What non fiction book will you be reading in 2019?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HomoLudens

Re: What non fiction book will you be reading in 2018?

Post by HomoLudens »

Herekittykitty wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:16 pm Currently: "The 5 Choices, the Path to Extraordinary Productivity." It is dedicated to Stephen Covey, and his work is part of the foundation of the book. I've gotten through a little of it and so far it looks good.

I'm slow in putting together my reading list, so I don't know yet what comes after that one. The problem is narrowing down the choices from a lot of things I would like to read if I could.

Fareed Zakaria interviewed the authors of these yesterday, and both looked pretty good: "The Romanovs: 1613-1918" by Simon Sebag Montefiore and "Do I Make Myself Clear?: Why Writing Well Matters" by Harold Evans and both look interesting but I don't know if I will get to them.
Montefiore is a wonderful writer.I recall watching an interview with him about his previous books on Stalin. He talked about his writing in a room alongside his wife. She was writing a romantic novel and he was writing about Stalin's purges, which are anything but romantic. Writing partnerships are strange indeed.
"'Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind." Immanuel Kant
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

Fallible wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:08 pm
Good Listener wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:42 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:42 pm
Good Listener wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm Almost all my reading since retirement has been fiction. My best friend bought me the new biography of Leonardo DaVinci by Isaacson. I am not an artsy guy but found this book to be unbelievably great although a much slower read than fiction that I tend to knock off at 2 books per week. I still have about 40 paperbacks of fiction left and after finishing those will get a kindle and be done with paper. And I will switch to mostly non fiction as I really learned a lot from it and like learning new things.
I've read Isaacson's books about Einstein and Franklin; both were excellent. I intentionally skipped his book about Steve Jobs but was wondering about this one. Thank you for the comments,
Victoria
Your welcome. And I too am planning on the books about Einstein and Franklin and had no real interest in the one on Jobs. I simply cannot compare his "genius" if one chooses too apply that word with somebody like Einstein.
FWIW, much has been written questioning the genius of Steve Jobs. I read some of these articles after reading Isaacson's bio of him (which I thought was very good but not great) and one by Isaacson was most interesting to me because he made comparisons with others such as Einstein and Bill Gates. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/opini ... enius.html
Any genious attributed to Steve Jobs undoubtedly needs to be shared with the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center. They're the ones that reportedly invented the GUI. Jobs just adapted it for his own purposes. It would be interesting to read about what led Xerox to come up with such radically new concepts such as using a mouse (assuming that it was Xerox not Jobs that invented the mouse).
AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing »

azurekep wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 pm It would be interesting to read about what led Xerox to come up with such radically new concepts such as using a mouse (assuming that it was Xerox not Jobs that invented the mouse).

That would be have to be Douglas Englebart's Augmentation Research Group( part of SRI) which put on the "Mother of all Demos" in 1968.

http://dougengelbart.org/events/1968-de ... ights.html
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

The Sea Forager’s Guide to the Northern California Coast by Kirk Lombard
Went on a three-hour tour with author on New Year’s Eve (very educational)

Will rely on county library’s weekly book alerts for rest of 2018 reading list.
4nickt

Post by 4nickt »

Black Dog of Fate by Peter Balakian. 10th anniversary edition. A memoir of the Armenian past. Incredible family story of horror and genocide by Turkey that has never been fully understood by most people.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

AlwaysBeClimbing wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:57 pm
azurekep wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 pm It would be interesting to read about what led Xerox to come up with such radically new concepts such as using a mouse (assuming that it was Xerox not Jobs that invented the mouse).

That would be have to be Douglas Englebart's Augmentation Research Group( part of SRI) which put on the "Mother of all Demos" in 1968.

http://dougengelbart.org/events/1968-de ... ights.html
Wow. Thanks for the link. A lot of revolutionary technologies in that one presentation (I watched the 24-minute highlights).

Funny how after displaying the mouse, hypertext, videoconferencing, use of a computer for personal business, and so on, he mentions how an experimental network by Darpa was coming down the pike. ;)
spencer99

Post by spencer99 »

Good thread. I've picked up a couple for my list.

