What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Van

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Van » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:05 pm

I did not bet on the Eagles to beat the Cowboys.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:03 pm

For lunch, the whole family went out and got in-n-out burgers except me. I came home and made a salad with leftover chicken from two nights ago. I did go get a $1.25 fish taco for snack.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

luminous

Post by luminous » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 am

We went to the city science center this weekend because it was a free day for people living in our neighborhood. We packed our lunches because the cafe at the center is overpriced. We found free street parking rather than pay for garage parking. So we got a whole day outing for $0.
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2022.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 am

luminous wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 am
We went to the city science center this weekend because it was a free day for people living in our neighborhood. We packed our lunches because the cafe at the center is overpriced. We found free street parking rather than pay for garage parking. So we got a whole day outing for $0.
Yes - it is common for many attractions that normally have a fee - from time to time offer free admission.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:53 pm

kcannon1 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:34 am
My good woman cancelled our cable this past Friday. I had been lobbying for probably two years for it but kinda gave up on it. When I got home from work she was on the phone with them concluding our business with them. It was a surprise but I am thoroughly pleased. Over 200 bucks a month in savings. So obviously I took her to dinner and told her how amazing she is for saving us this amount of money per month.

I am new to the board and happy to have this as my first post.
Congrats! We cancelled ours 2 yrs ago. We have "rabbit ears", get dozens of channels, Amazon Firestick. Don't miss it.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Reduced our AT&T cell phone bill by changing from a 10G plan to 3G. We were barely using 2G a month. If this does not reduce the bill enough, plan to go to Costco T Mobile for Seniors plan.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:15 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:26 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:21 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:02 pm
I used a heavy rain to wash my car.

Victoria
I did not know that you have a car in DC.
I am in Arlington, and my apartment building has an open parking lot. My 1997 Honda Civic is not spoiled by commercial car washes and is happy when I give her a hand rub.

Victoria
'97 Honda Civic! Is the color green?
Depending on how long it's not washed, it takes different colors.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Sunday evening - got half price - all you can eat Ruby Tuesday salad bar $4.99 plus tax & tip :happy

This afternoon - in about 30 minutes - Ruby Tuesday all you can eat salad bar $4.99 plus tax and tip :happy

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Returned a $65 cardigan that didn’t fit my wife properly. Drove 6 miles each way to the store to do it.

victw

Post by victw » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:50 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 am

Right now the ARCO (a brand famous for being cash only) in my neighborhood has premium at $4.33 while the Shell across the street has it priced at $4.49. The Shell with Costco Visa wins by two cents per gallon, nothing to get excited about.
ARCO vs. Shell. That debate consumes my waking hours. I can get an ARCO card at the supermarket and get 6 percent off with my Amex preferred; or I can try and accumulate supermarket points that alleviate some of the pain of going to a costly Shell station, where I can at least use a c/c.
:oops: Wow. I've been trying to meet some CC minimums for points. Never occurred to me that I could get gift cards for ARCO. I assume this also avoid the 35 cent fee.

Vic

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:12 pm

At the Bogleheads 2019 Reunion, I earned $5 from Allan Roth. I considered it a "frugal thing to do." Some called it extortion.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:29 pm

victw wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm

:oops: Wow. I've been trying to meet some CC minimums for points. Never occurred to me that I could get gift cards for ARCO. I assume this also avoid the 35 cent fee.

Vic
The 35 cent debit card fee at the pump? Yes, correct. I've noticed some of my Ralphs have ARCO cards and some don't. There's always See's Candies cards!

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 pm

novemberrain wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:02 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Of course Costco has it at $3.97 post CC rebate, but this would be an incremental 18 mile drive from my house, which defeats the purpose.

No free lunch.
+1. Yes, it is unfortunate that costco has some of the lowest gas prices, but the time wasted at the looong lines at the costco pump negate any benefit.
I live near two Costcos. One has two pumps in each gas line, and the supervision is lame (people take cuts and drive dangerously and the attendant shrugs his shoulders and says, "I can't do anything about that.")

The other has three pumps per line, and once when a guy quite unsafely drove around me to take cuts and I told the attendant, the attendant made that guy get out of the line and go to the back. People respect the line there, because I think they know they will get in trouble.

It's kind of like the difference between a well-run classroom where the teacher is in charge and students take turns in an orderly manner, and a classroom with an ineffective teacher and a lot of chaos.

Fortunately I can combine my trip to Costco with buying gas, so I rarely use another gas station.

