What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by dm200 »

I hope this turns out to be frugal and wise - will not know for sure until some time passes - will repair my 1998 low mileage Toyota Camry instead of getting rid of it and buying another car.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

Called my TV provider and scooped up two $20/month discounts good for 12 months, plus a $14/month discount on my sports package good for 3 months. Also bought 12,000 points for $79 from Choice Hotels and used it for a free night that was going for $159.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

1) Switched from Optum Bank HSA ($3 monthly fee) to Lively HSA (no fees and now no commissions investing Lively HSA with TD Ameritrade).

2) Received a new “Discover-IT” credit card today and set about switching all our automatic payments to it. I’ll receive 5% back on a quarterly rolling list of establishments/purchases such as Amazon, Walmart.com & Target this quarter, and next quarter on grocery stores, then gas stations & Uber/Lyft, and after that restaurants & Paypal (up to $1500 max in purchases per quarter), and 1% on everything else unlimited.

And as a signup bonus for the first year they match it, so it’s effectively 10% and 2% back, as long as I keep the card for a full year at least.

Our grocery store previously accepted no credit cards at all, just cash, checks, & debit, but recently they began accepting Discover (as the only credit card) so that’s what prompted the acquisition of this card. Before this we of necessity used only debit from our checking account at this grocery. Since we spend thousands on groceries annually it’ll be worth it. I can get some money back now.
zeal

Post by zeal »

Time to change the oil in my '06 Corolla and I decided to save a little time and let someone else do it for me. I took it to one of those SpeeDee/Jiffy Lube type places, where they promptly told me what other things were wrong with it as they changed the oil--serpentine belt is cracked, and mileage/age warrants replacing antifreeze and automatic transmission fluid. This is the first and only car I've ever owned and I'm not much of a car person so I didn't quite know if they were trying to rip me off. They offered to do these three jobs for ~$100 each, and I kindly said, "No, thank you," and went on my way. Spoke to an out-of-state friend who's worked on vehicles all his life and did a bit of research on the internet... Bought an $11 serpentine belt and a $5 antifreeze tester, replaced the serpentine belt myself in about 5 minutes, checked the antifreeze and it's still in perfect shape, and determined that transmission fluid is fine upon friend's recommendation. So instead of leaving my car with some strangers for the whole afternoon and paying them $300, I spent 45 minutes and about $17 to bring this baby back into shape. Pretty happy with this outcome... :dollar :dollar
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Having had a Costco CitiCard for many years - and not knowing or comprehending the credits/discounts available (check for Costco use once a year), my wife and I are now charging most of our purchases on the Costco Citicard. :happy :dollar
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

reinvested my RMD.
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

I chose to forego tipping the waitress who served me my lunch today, for a savings of $2.76.

Went right into VTSAX.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

I hope she remembers you the next time you eat there.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

I just ended a 3-day fast - a really good way to reduce the food bill.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Yesterday, as are all Tuesdays, was senior discount day at one of the local farmer's supply companies. I bought seeds for "green manure" at 10% off. Then, I went to a grocery store which usually has good markdowns. The produce markdowns were horrible, so when the stocker jokingly said something about my not buying any markdowns (I have always said good morning to her) and I replied that the pickings were slim, she told me to get what I wanted and she would mark them down. I left a happy camper.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
jb1

Post by jb1 »

Some of this stuff personally makes me embarrassed to be a boglehead. People are flat out listing cheap acts rather than frugal.. if your life is different over not tippikgna server $1 then I can only imagine what your life/living space looks like..