First up for me:

Complete the one I'm currently reading/ Jonathan Losos - Improbable Destinies: Fate, Chance, and the Future of Evolution

Another that I was half way through before needing to return to library/ Nancy Isenberg - White Trash: The 400 year untold history of class in America

And one I've borrowed - Dominic Green/Three Empires on the Nile: The Victorian Jihad, 1869-1899

After that, tackle my library queue below (although probably won't get through everything in '18)

I just finished Mark Kurlansky's "Paper: Paging through History" I enjoyed it enough to try his earlier, "Salt: A World History"

Peter Bernstein - Against the Gods: The remarkable story of Risk

Alexander's "Glass House," previously mentioned up-thread

Issacson's Da Vinci bio (enjoyed his Franklin bio)

I keep up with everything Matt Taibbi writes so I'll pick up his latest, "I Can't Breathe," the story of Eric Garner's detainment and subsequent death at the hands of the police.

David Graeber - Debt: the first 5,000 years

Adam Rutherford - A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The human story told through our genes

Kurt Johnson- Fantasy Land: How America Went Haywire

Steven Johnson - The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic (Pre germ-theory story of the identification of Cholera as a water-born disease)
Topic Author
timmy

Post by timmy »

spencer99 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 pm Good thread. I've picked up a couple for my list.

First up for me:

Complete the one I'm currently reading/ Jonathan Losos - Improbable Destinies: Fate, Chance, and the Future of Evolution

Another that I was half way through before needing to return to library/ Nancy Isenberg - White Trash: The 400 year untold history of class in America

And one I've borrowed - Dominic Green/Three Empires on the Nile: The Victorian Jihad, 1869-1899

After that, tackle my library queue below (although probably won't get through everything in '18)

I just finished Mark Kurlansky's "Paper: Paging through History" I enjoyed it enough to try his earlier, "Salt: A World History"

Peter Bernstein - Against the Gods: The remarkable story of Risk

Alexander's "Glass House," previously mentioned up-thread

Issacson's Da Vinci bio (enjoyed his Franklin bio)

I keep up with everything Matt Taibbi writes so I'll pick up his latest, "I Can't Breathe," the story of Eric Garner's detainment and subsequent death at the hands of the police.

David Graeber - Debt: the first 5,000 years

Adam Rutherford - A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The human story told through our genes

Kurt Johnson- Fantasy Land: How America Went Haywire

Steven Johnson - The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic (Pre germ-theory story of the identification of Cholera as a water-born disease)
A suggestion ... Move this closer to the top of your list. It is so good. Peter Bernstein - Against the Gods: The remarkable story of Risk

I wish long term Podcasts had been around before he moved on. He was so interesting and such a good story teller. He would have made a great Tim Ferris Podcast (2 to 4 hour long) episode.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Most of my non-fiction reading falls into the adventure or travelogue genres...that will continue in '18, although I don't have a ready made list at this point (suggestions welcome!)
Topic Author
timmy

Post by timmy »

azurekep wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 pm
Fallible wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:08 pm
Good Listener wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:42 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:42 pm
Good Listener wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm Almost all my reading since retirement has been fiction. My best friend bought me the new biography of Leonardo DaVinci by Isaacson. I am not an artsy guy but found this book to be unbelievably great although a much slower read than fiction that I tend to knock off at 2 books per week. I still have about 40 paperbacks of fiction left and after finishing those will get a kindle and be done with paper. And I will switch to mostly non fiction as I really learned a lot from it and like learning new things.
I've read Isaacson's books about Einstein and Franklin; both were excellent. I intentionally skipped his book about Steve Jobs but was wondering about this one. Thank you for the comments,
Victoria
Your welcome. And I too am planning on the books about Einstein and Franklin and had no real interest in the one on Jobs. I simply cannot compare his "genius" if one chooses too apply that word with somebody like Einstein.
FWIW, much has been written questioning the genius of Steve Jobs. I read some of these articles after reading Isaacson's bio of him (which I thought was very good but not great) and one by Isaacson was most interesting to me because he made comparisons with others such as Einstein and Bill Gates. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/opini ... enius.html
Any genious attributed to Steve Jobs undoubtedly needs to be shared with the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center. They're the ones that reportedly invented the GUI. Jobs just adapted it for his own purposes. It would be interesting to read about what led Xerox to come up with such radically new concepts such as using a mouse (assuming that it was Xerox not Jobs that invented the mouse).
A good book: https://www.amazon.com/Creativity-Inc-O ... 0812993012

Ed Catmull started Pixar/ runs it now still. It's his story. Either in the book or in an interview, he talks about his questions (to himself) about his contribution to Toy Story 1. He came to the conclusion that it was 1) impossible to answer and 2) was the wrong question.

