Old Costco American Express 2-Year Warranty Extension

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BHUser27

Old Costco American Express 2-Year Warranty Extension

Post by BHUser27 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:31 am

Greetings,

I thought I would share an experience that might be useful to others.
I bought a TV at Costco 3 yrs ago using my Costco Amex credit card.
So, it is out of the Costco Concierge 2yr warranty period but still within the Costco Amex extended warranty period.
Last night the TV developed a big black splotch on one edge (likely an LED backlight failure)

This morning I called the American Express warranty number (1-800-225-3750) and filed a claim quickly and easily.
All they needed was my Social Security Number, the purchase date, purchase amount, TV model number and TV serial number.
I did not have my old credit card number because I cut it up when they switched to Citi. If you have your card number then you do not need to give them your SSN.

Good to know they will still honor the 2yr warranty extension from the old Costco Amex cards

Alexa9

Re: Old Costco American Express 2-Year Warranty Extension

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:48 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:31 am
Greetings,

I thought I would share an experience that might be useful to others.
I bought a TV at Costco 3 yrs ago using my Costco Amex credit card.
So, it is out of the Costco Concierge 2yr warranty period but still within the Costco Amex extended warranty period.
Last night the TV developed a big black splotch on one edge (likely an LED backlight failure)

This morning I called the American Express warranty number (1-800-225-3750) and filed a claim quickly and easily.
All they needed was my Social Security Number, the purchase date, purchase amount, TV model number and TV serial number.
I did not have my old credit card number because I cut it up when they switched to Citi. If you have your card number then you do not need to give them your SSN.

Good to know they will still honor the 2yr warranty extension from the old Costco Amex cards
Good to know that closed cards honor the warranty. I was wondering that myself. Full refund?

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:01 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:48 pm
Good to know that closed cards honor the warranty. I was wondering that myself. Full refund?
Don't know yet. I have to have TV looked at by local authorized VIZIO repair guy.
Then they will either pay to have it fixed or pay the full replacement cost, depending on the outcome.
Will update later.

jla956

Post by jla956 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:39 pm

What did AMEX end up doing?
Don't know yet. I have to have TV looked at by local authorized VIZIO repair guy.
Then they will either pay to have it fixed or pay the full replacement cost, depending on the outcome.
Will update later.

DiveMedic

Post by DiveMedic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:12 am

I am literally going through this same thing right now, except our TV completely died. We were 2.5 years into ownership. When we contacted Costco they assured us that since we purchased it with our Costco AmEx, we were covered for an additional third year. We submitted our claim to AmEx and after a month of them "deliberating", we were just informed this morning that they have denied our claim. Here is the reply we received:

"What is the status of your claim?
Your claim has been reviewed and is being denied as detailed below. Your claim is now
considered closed.

Why was my claim denied?
Please find the reason for denial of your claim below.
Under the Description of Coverage section it states, "Where a Loss has occurred during this
Policy's extended warranty time period of up to one (1) additional year, We will provide a
benefit equal to the coverage of the original manufacturer's warranty on warranties of up to
five (5) years." Our records indicate your loss occurred outside of the Extended Warranty
coverage period expired.
Your item was purchased 11/30/2015. The manufacturer's warranty coverage period is
11/30/2015-11/30/2016. The Costco coverage date is 12/01/2016-12/01/2017. AMEX Assurance
Company's Extended Warranty coverage period is 12/01/2016-12/01/2017, and runs concurrent
with and is secondary to Costco's coverage. Because the date of report to AMEX Assurance
Company's Extended Warranty was 05/24/2018, which is outside the Extended Warranty period,
your claim is not eligible for coverage. A separate payment for $59.00 was processed for the
claimed diagnostic fee."

This is completely unacceptable. The entire reason we purchased the TV with the credit card was for the extended warranty. We will be contacting Costco again and fighting AmEx's decision.

Trism

Post by Trism » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:35 pm

DiveMedic wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:12 am
I am literally going through this same thing right now, except our TV completely died. We were 2.5 years into ownership. When we contacted Costco they assured us that since we purchased it with our Costco AmEx, we were covered for an additional third year. We submitted our claim to AmEx and after a month of them "deliberating", we were just informed this morning that they have denied our claim. Here is the reply we received:

"What is the status of your claim?
Your claim has been reviewed and is being denied as detailed below. Your claim is now
considered closed.

