What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SrGrumpy

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by SrGrumpy »

Today I took Ubershare to the airport instead of regular Uber. And because airport fees are baked into the price, I chose a drop-off near the airport and walked the last km. Paid $4.30 instead of about $9.
LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN »

Filled the wood stove with wood a couple of times. Even buying the wood cut and stacked is less costly than public utility heating - and the wood was from logging leftovers, so no endangered trees were damaged.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

This was a couple of months ago, but I spent half a day taking apart a broken $10 wall clock, figuring out how it worked, what was wrong with it, and gluing together the broken gear. Still working today like a charm and makes me smile every time I check the time on it.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Sold a pair of shoes on eBay :shock:
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Finished my last Honey crisp apple I bought from California. It was simply delicious. I had to clean out my fridge before my flight but I didn’t want to throw them away. They are great for snacking. I bought eight small ones and finally went through the last one today. They were declared at arrival, so not illegal. Plus Hawaiian food is so rich, it’s nice to have a simple apple for dessert.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Didn't really do it for frugality measures, but my lunch today was instant oatmeal in a cup with a splash of almond milk, and some Roma tomatoes.I'm totally full.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Hitched a ride on the back of a truck instead of taking a bus.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:58 pm I do not own and do not desire a landline phone. My cell phone service (unlimited voice & text only) costs $2.47/month, probably more frugal than a land line.
May I ask what carrier you are with and what plan you have?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

MrJones wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:29 am
neilpilot wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:58 pm I do not own and do not desire a landline phone. My cell phone service (unlimited voice & text only) costs $2.47/month, probably more frugal than a land line.
May I ask what carrier you are with and what plan you have?
XFINITY mobile, and you need to be a Comcast internet customer. The plan is essentially free voice & text and includes minimal data, and the tax and fees with data under 100M come to under $5.50 for our 2 lines. Additional data is $12/G, but we typically use less than 1G between us. So our monthly bill has consistently been $5.34 and $17.48. My example above was for no data.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

hulburt1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 am I always buy my summer cloths at the end of summer and winter cloths at the end of winter. I always look poor when I go shopping. Sometimes I get a big discount. I went to a restaurant while I was traveling and someone tried to slip me a $5. Said his wife felt sorry for me. When I left I paid there bill.
I've been frugal all my life. That might be the reason I have 2.5m.
This is my favorite!
drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf »

My record for being frugal was extended yesterday. It made 9 years in a row without entering a gym !! At age 70, I stopped Gold Gym membership and haven't looked back. Now it is one day at a time and I play golf 5 days a week with the boys and we even stopped our not so friendly wagering. I guess being frugal happens to many at this time of our life.
Dom
Dee, if you read this our friendly wagering was only 10 cents/day. (whew)
Dominic
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

drdrgolf wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:47 am My record for being frugal was extended yesterday. It made 9 years in a row without entering a gym !! At age 70, I stopped Gold Gym membership and haven't looked back. Now it is one day at a time and I play golf 5 days a week with the boys and we even stopped our not so friendly wagering. I guess being frugal happens to many at this time of our life.
Dom
Dee, if you read this our friendly wagering was only 10 cents/day. (whew)
I'm trying to figure out how a gym membership is not frugal, but 5x/week golf is... :shock:
My husband pays $25/month for his gym membership, and works out 5 days a week. Pretty sure he couldn't play golf once for that price.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 am
hulburt1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 am I always buy my summer cloths at the end of summer and winter cloths at the end of winter. I always look poor when I go shopping. Sometimes I get a big discount. I went to a restaurant while I was traveling and someone tried to slip me a $5. Said his wife felt sorry for me. When I left I paid there bill.
I've been frugal all my life. That might be the reason I have 2.5m.
This is my favorite!
This is almost as bad as the guy who buys books on Amazon and returns them after reading.
Why would anyone want to 'look poor' in public? :confused
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

hulburt1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 am I always look poor when I go shopping.
How do you "look poor" these days without actually being dirty like a homeless person with no place to shower and wash clothes? Do you mean wear a tee shirt and jeans like Mark Zuckerberg? Flashy designer labels on clothes that are either too big or too small? 8-)
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Pajamas wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:21 pm
How do you "look poor" these days without actually being dirty like a homeless person with no place to shower and wash clothes? Do you mean wear a tee shirt and jeans like Mark Zuckerberg? Flashy designer labels on clothes that are either too big or too small? 8-)
My money is on a thick, cheap metal chain worn around the neck. :mrgreen:
Naikansha

Post by Naikansha »

I keep an old pair of wrecked shoes that I wear when I need to buy a car.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

Repaired the neutral safety interlock on my '89 Westfalia. Saved a couple of hundred dollars.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

A few things I did last week that was frugal. I took the bus from Waikiki to the international airport, cost was $3.75 total for my husband and I, much cheaper than Uber or taxi.

