish) to run, and safe.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

We have several, bought from HD, Lowes, Bed Bath & Beyond - whoever has one. It takes a few days to find a suitable setting and then I mark the spot with a sharpie. We pull them out every year and just leave them on 24/7 during the cold season. (We're on propane so I'd rather not heat with gas, but we have PV solar so electricity is relatively cheap for us.)
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

TBillT

Post by TBillT »

We have had a Delongi for many years.
The first one developed an oil leak, after many years use.
So we are on the second one, right now we do not use too often.
Sometimes I try to place it near the air duct as the air flowing over it carries the heat to the room.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

What about infrared? Aren’t those perhaps safer, at least not so easy to tip over? Otherwise yeah I’d go oil filled. Definitely get a safe model no matter.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

Have 3 Delonghis from Costco. They work well to supplement heat pump when it's cold. They create a warm area but do not heat large spaces. If you have a large window area or sliders to outside, they mitigate heat loss and cold air infiltration if placed by them. Had infrared supplemental heaters years ago and like the Delonghis better. They seem more stable, safer, and you can warm your hands on or above them.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I used an oil filled space heater about a decade ago to keep the fish room warm enough when the HVAC went belly-up mid-winter. The room needed to be kept in the low-to-mid 60F for best functionality of the fish tank heaters, which typically can only raise the tank 10-15F above room temperature. Much like your concern, I got that type due to its reputation for safety, since I would need to leave it on for the fish while I was at work. I can't recall the brand and I've since given it away to my parents when their heater broke, but it worked well for that purpose.

You might also want to invest in thermal imaging of the cold rooms to see if you can increase insulation, seal gaps, or otherwise improve the thermal profiles of the room to keep the heat in (and the cold out). Probably won't be enough to help the struggling heat pump, but still could be worth investigating. For example, I'm colder at my desk than at the couch since my desk is by a drafty window, but it's not cold enough in this part of California to bother replacing the windows.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

finite_difference wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:24 pm What about infrared? Aren’t those perhaps safer, at least not so easy to tip over? Otherwise yeah I’d go oil filled. Definitely get a safe model no matter.
The modern oil filled ones turn themselves off when they are tipped over.
leeks

Post by leeks »

We purchased a few of these in 2009 and have been very happy with them and they still work well. We like that they do not seem to dry out the air as much as other kinds of heaters and that they are silent. If they caused an increase in our electric bills, it wasn't enough for us to notice. The simple timing device was just what we needed. We don't need them in our current apartment, but we have neighbors who are borrowing them so they are still in regular use nine years later. I'm sure there are updated models, but these are what we bought then (via Amazon):
DeLonghi TRN0812T Portable Oil-Filled Radiator with Programmable Timer
DeLonghi TRD0715T Safeheat 1500W Portable Oil-Filled Radiator with Vertical Thermal Tunnels
Topic Author
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

So I pulled the trigger on a Pelonis from Ace Hardware. Not my first choice but I wanted something today. I am pleased with it but will likely upgrade to a Delonghi.

Bought it during my lunch break, took it home and got it up and running, went back to work.
House was comfortable when I got home, heat pump has been running stage 1 only.

I am a little uncomfortable leaving it running while I am not at home. For safety reasons I installed an AFCI outlet, these things are great. One AFCI outlet will monitor every outlet on the same circuit and cut power if unusual arcing is detected. ( as long as outlet is installed first in sequence from the breaker)

Also picked up some weather stripping and the front door is draft free, finally.

I think I got things under control just in time, winter storm is headed my way tomorrow.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

The Delonghis have worked fine for us for years, but I would never leave any portable or space heater on when away from home.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

I had several brands. All worked fine. All were sourced from Goodwill or other used store.
Placed several in Oregon coastal home to keep out winter's damp.
Had one in mom's bedroom rather than heat the whole house with the oil furnace.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
mouses

Post by mouses »

I have a small Pelonis not oil filled. It's worth pretty much nothing. I ordered a Vornado also not oil filled which arrived a few days ago, DOA.

I use Holmes/Patton space heaters, but with this winter I need one or two more and they no longer make the kind I like.
strafe

Post by strafe »

StevieG72 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm Looking to buy a space heater to keep temp in living room more comfortable.

I am leaning towards an oil filled radiator type heater. I understand they take longer to reach temp / warm up a room.