As far as frugal for me.. I chose to skip out on buying an Apple Watch, and invest the $300 instead.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Last evening - with my wife at Silver Diner - asked for, and received a 10% "Senior" discount. [One benefit of being "old"]
dm200

Post by dm200 »

jb1 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:25 am Some of this stuff personally makes me embarrassed to be a boglehead. People are flat out listing cheap acts rather than frugal.. if your life is different over not tippikgna server $1 then I can only imagine what your life/living space looks like..
As far as frugal for me.. I chose to skip out on buying an Apple Watch, and invest the $300 instead.
I suspect some of such postings are "tongue in cheek". ;)
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

jb1 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:25 am Some of this stuff personally makes me embarrassed to be a boglehead. People are flat out listing cheap acts rather than frugal.. if your life is different over not tippikgna server $1 then I can only imagine what your life/living space looks like..

It was $2.76, not $1.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Recently started walking home for lunch (I live close by) instead of eating at a local restaurant near my office. I've always done this, but been doing it more often due to the fall weather. Eat better, healthier food and enjoy the air.
Workable Goblin

Post by Workable Goblin »

A bit of background for this one: last month I tried to switch from Spectrum to the local phone company for Internet service because the latter was offering an acceptable service at a considerably lower price than Spectrum (especially since my promotional charge was over). Unfortunately, I ran into insurmountable technical problems (aka "Couldn't connect to anything") despite multiple technical callouts and canceled the service after a couple of weeks without ever actually making use of it.

I noticed today that the phone company's website was continuing to claim that I owed the normal amount for the first month of service despite the company having a refund policy, so I called in to make sure that I didn't actually owe anything. It turned out that there was a problem where part of my bill hadn't been credited back properly, and then because I was able to cite a terms and conditions document that specifically stated that one-time charges would be canceled I was able to convince the CSR to cancel the hookup fee as well as the usual monthly bill, despite the regular website excluding one-time charges.

The upshot was that I saved over $30 that I would otherwise have had to pay to cover that one-time fee, in addition to having the monthly bill credit handled properly. So that was a pretty good use of an hour or so.
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

Last edited by GoneOnTilt on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

I took a short Uber trip today. No tip. The cost was way less than a taxi.
jb1

Post by jb1 »

dm200 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:01 am
I suspect some of such postings are "tongue in cheek". ;)
In that case today I took all the doors off my house to save wear and tear on hinges.
edvest

Post by edvest »

Brown bagging lunch. It's awesome and i feel good afterwards!
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

Amen to that.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Harvested of seeds from my annuals. I give them out during the winter to friends and family.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

Biked to work!
Speckles

Post by Speckles »

Humm ... ate from the garden, then dug the carrots and potatoes for winter. Yum.

The bean seeds are drying for next year’s planting. I count the veggie garden as my second job.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Yesterday, DW and I went to the National Zoo - no admission charge

Instead of driving and paying $25 to park - took bus and subway from our home - with Senior discount - only cost about $10.00 total for both of us.
RDHUSA

Post by RDHUSA »

I winterized my RV with 2 jugs of RV anti-freeze for less than $5. The local RV dealer charges $140 for the service.
Life is good.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

RDHUSA wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:06 am I winterized my RV with 2 jugs of RV anti-freeze for less than $5. The local RV dealer charges $140 for the service.
I blew my RV water lines out with compressed air instead, though I did use a cup or two of antifreeze for the sink trap. I have a little pancake air compressor, one of my better purchases.
birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood »

I change my 24" strip of floss weekly, but could probably get 10 days if I put my mind to it.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Replaced lightbulbs with very low wattage LED bulbs.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Blew out my sprinkler system a few hours before a forecast winter storm. Used a larger (CL find) 240v air compressor as the former HF pancake compressor didn't really supply enough air. Larger compressor means it can do the job unattended---no need to switch air off/on to rebuild pressure.

While compressor is portable, 240v connection means it must live in shop. So made adapters to use my water hose to extend my air line to reach vacuum breaker blowout fitting. Love it when something does double-duty.

Set sprinkler controller to run 5-minutes/zone and went for a neighborhood bike ride while it and compressor did their things and both shut off afterwards. Love it when a plan comes together.

