manual car for new teen driver

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
letsgobobby

manual car for new teen driver

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:45 pm

looking for a car for a soon to be new teen driver.

should be safe in crash testing and avoidance; reliable; and - this is the kicker - a stick shift. looking used and under $10k would be great but could go higher.

most of the manuals are small cars. are there any larger and/or safer manual transmission cars that you can recommend?

here’s a list of recommended cars from IIHS:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicles-for-teens

Mike Scott

Re: manual car for new teen driver

Post by Mike Scott » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Locally, I could probably find a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry stick shift and a variety of pick up trucks. Most of the stick shifts will be in small cars and they are getting less common.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:00 pm

A stick shift car and a teen driver seems a recipe for traction and acceleration testing with peers :shock:
That said, I taught my son how to drive on an old Toyota pickup truck, touchy clutch and standard shift. He is an excellent driver today.
Toyota pickup.
Toyota Corolla/Camry.
Honda Civic/Accord.
j :D

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Maybe a Subaru Forester or legacy. You should be able to find 2010 models that are MT under $10k.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:04 pm

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm

The Chevy Malibu isn't available in manual, but the Fords and Mazdas are.

Edit to add...That article is a couple of years old, so you could probably look at model years that are a couple of years newer, and still stay under $10k.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:17 pm

05-09 Subaru Legacy. Audi A4. Wrangler Unlimited. Civic.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:20 pm

lot of the suggested cars are either small or not reliable (Wrangler?!?).

maybe accord, camry, fusion.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:24 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:45 pm

should be safe in crash testing and avoidance; reliable; and - this is the kicker - a stick shift. looking used and under $10k would be great but could go higher.

most of the manuals are small cars. are there any larger and/or safer manual transmission cars that you can recommend?

Mazda 6 can be found in manual as can the Passat. Last gen BMW 5 series is probably the largest sedan you can find- but questionable reliability. Audi A4. You want a FWD or AWD car- not a RWD truck for a new driver.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:33 pm

I bought my daughter a used Civic SI when she first got her license and she is still enjoying it 7 years later. It comes with a 6 speed manual. You can get pretty good deals on used manual transmission cars because ther isn’t much demand.

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:46 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:24 pm
letsgobobby wrote:

Mazda 6 can be found in manual as can the Passat. Last gen BMW 5 series is probably the largest sedan you can find- but questionable reliability. Audi A4. You want a FWD or AWD car- not a RWD truck for a new driver.
Mazda 6 sv stick shift. 2009-2011

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Civic. Or Mazda 3. Done. Great choice.

abonder

Post by abonder » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:05 pm

Mazda 3 can be had with a manual. You could probably get 2012 or older for under 10k. I’ve had my 2011 manual for 6+ years with minimal issues and have always found it to be enjoyable and fun to drive (considering it’s an economy car).

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:53 pm

alfaspider wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:

I think it's silly to say a new driver can handle a manual transmission but not RWD. If the objective is to throw them into the deep end it doesn't matter if it's 10ft deep or 100ft deep.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:20 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:53 pm
alfaspider wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:

I think it's silly to say a new driver can handle a manual transmission but not RWD. If the objective is to throw them into the deep end it doesn't matter if it's 10ft deep or 100ft deep.
A manual transmission demands more driver attention, but the consequences of getting it wrong (stalling or clutch wear) are rarely dangerous. By contrast a RWD car is far more likely to oversteer in a low traction environment or evasive maneuvers- which is much more likely to result in a catastrophic accident when handled poorly than a stall at a stoplight.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:21 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:47 pm
Too small, not on iihs recommended list.

Looks like the family sedans or small SUV might be the sweet spot, mazda6, Accord, etc. Just need to find one with stick.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Mazda 6 and accord would be a great choice. I know Camry stick shifts exist but I think they are unicorns. I also had a 2007 legacy 5MT and it was a great car. Don't get him a turbo Subaru...