Why was my claim denied?
Please find the reason for denial of your claim below.
Under the Description of Coverage section it states, "Where a Loss has occurred during this
Policy's extended warranty time period of up to one (1) additional year, We will provide a
benefit equal to the coverage of the original manufacturer's warranty on warranties of up to
five (5) years." Our records indicate your loss occurred outside of the Extended Warranty
coverage period expired.
Your item was purchased 11/30/2015. The manufacturer's warranty coverage period is
11/30/2015-11/30/2016. The Costco coverage date is 12/01/2016-12/01/2017. AMEX Assurance
Company's Extended Warranty coverage period is 12/01/2016-12/01/2017, and runs concurrent
with and is secondary to Costco's coverage. Because the date of report to AMEX Assurance
Company's Extended Warranty was 05/24/2018, which is outside the Extended Warranty period,
your claim is not eligible for coverage. A separate payment for $59.00 was processed for the
claimed diagnostic fee."

This is completely unacceptable. The entire reason we purchased the TV with the credit card was for the extended warranty. We will be contacting Costco again and fighting AmEx's decision.
Was the manufacturer's warranty greater than one year?

DiveMedic

Post by DiveMedic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:08 pm

After being on the phone with Costco, AmEx, and Citi (who knows why??) all day, I was informed this afternoon for the first time that the 2 year manufacturers warranty we were told came with the TV, is in fact only one year and we are SOL. When I asked Costco why everyone from their salesman up until that final call had told me that we were covered for three years, they couldn't come up with an answer. The only thing the manager could finally say was sorry, they should not have told us that in the warehouse or over the phone, but it was still our problem.

AmEx couldn't have cared less either way. The help from them was little to non-existent. Either way, we were sold a piece of equipment under false pretenses, should have checked the fine print, and are now out $1k.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:13 pm

DiveMedic wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:08 pm
After being on the phone with Costco, AmEx, and Citi (who knows why??) all day, I was informed this afternoon for the first time that the 2 year manufacturers warranty we were told came with the TV, is in fact only one year and we are SOL. When I asked Costco why everyone from their salesman up until that final call had told me that we were covered for three years, they couldn't come up with an answer. The only thing the manager could finally say was sorry, they should not have told us that in the warehouse or over the phone, but it was still our problem.

AmEx couldn't have cared less either way. The help from them was little to non-existent. Either way, we were sold a piece of equipment under false pretenses, should have checked the fine print, and are now out $1k.
Make sure when you ask to talk with a manager to ask for the "General Manager" the Costco lingo is "GM". Thats the top person within that particular location. If the general manager does not make it right ask them to provide you with the name and number of their regional VP or SVP.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Hmmm, I bought a new TV about a year or so ago from Costco using my Costco Citi credit card. What I was supposed to get was one year Samsung warrantee, doubled by Costco, giving me two years, then two more years for using my Costco credit card, giving me four total years.

I think I will check with Costco to make sure I understood everything correctly.

I have been happy thus far, the free 9 months of HBO worked flawlessly, and when they reduced the price by $200, I received a rebate of $214 (extra $14 was tax refunded).

I hope I understood correctly.

I still remember the graphics on the costco.com site showing 2+2=4 years coverage.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:13 pm

I had a Lorex security system that stopped working. It was past the manufacturer warranty and did not have extended warranty through Costco. Called American Express and although the account closed from the switch to Visa they still honored it. I gave them details of the purchase and emailed them a scan of the receipt. They mailed a check for a full refund.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:49 am

DiveMedic wrote:

Sorry your TV died and for the misunderstanding when you purchased the TV.

With that said, Costco doesn't have "salesmen," and I am not aware of any company that would honor a "verbal warranty" anyway.

I don't see how anyone at Costco would have an incentive to mislead you, and your expectations that Amex should step in are unreasonable.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Trism wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:49 am
DiveMedic wrote:

With that said, Costco doesn't have "salesmen," and I am not aware of any company that would honor a "verbal warranty" anyway.