CurledMoss

Post by CurledMoss » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Dumpster diving at work and found a nice glassware pan. From police evidence locker i guess. Cooked chicken on it tonight.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 pm
novemberrain wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Of course Costco has it at $3.97 post CC rebate, but this would be an incremental 18 mile drive from my house, which defeats the purpose.

No free lunch.
+1. Yes, it is unfortunate that costco has some of the lowest gas prices, but the time wasted at the looong lines at the costco pump negate any benefit.
I live near two Costcos. One has two pumps in each gas line, and the supervision is lame (people take cuts and drive dangerously and the attendant shrugs his shoulders and says, "I can't do anything about that.")

The other has three pumps per line, and once when a guy quite unsafely drove around me to take cuts and I told the attendant, the attendant made that guy get out of the line and go to the back. People respect the line there, because I think they know they will get in trouble.

It's kind of like the difference between a well-run classroom where the teacher is in charge and students take turns in an orderly manner, and a classroom with an ineffective teacher and a lot of chaos.

Fortunately I can combine my trip to Costco with buying gas, so I rarely use another gas station.
We used to go to Costco till a year back as well, but use instacart now for Costco and all other grocery stores . Saves several hundred dollars per month in terms of dollar value of time.

But that being said, I hate to say , I disagree with what you said regarding the lines. There are 2 gas pumps as you said. When people are waiting in line, it is highly inefficient for 1 pump to be idle. If I am the second person in line and a spot opens up at the second slot; I give the person ahead of me a few second to go ahead and take that spot. If that person doesn't take it, I drive very slowly to the free pump. There is no way it is dangerous driving. I drive at like 3 miles per hour when I do that.
Many times, I even finish pumping gas and drive out of the station before the other person even gets to his pump at the first position.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:42 am

novemberrain wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 pm
LilyFleur wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 pm
novemberrain wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:

No free lunch.

We used to go to Costco till a year back as well, but use instacart now for Costco and all other grocery stores . Saves several hundred dollars per month in terms of dollar value of time.

But that being said, I hate to say , I disagree with what you said regarding the lines. There are 2 gas pumps as you said. When people are waiting in line, it is highly inefficient for 1 pump to be idle. If I am the second person in line and a spot opens up at the second slot; I give the person ahead of me a few second to go ahead and take that spot. If that person doesn't take it, I drive very slowly to the free pump. There is no way it is dangerous driving. I drive at like 3 miles per hour when I do that.
Many times, I even finish pumping gas and drive out of the station before the other person even gets to his pump at the first position.
I wouldn't consider your driving to be unsafe. If I don't think I can maneuver my sedan into the second position, I won't. And I don't mind if someone else can.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:20 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:33 pm
However the real savings is in the time we no longer spend mindlessly listening to the Weather Channel or CNN.
You can mindlessly listen (and watch) to CNN and Weather Channel (almost it's Weather Nation) for FREE on Pluto.tv

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:28 am

FamilyMan wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:29 pm
MandyT wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm
A Broadway singer I like came to my city to do two shows (Wednesday and Thursday night this week) in a jazz venue. Tickets were $50, and these kinds of shows usually run about 75 minutes. I couldn't quite make myself pull the trigger for $50, so I called the box office to see if they had any discounts. I wasn't eligible for student or military/fire/police discounts. Right after I said "Thanks anyway" and was about to hang up, they mentioned that the performance would be streamed into a lounge next door, so I decided to try that on Wednesday night.

I ordered an alcoholic drink and a soft drink ($11 plus $2 tip) because I thought it would be tacky not to order anything, though 3 or 4 people did that. It's not exactly the same as live, and there were people talking (one of the purposes of the lounge is so people can take phone calls/have conversations without disturbing others in the main room), but the video and sound were very good and I got probably 75-80% of the experience and saved myself from FOMO. Parking was free, so it was an enjoyable and inexpensive night out.
I do something similar but actually go to the show. I’ve noticed that tickets for live shows are 50-70% off the day of the show. So I spend the early afternoon before the show on stubhub watching the ticket prices plummet as people are just trying to get rid of tickets before dinner/tailgating. Plus I avoid paying the “convenience fee” that all these tickets come with now a day. It makes enjoying the show even better!

A word of caution is that it’s hard to do this with a very popular band (ie Taylor Swift, Rolling Stones) or a show you have to see. Give it a try!