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Having been reminded by posts here.... a Mazda 6 may be the ideal vehicle. I've owned the older generation (04) manual 4 cyl and it was stellar, except it would not get up my driveway in snow (yes, with snow tires). I also drove the current generation. It's big, it handles nicely, the great Mazda 4 cyl is wonderful and it shifts well. Mazdas tend to be underpriced used (except anything Mazdaspeed) so you get a lot of car for your buck.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Dear Dad,

All I want for Christmas is a Mustang GT
A Mustang GT
Oh, a Mustang GT
All I want for Christmas is a Mustang GT
And I would have a Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,
The kids

Gill

Post by Gill » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Take a look at CarMax. They show 491 cars with stick shift under $10,000.
Gill

6miths

Post by 6miths » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:31 pm

17-year-old son is driving my 11-year-old Acura CSX 6-speed and loves it. It is a Canadian built Acura badged Civic. I like the idea that it keeps him engaged in driving and pretty effectively removes any idea of texting while one is driving in traffic.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Millennial wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:27 pm
Mazda 6 and accord would be a great choice. I know Camry stick shifts exist but I think they are unicorns. I also had a 2007 legacy 5MT and it was a great car. Don't get him a turbo Subaru...
I have one of those unicorns - a 2000 Camry CE. Getting ready to replace it soon.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:51 pm

I bought my son a Subaru crosstrek, reasonably safe, good visibility and easy to drive, no regrets. Not expensive either.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:56 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:21 pm
PFInterest wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:47 pm
Too small, not on iihs recommended list.

Looks like the family sedans or small SUV might be the sweet spot, mazda6, Accord, etc. Just need to find one with stick.
Too small for what?....can get into plenty of trouble and easily holds 2 teens................

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:57 pm

As a lifelong gearheard and manual transmission diehard, it pains me to say this but teaching a young person to drive a manual transmission in 2018 is a waste of time. Might as well teach them how to churn butter.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Acura TSX would be a great manual car. They were built approximately 2004-13. The earlier models are slightly towards the smaller side, but the later versions were comparable to an Accord in size. Acura reliability, so you could probably find many with < 100k miles (half its useful life left) for around $10k.

sport

Post by sport » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:09 pm

For a new driver, nothing comes without effort. They must think about everything that is going on, especially what they are doing along with the things other drivers are doing. They are not able to anticipate what is about to happen because they don't have the experience to recognize situations as they begin to occur. Therefore, it is important for them to maintain their full attention on the traffic environment. Accordingly, IMO the last thing they need to be thinking about is the mechanics of operating a clutch and shifter. An automatic transmission frees their mind of such concerns and lets them devote full attention to their driving. Once they are more experienced, a stick shift would be more appropriate. Perhaps a stick shift would be more fun to drive. However, the safety of the driver, passengers, and others on the road is the most important consideration. You would not want to have a new driver kill someone because they were thinking about what gear they should be in, or when to shift.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:21 pm

eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:57 pm
As a lifelong gearheard and manual transmission diehard, it pains me to say this but teaching a young person to drive a manual transmission in 2018 is a waste of time. Might as well teach them how to churn butter.
My kids have have ingrained into them that they must learn to be proficient at driving a manual transmission car. My older son agreed and can double clutch downshift with the best of them. My younger one refuses to start driving lessons until I get a manual transmission car to teach him. There are still plenty of cars with manual transmissions. I don't care that double clutch flappy paddle autos are faster.

