How can new DAF holders support Bogleheads/ Financial literacy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ram

How can new DAF holders support Bogleheads/ Financial literacy

Post by ram » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Over the last few days many Bogleheads including me have started new Donor Advised Fund accounts. Can people recommend organisations worthy of receiving support in the field of financial literacy. I believe that Fidelity charitable needs the organization to be 501 C- 3 tax exempt.
I have sent personal checks to support Bogleheads in the past. Can it accept donations from Fidelity charitable. Thanks.
Ram

ram

Re: How can new DAF holders support Bogleheads/ Financial literacy

Post by ram » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Oicuryy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 pm
https://boglecenter.net/
Thanks. First donation ordered.
Ram

Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:09 pm

ram wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:17 pm
Oicuryy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 pm
https://boglecenter.net/
Thanks. First donation ordered.
I also have a Fidelity DAF and have made donations to the Bogle Center in the past. If your employer offers matching donation funds, be sure to apply for them. I got matching funds for my donations to the Bogle Center. :D

Happy New Year.
Andy

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:12 pm

At Fidelity Charitable you just type in Bogle into the charity search box and you'll see the Bogle Center come up with a few other choices.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Wagnerjb wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:09 pm
I also have a Fidelity DAF and have made donations to the Bogle Center in the past. If your employer offers matching donation funds, be sure to apply for them.
That's an interesting point that I have been wondering about. Megacorp has a matching program, but I don't know if they will match contributions from a DAF. Technically, you make the donation to the DAF then later the DAF makes the donation to the other charity with your advice. I'll have to see if MC will still match. If so, I should get some donations out before I leave next month.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:39 pm
Wagnerjb wrote:
I also have a Fidelity DAF and have made donations to the Bogle Center in the past. If your employer offers matching donation funds, be sure to apply for them.
That's an interesting point that I have been wondering about. Megacorp has a matching program, but I don't know if they will match contributions from a DAF. Technically, you make the donation to the DAF then later the DAF makes the donation to the other charity with your advice. I'll have to see if MC will still match. If so, I should get some donations out before I leave next month.
In my case (also a MegaCorp), they will not match contributions TO the DAF. However, they will match donations FROM the DAF to a specific charitable organization.

Best wishes.
Andy

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:20 am

Wagnerjb wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:14 pm
In my case (also a MegaCorp), they will not match contributions TO the DAF. However, they will match donations FROM the DAF to a specific charitable organization.
Definitely something for me to check into next month.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Great question, and thank you for the recommendation!

Just made my first grant recommendation from my newly created - and Boglehead-inspired - DAF to the Bogle Center.
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy. We promise to be good stewards of your generosity while promoting financial literacy.

FYI: No officer or board member receives any compensation for our services; we're all volunteers.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:56 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:39 pm
Wagnerjb wrote:
I finally rooted through the Megacorp help system and determined that they will match contributions from DAFs and similar funds. I also found out that they will still match contributions from retirees (although a smaller max), so there's not even any hurry to get contributions done before retiring. Everybody wins!