What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
timmy
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:38 pm

Mine ...

When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing
by Daniel H. Pink
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07352 ... &pf_rd_i=3

Bungo
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by Bungo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Currently reading The Fatal Shore, by Robert Hughes, about the history of Australia during its convict colony era. Outstanding so far, one of the best history books I've read in quite a while. I'm only 1/4 of the way through, so I will probably still be reading it in 2018. :D

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3429
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by lthenderson » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:57 pm

I have probably 150 unread non-fiction books between the bookshelf by my bed and the bookcase downstairs in the library. I expect I will tackle a good 30 to 40 of them in 2018.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18525
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:26 pm

99% of my reading is non-fiction. The one I am really looking forward to is "Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter" by Scott Adams. I have recently finished Adams's earlier book "How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big." It was excellent. I was alerted to Adams's books by a Bogleheads thread.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
catdude
Posts: 1534
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by catdude » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:43 pm

A couple books I've got in mind... Ron Chernow's new book on General Grant; and John Feinstein's book on last year's Ryder Cup golf matches. Looking forward to both very much.
catdude | | The only thing between North Dakota and the North Pole is a barbed-wire fence.

CppCoder
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by CppCoder » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:51 pm

I read a nonfiction book every week or two. I'm currently reading Clean Architecture: A Craftsman's Guide to Software Structure and Design by Robert Martin (Uncle Bob for those in the software world). I just finished The Lean Startup by Eric Ries, The Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton Christensen, and Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes by Belsky and Gilovich (thanks to livesoft for the recommendation on the last one).

SeekingAPlan
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by SeekingAPlan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Glass House: The 1% Economy and the Shattering of an All American Town by Brian Alexander.

Tells the story of Anchor Hocking & the workers in Lancaster, PA.

Good Listener
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by Good Listener » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Almost all my reading since retirement has been fiction. My best friend bought me the new biography of Leonardo DaVinci by Isaacson. I am not an artsy guy but found this book to be unbelievably great although a much slower read than fiction that I tend to knock off at 2 books per week. I still have about 40 paperbacks of fiction left and after finishing those will get a kindle and be done with paper. And I will switch to mostly non fiction as I really learned a lot from it and like learning new things.

timmy
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:02 pm

duplicate post by me. deleted by me. :oops:
Last edited by timmy on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timmy
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:04 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:57 pm
I have probably 150 unread non-fiction books between the bookshelf by my bed and the bookcase downstairs in the library. I expect I will tackle a good 30 to 40 of them in 2018.
Good for you! That's a good reading habit. Do you do audio-books? Do you take notes? I'm aiming for about that too. I am going to use this method.

https://journal.thriveglobal.com/this- ... 15f79f9ff2

timmy
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm
Almost all my reading since retirement has been fiction. My best friend bought me the new biography of Leonardo DaVinci by Isaacson. I am not an artsy guy but found this book to be unbelievably great although a much slower read than fiction that I tend to knock off at 2 books per week. I still have about 40 paperbacks of fiction left and after finishing those will get a kindle and be done with paper. And I will switch to mostly non fiction as I really learned a lot from it and like learning new things.
I have the Audiobook. I found it slow too.

timmy
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:07 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:26 pm
99% of my reading is non-fiction. The one I am really looking forward to is "Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don't Matter" by Scott Adams. I have recently finished Adams's earlier book "How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big." It was excellent. I was alerted to Adams's books by a Bogleheads thread.

Victoria
Loved "How to Fail...". "Win Bigly..." was good too.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 7827
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm

The Bible.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

highercall
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by highercall » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:32 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm
The Bible.
1+

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by jhfenton » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm

I usually read and listen to at least 100 books per year, but at least 90% are fiction. (I say usually, because I'm mixing French novels in now, and I read them at about 1/5 the speed of English.)

The last non-fiction book I read was "Without You, There Is No Us," the story of a Korean-American journalist's undercover work as a missionary-teacher at a school in North Korea. It painted a compelling, but necessarily limited picture of life for the "privileged" in North Korea.

I don't know what my next non-fiction book will be. I have another North Korea book in the queue. I have "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind." I have "Misbehaving" by Richard Thaler. I'm partway through the excellent "Scalia Speaks," collected speeches and essays of Antonin Scalia. (As a collection of essays, I will be reading it in fits and starts when I need something to fill a discrete period of time.) I have a book on Operation Dynamo, the evacuation of Dunkirk.

