What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DrGoogle2017

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:10 am

3 hours of gardening yesterday, free exercise. I also dumped out one of my worm bins, free compost and fertilizer. Picked up free garlic and thymes for my roasted lamb. Picked up lots of blackberries and blueberries, all went well with ice cream for dessert. All free for my Easter Sunday. That’s pretty frugal day.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:56 pm

We bought a manual tree loper from Lowes for $39.95, it’s pretty simple to use, my husband and I have been cutting the hedge in the back, very tall hedge that went over to our side, it belongs to the neighbor, so we saved about $150. It’s good to work upper arm muscles.

jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:32 pm

I did not spend $1

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:56 pm
We bought a manual tree loper from Lowes for $39.95, it’s pretty simple to use, my husband and I have been cutting the hedge in the back, very tall hedge that went over to our side, it belongs to the neighbor, so we saved about $150. It’s good to work upper arm muscles.
Our County Library has a tools lending program - much better than buying such tools myself :)

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Our County Library has a tools lending program - much better than buying such tools myself :)
Good for you. We don’t have it here. The only place we can rent is Home Depot. I have a lot of tools under the sun. That’s where I spend my RMDs, lol.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:14 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 am
dm200 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Good for you. We don’t have it here. The only place we can rent is Home Depot. I have a lot of tools under the sun. That’s where I spend my RMDs, lol.
Yes - I regularly borrow a tree trimmer (with saw and lopper at the end of a long pole) to keep our maple tree under control.

Cody6136

Post by Cody6136 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:18 pm

I made it clear to a financial advisor that I would not be needing his help.

I also rolled over an IRA into a better choice for me!

Put in a solid 9 at the day job.

Whew!

I was so damned busy I had no time to spend any money!!

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 pm

My To-Do list has been getting longer with added projects.
--I need a firewood carrier.
--I need to repair my old sewing machine (bad wiring).
--I need a "hot" outlet on my router table so I can have a close light that is always "On".
--I need to fix my shredder (it quit working).

Problem. My fireplace uses long logs and an armload can be difficult to schlep, so decided to make a firewood carrier from a pair of old jeans.

Plan for firewood carrier: Cut off jeans legs, sew legs' waist ends together, fashion a handle on each leg foot end.

Broke out my old portable sewing machine. (An electric Webster, ~1920s design, Japanese-made, maybe made post WWII, in a portable case with a faded/darkened US Army Air Corp "Customs" form dated 1957 glued to side of case. Bought from a thrift store in the '70s. Would be interesting to know it's history.)

Looks similar to machine pictured in posts #8 and #9 here: https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-a ... 65949.html

Problem. Sewing machine wiring is now so old the insulation is cracked, bare wires visible in spots. What to do?

Solution. Bought ACE 12' light weight extension cord (~$5).
--Used plug and 7' of extension cord to replace sewing machine power cord.
--Used 4' 6" of extension cord to replace cord to motor speed controller.

Second problem, from my "to-do" list. Wanted to add a "hot" outlet to my router table switch, so I could add a lamp to router table that was always "On".
--Used remaining 6" of extension cord and outlet to add "hot" outlet to my router table switch.

Cost. Zip/lamp cord at ACE is ~$1/foot, so I saved at least $7 (=12-5). Plus I didn't have to buy a new plug for the sewing machine, or a new outlet for my router table, because those pieces came with the extension cord.

Problem. Sewing machine screeched when I tried to run it fast after rewiring it. Learned this was probably due to lack of oil.

Solution. Used YouTube to learn how to clean and oil an old sewing machine. Everything now working fine.

Saved the cost of taking it in for servicing.

Firewood carrier. Built it. Will need to wait until next winter to test it more.

Saved the cost of buying a firewood carrier.

Problem. My little Fellows Shredmate (paper shredder, ~$30, 10yrs ago) quite working.

Solution. Opened bottom and found plastic actuator had deformed slightly so no longer hitting thin metal arm of the limit switch that turned it on when paper is inserted. Bend metal arm to realign with plastic actuator.

Saved the cost of buying a new shredder.

These kept me off the streets and out of trouble for a few days.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 pm

In the morning, I played 1.5 hours of pickleball, got to socialize with the rich, old, healthy folks of our area for free.
Then in the afternoon, I spent 3 hours painting in my art class, got to socialize with the poor, young, healthy kids in our area for free.
Best yet, I left my husband 3 hours by himself so he could do the sprinkler for my new container, he got to walk the neighborhood for free. Also 3 hours to restore sanity for him, a joke I often made to my art teacher. Frugal way to spend a day even in the day when the market went up.
To cap it off, in the evening, we got to listen to an orchestra on YouTube played the music from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. A wonderful frugal day.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat May 04, 2019 10:39 am

Today I cleaned my refrigerator coils. I pulled the fridge away from the wall and cleaned off the thick layer of lint over the back grill, then I removed that grill and using a brush attachment I vacuumed off the coils behind the grill after removing the screws to gain access. Then I reassembled the grill and returned the fridge back to its original position.

Your refrigerator is one of the biggest users of electricity in your house, your electric range and AC being the others. You never think to clean the coils because they’re hidden either at the rear or underneath your refrigerator, so you don’t see them. Cleaning the coils will improve the efficiency of your unit. You should clean them at least annually or more often if you have pets.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:47 am

I am whittling down the beer DW purchased on BOGO at Publix. Half-priced beer just seems to taste better. :beer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Sat May 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Switched from Verizon to Google Voice with Red Pocket.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:35 pm

Short term expense - long term "frugal"

Replacing timing belt and water pump on our 1998 Toyota Camry - that has under 90,000 miles and still has the original.

Will pay "in cash" to avoid the 2.5% card fee from the local shop.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed May 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Bought a $100 gift card from my barber which comes with a $25 bonus gift card, so my haircuts will now be effectively 25% off for awhile. Also clipped a $2 coupon from the same place. And I only get my hair cut on Tuesdays when the price is always $2 off. And no, I won’t consider cutting my own hair!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:44 pm
Bought a $100 gift card from my barber which comes with a $25 bonus gift card, so my haircuts will now be effectively 25% off for awhile. Also clipped a $2 coupon from the same place. And I only get my hair cut on Tuesdays when the price is always $2 off. And no, I won’t consider cutting my own hair!
I will not shave my head, as some of my male acquaintances have done. That seems to be a low cost, very efficient way of eliminating haircuts!

I do have a full head of hair, with very little gray - well into my 70's. I also have a large, somewhat mis-sharpen head. I am sure, therefore, that I would not look good at all with my head shaved.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed May 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Nicolas wrote:
If a $100 gift certificate comes with a $25 bonus, that's 20%. Still nice, but not 25%

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed May 15, 2019 4:37 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:08 pm
Nicolas wrote:
If a $100 gift certificate comes with a $25 bonus, that's 20%. Still nice, but not 25%
Yes I knew I was a bit off but too lazy to state it exactly.

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Bought dinner at the Safeway deli instead of going to a restaurant. We are traveling.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 pm

goldendad wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 pm
Bought dinner at the Safeway deli instead of going to a restaurant. We are traveling.
Took my wife to a supermarket meal. She was beyond livid.

livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 pm

I added several dresses to online department store shopping cart a couple of days ago.
I did not check out. I want to wait to see if the desire will go away.
It did. I emptied the dresses from the cart today.

I researched to DIY a pathway with porcelain tile on my lawn tonight. It will be fun and rewarding project.
Still thinking if I should invest a couple of fruit trees in backyard.

It is bagels day in my workplace. I had a bagel with cream cheese. (I had free lunch in my workplace yesterday.)
Tomorrow is fruit day in my workplace. I will have a couple of oranges and skip bananas and apples.

Let it FIRE.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu May 16, 2019 12:28 pm

livelovelaugh00 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 pm
I added several dresses to online department store shopping cart a couple of days ago.

Let it FIRE.
I have a version of this. Every time I want to buy something, I take a screenshot of it and put it in a folder on my computer. I tell myself if I really like it I will come back to it / remember it. 90% of the time I don't. Over the years, there are hundreds of items in this folder - hundreds that I ended up NOT buying. But the best part of it is that the stuff I do have ends up being curated - you end up living a simpler life but one filled with things that actually do bring you joy and comfort.

Elena

Post by Elena » Thu May 16, 2019 1:00 pm

livelovelaugh00 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 pm
Let it FIRE.
LOL, a friend and I call that the "repentment section" at Ikea. It is by the cashiers. People will leave there whatever has worn off desire-wise. I do the same as you for online purchases. The problem is, stores have taken note of the behavior and now send discount coupons to entice one to purchase what is in the cart. I use it to my advantage: when I really want to purchase something for sure, I will leave it in the cart for a few days and wait for the coupon!

tfunk

Post by tfunk » Thu May 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Based on a post here on Bogleheads, I found out T-Mobile has a new plan offering a discount to those over 55. Called yesterday and switched to this plan and now save $20 per month. Thanks Bogleheads! :D Also, the new plan has unlimited LTE data vs our old plan with 7GB/month. All other benefits of our plan remain in place.

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Thu May 16, 2019 7:25 pm

This week I have stayed at a Hyatt House paid for with Chase points I earned through opening credit cards.

Hyatt House provides all meals.

I teleworked from here today.

I gave up my lease and am using extended hotel stays until I retire & leave the area.

I think except for 1/365th of my insurance costs, today might just be considered a free day. No expenses at all - oh wait, a small portion of toiletries and vitamins.

Moneta

Post by Moneta » Fri May 17, 2019 2:30 pm

I've been working out for the past year at a CrossFit gym (no, that is not frugal, I know...) that includes both weightlifting and running.

I had weightlifting shoes in my size, received free from a "Buy Nothing" group member in my area who didn't want them anymore. So I have been using my weightlifting shoes for all the workouts for the past year.

Several times, the gym owner has approached me to suggest that I should really have a pair of "all around" CrossFit shoes that would support running as well as weightlifting. They were on my list to get a few months back, but then we had another expense come up so I didn't make the $100+ purchase.

Yesterday during the workout, the gym owner approached me again and said that before running a mile in the shoes I was wearing, I should look through the bin of "abandoned" shoes. I found a pair of CrossFit shoes in my size, probably original retail $120 or so, and he said I could keep them!

So hooray, two pairs of free fancy shoes for me!

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Mon May 20, 2019 12:41 am

Volunteered at a local charity event and got free food in exchange. Yay!

Also, trimmed my head hair by myself which saved me another $25.

Bedraggled

Post by Bedraggled » Mon May 20, 2019 10:05 pm

I have a 7 year old rain resistant padded coat that needs a replacement zipper. I would hate to spend money on a new coat. I understand zipper replacements can be expensive- maybe $40. To complicate this, the zipper has a water resistant feature, maybe a plastic coating. Is it time to replace this raincoat? The coat is still nice.

I like to keep stuff- witness my 1991 Honda Accord with 350,000 miles that I will keep at least 5 more years.

Thanks.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 pm

Was thinking about a new toolbox for power tool storage and then found TWO! ETHAN ALLEN bookcases at the curb in the neighborhood. Looks like this bookcase but in oak.

Power tools will be living like kings.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:09 am

Got The Bogleheads Guide from the local library and enjoy the read so far. Didn’t rent out a book in ages but feels good to do so.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable. I removed a post which saved money by not paying for a meal.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:59 am

We spent $15 and took the 3-hour ferry ride from Ocracoke Island NC to Swan Quarter and saved 3 hours of congested driving and 3 hours of gas. That amounts to about 10 gallons in my 4Runner when it's loaded down with a week's worth of vacation stuff including surf fishing gear and all the stuff my wife bought. Okay, I bought some t-shirts too. :beer

I'm not sure if this qualifies as purely frugal or just lazy.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:45 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:18 pm
Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable. I removed a post which saved money by not paying for a meal.
A bad joke in poor taste. My apologies to the moderator and the participants of the thread.

On a true note, today I bought my Cumberland Farms large coffee for $1.05. The best coffee ever. I have sworn off the $2.10 large coffee at Dunkin' Donuts, which is ridiculously overpriced, and an inferior product when compared to the Cumberland Farms brand.

I buy one a day, which is a $383.25 annual savings. I know I can make it at home for less, but it's just not the same to me and a daily $1.05 coffee is one of my guilty pleasures.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:34 pm

I regularly eat at Silver Diner https://www.silverdiner.com/ . Last month, on one visit, it took a relatively long time for my order to be served. I did not complain, but the waiter/server did - and he told the manager - and the manager apologized - and gave me a card for a future free meal :) In addition, when I asked for the check for that meal, the server/waiter told me it was also free.

devdude

Post by devdude » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:50 pm

-Packed a lunch to work.
-Filled about 20 used, plastic, disposable water bottles with water from my own filtration system.
-Will mow my lawn later
The Dude Abides by Simplicity

Cody6136

Post by Cody6136 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:58 pm

Replaced the overdue book from the library myself. Had I allowed the library to do this, it would have cost well over $29. Went on Amazon, bought for $5.25 and will get it to the library later this week. They were okay with this, and renewed it until I can deliver. No fines.

I have turned my house upside down looking for that "lost" book. Oh well. At least I was frugal while solving the problem.

Godot

Post by Godot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:33 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:34 pm
I regularly eat at Silver Diner https://www.silverdiner.com/. Last month, on one visit, it took a relatively long time for my order to be served. I did not complain, but the waiter/server did - and he told the manager - and the manager apologized - and gave me a card for a future free meal :) In addition, when I asked for the check for that meal, the server/waiter told me it was also free.
Meh, not really anything frugal you did; rather, an accidental gift.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Paid $200 more for a nonstop roundtrip plane ticket so that I would not spend an extra 8 hours in transport and have the potential for extra delays. :happy

Old_Dollar

Post by Old_Dollar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:56 pm

I wanted to go out for dinner. Made dinner at home instead.
I am here solely to learn about investing.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:51 pm

tooluser wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:46 pm
Paid $200 more for a nonstop roundtrip plane ticket so that I would not spend an extra 8 hours in transport and have the potential for extra delays. :happy
Anti-frugal?

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Tonight, I bought a $250 dollar bike for $60, for my soon-to-be 4 year old son. It is in great slightly used shape!

AtlBoglehead

Post by AtlBoglehead » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 pm

Today I cut open a tube of prescription cream and, risking slicing my finger badly, reached inside to get the remaining cream that couldn't be pressed out. My finger is still intact, so I'll go back in it tomorrow to get the rest before going on to the new tube.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Drove 28 miles with my bike today instead of using the car.

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 am

tooluser wrote:
Smart move. Obviously you value your time. $200 is a small price to pay for more time vacationing and less time in airports!
8-)
Performance = Potential - Distraction

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 am

dpc wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:47 pm
I didn't buy a new car today (again).

Excellent :sharebeer LOL
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:51 am

Called the lease company and they will pic up my leased car this upcoming Wednesday. Will not have a car, insurance or gas payment in the upcoming month. I feel kind of free.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:51 pm

On Friday I shopped around for condo insurance. As a result we will save $259 annually off of our premium. Feeling happy. 8-) 8-)

KenBen40

Post by KenBen40 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 am

Ate home-cooked meal for lunch :-)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:08 pm

Got a Cashiers check today at zero cost - because of a discount offered by a credit union. The normal charge is $5.00.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:09 pm

My wife paid our annual $90.00 annual fee for Senior Community Gym membership in cash - to avoid the 2.5% fee for using a card.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:13 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:51 pm
tooluser wrote:
Anti-frugal?
+1. Would be interesting to know the percentage increase.