I don't see how anyone at Costco would have an incentive to mislead you, and your expectations that Amex should step in are unreasonable.
1.) Substitute "sales associate" for "salesman."
2.) The Costco Amex terms were to extend the combined manufacturer/Costco warranty, not run concurrent to either.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:11 pm
Trism wrote:
DiveMedic wrote:

2.) The Costco Amex terms were to extend the combined manufacturer/Costco warranty, not run concurrent to either.
About the only people selling anything at Costco work for wireless companies, or the HVAC/flooring/other vendors who pester you on the way out of the store.

I was relying on the poster's own assertion that s/he didn't read the fine print (aka terms) at the time of purchase, and s/he is now legitimately out of luck.

I don't carry an old Costco Amex account agreement around with me (not enough pockets). Current Amex warranty language states that it extends the manufacturer's warranty.

The account agreement is the source of truth. I'd change my position instantly if someone has a screenshot of the old Costco Amex account agreement showing other terms.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Trism wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Trism wrote:
DiveMedic wrote:

About the only people selling anything at Costco work for wireless companies, or the HVAC/flooring/other vendors who pester you on the way out of the store.

I was relying on the poster's own assertion that s/he didn't read the fine print (aka terms) at the time of purchase, and s/he is now legitimately out of luck.

I don't carry an old Costco Amex account agreement around with me (not enough pockets). Current Amex warranty language states that it extends the manufacturer's warranty.

The account agreement is the source of truth. I'd change my position instantly if someone has a screenshot of the old Costco Amex account agreement showing other terms.
1.) Costco calls their sales workers "sales associates," per Costco's job description, not mine.
2.) Per the advertising from Costco/Amex, the concierge warranty counted as a service contract.

Where a Loss has occurred during this Plan's
extended warranty time period of up to one (1)
additional year, We will provide a benefit equal to
the coverage of the original manufacturer's
warranty on warranties of up to five (5) years.
We will pay up to the actual amount charged to
Your Account for the product for which a Loss is
claimed, but not to exceed $10,000. If the
product also is covered by a service
contract, this Plan’s extended warranty time
period begins at the end of the service contract
and extends the original manufacturer’s warranty
for a period of time equal to that warranty, up to
one (1) additional year. If the combined
coverage of the original manufacturer’s warranty
and the purchased service contract exceed five
(5) years, the product purchased is not eligible
under this Plan and no coverage applies.

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 am

criticalmass wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:45 pm
Trism wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
Trism wrote:
DiveMedic wrote:

1.) Costco calls their sales workers "sales associates," per Costco's job description, not mine.
2.) Per the advertising from Costco/Amex, the concierge warranty counted as a service contract.

Costco can call their floor employees surgeons, but I wouldn't let the guy stocking taquitos in the freezer aisle remove one of my kidneys.

The quote above (assuming it comes from the Costo Amex account agreement) clarifies the Amex side of the equation, but it does not say anything about Costco's additional protection being considered a service contract.

That may be covered in the Costco membership agreement, but no one has offered the relevant excerpt.

I'm not arguing to be difficult. We all like to think we know what we're buying, but it's the agreement language that is legally binding.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 am

Trism wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 am
criticalmass wrote:
Trism wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
Trism wrote:

Costco can call their floor employees surgeons, but I wouldn't let the guy stocking taquitos in the freezer aisle remove one of my kidneys.

The quote above (assuming it comes from the Costo Amex account agreement) clarifies the Amex side of the equation, but it does not say anything about Costco's additional protection being considered a service contract.

That may be covered in the Costco membership agreement, but no one has offered the relevant excerpt.

I'm not arguing to be difficult. We all like to think we know what we're buying, but it's the agreement language that is legally binding.
I'm not sure why Costco would call its employees surgeons. Costco is a company of stores, which they refer to as warehouses. Its stores sell goods like televisions, and the people that do the selling are called sales associates, who are managed by managers. I am aware that Costco Amex's terms and advertising materials indicated that their warranty kicked in after the Costco concierge warranty was finished. It is interesting that someone in Amex is revising that now. There is a lot of bad blood between Costco / Amex after their breakup, but hopefully the OP's experience will be found to be an Amex error.

