Hyundai quality and reliability

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
50ismygoal

Hyundai quality and reliability

Post by 50ismygoal » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Hyundai is about to introduce a new mini-SUV called the Kona, and I'm interested in it. It's similar to the Honda HRV, which I also like. I've had lots of Honda's and lots of luck with all of them. They are bullet-proof. But I actually like the Kona better than the HRV. Can anyone here talk about their experience with late-model Hyundais?

runner3081

Re: Hyundai quality and reliability

Post by runner3081 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Not exactly late model, but my dad has a 2005 Kia (sister company) Spectra with 225K miles. No major issues at all.

We had a 2007 Hyundai Sonata that only had a seat airbag issue (fixed under warranty), no mechanical issues.

ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:02 pm

2016 Sonata Limited here. Couldn't be happier. Also, my first job out of college was with enterprise-rent-a-car and we had Hyundai coming out our ears. They are great cars and while I was at enterprise we had few problems when compared to other manufactures.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Hyundai and their symbiotic sister company KIA have made great strides in quality and reliability over the last dozen years. In the last few years the have equaled and in the case of Kia even exceed Honda and Toyota in certain model segments.

It is no guarantee, because even Honda and Toyota have quality and reliability variances between models. However, I would expect that it would be top tier if it is using existing Hyundai/Kia power train components.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:52 pm

2013 Elantra has had no major issues yet. At 75k miles the battery is getting a little touchy in cold weather and occasionally needs to be jumped.

I suspect it's too young to have hit the first round of significant repairs, but so far so good.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Switched to Hyundai Sonata from a series of Honda Accords in 2010, couldn’t be happier. Long warranties, value proposition is great, money I saved I invested, done nothing but change tires so far (and it came stock with a nice set of Michelins!)

camden

Post by camden » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:58 pm

2010 Hyundai Genesis coupe, 86,000 miles. Has been superb. Routine maintenance, and that's it. Obviously, one single experience is only that, but I could not be happier.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Over the past decade, I've heard nothing but good things from Hyundai owners.
That was not the impression I got from people I know who owned Hyundai's for models before about 2005.
I haven't owned one myself, but have had several different models as rental cars and I was impressed enough with how they handled, and the price point, that they will definitely be a top contender the next time I purchase a car.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Goinganontoday

Post by Goinganontoday » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:24 pm

I've had one Hyundai for nearly 12 years with absolutely no problem. It's still going strong. I've had a second Hyundai for the past year and it's been great.

Louie_Louie

Post by Louie_Louie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:26 pm

I own a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe and it has been reliable and no problems. Just did the normal maintenance stuff like oil changes, tire rotation, etc. I had to buy one new battery and a set of tires and had my brakes done ... all normal wear maintenance. I am very happy with my Hyundai and so is my Son, Daughter-In-Law, Sister, two very close friends ... all very happy with their Hyundai Santa Fe's too.

50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks, all!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:21 pm

We have owned a couple of Hyundai's and knock on wood we are very happy thus far.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

6miths

Post by 6miths » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:12 pm

2013 Elantra GT after many Hondas. Like the styling of the Elantra now better than the Civic but Hondas seem more solid in terms of build quality and lack of rattles. Hyundais more bang for buck in terms of features. Heating/AC seems a little weak on the Elantra but otherwise has been good. Stock Korean tires on the Elantra were poor (being charitable).
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:33 pm

I recently saw a Kona at an auto show and spent about 15 minutes looking at it and sitting in it. I liked the exterior styling at least with gray paint and the interior layout. Seemed comfortable and unlike some CUVs it seemed to have acceptable rear visibility. I liked the interior slightly better than a Subaru Crosstrek and much better than a Honda HR-V. I felt the Kona has much better visibility than a Mazda CX-3. The Kona shares a lot of components with the latest generation Elantra.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Howdy

Two Sonatas, both excellent and reliable.

The Sonata Hybrid has a lifetime warranty for original owner on the entire drivetrain - batteries, motors, transmission, regen braking.

I am thinking the car may outlive me.