mavi

Post by mavi » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:28 pm

sport wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:09 pm
For a new driver, nothing comes without effort. They must think about everything that is going on, especially what they are doing along with the things other drivers are doing. They are not able to anticipate what is about to happen because they don't have the experience to recognize situations as they begin to occur. Therefore, it is important for them to maintain their full attention on the traffic environment. Accordingly, IMO the last thing they need to be thinking about is the mechanics of operating a clutch and shifter. An automatic transmission frees their mind of such concerns and lets them devote full attention to their driving. Once they are more experienced, a stick shift would be more appropriate. Perhaps a stick shift would be more fun to drive. However, the safety of the driver, passengers, and others on the road is the most important consideration. You would not want to have a new driver kill someone because they were thinking about what gear they should be in, or when to shift.
I think you underestimate how reckless some teenagers are, and how invincible these teenagers think they are. IMHO, needing to keep a hand on the shifter will reduce (though certainly not eliminate) the risk of teenagers trying to do more dangerous multitasking, such as texting.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:32 pm

sport wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:09 pm
I hear you, trust me, I learned on a stick. However I was NEVER so focused in my life as I was the first few times I drove. Actually for quite some time. Radio - off. Talking - no. Felt like I was piloting a space ship. The enormity of knowing I had to work both feet, both hands, can't look down because I needed to keep my eyes on the road, etc., in order to drive this complicated piece of machinery without mishap freaked me out. Driving was not fun, it was an ordeal to be endured. Now if all I had to do was flip it into D and go, that would've been fun. But that's old school and not the world we live in any more. If it were me I'd have my boys learn on a stick if only because if you can drive a stick you can drive anything. And I think it makes you a better driver. But the days of sticks are long gone. What I worry about most now are texting (other drivers) and when the times comes for my boys to drive - them texting or talking on phones. The distraction of phones (in my mind) is as bad or worse than drunk driving. I always say, experience can't be taught, it only comes from close calls, and I only hope that that the close calls aren't too close....

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:36 pm

I want my kids to be able to get away when they rob a bank, no matter WHAT car they end up stealing...

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:41 pm

eye.surgeon wrote:
Not a valid point in Europe. Stick shift are more common there than here, and usually stick shift rentals are cheaper.

sport

Post by sport » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:44 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:36 pm
I want my kids to be able to get away when they rob a bank, no matter WHAT car they end up stealing...
I am not saying don't learn to drive a stick. I am saying learn to drive first, then worry about learning the mechanics of operating a stick shift. There is no need to learn both at the same time.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:50 pm

This discussion reminds me of when I was learning to drive in the '60's and my father insisting that "you can't really drive until you can pull a tandem axle trailer." Fortunately he didn't require me to drive one from the get-go. At this point I think knowing how to drive a manual transmission is nice but no longer even a remotely necessary skill.

I'm not sure that I would even make the assumption that driving a manual increases a young driver's focus on driving. That seems logical, but it could well have exactly the opposite effect. With so many hands-free phone options now, having a manual transmission to deal with could simply be adding another layer of distraction to a young driver.

Disclaimer: I learned to drive on a manual and drove manuals by preference until 2004. At that point I decided I would rather have a hand free to drink coffee and answer incoming phone calls. I don't think DS or DD can drive a manual; it hasn't impacted their lives for the worse that I can tell.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:56 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:36 pm
Not to drone on here, but back to my post about the Mustang GT. Also consider the Fast and Furious box set as a training regimen.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:01 pm

The base model Kia Soul comes in manual transmission.

Might be too small for what you are looking for. I actually just bought one for my daughter as a college car. A 2015 but the next level up with auto as she has never driven a manual. Very nice college car.

It is a highly rated small car as far as safety and reliability though.

I learned driving on sticks and my first 5 or 6 cars were all stick shift until I finally bought a minivan in my 40s after having 3 kids. My one pause for putting a kid in a stick is if you live in any kind of hilly area which parts of Vancouver and Portland certainly are. Parking and starting on a steep hill is something of an acquired skill. Going to be a scary thing for a new driver to learn. I can still remember the terror of driving my old VW in San Francisco and praying that i wouldn't get stuck stopped half way up one of those hills with another car on my rear bumper.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Stickshifts are the best. All people should know how to drive one in case of emergency.

momvesting

Post by momvesting » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:18 pm

I’m kind of in the same boat. We recently stumbled upon the Nissan Sentra. They are overstocked and the new 2017s keep coming down in price and the base model, which is a stick shift, is now around $11k.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:34 am