I flew first class or business class from HNL to Papeete using my mileage award, frankly I wasn’t sure what I would do with these free miles because flights from LAX to Hawaii are pretty cheap. I looked up, the cost for one way from HNL to PPT first class/business class, one way is $1800+ per person. So I save loads of money, plus it was first and business class, I got to skip the long TSA line. That was the biggest bonus, IMO.

The hotel in Papeete I stayed for the first night, was almost free because I got free nights by booking more than 10 nights at hotels.com.

Third, the hotel was so nice and I slept so well there, I decided to cancel my expensive hotel on Papeete(on the way back) and replaced with this hotel instead. It saves me about $150, plus taxi fare to the airport is slightly cheaper from the replacement hotel.

Got to my hotel in Moorea, and it’s so wonderful, I’m glad I cancelled the expensive hotel(I posted a few weeks back) for this. Great location, near a beautiful beach, and my husband likes the place, very modern decor. Plus I get to listen to French language and French music on TV at night(such a beautiful language), I can’t ask for more, and I’m so glad I made the change. Plus tonight, I had the most delicious meal, the best I had since my vacation. Food here is certainly much better than in Hawaii. Less greasy, more French dessert with Tahiti natural ingredients. I’m in paradise for cheap(ok frugal then).
rosylenm

Post by rosylenm »

Went on a mini-vacation to a place where hotel was 50% off, bought groceries from my local market (instead of their local general store) and had a blast beachcombing and being lazy for three days on the CA coast. Best $500 I’ve spent in a while.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

Might have an easier time saying what I did that was not frugal. My wife in particular leans towards the insanely frugal and could top mostly everything in this thread (all day long), except maybe the laundromat story. But here's what I did this weekend: 1 - Took advantage of a 60 degree day in PA and played golf for $17 (hey, it was $29 to ride). 2- Returned my Verizon cable box. Just cut the cord and now have no cable or landline. Streaming via YoutubeTV and ported landline phone number to Google voice (and forward calls to that number to our cell phones, no Obi box or anything to purchase).

Next up my cell phone bill.
jadd806

Post by jadd806 »

SuperGrafx wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:45 pm Why would anyone want to 'look poor' in public? :confused
Why would anyone care what random strangers in public think about them?
The dirt isn't necessary. Just wear old/worn clothes and don't shave or cut your hair for a few months. At least one hole/patch per item of outerwear is mandatory.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

jadd806 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:22 am
SuperGrafx wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:45 pm Why would anyone want to 'look poor' in public? :confused
Why would anyone care what random strangers in public think about them?
The dirt isn't necessary. Just wear old/worn clothes and don't shave or cut your hair for a few months. At least one hole/patch per item of outerwear is mandatory.
Ha! My daughters pay extra for jeans with rips and holes in them. Seems crazy to me, but it is their decision and their money. Funny thing, when they were children they would have died before they wore an article of clothing with a hole in it, even if nicely patched.

First the clothes makers introduced jeans that were pre-faded, now jeans are full of rips and tears.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

DW and I worked in the garden all day and ate our meals at home....... Didn't even start the car!
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

I don't mind looking maybe not "poor", but at least "not rich".

It's part of my backup Umbrella Liability Policy. :D

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I need to learn to dress better, meaning closer to hulburt, I don’t mind getting a few dollars in tips out of no where. Hey it’s better than picking up pennies.
birdog

Post by birdog »

1210sda wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:52 am I don't mind looking maybe not "poor", but at least "not rich".

It's part of my backup Umbrella Liability Policy. :D

Exactly. Be the gray man. Helps in several areas of life.
ragabnh

Post by ragabnh »

I was very hungry this evening so I ate my 10 year old Sandals, :oops:
Momus

Post by Momus »

Skip the soda at In&Out... Skip soda on a lot of fast food joints, and ask for a cup of water XD
TCB

Post by TCB »

Not today but a couple weeks ago....

Shop Rite had Scott TP 12 packs on sale for $5.99.

PLUS Scott coupon $5 if you spend $25.

PLUS Chase card 10x bonus at Shop Rite til 2/4.

Bought #32-12 packs over several trips.