Replaced whole-house attic-fan timer. Ordered an 8hr electronic* attic fan timer, 2-speed switch, and wall plate from HD (~$35), instead of ~$75 kit from QuietCool, to replace flaky (sometimes would not shut off) mechanical Dayton timer that came with house. Installed both and saved electrician's $85/half-hour fee. (* First tried a new mechanical timer but it was also flaky, so decided to try electronic; so far, so good. Have used similar electronic bath vent timer for several years with good results. Easier to order locally and test/return parts, then to mess with Internet returns.)

QuietCool kit currently unavailable on Amazon, but suggested replacement parts allow you to build your own for less. Remember to use forum referral link before ordering.

https://www.amazon.com/KIT-2-Control-Sp ... B07CFKSRY3

Last edited by dratkinson on Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
kacang

Post by kacang »

Cleaned up the yard and made a fall wreath from the prunings. If I swap out the hydrangeas for pine cones, the wreath can be re-used for Christmas decoration and composted after the holiday season.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Well our wall oven died a couple weeks ago and I had to decide whether to repair or replace. 12 years old. Turns out wall ovens are a way to separate well off (or dumb) people from their money. Why should something that has significantly less components and capability cost more - comparing regular range to wall oven. So service call was going to be expensive just to look at it - have to send two guys to get it out of wall to start. And maybe two calls if it needs parts they don't have. Looked at a couple of display models and was thinking that I would go that way. Instead, decided to pull it out of the wall and deliver it to repair place. They had it for a week, had to order a new control board - sometimes I long for the days of analog controls. So just went and picked it up today and reinstalled it. Works fine and hopefully will last. Still cost $400 but a big savings over having the service guys come to the house or buying a new unit.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
RDHUSA

Post by RDHUSA »

Post by 6miths » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Well our wall oven died a couple weeks ago and I had to decide whether to repair or replace. 12 years old. Turns out wall ovens are a way to separate well off (or dumb) people from their money. Why should something that has significantly less components and capability cost more - comparing regular range to wall oven. So service call was going to be expensive just to look at it - have to send two guys to get it out of wall to start. And maybe two calls if it needs parts they don't have. Looked at a couple of display models and was thinking that I would go that way. Instead, decided to pull it out of the wall and deliver it to repair place. They had it for a week, had to order a new control board - sometimes I long for the days of analog controls. So just went and picked it up today and reinstalled it. Works fine and hopefully will last. Still cost $400 but a big savings over having the service guys come to the house or buying a new unit.
You just inspired me. Our wall oven control panel/touchpad had several numbers stop working and we were deciding whether to call a repair service or start looking for a new oven. After reading your post, I copied the model number and entered it into google. Found an OEM replacement control panel/touchpad for $189 w/shipping and it will arrive in two days. I also found easy to follow installation instructions online - about a 15-30 minute task (in theory!).
Thanks for the inspiration 6miths!
Life is good.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Ah sweet RDHUSA. That is even better than my solution. Sadly I couldn't find my control board anywhere direct.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

I sometimes wear older clothing that might have some tears in it around the apartment, especially if I'm cleaning, exercising at home or lounging around. I pretty much hate clothes shopping from having had a Mom who loved to go shopping each weekend, dragging me along as a kid. I'd hit the toy department or elsewhere, but still have to wait until she was finished buying and trying on clothes. Since I don't wear out new clothes as much by wearing the older ones a lot of the time, I don't have to buy new clothes too often, except maybe for at work or going out. I can sew some tears, like at the seams, myself many times on my newer clothes should they tear, or get them repaired at the dry cleaners. Plus I try to avoid buying clothes that have to be dry cleaned, which also cuts down on cleaning expenses. Clothes they get really worn out and torn can become rags for dusting and washing windows, etc.
jb1

Post by jb1 »

Nice to see people cutting their own hair here. I’ve been doing mine since I was 23. (29 now). To be honest I get a lot of compliments and it looks great
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I regreased the axle hubs on my boat trailer. I don't know how much I saved because I've never paid to have it done. It took me about as long as it would have taken to drive it to the mechanic.
olliema

Post by olliema »

Kennedy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:04 pm
olliema wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am ....
5. converted an old B&N gift card I would never use at Target to buy tax software and deodorant, saving $32
How do you convert a gift card for Barnes and Noble at Target?
Go to the electronics dept and they have a way of doing it. 99% chance the employee will be doing it for the 1st time. Both times they were able to get thru the process with some guidance. Here's the website: https://targettrade-in.com/Online/Home/ ... gram.rails
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

This morning I asked for extra sugar packets where I get my coffee.

Then I took them home and used them on my corn flakes.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

This actually happened yesterday (Sunday)... But nevertheless.

Last night, we went to a restaurant on a friend's recommendation. Everything on the menu looked can feed 2 to 3 adults. Neither of us was super hungry so we looked at sharing a meal. But then the maître D announced that there would be a $17 surcharge for meal sharing. That is about 1/3 of the cost of an entree. We quickly decided we'd take it to-go. I got to have a nice dinner on my comfy sofa with my shoes off. Win-Win.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

OTOH, here is an un-frugal thing that I did.

I am a recreational jogger, meaning 3 times a week, 3 miles each time. I often see fellow joggers in these nice UA or Nike wicking shirts and wondered if they might actually add wings to my back in a hot summer day. I finally gave in and bought one. The shirt has gazillion labels attached illustrating how the titanium technology would "guide" away the moisture and yada yada.

To my utterly disappointment, the shirt is hardly breathable and sticks to my body through out the whole run. I had to keeping pull it down so that it does not rise up. Hi-tech or not, it is not for me. Wasted $45 on a nice fantasy.

Back to the cut-off T-shirts.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Faith20879 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:58 pm OTOH, here is an un-frugal thing that I did.

I am a recreational jogger, meaning 3 times a week, 3 miles each time. I often see fellow joggers in these nice UA or Nike wicking shirts and wondered if they might actually add wings to my back in a hot summer day. I finally gave in and bought one. The shirt has gazillion labels attached illustrating how the titanium technology would "guide" away the moisture and yada yada.

To my utterly disappointment, the shirt is hardly breathable and sticks to my body through out the whole run. I had to keeping pull it down so that it does not rise up. Hi-tech or not, it is not for me. Wasted $45 on a nice fantasy.

I hate "wicking" shirts. Never had one that "performed" as well as a regular cotton t-shirt, and I've had dozens.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:04 pm
Faith20879 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:58 pm OTOH, here is an un-frugal thing that I did.

I hate "wicking" shirts. Never had one that "performed" as well as a regular cotton t-shirt, and I've had dozens.
I love them, but only buy the store brand varieties. Not all the fabric varieties are created equal, though. There are plenty of different styles of "weaving".
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Faith20879 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:31 pm This actually happened yesterday (Sunday)... But nevertheless.
Last night, we went to a restaurant on a friend's recommendation. Everything on the menu looked can feed 2 to 3 adults. Neither of us was super hungry so we looked at sharing a meal. But then the maître D announced that there would be a $17 surcharge for meal sharing. That is about 1/3 of the cost of an entree. We quickly decided we'd take it to-go. I got to have a nice dinner on my comfy sofa with my shoes off. Win-Win.
:happy :happy
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Early this spring I transplanted a tulip poplar tree and a spice bush from my woods. Despite the heat they thrived. Today I made tree guards out of old hardware cloth rather than buy them. If its a really cold winter, some critter will otherwise be tempted to nibble on them.
njuser

Post by njuser »

Take it back and tell them how horrible it was. You'll probably get refunded.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

I am currently drying out my basil plants so I have seeds for next year.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

I am currently drying out my basil plants so I have seeds for next year.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Sat on my hands while DW bought a new vehicle :happy
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Went to a local garage with grandpa basement style wood paneled walls, ate all the free chocolates I could in the waiting area, and got my tire plugged/patched for $14.85.

And I made 2% back from my CC purchase.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.