Post by 2015 »

Probably the worst book I skimmed in 2017 was the insubstantial (at least for me) When Breath Becomes Air. I checked it out, skimmed it for about 8 minutes without leaving the library, and dropped it right back in the returns box. I've noticed that Tadas Viskanta has been posting lots of those types of book recommendations on his Abnormal Returns site, and it's disappointing to me (he used to have such great recommendations).
United2008

Post by United2008 »

2015 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 pm Probably the worst book I skimmed in 2017 was the insubstantial (at least for me) When Breath Becomes Air. I checked it out, skimmed it for about 8 minutes without leaving the library, and dropped it right back in the returns box. I've noticed that Tadas Viskanta has been posting lots of those types of book recommendations on his Abnormal Returns site, and it's disappointing to me (he used to have such great recommendations).
This is interesting. I read this book in three evenings (fast for me) because I found it so engaging. As a non medical professional wrestling with the challenges that come with having sick elderly relatives, I thought it was an interesting perspective on balancing treatment and quality of life (as was Being Mortal).

Post by 2015 »

United2008 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 pm
2015 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 pm Probably the worst book I skimmed in 2017 was the insubstantial (at least for me) When Breath Becomes Air. I checked it out, skimmed it for about 8 minutes without leaving the library, and dropped it right back in the returns box. I've noticed that Tadas Viskanta has been posting lots of those types of book recommendations on his Abnormal Returns site, and it's disappointing to me (he used to have such great recommendations).
This is interesting. I read this book in three evenings (fast for me) because I found it so engaging. As a non medical professional wrestling with the challenges that come with having sick elderly relatives, I thought it was an interesting perspective on balancing treatment and quality of life (as was Being Mortal).
My reaction is probably because I thought the book was going to be about something else. I also have relatives whose health are declining but who are also adamant regarding eschewing most treatment, so treatment vs. quality of life isn't really an issue for them. It's also my perspective, which is probably why I didn't find the book enlightening.

I'm glad you found value in it. :beer
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

Evicted by Matthew Desmond. Won the Pulitzer. Read during final days of 2017.
wow!howmuch?

Post by wow!howmuch? »

LasixDrip wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:49 pm Critical Care Ultrasonography by Alexander Levitov. Excited. Should have asked for this for Christmas.
Lol liar!!!!
School books don’t count!!
......I still have my Critical Care books from school....
"Gold is warm and contains something of the sun". --Saint Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179)
wow!howmuch?

Post by wow!howmuch? »

wow!howmuch? wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 am
LasixDrip wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:49 pm Critical Care Ultrasonography by Alexander Levitov. Excited. Should have asked for this for Christmas.
Lol liar!!!!
School books don’t count!!
......I still have my Critical Care books from school....

I re reading the 1990’s Star Wars trilogy the Thrawn trilogy
Heir to the empire etc. these 3 books are my episodes 7,8,9

I hate the new movies
"Gold is warm and contains something of the sun". --Saint Hildegard of Bingen (1098-1179)
ekid

Post by ekid »

Daniel Ellsberg "The Doomsday Machine"

Every thinking human ought to read it. If it's mentioned upthread, please draw my attention to it.
You remember Ellsberg; RAND Corp and consultant to Kennedy admin.
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

4nickt wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 pm Black Dog of Fate by Peter Balakian. 10th anniversary edition. A memoir of the Armenian past. Incredible family story of horror and genocide by Turkey that has never been fully understood by most people.
A great book. If you're interested in another (or for those interested in unfamiliar aspects of WWI history), A Shameful Act by Taner Akcam (who is Turkish) was excellent.
Topic Author
timmy

Post by timmy »

SeekingAPlan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm Glass House: The 1% Economy and the Shattering of an All American Town by Brian Alexander.

Tells the story of Anchor Hocking & the workers in Lancaster, PA.
+1
Bird Exception

Post by Bird Exception »

I’ll be reading Chris Voss’s book, Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As Though Your Life Depended On It.