My home has a heat pump that struggles when temps get in the teens, even with stage 2 electric heat.

I would like a heater that I could leave on safely while sleeping or away for short periods of time.
What do you mean by “struggles?” Is it not able to maintain the indoor temperature set point? Or does it merely run a lot?
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

strafe wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:27 am
StevieG72 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm Looking to buy a space heater to keep temp in living room more comfortable.

What do you mean by “struggles?” Is it not able to maintain the indoor temperature set point? Or does it merely run a lot?
Heat pumps lose efficiency when the temperature drops into the 40's and below. Emergency heat strips use up a lot of electricity for not very much heat production. I have used multiple oil filled radiators (several brands) for many years without problem in select locations when it gets really cold.

My definition of cold has changed over the years. Years ago, when it got to 40 in January, I'd wear a T-shirt outdoors. Now when it drops to 60, I'm in sweats and more. :happy

A few personal observations and words of advice:

1) These heaters usually have 600, 900 and 1500 watt settings (or something similar). For bedrooms the 600 watt setting is adequate. for a larger room, like the family room, 900 is adequate. I do not want to push the limits of in wall electrical wiring so I never use the 1500 watt setting and I don't plug it into the same circuit as the TV, hair dryer or other appliance.
FYI - 600 watts generates 2000 BTU; 900 watts generates 3000 BTU and 1500 watts generates 5000 BTU.

2) Even though these are safer than most other heaters, you still have to keep them at least 2.5 feet from other objects. Keep the heater nearer to an inside wall rather than an outside wall. Best used in non-drafty locations. If used in a bedroom, close the doors to the closet and rest of the house. The temperature difference between the bedroom and the rest of the house can easily be double digits.

3) After you determine your personal best temperature setting, mark it with a magic marker for ease of use.

4) These heaters last for years and really decrease the amount spent on your electric bill without much sacrifice in thermal comfort. I've currently got one heating on the 600 watt setting - radiator surface temperature 160 degrees F and can be briefly touched without risk of burning. I've had no problem having these units around pets or kids - but you never drop your vigilance. They're ALWAYS off when away from the house. First and foremost a responsible adult has to be present when these heaters are in use.

Sometimes Tractor Supply sometimes has great deals on oil filled heaters. I paid $40 total for two a few years ago.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
just frank

Post by just frank »

One of the biggest safety factors with space heaters is the use of extension cords and worn wall outlets (that make poor contact).

If you need a low power setting (like 400W), then no worries, but if you use higher powers consistently, either avoid an extension cord completely or use a good condition heavy duty one. Check that the wall socket does not overheat, and if it does get warm at all, replace it with a new one (its a simple DIY task).
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

We just pulled out our oil filled radiator space heater due to the extreme cold in the northeast and in our large living room (20 ft by 20 ft with 8.5 ft ceilings) it really didn’t produce any noticeable improvement in heat in 36 hours at the 900 watt setting. If I’m not mistaken, that consumed 32 kilowatt hours at about $0.13 per kilowatt hour or $4.16. Figuring a daily cost of $3.12 and a monthly cost of $93.60, I think that it’s going to be put away.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

i like them because they are silent. while all others heaters i tried are noisy.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

When heating season is over, Amazon Warehouse Deals often has lots of them for an amazing price.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

just frank wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:55 am One of the biggest safety factors with space heaters is the use of extension cords and worn wall outlets (that make poor contact).
If you need a low power setting (like 400W), then no worries, but if you use higher powers consistently, either avoid an extension cord completely or use a good condition heavy duty one. Check that the wall socket does not overheat, and if it does get warm at all, replace it with a new one (its a simple DIY task).
Yes - with any kind of electric space heater, have it directly plugged in to a separate and adequate outlet (perhaps a heavy duty extension cord MIGHT be OK) AND do not (if still an option) have on the very high KW setting. Only use a space heater that turns off if tipped over.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

My Delonghi oil-filled space heater has performed flawlessly for me. I don't use it often, but when I need it (for example, when my furnace fails and it's 0 outside) it does the job.
just frank

Post by just frank »

veggivet wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:13 pm My Delonghi oil-filled space heater has performed flawlessly for me. I don't use it often, but when I need it (for example, when my furnace fails and it's 0 outside) it does the job.
During times like that, the wife's hairdryer can also come in handy. 8-)
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

I have one and like it. Although it takes a while to get to temp, it holds that warmth for a long time, so it works out. For best results get a model with a thermostat or pair it with a thermostat-controlled outlet.
Topic Author
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

strafe wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:27 am

Both!
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I wonder how much difference there is in the brand you buy. I have a Pelonis oil heater and it works great in a small room. Use it all night in a bedroom and it gives quiet, even heat. But put it in a larger room and its mostly ineffective. I wonder if I bought a more expensive brand would if function better in the larger room?