It could also easily be something I discover tomorrow and decide to read immediately. :beer

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18525
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm
Almost all my reading since retirement has been fiction. My best friend bought me the new biography of Leonardo DaVinci by Isaacson. I am not an artsy guy but found this book to be unbelievably great although a much slower read than fiction that I tend to knock off at 2 books per week. I still have about 40 paperbacks of fiction left and after finishing those will get a kindle and be done with paper. And I will switch to mostly non fiction as I really learned a lot from it and like learning new things.
I've read Isaacson's books about Einstein and Franklin; both were excellent. I intentionally skipped his book about Steve Jobs but was wondering about this one. Thank you for the comments,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
Wildebeest
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by Wildebeest » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:03 pm

I am all about the books I still want to finish in 2017. We still have 4 days.

I am 4/5 through Michio Kaku's " The Future of The Mind". I love the public library for it's audio books and I can listen to while stuck in traffic, but I would not spend my own money on it.

I am one quarter of the way in "Words and Rules" by Steven Pinker. X mas gift and so far **** out of *****. This is a book from the nineties. If you have never read Steven Pinker, read " The better angels of our nature: why violence has declined" and you might be happier and will sleep better (I did).

I am on page 11 of "Scale" by Geoffrey West and it is a winner. Five stars. I hope it is as mind blowing as "Sapien" by Hariri. It helps I can read it in poor lighting, because the font is twice as big as "Words and Rules".
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 36475
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by nisiprius » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:20 pm

I've started to re-read The Misbehavior of Markets, by Benoit Mandelbrot and Richard L. Hudson. Does it count if I don't wait until 2018? It's sensational. I'd forgotten just how good it is. Every investor should read it, every investor.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

User avatar
bobcat2
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: just barely Outside the Beltway

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by bobcat2 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm starting a book I got for Christmas from my niece. By chance, it just happened to be on my Amazon wish list and I'm sure my wife didn't tip Jessie off . :wink:

The book is Economics for the Common Good by the great french economist Jean Tirole.

The man who revolutionized the economic subfield of industrial organization, now that he has his Nobel prize in tow, has turned his attention away from directing economic specialists and toward the general informed public. A little dry in its English translation, but nonetheless attempting to show the best path between unfettered capitalism and market regulations.

Link to book - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691175160?_e ... eature_div

Jean Tirole at Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Tirole

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

bhsince87
Posts: 1735
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm looking forward to Larry Swedroe's new book! Can't remember its name though....
BH87

User avatar
pezblanco
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by pezblanco » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:25 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm
The Bible.
You might try "Letter To A Christian Nation" by Sam Harris ... you might think of it as an intelligent commentary on your own particular non-fictional choice. :D

rkhusky
Posts: 5409
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by rkhusky » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm
The Bible.
+1

timmy
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by timmy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:57 am

Das Kapital

Rules for Radicals

Know thine enemy ... :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

skylar
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:28 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by skylar » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:23 am

I don't tend to plan reading far in advance, but the next non-fiction book on my list is Telescope in the Ice, which is about building an instrument in Antarctica to detect neutrinos.

stoptothink
Posts: 4365
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by stoptothink » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:35 am

I've read Angela Duckworth's "Grit", "What Doesn't Kill Us" by Scott Carney, and "Drop Dead Healthy" by AJ Jacobs. Up until this point in 2017, I had actually written more books (2) than I had read. My thirst for the written word is significantly blunted when I am reading several hundred pages of scientific research and writing thousands of words a week myself. 2018, who knows, I'll likely consider that around the same time next year.

timmy
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by timmy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:40 am

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:35 am
I've read Angela Duckworth's "Grit", "What Doesn't Kill Us" by Scott Carney, and "Drop Dead Healthy" by AJ Jacobs. Up until this point in 2017, I had actually written more books (2) than I had read. My thirst for the written word is significantly blunted when I am reading several hundred pages of scientific research and writing thousands of words a week myself. 2018, who knows, I'll likely consider that around the same time next year.
Interesting ... Writing a book is hard work. I wrote/ published something of a long white paper, 40 pages. It had lots of charts and tables so it wasn't 40 pages of words. Respect! Good luck!

User avatar
1210sda
Posts: 1405
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by 1210sda » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:42 am

Whenever it becomes available, The Bogleheads Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio.
1210

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:44 am

I have 58 non-read non-fiction books in paper format and 23 non-fiction on my kindle (I track these all on Goodreads so know all the titles and totals).
Nearly 100% of my reading is non-fiction these days - not sure how many of these I will tackle in 2018 (or where I will start).

User avatar
cinghiale
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by cinghiale » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 am

The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life by Simler and Hanson.

See here: https://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Brain-H ... +the+brain

One review summed the book up nicely: “Charles Darwin, Dan Kahneman, and Malcolm Gladwell walk into a a bar. . . It's no joke! Reading The Elephant in the Brain is like eavesdropping on a fascinating conversation among a group of well-read and clever iconoclasts as they speculate on why we vote against our economic interests, spend too much on health care, give to the wrong charities and pray to gods we aren't sure really exist."