Listened to Voss’s interview on the Farnam Street podcast and found it thought-provoking:
https://www.farnamstreetblog.com/2018/01/chris-voss/
Who's playing for second?
fm3040

Post by fm3040 »

pezblanco wrote: ↑Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:25 pm
cheese_breath wrote: ↑Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:20 pm
The Bible.
You might try "Letter To A Christian Nation" by Sam Harris ... you might think of it as an intelligent commentary on your own particular non-fictional choice. :D
+1

+1
fm3040

Post by fm3040 »

Upstream: Searching for Wild Salmon, from River to Table
Retired CPA

Post by Retired CPA »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm The Bible.
+1
Klaxton

Post by Klaxton »

Writer, Soldier, Sailor, Spy - Ernest Hemingway's Secret Adventures - 1935-1961 © 2017. (Nicholas Reynolds) More of an historical biography but reads like a fictional spy novel.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I will probably read again the book 'A Cultural History of Climate' by Wolfgang Behringer. He is a history professor and searched historic records for understanding climate over the last 1000s of years. He also includes findings from drilling into glaciers and bottom of oceans. He is at a German university and not paid by the oil industry.

Interesting is that he found that climate was always cyclical, especially that there is a 1000 year cycle of warming around time 0, 900- 1250 and now again. In between there were colder times like recently 1400-1800 the 'Little Ice Age'. Interesting is that alpine glaciers were growing several hundred years ago covering alpine villages, and now those alpine villages appear again as glaciers retreat. Vikings settled on Greenland between 900 and 1300 as it was warm there then, and they could bury their dead, but now there is still permafrost in their cemeteries.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

As mentioned above, I was going to read John Feinstein's "The First Major" about the 2016 Ryder Cup.

Finished it and highly recommend it. I am not a golfer, nor do I follow it. However, Feinstein is excellent. After finishing I am ready to:

1. Find other books of his to read.
2. Watch big golf (majors) on TV.
3. Hit the links with my sons.

Ed
Topic Author
timmy

Post by timmy »

ekid wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:39 pm Daniel Ellsberg "The Doomsday Machine"

Every thinking human ought to read it. If it's mentioned upthread, please draw my attention to it.
You remember Ellsberg; RAND Corp and consultant to Kennedy admin.
+1
Rhadamanthus

Post by Rhadamanthus »

For personal reading, this year I'm finally intending to work through The Origins of Order: Self-Organization and Selection in Evolution by Stuart Kauffman. It came out in 1993 and I got my copy probably 10 years ago and kept starting it but never getting very far because it's quite dense and takes focus and patience. Google helps too since I don't have a biology background, though my Computer Science background helps given my interest in evolutionary computing.

As for work-related books:
Hardening Linux in Hostile Networks - Reading this now, lots I already knew but learning some new stuff.
Bulletproof SSL and TLS - SSL/TLS security has always been one of my weak areas
Infrastructure as Code - My company recently moved most of our stuff to AWS, including my Linux servers, so this will be really helpful.
Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud - Also because of AWS plus I just like performance tuning. :)
revert

Post by revert »

Calygos wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 am Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud - Also because of AWS plus I just like performance tuning. :)
A truly excellent book - one of the only tech books I bother to keep around. 😊

Do be sure to browse Brendan Gregg's blog as well. Much has improved on the Linux side in the last couple of years with the introduction/expansion of eBPF, so some of the specific tooling suggestions in the book may be out of date.
Rhadamanthus

Post by Rhadamanthus »

revert wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:09 am
Calygos wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 am Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud - Also because of AWS plus I just like performance tuning. :)
A truly excellent book - one of the only tech books I bother to keep around. 😊

Do be sure to browse Brendan Gregg's blog as well. Much has improved on the Linux side in the last couple of years with the introduction/expansion of eBPF, so some of the specific tooling suggestions in the book may be out of date.
Thanks for the tip! I hadn't looked at Brendan's blog in forever, and I absolutely loved using DTrace in my Solaris administration days. (I know it's also part of macOS but I just never have a need for it on my little laptop.) I can't believe I've never run across eBPF!
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

This book wasn't on my radar. I randomly found it on the library shelf and thought it was something different. It turned out to be a very good read.