When I was looking for a MT car in 2015, the pickings were already getting slim. I specifically wanted a 4-door sedan to have more accessible seating for my elderly mother. According to my spreadsheet notes, the midsize MT sedans with the best crash test ratings ("Top Picks" by IIHS) were Honda Accord and Mazda 6. Their counterparts in the small sedan category were also "Top Picks". The Hyundai Sonata, Ford Fusion, and Toyota Camry did not have MT available in 2015 according to my spreadsheet, although some had it available in 2014 or earlier years.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:41 am

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:20 pm
A manual transmission demands more driver attention, but the consequences of getting it wrong (stalling or clutch wear) are rarely dangerous. By contrast a RWD car is far more likely to oversteer in a low traction environment or evasive maneuvers- which is much more likely to result in a catastrophic accident when handled poorly than a stall at a stoplight.
Though those are the most common ways to get it wrong with a manual, they are by no means the only, and some are more dangerous. For one example, a "money shift" (accidentally grabbing first instead of 3rd), in addition to destroying the engine, is likely to cause a FWD car to spin out or flip.

But then again, my first vehicle after driving my parents' FWD cars for a couple of years was a RWD pickup with an auto and v6. 18 months later I traded it for another RWD pickup, but this time with a v8 and manual. So I never had a problem with either.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:31 am

It’s not on your approved list but I drive a 2010 Honda Fit and I find that it has a wonderful 5 speed gearbox and clutch. Some people complain that it’s geared low but I find it perfect with a sporty feel at an economy price. I researched the safety and crash ratings when I bought it and they were excellent. I don’t know what the newer Fits are like—or the availability of manual transmissions on them. I had to hunt down mine back then so they may be hard to find. Seems like people like automatics or fake stick shits (paddles). To me, if it doesn’t have a clutch, it’s not a stick shift. Good luck.

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:05 am

I have driven a series of VW Golfs over many years, MT, and just love them. They are extremely popular in Europe, less so here, but I love the feel of the drive, the roomy hatch, etc. etc. I learned to drive on a MT and will never own anything else.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:58 am

To OP. Most points both sides of the equation are valid here.
My question to you is, why do you feel your new teen driver needs a stick shift car?
Is this your desire or his?
You have not stated any personal reasons for this desire.
What is the motive here?

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:23 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:41 am
alfaspider wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:20 pm
Though those are the most common ways to get it wrong with a manual, they are by no means the only, and some are more dangerous. For one example, a "money shift" (accidentally grabbing first instead of 3rd), in addition to destroying the engine, is likely to cause a FWD car to spin out or flip.

But then again, my first vehicle after driving my parents' FWD cars for a couple of years was a RWD pickup with an auto and v6. 18 months later I traded it for another RWD pickup, but this time with a v8 and manual. So I never had a problem with either.
A money shift in street driving is pretty rare- most transmissions will give considerable resistance if you are trying to get into a gear that far out of the rev range. I’ve never heard of someone flipping a car from a money shift.

My first car was RWD and it was frankly a bad choice. I spun it three times while I owned it (twice in snow, once in rain) and only avoided an accident by pure luck. Part of the problem is that I was never trained on how to handle oversteer- just telling a teen to steer into the skid is not going to work when they are alone and in the heat of the momen.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:27 am

I still have one manual transmission left in my stable of vehicles but they are getting hard to find. One thing to consider if it relates to your situation, is that with very few drivers these days knowing how to drive a manual transmission, their resale value is about half of a automatic transmission unless the car is popular among the "tuner" crowd. I learned this when trying to help my parents sell their manual transmission vehicle with 4-doors (i.e. not a popular option among the tuners) because they were unable to drive it with their foot condition. I only got half of what automatic transmission vehicles of the same model were selling for after lots of trying.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:33 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:27 am
I still have one manual transmission left in my stable of vehicles but they are getting hard to find. One thing to consider if it relates to your situation, is that with very few drivers these days knowing how to drive a manual transmission, their resale value is about half of a automatic transmission unless the car is popular among the "tuner" crowd. I learned this when trying to help my parents sell their manual transmission vehicle with 4-doors (i.e. not a popular option among the tuners) because they were unable to drive it with their foot condition. I only got half of what automatic transmission vehicles of the same model were selling for after lots of trying.
Where are these cheap manual transmission cars worth half of an auto? Most seem to command a premium around here.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 am