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

jef

Post by jef » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 pm

We have a 2013 Genesis and a 2012 Sonata hybrid. Sonata was purchased new and the Genesis was purchased wtih 3,000 miles after being used by dealership as a loaner. No issues with either car so far and we hope they last many more years. This brand seems to depreciate in resell value faster than Honda's and Toyota's so would only recomend if you plan to keep them a long time.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 pm

2014 Santa fe. Amazing!

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:35 pm

My father has owned four Sonatas and has been happy with all of them

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:53 pm

I've heard anecdotes that in general Hyundai powertrains are still not as reliable long term as Honda/Toyota but a close third.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:15 pm

My diesel mechanic brother has a lot of nice things to say about Hyundai cars. He likes and drives them. He has sung their praises for years.
A fool and his money are good for business.

pjshen

Post by pjshen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:05 pm

Happy current owner here of a 2010 Elantra with nearly 170,000 miles, former owner of a 2003 Sonata, and soon-to-be owner of a 2017 Elantra.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:58 am

We are longtime Toyota owners, mostly Camrys. In 2008, we bought DW a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. There was nothing really wrong with it and we did not have any issues with it in the 2 years we owned it. But it was a step down in quality from what we were used to. The ride and the road noise were noticeably worse than Camrys. The interior appointment was plain. DW never liked the car so we traded in 2010 for a 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited which we still have. She loves the Avalon with all of its bells and whistles.

Things may have changed since 2008, but we do not see Hyundai in the same class as Toyota for comparable cars. One reason I bought the Sonata was it was cheaper than a comparable Camry. There was a reason for that!

harrington

Post by harrington » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:20 am

I bought a 2009 Elantra and then passed it on to my son went he went to college and he is still driving it with no issues to speak ever. I believe it has around 175,000 on it.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 am

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:58 am
We are longtime Toyota owners, mostly Camrys. In 2008, we bought DW a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. There was nothing really wrong with it and we did not have any issues with it in the 2 years we owned it. But it was a step down in quality from what we were used to. The ride and the road noise were noticeably worse than Camrys. The interior appointment was plain. DW never liked the car so we traded in 2010 for a 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited which we still have. She loves the Avalon with all of its bells and whistles.

Things may have changed since 2008, but we do not see Hyundai in the same class as Toyota for comparable cars. One reason I bought the Sonata was it was cheaper than a comparable Camry. There was a reason for that!
Comparing the Avalon to the Sonata is not really fair. You should compare the Sonata to the Camry and the Avalon to the Azera. I test drove the Camry, Accord, and Fusion before deciding on a Sonata.None of the others were close to the Sonata in terms of a what you get for the money. My feeling was the Camry had more road noise and felt cheaper, so I guess I have different taste than carolinaman.
Unfortunately I totaled it at the 5 year mark and now I'm on my second one. Never any issues with reliability.
Can't take it with you when you're gone | But I want enough to get there on - Rollin with the flow - Jerry Hayes

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:50 am

I've never owned a Hyundai, but I've received many as rentals. A Hyundai is the only rental vehicle I've ever had strand me somewhere. As with most rental vehicles, it was a late model with low miles about 5 years ago. The car spontaneously entered limp mode as I turned out of a gas station parking lot, and would only go about 5 miles per hour.

I hear that across the board, reliability in Hyundai vehicles has been good for many years now. However, I no longer choose a Hyundai from the rental lot if I get to pick my car.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:05 am

I have a Kia Optima and I absolutely love it. I never thought I’d write that sentence either.

I’ve had several Hondas (including two Accords) and am a big Honda fanboy.

I just think the rest of the auto industry has caught up with Honda in terms of reliability and build quality. I still think Honda makes a great product... I just think almost all cars out there now are great. It’s not like 10-15 years ago where there were awful cars, it’s so competitive now.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:11 am

We have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe with ~130K miles. Original owners. My wife loves the car. Overall, the car has been extremely reliable and my wife has requested that when we replace this car, that it be with another Hyundai.

femur

Post by femur » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 am

I have a 2007 sonata with 185,000 miles. It was my family's first non-Nissan vehicle in 20+ years. I have had little stuff go wrong such as:

-Air intake valve getting stuck
-Seat adustment control mechanism needed replacing
-Window/lock control on one door needed replacing
-Windsheild washer fluid pump moter needed replacing.

I think it is common for little things like this to happen on a vehicle, but I dont recall that many happening on the nissans I've owned.

I think Nissan's are higher quality but I also think that Hyundais provide a very good value.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Just like Honda and other makes, Hyundai has had many generations.

