Spam email

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JBTX

Spam email

Post by JBTX » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Any suggestions as to getting rid of spam? I have had my email address 20 years and it is loaded with spam and frequently get ones that are clear phishing attempts. I could switch to a new email address but that would potentially be a massive undertaking and I would still have to monitor the old one for straggling legit emails. I have unsubscribed to as much spam from legit sites, and try to “report as spam” with Charter/Spectrum but that doesn’t seem like it does any good. I probably get dozens of these emails everyday.

I’m pretty sure there is no magic bullet but I wanted to hear what others have done.

PFInterest

Re: Spam email

Post by PFInterest » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:16 pm

use gmail.
have 2 accounts: personal and junk.
start fresh.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:21 pm

You might try using something like Thunderbird. They have a pretty good spam filter that you can adjust. Moving to a new email provider is also a good idea, you could start the process and use thunderbird, then after a year or so get rid of the old account. In the meantime, you might want to use a specific email address for the more critical things, such as banks or brokerages, which is a good idea in general. I second gmail as the new account.

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-on-spam-f ... rd-1173123
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:24 pm

I have had some success in responding to the "unsubscribe me" link found on many spam emails.

As well, some email programs allow you to route into a spam folder, or even block the email.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:30 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:21 pm
You might try using something like Thunderbird. They have a pretty good spam filter that you can adjust. Moving to a new email provider is also a good idea, you could start the process and use thunderbird, then after a year or so get rid of the old account. In the meantime, you might want to use a specific email address for the more critical things, such as banks or brokerages, which is a good idea in general. I second gmail as the new account.

I would not recommend Thunderbird since it's essentially deprecated and no longer being developed, at least as far as Mozilla is concerned.

I have fairly minimal spam problems with gmail, but it will cost you about $60/yr to use gmail with your own domain name, which is preferable.

It's important to differential between actual spam, as in malicious or completely unsolicited email, and just ending up on distribution lists accidentally. One of our mailservers sends out hundreds of thousands of emails every month and people report many of them as spam, but they're just messages to email lists that something those people did at some point caused them to be subscribed to. I understand the fear of clicking on links to unsubscribe, though (which are always provided)... I'm not really sure what the solution to that is. An example would be alumni newsletters. Reporting those kinds of things as spam just causes email delivery problems for other people.

Many email/webmail tools will let you block or at least filter messages by address.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:54 pm

If you are using some "older/crappy" email like Yahoo, you should make the switch to gmail. If you turn on the spam filter, gmail does an excellent job filtering out the spam. I will only use gmail (with text verification) period. I do not believe the other systems are safe enough.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Use Outlook.com, then you use the exclusive contact feature.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Spam is here to stay. Get used to it.
I am keeping my 25 yr old POP3 account. It is loaded with spam now that the addr has been sold over & over throughout the years to junk dealers. That ISP has SpamAssassin in place but I have to keep tuning it. I'd say that 85-90% of junk is blocked. It's gotten really bad now that all kinds of 'designer' TLD's are allowed. Such as .trade, .stream, .loan, etc. But these types of addr's are easy to block.

I now have 5 other imap accounts, including gmail, that I use for various purposes. The problem I have with gmail is that gmail allows variations on your address, ie: if you are JoeEmail then gmail allows Joe.Email, JoeEmail-spam, JoeEmail-Amazon, JoeEmail-Bogle, etc. While this is handy for various purposes, uninformed people have made it useless to me. Someone has tried to use this (example) JoeEmail as Joe_Email but never bother to understand that since he didn't get a confirmation, that he can't use it. So this person, living on a different continent, and traveling all over the place has used it to sign up for all kinds of notifications from Hotels, Restaurants, Car Rental Agencies, etc. And I get all that junk and he has no idea that it is even being sent. All this because Gmail does not differentiate between punctuation in an address.

Now I may not be 100% correct on my above example, but the gist of the situation is correct. Over the last 7 yrs I have had 3 people attempting to use my email acct and I've been successful only once in getting them to stop, that took over a year, when that person's relative sent a message with a return address and I asked them to notify the offending person that they were trying to use my addr.

So gmail, as good as it is, has this annoying flaw. I've had better luck w/ iCloud and believe it or not, yahoo.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Server level spam filtering or even filtering before the email server seems to work best in my experience but it may not be a viable option depending on who hosts your email. My latter suggestion typically requires that you have control over your MX records for the DNS settings for your email account's domain. Years ago I was using MX Logic for spam filtering but it looks like it's near or past end of life. These days I'm using Exchange Online for email and it includes spam filtering which is good though not quite as easy to use as MX Logic was.