My son finds it funny that we have 384,000 sheets of TP in the house. Our space is limited, but I'm still kicking myself for not buying more :oops:
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Not just today, but every year. I paid to have my tax return done only once and that was 1972's return. I had done it by hand before then. I found that that one (H&R Block) was very wrong. I had them correct it, and went back to doing them myself....for free.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

ragabnh wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:29 pm I was very hungry this evening so I ate my 10 year old Sandals, :oops:
Ah, Charlie Chaplin ate his shoe in the 1925 movie "Gold Rush". Funny movie Here is the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY0DOnNK3Wg.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

jadd806 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:22 am Why would anyone care what random strangers in public think about them?
Because that tells me someone has taken this frugality thing a bit too far.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Momus wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 am Skip the soda at In&Out... Skip soda on a lot of fast food joints, and ask for a cup of water XD
I do this all the time. I can buy a can of soda (Diet Coke) for around a quarter on sale at the grocery store (in a 12 or 24 pack) and will not pay $1.79-$2.39 (seems to be the going rate) for a soda at a fast food place. I do splurge and get the $1 soda at McDonalds through the drive through sometimes. I can stomach a 4x markup, but not a 8-12x markup.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Cook at home instead eat out.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 amLong for the days of a good physical bookstore
when one could review in the store, meander for hours, then decide to buy.
I worked at a few small, independent bookstores many years ago. One of the biggest problems they faced were customers who would buy books, read them, then return them.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Halicar wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:42 am
Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 amLong for the days of a good physical bookstore
I worked at a few small, independent bookstores many years ago. One of the biggest problems they faced were customers who would buy books, read them, then return them.
I've heard a lot of stories of women buying fancy dresses, wearing them once and then returning them. Then I saw the woman that returned her dead Xmas tree to Costco in January and thought that took the cake. Maybe she is on this board? :shock:
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 am
Halicar wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:42 am
I've heard a lot of stories of women buying fancy dresses, wearing them once and then returning them. Then I saw the woman that returned her dead Xmas tree to Costco in January and thought that took the cake. Maybe she is on this board? :shock:
The store will pass these cost to all of us. Not good.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

I often read the newspapers in the public library. The sunday Times cost 6 $. Really adds a big savings by year end.
CryingHawaiian

Post by CryingHawaiian »

Road my bike to work, same as every non-rainy day. Saves between $12-15 per day or $200-$300 per month compared to paying for parking
You get what you get and you don’t get upset
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

made my own coffee/breakfast, brought my own healthy lunch ... not going out after work ... the usual Monday - Thursday
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Not today per se, but my January expenses were $2159.73. This met my goal of under $2250, but not my stretch goal of under $2000. This does not include health insurance or taxes.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Forced frugal today. I have no cash, not the local currency. I have limit dollars with me. I regret not taking out more when I was at the airport in Papeete. I thought I get more when I get to this Island of Moorea. Well the nearest ATM is broken for 3 weeks. Tonight I’m going to dinner at the local restaurant, cash only. So many wonderful lobster dishes but I have to stick with just fish and poison cru, because I’m afraid to run out of money to pay them if I order something too expensive. They don’t take credit card. The other restaurant that I planned to go also close down for the whole month. That’s the problem with paradise, modern convenience is not here. Maybe that’s why it’s called paradise. Absence of modern convenience.
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

I had a tree fall in my yard. The tree service quoted me $900 to take it down and haul it away.

I went to Menards and bought an electric chain saw for $70. I cut down the tree and chopped it into firewood. Took me 3 hours but I saved $830! I bought 3 shares of SPY!
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

kenoryan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:33 pm I had a tree fall in my yard. The tree service quoted me $900 to take it down and haul it away.

I went to Menards and bought an electric chain saw for $70. I cut down the tree and chopped it into firewood. Took me 3 hours but I saved $830! I bought 3 shares of SPY!
Nicely done! :beer
4strings

Post by 4strings »

I never turn on the Heat or AC in my car regardless of how cold or hot it gets to save on gas. Sometimes I wont even turn on the radio as to conserve battery power and demand/stress on the car.
Dan3141

Post by Dan3141 »

I filled up 400gallons of Diesel in the boat since the price was $0.1 less then yesterday.
Paid for a nice lunch with a nice glass of wine :)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

4strings wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:45 am I never turn on the Heat or AC in my car regardless of how cold or hot it gets to save on gas. Sometimes I wont even turn on the radio as to conserve battery power and demand/stress on the car.
Do you open your windows in the summer to compensate for no AC? Several studies have indicated that open windows may use more fuel than AC on the open road.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

4strings wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:45 am I never turn on the Heat or AC in my car regardless of how cold or hot it gets to save on gas. Sometimes I wont even turn on the radio as to conserve battery power and demand/stress on the car.
Using the car's heater assists the cooling system. Internal combustion engines create a lot of waste heat. Keeping yourself and the passengers warm is a good use for some of the heat which would otherwise be dissipated through the radiator.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

Do you have some sort of algorithm you use to decide on the radio usage?
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:04 am
Do you open your windows in the summer to compensate for no AC? Several studies have indicated that open windows may use more fuel than AC on the open road.
I remember years ago during the "gas crisis" where it was ridiculously expensive. Local driving - windows down. Highway - AC/windows up. i believe it had to do with aerodynamics / wind drag and whatnot.