It takes a lot to motivate me to drop $20.00 for a Kindle edition. But this one looks too good to wait for.
Last edited by cinghiale on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

Lynette
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by Lynette » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:57 am

rkhusky wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm
The Bible.
+1
I try reading it in Spanish or Latin (Kindle). I'm restarting Spanish lessons at my community college in January. I know many of the passages in English so it is easier to understand. Eons ago I was a Latin teacher so I find it interesting to see the Latin version.

Mike Scott
Posts: 932
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by Mike Scott » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:12 am

This is my current bedtime reading "Finance for Normal People: How Investors and Markets Behave" and I will be into the new year before I finish it. I think it will go back on the pile to reread again later this year. I will be looking for new tax analysis/strategy in a few months when some of the dust settles on the complicated bits of the new laws. I'm working my way through the Monks of New Skete back library of books about dogs. All supplemented with whatever shows up on the public library new book shelf this year or somehow catches my fancy between now and then.

Derby
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:56 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by Derby » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:18 am

Really looking forward to Steven Pinker's new book in Feb, Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress https://stevenpinker.com/publications/e ... d-progress
Carpe Diem.

MJW
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by MJW » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:51 am

I just started Ron Chernow's "Alexander Hamilton" this week and will likely be working on it for a while.

I have biographies on Napoleon, John Quincy Adams, Winston Churchill and Harry Truman waiting for me, but not sure if they will all be read in 2018. I tend to space my "heavy" reading out with some faster-paced fiction as a palette cleanser.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18525
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:26 pm

cinghiale wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 am
The Elephant in the Mind: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life by Simler and Hanson.

See here: https://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Brain-H ... +the+brain

One review summed the book up nicely: “Charles Darwin, Dan Kahneman, and Malcolm Gladwell walk into a a bar. . . It's no joke! Reading The Elephant in the Brain is like eavesdropping on a fascinating conversation among a group of well-read and clever iconoclasts as they speculate on why we vote against our economic interests, spend too much on health care, give to the wrong charities and pray to gods we aren't sure really exist."

It takes a lot to motivate me to drop $20.00 for a Kindle edition. But this one looks too good to wait for.
You have motivated me to drop $20+ on the hardcover edition. I have not read this book (obviously!), but I would replace Charles Darwin with Siddhartha Mukherjee, the author of an excellent book "The Gene: An Intimate Story." Siddhartha, Danny and Malcolm can literally walk into a bar together, if they choose to do so.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

grandmacassie
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:50 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by grandmacassie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Here's my non-fiction book club's list for 2018:

The River of Consciousness - Oliver Sacks
The General vs the President:MacArthur and Truman at the Brink of Nuclear War - H.W. Brands
The Hidden Life of Trees -Peter Wohlleben
A Crack in Creation: Gene Editing and the Unthinkable Power to Control Evolution - Jennifer Doudna
Leonardo da Vinci - Walter Isaacson
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI - David Grann
Born a Crime: Stories for a South African Childhood - Trevor Noah

Delightfully eclectic!

rkhusky
Posts: 5409
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by rkhusky » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Lynette wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:57 am
rkhusky wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm
The Bible.
+1
I try reading it in Spanish or Latin (Kindle). I'm restarting Spanish lessons at my community college in January. I know many of the passages in English so it is easier to understand. Eons ago I was a Latin teacher so I find it interesting to see the Latin version.
That's neat.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18525
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:54 pm

grandmacassie wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:49 pm
Here's my non-fiction book club's list for 2018:

The River of Consciousness - Oliver Sacks
The General vs the President:MacArthur and Truman at the Brink of Nuclear War - H.W. Brands
The Hidden Life of Trees -Peter Wohlleben
A Crack in Creation: Gene Editing and the Unthinkable Power to Control Evolution - Jennifer Doudna
Leonardo da Vinci - Walter Isaacson
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI - David Grann
Born a Crime: Stories for a South African Childhood - Trevor Noah

Delightfully eclectic!
If bookclubs are ranked by the quality of books they select, yours is at the top. You are very fortunate to be in this club.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
cinghiale
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by cinghiale » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm

VictoriaF wrote,
You have motivated me to drop $20+ on the hardcover edition.
Please note that the correct title of the book is The Elephant in the Brain. (I’ll go back and edit the mistake.) And, per the cost, the news gets worse. As of today, the hardcover edition is $32.51. The Kindle is $23.65. I’ve never spent $23+ for a Kindle offering. But, no matter, in for a dime...

