Good VPN?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
broslami

Good VPN?

Post by broslami »

Anyone recommend a good vpn that doesn't keep logs and has good performance/ price?
AlohaJoe

Re: Good VPN?

Post by AlohaJoe »

aceoperations

Post by aceoperations »

Private internet access
spooky105

Post by spooky105 »

I've had good results with NordVPN -- use it on the road/while deployed for internet access and streaming. Also use it stateside to stream live NFL games via the official NFL Gamepass subscription (you have to be outside of the U.S. to watch games live...stateside you can just watch them after the fact...chock that up to licensing deals with the cable networks).
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I have been using Windscribe for a while. The free service will more than cover most people's needs.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I don't trust VPNs unless it's provided by your employer. There are many free and paid for VPNs, but you can't know the VPN provider's secondary collections and activities. You can't trust their stated policies. You can't inspect their systems. And even if they comply with their promises today, they may go rogue tomorrow.

If you are technically savvy, you can create your own VPN using your own equipment at home.

If you want to use a ready solution, try TOR. TOR has many issues, and is not a good idea if you risk your life or livelihood, but its advantage for most people is that the exit nodes are distributed and none of them can monitor all your traffic.

Recently, I've heard a presentation by Steve Bell, Orchid Labs, about a new protocol his organization is developing, https://orchidprotocol.com/ . According to Bell, Orchid will go live in early 2018. There is no central authority, no centralized depository. People will download Orchid software and get access to truly distributed relay and exit services.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

spooky105 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:01 am I've had good results with NordVPN -- use it on the road/while deployed for internet access and streaming. Also use it stateside to stream live NFL games via the official NFL Gamepass subscription (you have to be outside of the U.S. to watch games live...stateside you can just watch them after the fact...chock that up to licensing deals with the cable networks).
3 years of NordVPN for $99.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11030543-nordv ... BarV2Algo1

SlickDeals has discussion about the service.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Agree with Victoria. If you're doing it for privacy, then you're essentially just trading one devil for another w/ no way to truly validate anything.

If you're tech savvy, my most preferred option is to just use an AWS ec2 instance at the free tier, write the user data to spin up an instance and auto-install/config the VPN components. Use that on demand as needed, terminating it after each session. And you can spawn the free ec2 instance in whatever AWS region is preferred for your needs. This way you know the vendor isn't logging anything and you know exactly who has access to the VPN infra.

If you're looking for decent commercial options, NordVPN is usually well regarded and they have/had a sale going on for 3 years of service for $99.
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

It is relatively easy to set up a VPN server on your home router, if you have a newer router. Many of the Asus products include this feature. If you just want to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks on public networks, this might be good enough for you.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

aceoperations wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 am Private internet access
+1.
VTSAX - 50%, VBTLX - 50%
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

killjoy2012 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:59 pm Agree with Victoria. If you're doing it for privacy, then you're essentially just trading one devil for another w/ no way to truly validate anything.
In a perfect world, we'd have perfect knowledge concerning all our choices. When it comes to picking VPNs, we have to go with the information we have on hand. Part of that relates to the past record of the VPN... Especially if they have turned down law enforcement requests on the basis of not keeping certain types of logs. Law enforcement can still put things together based on low-information logs that VPNs may keep, combined with their own data, but most of us are not trying to dodge law enforcement. Just nosy, greedy marketing people and/or the Government as a whole. (Did you hear about how China is planning on "rating" all of its citizens? The rating of citizens will probably happen here in the US even faster, maybe next month, the way things are going. :twisted:)

The other half of the issue relates to the record of the ISP. Who do you trust more... a VPN with reasonably good credentials? Or Comcast and Verizon?

Most people probably consider Comcast, Verizon and AT&T as extremely untrustworthy based on the past cons they've pulled off or tried to pull off on their customers (I just read another one about Comcast today). And/or their wholesale sharing of information with the Government without being asked. We haven't reached that point with VPNs.

Given that VPNs are inexpensive, they are a reasonable add-on in the context of the recent gutting of internet privacy and net neutrality.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

Most people seem to just post what they themselves use. To that end, I've had a good 3 years with AirVPN. Won't say it's blazing fast though.

I didn't like "just" using what I've been using and "just" trying what others are using - there's actually no great way to evaluate VPN's I've found, and no way to really validate many of their claims.

The one guy who kept popping up around the web as having collected a bunch of policy data for years, was a guy who ran it as a google spreadsheet. He's since transitioned it to a full website (https://thatoneprivacysite.net/), where he does reviews.

Even after reading his reviews, I've not been willing to switch to the sites he's reviewed (for reasons he points out - they didn't seem any better than my current provider) if you're truly concerned about privacy. That is, until October, when he reviewed Mullvad (https://thatoneprivacysite.net/2017/10/ ... ad-review/). As he himself says, it's the only time he's been so impressed as to come up with an award, and the review was convincing enough to me that I plan on switching. I still have some time left with AirVPN, so I haven't yet, but I will be switching when it expires. They do have like a 4hr trial, which worked just fine when I tried it (seemed fairly snappy even).
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I have the free level of service through ProtonVPN (from the people who run ProtonMail). They seem to have a good reputation in the security community.
I don't use it much, I'm not overly concerned about the usual 'privacy' aspects many seem to think a VPN is a solution for. My main use is I'm frequently overseas and on occasion need to access website that restrict access outside the U.S.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

I have used TunnelBear for some years now and I'm happy with it. Depending where I'm routing it through, I get speeds of 3-30Mb/s, which is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned.