If it’s not a show I “really” want to see amd it’s a “meh” show, I just don’t go. Saves me even more than a discounted ticket.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:38 am

I rejuvenated the wiper blades on my car by 1) cleaning with rubbing alcohol 2) rubbing it with a small piece of fine sandpaper folded in half 3) cleaning again with rubbing alcohol. It works great.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:26 am

GeMoney wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:38 am
I rejuvenated the wiper blades on my car by 1) cleaning with rubbing alcohol 2) rubbing it with a small piece of fine sandpaper folded in half 3) cleaning again with rubbing alcohol. It works great.
Thanks.

Never knew about this!!

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:39 am

Replaced the control panel (circuit board) on our eight year old microwave. The lights where the clock, timer, settings, etc, had gone haywire, but the oven worked fine. It was a $100 part, but that beat spending $400 or more on a new one that two people have to install.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:04 am

I bought gas near the airport on the east end of town and got BP gas for 7 cents/gal less than Costco. Citgo was 5 cents less and Valero was 3 cents less. Lots of choices. Of course I wouldn't go to Costco anyway because Costco is on the west side of town and I'd have to drive 30 minutes just to get there and then wait in line.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:44 am

One zone in our radiant floor heat wasn't coming on. So, I diagnosed the problem, watched a lot of youtube videos, and ultimately replaced the failed powerhead on one of the zone valves. It's amazing how many home and car repairs are accessible to almost anyone with time to do some learning. Youtube is an amazing resource for that. Probably saved at least $200 that I didn't pay to a plumber.

Also used the compressor I bought last year to blow out the drip irrigation system. Typical service call around here is $100 for that.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Shopped my car insurance with several companies and found that my current company is very competitive

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:49 pm

Caught a stray, fast rolling shopping cart just before it went into traffic, saving at least one driver possibly several hundred dollars in repairs. It was not my cart, it just came whizzing by from out of nowhere.

If I hadn't caught it I would probably have been blamed for the damage. :x So I probably saved myself some time and aggravation as well.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:52 am

andypanda wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:04 am
I bought gas near the airport on the east end of town and got BP gas for 7 cents/gal less than Costco. Citgo was 5 cents less and Valero was 3 cents less. Lots of choices. Of course I wouldn't go to Costco anyway because Costco is on the west side of town and I'd have to drive 30 minutes just to get there and then wait in line.
My wife does a lot of price comparison for gasoline - and often used the grocery store credits to get 10 cents a gallon off at Shell. Because of the 4% Costco Citicard credit for gasoline - we both use that card to purchase gasoline. We are not near a Costco that has gasoline.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:13 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:20 pm
Returned a $65 cardigan that didn’t fit my wife properly. Drove 6 miles each way to the store to do it.
What's a "cardigan"? :D

On Saturday, I changed the oil and lower case fluid on my boat, and emptied the gas tank. All set for winter. Net savings of probably a few hundred as compared to boat dealers / marinas.

Applied "winter cover", i.e. old bed sheets since it sits in a garage.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 am

With help from reddit/r/appliancerepair and youtube I fixed my own washing machine (needed a new transmission and clutch) and repiped and replaced the valves going to the WM myself. I wasn't planning on doing it but the old hot shutoff valve form the WM starting leaking from the handle and teflon packing rope didn't stop it (must have been too corroded). Took all evening and I had to run to Walmart at 10:30pm for more propane for my soldering torch.

Total $70 and 2 hours for the WM repair
$60 and 4 hours for the plumbing repairs.

Clarice

Post by Clarice » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:26 pm

I flew Allegiant Air which charges for all bags, checked or carry-on.

Therefore, I wore several layers of clothes during the flight for my three day stay in Knoxville.

njuser

Post by njuser » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:06 am

I wonder what percentage of these posts are true. Some are really good.

CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:10 pm

My dining room chairs made of nice cherry wood have attached seat cushions which are dirty (and hard to wash -- I tried) and also slightly damaged. Instead of replacing the chairs for a couple of hundred dollars or so, I researched and found seat covers, almost the same color as the original cushions, and bought them for $10 for a set of 2 at Bed Bath and Beyond. The covers look nice, are washable, and saved me from buying some new furniture since the chairs are otherwise still sturdy and now look good again.

GiannaLuna

Post by GiannaLuna » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:02 pm

I am a freelance restaurant reviewer in the restaurant industry. I don't get paid, but my meals are reimbursed in exchange for a short review.

Today I treated a friend to delicious seafood meal at no cost (except for a bit of my time) for both of us.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:58 am

After roaming through town to retrieve bags of leaves left for town pickup, I brought the leaves home (frugal action #1) to use as compost browns and once I emptied the leaves into my storage bin, I carefully folded up the paper bags to use again (frugal action #2).
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells