Phone Encryption

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
drzzzzz

Phone Encryption

Post by drzzzzz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:34 pm

I have a Samsung Note 4 phone (android) and am looking at encrypting the device since the option is available with the newer software that has since been installed. How much does encryption slow down the use of a device when starting it up or opening up the home page after signing in? Is this something that I should do or just rely upon an alphaneumeric password for the screen lock? Also once the phone is encrypted can you unencrypt if you run into problems (from what I read this is not possible except for a factory reset and losing all data)? Will encryption make transferring data on this phone to a new phone more problematic? Thanks for any advice

student

Re: Phone Encryption

Post by student » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:16 pm

drzzzzz wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:34 pm
I have a Samsung Note 4 phone (android) and am looking at encrypting the device since the option is available with the newer software that has since been installed. How much does encryption slow down the use of a device when starting it up or opening up the home page after signing in? Is this something that I should do or just rely upon an alphaneumeric password for the screen lock? Also once the phone is encrypted can you unencrypt if you run into problems (from what I read this is not possible except for a factory reset and losing all data)? Will encryption make transferring data on this phone to a new phone more problematic? Thanks for any advice
In my experience, the slow down is negligible in non-budget devices.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Can't speak to encryption on the Note 4 specifically but some more generic comments:
drzzzzz wrote:
How much does encryption slow down the use of a device when starting it up or opening up the home page after signing in?
Should be negligible above a certain level of performance. You can always enable, see how it works and disable if you find the performance hit to be too much.
drzzzzz wrote:
Is this something that I should do or just rely upon an alphaneumeric password for the screen lock?
Your call to make depending on the security precautions you want to take.
drzzzzz wrote:
Also once the phone is encrypted can you unencrypt if you run into problems (from what I read this is not possible except for a factory reset and losing all data)?
You should always be backing up any important data. That includes data on your phone.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:50 pm

The performance on any arm64 (read new) chip is negligible since the arm64 instruction set includes the aes-ni instruction set.

Definitely encrypt.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:31 pm

I can speak to this with experience. I had a Note 4 two years ago and was required to put an Airwatch App on there for work. As part of the requirement to check work email on the phone, it had to be encrypted.

There was no noticeable slowdown following Android encryption.

With that said, I did have to do a factory reset. There were come currently loaded apps that were stopping encryption.