Standard disclaimer applies: it depends what you're using it for. I use it mainly for traveling and using wireless networks that aren't my own. It does not accept BitTorrent, which, for my uses, is perfectly okay with me. In fact, it's probably a good thing.

If I was interested in doing things that I didn't want other incredibly technically and tactically savvy people to know about, I certainly wouldn't use only one layer of defense by trusting one VPN service. It depends what your threat is.

For day-to-day privacy/security, TunnelBear is very adequate. I have been about to build a home VPN for over a year now.

Orchid does seem to be promising.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

killjoy2012 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:59 pm If you're tech savvy, my most preferred option is to just use an AWS ec2 instance at the free tier, write the user data to spin up an instance and auto-install/config the VPN components. Use that on demand as needed, terminating it after each session. And you can spawn the free ec2 instance in whatever AWS region is preferred for your needs. This way you know the vendor isn't logging anything and you know exactly who has access to the VPN infra.
How much tech savvy is required to set up a VPN via AWS? Can I buy a book that would walk me through the steps?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

I'm all for maintaining privacy for legitimate reasons, security, etc. Please don't use a VPN for untoward purposes.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

brajalle wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:41 am I didn't like "just" using what I've been using and "just" trying what others are using - there's actually no great way to evaluate VPN's I've found, and no way to really validate many of their claims.
One thing that VPNs offer right off the bat -- at least some of them do -- is the ability to pay with a gift card. If you've purchased that gift card with cash, you're way ahead of the game. ISPs have browsing histories tied to an individual. Even if a VPN becomes "evil" and starts logging browsing histories, there's not much harm they can do without your personal information. They just sell anonymous data to the highest bidder.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

samsoes wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:43 am I'm all for maintaining privacy for legitimate reasons, security, etc. Please don't use a VPN for untoward purposes.
Law enforcement may be after legitimate people like human rights activists and journalists. Which is why it's worth bringing up whether or not a VPN has a history of keeping logs and turning them over to law enforcement.

But for the average user -- which is probably most of us BHs -- the issue of logs and how they are handled is just a further clue to a VPN's trustworthiness.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

VictoriaF wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:29 am
killjoy2012 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:59 pm If you're tech savvy, my most preferred option is to just use an AWS ec2 instance at the free tier, write the user data to spin up an instance and auto-install/config the VPN components. Use that on demand as needed, terminating it after each session. And you can spawn the free ec2 instance in whatever AWS region is preferred for your needs. This way you know the vendor isn't logging anything and you know exactly who has access to the VPN infra.
How much tech savvy is required to set up a VPN via AWS? Can I buy a book that would walk me through the steps?

Victoria
The learning curve is somewhat steep, but do-able. If you're comfortable with server administration and virtualization, it should be a cake walk.
AWS actually has really good online documentation of their services. https://aws.amazon.com/documentation/ (start with EC2)

And there's various online "how to's" to specific to building your own VPN gateway hosted on AWS ec2. https://blog.ls20.com/ipsec-l2tp-vpn-au ... mazon-ec2/
aceoperations

Post by aceoperations »

Since a lot of VPN services are limited to a certain number of devices, you can run the VPN directly on the wireless router provided it supports it. For example, I was able to install Private Internet Access on Tomato router firmware, and all my devices at home are automatically protected now. One thing I ran into issues with, is using a phone with Google Fi via VPN. For some reason, it was messing with Google Fi connectivity, but I did not pursue it further because DW was planning out getting out of Fi service anyway, and she did.
kelvor

Post by kelvor »

aceoperations wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm Since a lot of VPN services are limited to a certain number of devices, you can run the VPN directly on the wireless router provided it supports it. For example, I was able to install Private Internet Access on Tomato router firmware, and all my devices at home are automatically protected now. One thing I ran into issues with, is using a phone with Google Fi via VPN. For some reason, it was messing with Google Fi connectivity, but I did not pursue it further because DW was planning out getting out of Fi service anyway, and she did.
Just be aware that running an always-on VPN on your router for your whole home network will have a significant performance impact to your Internet connection. I tried this with PIA on DD-WRT firmware and it dropped my bandwidth from 150mbps to about 60mbps max due to the overhead of encryption and compression required for a secure VPN.
aceoperations