alfaspider wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:33 am
lthenderson wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:27 am
Where are these cheap manual transmission cars worth half of an auto? Most seem to command a premium around here.
Perhaps it is a location thing then. My manual is worth a premium because it is a two door stick and of a vintage desirable to the tuner crowd. I get them stopping by several times a year offering to buy my car. But I was surprised at how hard it was to sell my parents four door car with low miles recently. I had lots of people interested until they figured out it was a manual and they didn't know how to drive one despite it listed as a manual in the car ad. Ten years ago when I sold my last manual transmission vehicle, it sold fast and at a premium like you suggest. I think perhaps times are changing.

tic

Post by tic » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:59 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
It's less useful than it used to be, but it has still been useful for me in those rare situations when I've had to drive a buddy's old truck, an uncle's old tractor, or whenever traveling internationally (as someone pointed out, manual rental cars are the norm in many places, and much cheaper than automatics). I think there's still plenty of benefit left to make it worth doing.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:11 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 am
Perhaps it is a location thing then. My manual is worth a premium because it is a two door stick and of a vintage desirable to the tuner crowd. I get them stopping by several times a year offering to buy my car. But I was surprised at how hard it was to sell my parents four door car with low miles recently. I had lots of people interested until they figured out it was a manual and they didn't know how to drive one despite it listed as a manual in the car ad. Ten years ago when I sold my last manual transmission vehicle, it sold fast and at a premium like you suggest. I think perhaps times are changing.
Probably one exception to this is the Ford Focus, where the manual sedans/wagons are worth more than equivalent auto models. But that's because the dual-clutch automatic transmission in the Focus is one of the worst transmissions available in any recent car.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:20 am

I find reading all of these responses hilarious. I’ve only driven manuals in the most populous area of the country (so did my older sister), got my license in 2003, and never had an issue. Unless your kid is a complete moron he or she is not going to have any difficulties once they get the hang of shifting.

They’re not going to blow out the engine racing any more than a kid with an automatic transmission flooring it in neutral and then dropping it into drive will. They’re not going to need to learn to master “heel toe double clutch downshifting” unless they’re driving a semi truck or a modified nascar stock car that has no sychromesh.

The hardest thing they’d have to figure out is starting on a steep hill from a stop or going in reverse. And most cars built in the last 10 years or so have auto hold technology so you won’t even roll backwards anymore.

The hysteria on bogleheads about car safety always makes me chuckle.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:25 am

Where you live could also be a factor in deciding if having them learn to drive on a manual transmission is a good idea of not. If you are in a congested urban or suburban area driving with a manual is a lot harder than if you live in a rural or non-congested suburban area.

When shopping for a used car it is best to have a list of maybe six models that would be acceptable then to see what is available within that list. If you find a fantastic car that is your fourth choice that could be a lot better car than finding a mediocre car that is in high demand that would have been your first choice.

A sad story about manual transmissions though. It was a long time ago but someone in my high class had a manual transmission original Volkswagen Beetle. He did just fine with driving it but when he was college age he and a girlfriend were at a party and he was drinking but she had not been drinking so they had her try to drive home even though she did not know how to drive a manual transmission. She ended up wrecking the car and was killed. He survived but was very changed(long story).

If you do get a kid a manual transmission car then I would strongly caution him or her about letting friends drive the car. Even when drinking is not involved some of their friends may want to try driving a stick shift. If you get them an automatic then it would also be good to teach them to drive a manual in case they get into a situation where they need to drive one.