Standard Deviations: Flawed Assumptions, Tortured Data, and Other Ways to Lie with Statistics by Gary Smith

The author does a very good job of examining most of the flawed reasoning I see here on this board and elsewhere. I highly recommend it.

Tycoon.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

John McCain and Mark Salter: The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations

https://www.amazon.com/Restless-Wave-Ca ... tless+Wave
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I don't read much non-fiction, so likely "none". The exception would be if I became interested in some topic although usually in that case I research online. I have in past read some of the Nolo books on estate planning. Back in the day, a number of investing books, but I don't do that anymore.
Koogie

Post by Koogie »

Currently working on two. Not so sure I will finish one of them.

The Butchering Art. ~ Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine ~
Lindsey Fitzharris. ""In The Butchering Art , the historian Lindsey Fitzharris reveals the shocking world of nineteenth-century surgery and shows how it was transformed by advances made in germ theory and antiseptics between 1860 and 1875. She conjures up early operating theaters--no place for the squeamish--and surgeons, who, working before anesthesia, were lauded for their speed and brute strength.""

Fifty Ships That Changed the Course of History. ~ A Nautical History of the World ~
Ian Graham. """A history of economic development in fifty ships, starting from the earliest known record, Pharaoh Khufu's solar barge (roughly 5000 years ago), to MS Allure of the Seas, the biggest passenger ship ever built (longer than the Eiffel Tower is tall)."""
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Not a book, but I read a lot of nonfiction articles through longform.org. Very well curated and works well with the Pocket app.
https://longform.org/
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I look forward to reading Taylor's new book "The Three Fund Portfolio". I also understand that Jack Bogle is writing another book.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am presently reading Sam Zell "Am I Being Too Subtle?" and overall it is good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I borrowed "Meet the Frugalwoods" from the library today.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Colorado13 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:16 pm I borrowed "Meet the Frugalwoods" from the library today.

After listening to a podcast or two, this book would definitely be categorized as fiction. They have lied and evaded critical inquiries about their journey to FI.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I am currently reading Andy Kilpatrick's Of Permanent Value: The Story of Warren Buffett. It's not organized in any particular thematic way. It's more like a series of chapters on particular things in the history of Buffett or Berkshire Hathaway. But it's chock-ful of details that Alice Schroeder's The Snowball and Lowenstein's Buffett did not have, so I am enjoying it.
AMG79

Post by AMG79 »

Just starting Irrational Exuberance. Highly recommend GRIT.
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Promise Me, Dad by Joe Biden
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

So far in 2018 I've read:

Extreme Ownership - Jocko Willink
Influence - Robert Cialdini
Mere Christianity - CS Lewis
Devil in the White City - Erik Larson

Next up:

A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

Theistic Evolution: A Scientific, Philosophical and Theological Critique

So far in 2018, I've read:
The Man in the Mirror - Patrick M. Morley
The Language of God - Francis S. Collins
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:43 am Most of my non-fiction reading falls into the adventure or travelogue genres...that will continue in '18, although I don't have a ready made list at this point (suggestions welcome!)
This list has served me well over the years. I have read perhaps 80% of them and the remaining ones are harder to find because they are no longer in print.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/731 ... hic_s_list
Green Street

Post by Green Street »

Just finished reading The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy and Focal Point: A Proven System to Simplify Your Life, Double Your Productivity, and Achieve All Your Goals by Brian Tracy. Both were eye opening for me, especially in the realm of decision making. Just as life changing as The Millionaire Next Door.

Next up is the Millionaire Mind.
Searching Through The FiRE
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

Bad Blood by John Carreyrou. I loved it, hard to put down. Even if you followed the coverage of Theranos, the book is 80% of what happened before he started investigating them.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fgtayl01

Post by fgtayl01 »

SeekingAPlan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 pm Glass House: The 1% Economy and the Shattering of an All American Town by Brian Alexander.

Tells the story of Anchor Hocking & the workers in Lancaster, PA.
Loved this book.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

mattshwink wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:41 pm Bad Blood by John Carreyrou. I loved it, hard to put down. Even if you followed the coverage of Theranos, the book is 80% of what happened before he started investigating them.
I couldn't put it down, either, wondering how much longer the deception, lies, and bullying could continue before those powerful figures enabling Holmes finally emerged from deep denial about her. Some never did by book's end, but maybe they have since criminal charges were filed after the book's publication.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle