South Florida visit in early March

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
50ismygoal

South Florida visit in early March

Post by 50ismygoal » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:47 pm

I'll be spending a week in South Florida in early March. I'll be staying in Hollywood and making one day trip to Naples/Bonita Springs. It's just me, no kids, and I'm just looking for suggestions on things to see and do during my stay. I plan to find a place to stay on VRBO. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mel Lindauer

Re: South Florida visit in early March

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 pm

50ismygoal wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:47 pm
I'll be spending a week in South Florida in early March. I'll be staying in Hollywood and making one day trip to Naples/Bonita Springs. It's just me, no kids, and I'm just looking for suggestions on things to see and do during my stay. I plan to find a place to stay on VRBO. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You might check to see if the South Florida Bogleheads Local Chapter is meeting during the time of your visit. If so, you'd have the opportunity to meet my good friend and co-author, Taylor Larimore, as well as a number of the other Boglehead members.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:50 pm

50ismygoal wrote:
Are you there on vacation or for work?

Hollywood used to be kind of a dump but I think it now has some nice places including upscale mall and business center.

It’s been about 25 years, but things to do:

- South Beach - interesting in that is very multicultural and unique. Lots of places to eat and drink.
- joes stone crabs - many people like to go there.
- key biscayne - fairly low key beach. If there around dusk may be able to see aquatic life with mask.
- Florida Keys
- ilsamorada (sp?). Couple of hours away. Sitting next to water and drinking or maybe watersports.
- key west - maybe 4 hrs from Miami. Unique but tacky and touristy. Kind of a haul.
- coconut grove - was kind of a trendy retail and social place

Never spend any time at Naples but Sanibel island may be worth looking into. Lots of shells.

If you want to see lots of alligators there is a place called shark valley I think that is west of Miami where you can walk or bike and see lots of gators on the path.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:17 am

I always use TripAdvisor for travel great for things to do, restaurants and logging.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions ... orida.html

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:33 am

If you like to snorkel check out the Blue Heron Bridge. It is rated one of the best shore (SCUBA) dives in the US, and much of the wildlife can be seen with a mask from the surface. It is a bit of a drive from Hollywood, but not terrible.

If you play poker at all, there are plenty of card rooms in the area. You can play in WSOP circuit events if that tickles your fancy.

You may want to drive out to Key Largo for snorkeling and/or paddle boarding/kayaking.

The boardwalk in Hollywood, is great for eating, people watching, and just hearing the sound of the ocean.

The wife and I will be doing our first Triathlon of the year, in Pembroke Pines, just to the west of Hollywood at the end of March.

Of course there is plenty of golf. What kind of things are you into?

50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks, all!

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:46 am

Regarding the Bonita Springs area, Barefoot Beach County Preserve is a closer alternative to Sanibel if you want to look for shells or just walk the beach. The beach in the Bonita Springs area is really nice and one can walk for miles. Free parking can be a challenge but there are plenty of spots at Barefoot Beach for a reasonable fee.

MarilynDennison

Post by MarilynDennison » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:48 am

PM me as I live one mile from Hollywood Beach and am on the beach daily. Let me know what you like to do and I will try to help.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:06 am

For myself, I think Everglades Nation Park would be worth the 2 hour drive each way to the main area. But if not that, there are some things, such as around the Shark Valley Visitor Center, along/near the US 41 route, which you could take as an alternate route to or from Naples.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Palm Beach County resident here. South Florida in March is a great place to be. Beautiful weather, great beaches, warm blue water; what's not to like! The golf courses are great as well. The Hollywood area is a bit congested for my liking; but it's still not bad. South Beach is interesting place to people watch, and hang out a bit. Collins Avenue with its art deco hotels is like a step back in time. If you like to eat seafood; and have never tried stone crab claws, you must not miss Joe's in South Beach! A great restaurant done in the traditional New York style. They go through 000's of lbs of stone crab claws a day there! And they are delicious.

Enjoy your holiday.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:22 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 pm
50ismygoal wrote:
You might check to see if the South Florida Bogleheads Local Chapter is meeting during the time of your visit. If so, you'd have the opportunity to meet my good friend and co-author, Taylor Larimore, as well as a number of the other Boglehead members.
50ismygoal:

We try to have two meetings a year.

Our next Boglehead Chapter meeting is in Hollywood on Sunday, January 21st. Come early and join us for lunch, fun, like-minded companionship, and investment education the Boglehead way.

Happy New Year!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:31 pm

JBTX wrote: Hollywood used to be kind of a dump but I think it now has some nice places . . .
Depends on one's definition of "a dump" :D

http://www.diplomatresort.com/d/diploma ... p/Pool.jpg
http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimage ... ze=*:423px
http://www.diplomatresort.com/d/diploma ... crop/6.jpg

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:33 pm

If you like to bike, then rent bikes in the everglades at alligator alley on your way to Naples - neat to see all the alligators just lying about.

50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:03 am

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone. Taylor, so sorry I won't be down there in January for the meeting.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:33 am

On your day trip to the West Coast, I would recommend the Edison/Henry Ford Winter Home in Fort Myers. It is a really pretty area(palm tree lined street) and the museum is very interesting. It is maybe an hour from Bonita Springs.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

MarilynDennison

Post by MarilynDennison » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:19 am

Also, https://www.margaritavillehollywoodbeachresort.com/

The Boardwalk is second to none. No cars, a designated bike lane, and paver road for pedestrians. I walk there 4 miles every morning.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 am

Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

westrichj312

Post by westrichj312 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 am

Gulfstream Park racetrack. During that month the best horses in the country will be there prepping for the Kentucky Derby.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:14 am

+1 on visiting Key Biscayne. Crandon Park is a beautiful beach. Now much has changed there since I lived on the island, but the beach has remained the same.

Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:30 pm

I live in Hollywood near the Beach and there are quite a few things to do depending on your interests.
Hollywood Boardwalk
Le Tub, One of the best hamburgers in the US
The water taxi to Ft Lauderdale
Margeritaville, Jimmy Buffet type hotel.
John U. Lloyd State Park or Dr. Von D. Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park

Enjoy your trip

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:54 pm

MarilynDennison wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:19 am
Also, https://www.margaritavillehollywoodbeachresort.com/

The Boardwalk is second to none. No cars, a designated bike lane, and paver road for pedestrians. I walk there 4 miles every morning.
That's absolutely true and it is certainly NO DUMP. As far as what to see and do with a week in South Florida it really depends on what your likes are. I think I would Google South Florida attractions and see what strikes your fancy. We have beaches, we have eateries, clubs, people watching, South Beach, Everglades, Alligator wrestling, scam artists, para sailing and all beach sports, pick pockets, druggies and bad guys, hookers, Key West, Sanibel... there is tons to see and do here and Hollywood Beach is a great spot. For anyone who thinks Hollywood Beach is a dump I'd like to see what they call high end.