I’m already curious whether the Elephant in the title refers to the central metaphor Jonathan Haidt uses to describe the divided mind (and the contention that it is the rider’s job to serve the elephant, not the other way around) in The Righteous Mind.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18525
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:26 pm

cinghiale wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm
VictoriaF wrote,
You have motivated me to drop $20+ on the hardcover edition.
Please note that the correct title of the book is The Elephant in the Brain. (I’ll go back and edit the mistake.) And, per the cost, the news gets worse. As of today, the hardcover edition is $32.51. The Kindle is $23.65. I’ve never spent $23+ for a Kindle offering. But, no matter, in for a dime...
I clicked on you link, cinghiale, and it took me directly to the Amazon page for this book. Right now, the Amazon discount for the hardcover is only 7%. But usually, when the book is out and its sales ramp up, Amazon offers better discounts.

I am particularly interested in reading Robin Hanson whom Tyler Cowen has characterized as the most unconventional thinker.

Thank you again for the recommendation and Happy New Year!

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

AlwaysaQ
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by AlwaysaQ » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 pm

I plan to finish Freedom from Fear (The War Years) by David M. Kennedy and then start Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson.

I find reading very slow now because I tend to fall asleep.

timmy
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by timmy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Exciting lists.

I find non fiction so much more satisfying than fiction. I understand it is strictly a matter of preference.

User avatar
cinghiale
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by cinghiale » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:36 pm

VictoriaF wrote,
I am particularly interested in reading Robin Hanson whom Tyler Cowen has characterized as the most unconventional thinker.
Cowen would have some insight there as Hanson is his colleague at George Mason University.

Having just downloaded and begun perusing the book, I can report that there’s no connection with Haidt’s elephant and rider metaphor in The Righteous Mind. Rather, the title is a take on “the elephant in the room,” an issue that people are reluctant to acknowledge and address. Here, it refers to a cognitive instead of a social taboo; “an important but unacknowledged feature of how our minds work.”
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

beardsworth
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by beardsworth » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Howard Zinn: A People's History of the United States

User avatar
Tycoon
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by Tycoon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

User avatar
6miths
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by 6miths » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Reading 'American Eclipse" by David Baron given to me by my daughter for Christmas. Recounting the times and total solar eclipse of 1878 in the American west and to commemorate the American eclipse of 2017.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 1772
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by GerryL » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Yesterday I finished The Bettencourt Affair (Tom Sancton) about financial hanky-panky in France involving the "richest woman in the world" that also touched the administration of Nicolas Sarkozy. The dollar (actually euro) figures in this story are beyond comprehension. (This book had been on my library wish list for several months when, coincidentally, Liliane Bettencourt died while I was in France in September.)

This AM I downloaded Hidden Figures.

I generally read non-fiction.

stoptothink
Posts: 4365
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by stoptothink » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:43 pm

timmy wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:40 am
stoptothink wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:35 am
I've read Angela Duckworth's "Grit", "What Doesn't Kill Us" by Scott Carney, and "Drop Dead Healthy" by AJ Jacobs. Up until this point in 2017, I had actually written more books (2) than I had read. My thirst for the written word is significantly blunted when I am reading several hundred pages of scientific research and writing thousands of words a week myself. 2018, who knows, I'll likely consider that around the same time next year.
Interesting ... Writing a book is hard work. I wrote/ published something of a long white paper, 40 pages. It had lots of charts and tables so it wasn't 40 pages of words. Respect! Good luck!
To be fair, I co-authored both books and one is probably characterized as a book-let (~85 pages) and the other (~300 pages) was a collaboration between my employer's scientific research group (6 of us total). I have written several hundred pages of white papers and 150+ articles/blogs for various web and print mediums this year. This week has been the first this year where I literally did not publish anything, but I did read 3 books (the first 3 on my own leisure time). I'm actually trying to get a little away from so much writing in my career.

Good Listener
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by Good Listener » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:42 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:42 pm
Good Listener wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm
Almost all my reading since retirement has been fiction. My best friend bought me the new biography of Leonardo DaVinci by Isaacson. I am not an artsy guy but found this book to be unbelievably great although a much slower read than fiction that I tend to knock off at 2 books per week. I still have about 40 paperbacks of fiction left and after finishing those will get a kindle and be done with paper. And I will switch to mostly non fiction as I really learned a lot from it and like learning new things.
I've read Isaacson's books about Einstein and Franklin; both were excellent. I intentionally skipped his book about Steve Jobs but was wondering about this one. Thank you for the comments,

Victoria
Your welcome. And I too am planning on the books about Einstein and Franklin and had no real interest in the one on Jobs. I simply cannot compare his "genius" if one chooses too apply that word with somebody like Einstein.

Good Listener
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by Good Listener » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Good Listener on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dewey
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 am

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by dewey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:50 pm

pezblanco wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:25 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm
The Bible.
You might try "Letter To A Christian Nation" by Sam Harris ... you might think of it as an intelligent commentary on your own particular non-fictional choice. :D
+1
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

Post Reply