Prior to 2005 Hyundai was not a particularly high quality or reliable brand. From 2005 - 2009 they made significant strides. From 2005- 2010 they made another leap. With vehicles from 2011 - present (especially 2015+) in the top tier.

Anecdotal stories prior to 2011 are just no longer relevant to current Hyundai quality and reliability. For that matter anecdotal stories in general, especially a one-time event from a rental car are no match for statistics on quality and reliability.

I leave you with the definition of anecdotal; "(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research."

Bearloom

Post by Bearloom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Working as an auto salvage inventory auditor, I've noticed a few different phases in Hyundai's general quality level. They previously had a series of issues with reliability in their 2.5 liter engines (around a decade ago), and I have heard complaints about interior trim quality. Overall though, there's really no reason I would recommend against the modern Hyundai Motor Corporation; heck, I've considered buying a new Kia Soul when my Ford finally succumbs to its gremlins.

As for my expecations for the Kona specifically, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the first model year or two of new vehicles are usually prone to a more issues than normal as the company gets all of the kinks worked out. However, from my understanding the drivetrain is largely based on the Hyundai Tucson so there shouldn't be too many hiccups.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:56 pm

I drive a 2005 Santa Fe GLS AWD and my father owns a 2014 Santa Fe. I would recommend either vehicle without hesitation.

Mine does not have a zippy engine, otherwise I have no complaints. I've test driven newer (2016 and 2017) models such as CX-5, Rav4, Crosstrek, Tucson, and Rogue and haven't purchased any of them because I prefer my Santa Fe - it has everything I need and has had no mechanical problems. Granted any newer vehicle is going to have fancier features than my 2005. I will check out the Kona when it is available.

SkullBaseSurgeon

Post by SkullBaseSurgeon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Yet more anecdotal evidence ....

2013 Hyundai Elantra, bought new. Has made multiple trips across the US, about 52k miles. Has performed well both in lake-effect snow and in ungodly heat.

Had to get better tires after about 40k miles. Killed a battery within the first two years (not uncommon in desert SW USA). Otherwise, no reliability issues whatsoever. Great vehicle for cheap.

50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks for great feedback!

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:16 pm

We have a ‘14 Santa Fe sport and love it. We originally were looking at Infiniti and Acura but the hyundai offered great value, features, and technology.

victorb

Post by victorb » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:24 pm

We have a 2012 Santa Fe and a 2017 Santa Fe Sport and both have been great SUVs. We have had Toyotas and were going to get another RAV4 and then test drove a Santa Fe. We liked several features of the Santa Fe better than the RAV4 and have never regretted it. The best warranty in the industry and the autos are put together extremely well. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

b4real

Post by b4real » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:35 pm

2016 sonata hybrid limited. Love the car, the ride, and all the bells and whistles.

mxs

Post by mxs » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Any opinion on the Kia Sedona ( minivan )? I have heard third hand anecdotal opinions to stay away, but you know how third hand opinions are. I prefer my anecdotal opinions first hand.

abonder

Post by abonder » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:12 am

I second the request for opinions on the Sedona. It’s rated average reliability by CR (same as odyssey) and it depreciates pretty quickly, which has always made me think it could be a good option as a lightly used purchase. Happy to hear if anyone has insight.

Ditchwitch

Post by Ditchwitch » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:27 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:53 pm
I've heard anecdotes that in general Hyundai powertrains are still not as reliable long term as Honda/Toyota but a close third.
From my research Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 and Mazda CX-5 seem to lead the pack in engine and drivetrain reliability. Hyundai has a smaller price tag and comes with some extra standard features. I rather sacrifice the creature comforts and have better reliability...
“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” | ― Albert Einstein

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Are Hyundai powertrains better than Ford and Chevrolet? Thinking about buying one.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:16 pm

rec7 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Alexa9 wrote:
Are Hyundai powertrains better than Ford and Chevrolet? Thinking about buying one.
A general brand answer is not that indicative of powertrain quality and reliability

Engine/transmission combinations and [trans]axle quality and reliability can vary as much if not more within a brand as between brands. You can not even just judge a brand/model. For example, V6 engines even on the best brands tend to be statistically less reliable than 4-cylinder engines. Another one is, CVT transmissions can be less reliable than a particular brand's other transmissions.

It is best to compare specific powertrains to other specific powertrains.

50ismygoal

Post by 50ismygoal » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 pm

For those of you interested in the new Kona:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-hyu ... -at-20450/