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
just frank

Post by just frank »

fsrph wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 am I wonder how much difference there is in the brand you buy. I have a Pelonis oil heater and it works great in a small room. Use it all night in a bedroom and it gives quiet, even heat. But put it in a larger room and its mostly ineffective. I wonder if I bought a more expensive brand would if function better in the larger room?

Francis
They will all work **identically** when compared at the same power output. Infrared heaters can 'feel' warmer when pointed at you (using the same power), but all silent convection heaters will work the same at the same power output.

If you want to heat the bigger room, you could use two (on different circuits), have your HVAC diagnose the problem and fix it (I.e. upsize a duct or remove a blocked damper) or install a higher power, hardwired baseboard heater.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

We got a Mica panel heater. Same power output as the oil filled type, heats up faster, and some of the oil filled ones have a terrible smell from outgassing of the plastic. (Some do, some don't, it seems to depend on manufacturing variations of time). And the Mica panel is an infrared heater, BUT the temperature is far lower than the resistive wire type IR heaters, below combustion temperatures for most things....I think. And, like the oil filled variety, almost totally silent. There is a very slight hum that I notice less every year :).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M ... UTF8&psc=1
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

fsrph wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 am I wonder how much difference there is in the brand you buy. I have a Pelonis oil heater and it works great in a small room. Use it all night in a bedroom and it gives quiet, even heat. But put it in a larger room and its mostly ineffective. I wonder if I bought a more expensive brand would if function better in the larger room?
Likely, more important than brand is design. I have a simple oil filled heater. The heater can get hot but the heat transfer rate to the room is lower than I would like. There are some oil filled heater models that are designed to have a higher heat transfer rate than a simple design. Heaters with a more complicated design tend to be more expensive.

Some types of heaters address the issue by including a fan. For some, the fact that oil filled heaters don't use a fan is a desirable feature.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

FactualFran wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:42 pm
Likely, more important than brand is design. I have a simple oil filled heater. The heater can get hot but the heat transfer rate to the room is lower than I would like. There are some oil filled heater models that are designed to have a higher heat transfer rate than a simple design. Heaters with a more complicated design tend to be more expensive.

Some types of heaters address the issue by including a fan. For some, the fact that oil filled heaters don't use a fan is a desirable feature.
Correct in the first part, although Delonghi is the only brand I've seen in recent years with a fully adequate design for an oil filled space heater.

The Delonghi's I've seen are all larger than the other brands, including the Pelonis I cheaped out and bought a couple years ago. The smaller heater means less surface area to transfer heat to the air, which results in a higher surface temperature. If all else is equal, in the end the heat transfer rate is the same, due to the higher temperature.

My Pelonis gets hot enough in the 900W mode I think there is slight burn potential. The 1500 W mode is no worse for burn potential, however, because in that mode, the core gets hot enough before the surface does to trip the built-in overheat safety switch (confirmed with a plug-in power meter), which then shuts off one of the elements. Thus, the heater doesn't actually sustain 1500 W.

The Delonghi a landlord provided in a previous home for an upstairs bedroom with insufficient insulation and heat was much better.

That said, because I have it, even my undersized Pelonis oil-filled is still my preferred choice for sustained supplemental heat due to lack of fan noise and more consistent heat output. It's mass and resulting stored heat means it still slowly provides heat to the room continuously throughout the on/off cycles, while the little fan-driven convection heater we also has warms the room up a couple degress, shuts off, and lets it cool down a couple degrees before kicking on again. The convection heater is just for when I want to warm a space up quickly and be done.
gretah

Post by gretah »

I've had oil-filled radiator space heaters for many years and I love them.

They work best when I use the "heat the person, not the room" principle. So I keep the heater a few feet from my chair, not at the edge or center of the room.

I turn it down or off when I go to bed or leave home. When I wake up / get home, I turn it to high to warm the space.