Post by aceoperations »

kelvor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 pm
aceoperations wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm Since a lot of VPN services are limited to a certain number of devices, you can run the VPN directly on the wireless router provided it supports it. For example, I was able to install Private Internet Access on Tomato router firmware, and all my devices at home are automatically protected now. One thing I ran into issues with, is using a phone with Google Fi via VPN. For some reason, it was messing with Google Fi connectivity, but I did not pursue it further because DW was planning out getting out of Fi service anyway, and she did.
Just be aware that running an always-on VPN on your router for your whole home network will have a significant performance impact to your Internet connection. I tried this with PIA on DD-WRT firmware and it dropped my bandwidth from 150mbps to about 60mbps max due to the overhead of encryption and compression required for a secure VPN.
It is true that there is an impact. Depending on the usage, you might or might not feel it. We are not heavy users of streaming video services, and most of our limited viewing is simply on YouTube. For internet browsing, the impact is not significant enough to notice.
Beatle Boots

Post by Beatle Boots »

To educate yourself on best VPN values for your unique usage security risk, recommend you search "VPN" on slickdeals.net. Very popular topic with massive amounts of discussions Here is link:

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?sr ... chin=first

In general the "Cadillac" VPN plans offering the most privacy, the most world wide servers, and greatest speed charge the most. These plans include NORDVPN, PIA, etc.. Good deals range 3 years for $80.

You can also find some "middle of the road" plans such as Windscribe which is the VPN I use. Not the best, fastest, most secure VPN, but it is good enough for risk needs and I paid $32 for a lifetime. I have been pleasantly surpised and happy with Windscribe. Had it now for 3 years and they have grown and improved their services.

Before I found Windscribe, I bought a lifetime no name policy xyz vpn service. They essentially stole my $ and ceased to exist.

Most (not all) of the VPN deals (sales) posted on Slickdeals originated thru stacksocial.com. They frequently offer discount count coupons to reduce the regular price. Here is their link:

https://stacksocial.com/collections/dig ... ity-vpns-2

Hope this helps!
SlowlySaving

Post by SlowlySaving »

NordVPN
Private Internet Access
ExpressVPN
TorGuard
Ipredator
and others...

See Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2018:
https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-k ... mous-2018/
bankerbilo

Post by bankerbilo »

JoMoney wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:07 am I have the free level of service through ProtonVPN (from the people who run ProtonMail). They seem to have a good reputation in the security community.
I don't use it much, I'm not overly concerned about the usual 'privacy' aspects many seem to think a VPN is a solution for. My main use is I'm frequently overseas and on occasion need to access website that restrict access outside the U.S.
ProtonVPN is good. Known company incorporated in Switzerland. Keep in mind that more than 50% VPN apps are based in China where VPN is illegal. There was a news article recently about this.
SeekingFI

Post by SeekingFI »

I started using Proton VPN & email last month with good results. I especially like the alias emails you can build plus the ability to use the simple @pm.me domain extension.
Beatle Boots

Post by Beatle Boots »

Regarding the free VPN services: These services generally have a data cap. So if you plan on doing an occassional bank transaction or purchasing something online with your credit card you should be ok if you pick a reliable free VPN. However, if you plan to do more than occassional transactions where you plan to streaming large amounts of sensitive data, and you want to have anonomous, encrypted control of your communications, you may need to consider a paid VPN subscription. Feel free to google this topic to see if your type of usage and risk warrants paying for paid subscription. Again, if your risk profile warrants a paid subscription, then you need to weigh all that extra security, logs, 7 eyes stuff (?), company location, etc...
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I setup my own VPN using my existing Netgear router and OpenVPN. I don't know how secure it actually is, but it was free with no data limits.
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

I use Mullvad.

You can find a comparison and good information here:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

I use Perfect Privacy.

The site linked below has comprehensive reviews of major VPN providers, and discusses at great length the pitfalls of free (or nearly free) VPN service.

https://restoreprivacy.com
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

JoMoney wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:07 am I have the free level of service through ProtonVPN (from the people who run ProtonMail). They seem to have a good reputation in the security community.
Be aware that Proton VPN has some shortfalls:
https://restoreprivacy.com/protonvpn-review/
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

I have one anti-recommendation: beware Avast. I loved them in the early 2000s for free antivirus software and never had a problem. However, I know someone who tried what she thought was a free trial of their VPN. She was charged over $85 dollars and cannot get her money back, as she used a debit card. That's a separate issue of course but- beware Avast.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

linenfort wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:41 pm I have one anti-recommendation: beware Avast. I loved them in the early 2000s for free antivirus software and never had a problem. However, I know someone who tried what she thought was a free trial of their VPN. She was charged over $85 dollars and cannot get her money back, as she used a debit card. That's a separate issue of course but- beware Avast.
Avast isn't the only antivirus product which is suspect:

"Is Your Antivirus Software Syping on You?"
https://restoreprivacy.com/antivirus-privacy/
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Tom's guide reviewed various top VPN's and selected
Express VPN as it's top 4.5/5
with
Private internet Access
Nord VPN
IP Vanish
Cyberghost
all at 4/5

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-vpn,review-4292.html
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Is anyone familiar with a distributed Orchid VPN based on Ethereum? See https://www.orchid.com/ ,

Victoria
Winston19

Post by Winston19 »

Here is a link to information on the CTO of London Trust Media (the parent company of Private Internet Access).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Karpel%C3%A8s