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 am
Trism wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 am
criticalmass wrote:
Trism wrote:
criticalmass wrote:

I'm not sure why Costco would call its employees surgeons. Costco is a company of stores, which they refer to as warehouses. Its stores sell goods like televisions, and the people that do the selling are called sales associates, who are managed by managers. I am aware that Costco Amex's terms and advertising materials indicated that their warranty kicked in after the Costco concierge warranty was finished. It is interesting that someone in Amex is revising that now. There is a lot of bad blood between Costco / Amex after their breakup, but hopefully the OP's experience will be found to be an Amex error.
Forget about Costco's employees. It doesn't matter who said what to whom. That was my point. What's printed in the agreement(s) is what matters.

The agreements either confer certain rights or they do not. I hope this poster can dig up the relevant agreement(s) and, if s/he is correct, will push back and prevail.

DiveMedic

Post by DiveMedic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:23 pm

***Update*** Just to be clear, there was no misunderstanding on my part about the warranty when we purchased the TV. The salesman/associate/surgeon/unicorn who assisted us with purchasing the TV specifically stated that by using our Costco AmEx, our TV would be covered for three years from the time of purchase. This person was not stocking taquitos or removing kidneys. He was working in the electronics section, specifically with the TV's that day. As such, it is expected that said person would know the details involved with purchasing them. That was the entire reason why we decided to purchase the TV from Costco, instead of at a different box store where it was cheaper. I admit that I did not read the fine print then and there, but I was not shown the fine print that AmEx used to justify denying our claim either.

Now on to the update. After going back and forth with Costco/AmEx and getting no-where, I finally posted a comment on Costco's Facebook page on Saturday advising people to read the fine print whenever they purchased electronics from their warehouse. I received a quick reply asking me to email their customer service department with my claim number and a description of what had taken place up until then. I emailed them a brief explanation, with exact timelines of when the purchase was made, the TV went out, phone calls were made (and what we were told), the denial from AmEx, and subsequent phone calls where we were again told that we should have been covered. On Monday morning, I received a phone call from a customer service rep/salesman/associate/surgeon/carpenter/unicorn on behalf of their corporate office, letting me know that they were going to replace our TV at no charge to us.

All in all it's been almost a 5 month nightmare ordeal, but in the end I'm glad they finally stepped up and are making things right again. We have two weeks to exchange the TV (although I don't know 100% of the exchange details yet). However if they give us a refund, you can bet that I'll be reading over Citi's fine print to make sure we're covered for an additional two years AFTER Costco's warranty expires before buying a new one. If not then I guess we'll be rolling the dice with the three year extended warranty through square trade.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:33 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 am
I am aware that Costco Amex's terms and advertising materials indicated that their warranty kicked in after the Costco concierge warranty was finished. It is interesting that someone in Amex is revising that now. There is a lot of bad blood between Costco / Amex after their breakup, but hopefully the OP's experience will be found to be an Amex error.
I thought "I was aware" of the same thing, but I went looking and I can't seem to find a single advertisement, either Costco or Amex that backs this idea. Anyone have any luck or links?
DiveMedic wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:23 pm
***Update*** Just to be clear, there was no misunderstanding on my part about the warranty when we purchased the TV.
Do you have anything in writing? That's all that really matters. Otherwise it doesn't exist.
On Monday morning, I received a phone call from a customer service rep/salesman/associate/surgeon/carpenter/unicorn on behalf of their corporate office, letting me know that they were going to replace our TV at no charge to us.
I'm glad it sounds like Costco is stepping up, as they should. They've failed me before. I just gave up and boycotted them for a while, and they're no longer my go to store (Amazon has taken it's place for many things). I'm still getting enough out of my membership, but it's constantly on the chopping block and under review, where as before, I wouldn't have thought twice about renewing. I used to be a fan, now I'm a critic.
you can bet that I'll be reading over Citi's fine print to make sure we're covered for an additional two years AFTER Costco's warranty expires before buying a new one. If not then I guess we'll be rolling the dice with the three year extended warranty through square trade.
Here's a link! Can they erase this the way we think they erased all the Amex TrueEarnings promises? I thought the internet was forever. Or was it simply never there and we were all hallucinating?
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connect ... pg=41#pg41

* There is fine print you may want to review and preserve