To help me with the transition, I put the clothes I am going to change into inside the clothes dryer and run it on high for 5 minutes. Toasty.

A heating pad under my feet makes a huge difference in keeping me warm.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

I don't like using my 1500W oil heater because I'm afraid it puts too much stress on my 15 amp circuit. My entire basement is on one 15 amp circuit so it's in the same area as my TV, Playstation, and AV receiver.

Maybe someday I'll get a 2nd circuit put in, but for now I just bought an ecobee3 that tracks where I am in the house and makes sure the heat in that room is at my desired temperature.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

just frank wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:13 am
veggivet wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:13 pm My Delonghi oil-filled space heater has performed flawlessly for me. I don't use it often, but when I need it (for example, when my furnace fails and it's 0 outside) it does the job.
During times like that, the wife's hairdryer can also come in handy. 8-)

It was hard enough getting a furnace guy out for diagnosis and repair...I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to find a wife! :wink:
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

I think the ceramic heaters are also worth a look. They are lighter, heat very effectively, have a cool case, and cannot leak oil.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I picked up a refurbished Delonghi on Amazon 6-7 years ago, figuring I would almost never use it. For the most part, I don't.
This year we had straight 15 days where it didn't reach freezing. The Delonghi was on 12 hours a day and performed flawlessly. Raised the
temp a good 10-12 degrees in the morning. Our regular heat was having difficulty keeping up (NYC apartment) in the morning; though by around 10-11 the Delonghi rarely turned infrequently. It does make a slight click when it starts heating (not objectionable at all).

As a side note, bought a hygrometer and noticed my humidity was below 10%. Quickly got a humidifier and raised it to 35-40%; which was
a lot more comfortable.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Lots of great responsses, just a couple quick thoughts : For many years I used oil filled space heaters in my home office , 2 going on very cold days and just one otherwise ; from the original post I understand that a space heater would be supplemental to an existing heat source in a living room - if the living room is a large space in an "open concept" overall design , then you may need more than one heater , trial and error .

Our daughter has a Vornado space heater in our grandchildren's bedroom and I decided to try it for the office - I get the chill out of the room with a small section of electric baseboard and then the Vornado takes over alone , 3 heat settings and a thermostat , very pleased with it but it's an enclosed space which could be much different than the OP's situation .
deikel

Post by deikel »

I will second trying Tractor Supply, got me three heaters there 7 years back, they still work and are occasionally used. I have no safety concerns at all and they have not failed me yet, did cost about 25 a piece if I recall correct - bargain IMO. Now, using electric heat is not the cheapest way of heating, but oil radiators are certainly the most flexible (as long as you have power) and they put out quite some heat - my heat up time is about 10 min I would say for a smaller bedroom and bathroom...just as a data point.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

eddot98 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:22 pm We just pulled out our oil filled radiator space heater due to the extreme cold in the northeast and in our large living room (20 ft by 20 ft with 8.5 ft ceilings) it really didn’t produce any noticeable improvement in heat in 36 hours at the 900 watt setting. If I’m not mistaken, that consumed 32 kilowatt hours at about $0.13 per kilowatt hour or $4.16. Figuring a daily cost of $3.12 and a monthly cost of $93.60, I think that it’s going to be put away.
900 watts is woefully insufficient for 400 sq feet. In the Northeast, you would need at least 12,000 BTU to comfortably heat such a space on a cold day, or two 1500 watt heaters.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
mouses

Post by mouses »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:48 am
eddot98 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:22 pm We just pulled out our oil filled radiator space heater due to the extreme cold in the northeast and in our large living room (20 ft by 20 ft with 8.5 ft ceilings) it really didn’t produce any noticeable improvement in heat in 36 hours at the 900 watt setting. If I’m not mistaken, that consumed 32 kilowatt hours at about $0.13 per kilowatt hour or $4.16. Figuring a daily cost of $3.12 and a monthly cost of $93.60, I think that it’s going to be put away.
900 watts is woefully insufficient for 400 sq feet. In the Northeast, you would need at least 12,000 BTU to comfortably heat such a space on a cold day, or two 1500 watt heaters.
In the NorthEast I have a 750 sq ft first floor. I have a 1500 watt heater in the living/dining room and a 1500 watt heater in the kitchen and a puny Pelonis in the one bedroom on that floor. This is in addition to the baseboard heating.

I can only imagine what my electric bill is going to be this month.