Switching email addresses really isn't as difficult as many make it out to be IMO. It's inconvenient but if you existing email account can't handle spam it's definitely worth making the switch to a service that has good spam filtering. However, even good spam filters will need tweaking as some spam slips through and there can be false positives.
Last edited by takeshi on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:43 pm

I am with RoadRunner of Spectrum Email for about 30 years. I notice that blocking will not work for Ebay and some others, so I simply delete them when they come up. I also get phishing Email regularly, that is from a former 'manager' at many various addresses with an internet address in it to click on. I do not dare to click on anything in a random Email. So I also entertain the thought to change my Email address.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:56 pm

I use Hotmail, and one of the options is that everything goes into the Spam folder unless it's from an address in the safe list or address book. I look over the Spam folder to see if there's anything in there that I need to "rescue". That's usually new contacts. Otherwise I just leave it there and let it age out.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:59 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:30 pm
mhalley wrote:

I would not recommend Thunderbird since it's essentially deprecated and no longer being developed, at least as far as Mozilla is concerned.

I have fairly minimal spam problems with gmail, but it will cost you about $60/yr to use gmail with your own domain name, which is preferable.

It's important to differential between actual spam, as in malicious or completely unsolicited email, and just ending up on distribution lists accidentally. One of our mailservers sends out hundreds of thousands of emails every month and people report many of them as spam, but they're just messages to email lists that something those people did at some point caused them to be subscribed to. I understand the fear of clicking on links to unsubscribe, though (which are always provided)... I'm not really sure what the solution to that is. An example would be alumni newsletters. Reporting those kinds of things as spam just causes email delivery problems for other people.

Many email/webmail tools will let you block or at least filter messages by address.
The spam I am talking about is unwanted spam, coming from sources that are clearly designed as spam. They start with and underscore or a dot, have spaces between words, and other things, all designed to dodge any sort of criteria based filter.

As to "spam" from common retailers, or subscriptions, the unsubscribe usually works, but I typically do that on the iphone figuring it is probably safer than doing that on a home PC. I really don't want to unsubscribe me on anything that looks suspicious at all which could be a phish.

Lately I've been getting some emails from "google" about unopened email, etc, but looking at the email address it has nothing that looks like a google domain. Seems like a phish. My concern is eventually somebody gets on my PC and clicks on one of these.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:24 pm

SittingOnTheFence wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:33 pm
Spam is here to stay. Get used to it.
I am keeping my 25 yr old POP3 account. It is loaded with spam now that the addr has been sold over & over throughout the years to junk dealers. That ISP has SpamAssassin in place but I have to keep tuning it. I'd say that 85-90% of junk is blocked. It's gotten really bad now that all kinds of 'designer' TLD's are allowed. Such as .trade, .stream, .loan, etc. But these types of addr's are easy to block.

I now have 5 other imap accounts, including gmail, that I use for various purposes. The problem I have with gmail is that gmail allows variations on your address, ie: if you are JoeEmail then gmail allows Joe.Email, JoeEmail-spam, JoeEmail-Amazon, JoeEmail-Bogle, etc. While this is handy for various purposes, uninformed people have made it useless to me. Someone has tried to use this (example) JoeEmail as Joe_Email but never bother to understand that since he didn't get a confirmation, that he can't use it. So this person, living on a different continent, and traveling all over the place has used it to sign up for all kinds of notifications from Hotels, Restaurants, Car Rental Agencies, etc. And I get all that junk and he has no idea that it is even being sent. All this because Gmail does not differentiate between punctuation in an address.

Now I may not be 100% correct on my above example, but the gist of the situation is correct. Over the last 7 yrs I have had 3 people attempting to use my email acct and I've been successful only once in getting them to stop, that took over a year, when that person's relative sent a message with a return address and I asked them to notify the offending person that they were trying to use my addr.

So gmail, as good as it is, has this annoying flaw. I've had better luck w/ iCloud and believe it or not, yahoo.
For a few years, I was nice and I always contacted the folks to let them know they were sending it to the wrong person. If it's clearly the case of someone using my e-mail nonstop, despite repeatedly informing them.. like an artist was doing in Toronto a few years back.. I just started to cancel all of his reservations, appointments, childcare, et cetera, since my e-mail account was the contact info for a host of things he was setting up. His website listed a different contact e-mail address, and that's what I used to let him know (and initially redirected his doctor, real estate agent, and pediatrician to).

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:28 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:59 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:30 pm
mhalley wrote:

The spam I am talking about is unwanted spam, coming from sources that are clearly designed as spam. They start with and underscore or a dot, have spaces between words, and other things, all designed to dodge any sort of criteria based filter.

As to "spam" from common retailers, or subscriptions, the unsubscribe usually works, but I typically do that on the iphone figuring it is probably safer than doing that on a home PC. I really don't want to unsubscribe me on anything that looks suspicious at all which could be a phish.

Lately I've been getting some emails from "google" about unopened email, etc, but looking at the email address it has nothing that looks like a google domain. Seems like a phish. My concern is eventually somebody gets on my PC and clicks on one of these.
You may be able to use gmail as a proxy e-mail account, or even use gmail but have it send as your original e-mail address. I migrated my parents to gmail a long time ago by setting their "reply-to" setting as their new gmail account. One of my gmail accounts permits me to "send as" a different account that I've set up within gmail.

Either way, I believe there are options to maintain your original e-mail address while using the modern features of Gmail.

I used Thunderbird on and off for over a decade, but it never stuck.