What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:00 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:07 am
i used the back side of a sheet of paper.
To do what?

Victoria
I drew a sketch of a frog on the back side of a sketch of a tortoise. I think I need to make up my mind on the reptiles vs amphibians question for my next art project.
These days I am partial to tortoises. The theory of evolution has originated in the Galapagos which are full of turtles despite Darwin's HMS Beagle using them for food. And the infinite regression is sometimes expressed as "Turtles all the way down," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down . Escher had some turtles in his Gravitation, but I think infinite turtles deserve further sketching.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

MrJones

Post by MrJones » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:51 pm
Being frugal should extend beyond your personal world. Maybe to resource use. So to take a longer shower purposely at the gym is not frugal at all. Frugal is about money but also about waste of a resource when it is not necessary.
+10

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:46 pm

Reduced todays caloric intake 90%

broslami

Post by broslami » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:49 pm

I sold a bitcoin

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Upgraded to fiber-optic higher-speed internet while cutting monthly bill by eliminating call-out capability (we use cell phones). Will reduce further by eliminating damage coverage once we see if everything works correctly.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:59 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
quantAndHold wrote:
To do what?

Victoria
I drew a sketch of a frog on the back side of a sketch of a tortoise. I think I need to make up my mind on the reptiles vs amphibians question for my next art project.
These days I am partial to tortoises. The theory of evolution has originated in the Galapagos which are full of turtles despite Darwin's HMS Beagle using them for food. And the infinite regression is sometimes expressed as "Turtles all the way down," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down . Escher had some turtles in his Gravitation, but I think infinite turtles deserve further sketching.

Victoria
I think you may be right. Turtles are the far more interesting beast, artistically and otherwise. I'm not sure that an infinite chain of stacked turtles is very frugal, however.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:09 pm

Sold an individual stock to simply our portfolio and had a garage door man replace the non-functional motor with a less expensive one. Total cost of $1$330 including installation which involved replacing the chain track, the door reverse sensors, the wall based activator, and programming two remotes and two Homelinks in our automobiles. Over two hours work for $170 less than another quote.

Tim

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:59 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
quantAndHold wrote:
To do what?

Victoria

Victoria
I think you may be right. Turtles are the far more interesting beast, artistically and otherwise. I'm not sure that an infinite chain of stacked turtles is very frugal, however.
Frogs are pre-kissed princes, and princes are notorious spendthrifts. Between the two, turtles are more topical.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:24 pm

I went to my heath club and had a free bagel and coffee. Thankfully the worker bees are back at work so I could get a lane in the pool. I swam for 40 minutes. At home I called Vanguard and executed 2 QCDs so that I can save on Medicare tax. I'd far rather give my money to charity than pay IRMAA taxes. It's cold and snowy here and I will need stamps to mail the checks. I was going to order them from Amazon but one critical review said to get out of you jamies and go to the post office. I was already dressed so went to the Post Office and bought the stamps. There were long lines at the post office and stamp machine but a helpful lady came along with a portable credit machine so I got my forever stamps (another saving) from her.

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Packed my lunch for using some leftovers and split McDonald’s french fries with my hubby.

wdnnikl

Post by wdnnikl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:36 pm

As a company becomes more profitable, e.g., Apple sells more and more iPhones, laptops, watches or whatever, wouldn't the share price likely increase too? So, is it possible then, that this thread is actually hurting the performance of my 401k (VFIAX)? :oops:

Since this is a forum largely about growing assets, I'd appreciate it greatly, and so would my heirs, if there was a lot more spending going on. One of my theories is that families with lots of children, need a lot of things, e.g., iPhones, TVs, computers, shoes, food, lots of hot water for long showers, cars, fast food, etc., which should help my retirement accounts grow. It'd also be nice if the quantity of SS contributors was steadily growing when I get ready to take what's earmarked for me. :)

So, turn the A/C down, the heat up, take longer showers (regardless of location), buy new cars more often, and stop sharing fast food, splurge a little. Less conserving and more spending please! :moneybag

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:03 pm

This is better than frugal. I got an email from Amazon to sell one of my kid’s textbooks, something about Marxism. Glad to get rid of it, but I got paid $7 plus shipping.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 pm

I bought shares of a tax efficient mutual fund with a low expense ratio - and paid off my auto loan

Actually I spent a ton of money this week - but in the most frugal way possible I guess ...

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:30 pm

I went to Wholefoods to get some gluten free Museli, it was already on sale but we only found 3 packages, instead of 4, which is when we get 10% discount, but I asked for a discount anyway. It’s not my fault that they didn’t have 4 packages. They gave it to me. It’s better than picking up pennies.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Made my own coffee ... twice! :sharebeer

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:58 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:03 pm
... Amazon to sell one of my kid’s textbooks, something about Marxism.
An excellent example of capitalism. :)

my example: Humidifier solenoid - Ordered it Saturday - Amazon shipped and it arrived today (Wednesday)- free shipping - my humidifier solenoid. Installed it and all is well - saved a service call - estimated $200 - for a $35 amazon part plus 30 minutes of time troubleshooting and replacing. Net savings approx $160 - my time is worth $10/hr max.

Trev H

Post by Trev H » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:06 pm

I make my own fermented pickles and milk kefir... (probiotic rich foods).

Had a batch of pickles that were ready today, ate 2 with dinner.

I have been on Paleo diet since March.. lost 30+ pounds, got off blood pressure and cholesterol meds too.

Being healthy is very frugal.. being sick is very costly.

Trev H

racy

Post by racy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Volunteer at the county food pantry, so take all the day-old bread I can handle...

Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Got rid of the Sirius satellite radio subscription! Had used it for 14 years but we moved to a city with supberb NPR stations so no longer need it. Free podcasts fill in where NPR doesn't.

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 pm

I went to the store to exchange a pair of slippers that my DW bought me for Christmas for the next larger size. In addition to the slipper exchange they gave me $21 and change back. I even asked saying "are you sure?" When I got home I asked my DW "who pays 40 bucks for a pair of slippers?"

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Aside from the low cost investing and being debt fre, I never buy coffee (make a French press every AM) and never pay for lunch at the office

It is insane to me how much people waste on ordering lunch daily

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:41 am

Yesterday, I used a rebate Visa for groceries and mooched dinner off my sister.

Today we're expecting snow, so I plan on working from home and not leaving the house -- saves gas money!

Edited to clarify re: "mooching" -- I meant it as a joke, albeit a poor one. My sister very happily hosts family dinner every week and she has since her eldest child was born. We go over and entertain the little people while she takes a very long and very hot shower without having to worry about them. She also is often able to get a few things and sometimes even read some of her book.

I apologize for insinuating that "mooching" is okay. It is not okay.
Last edited by TwstdSista on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 am

I spent an hour air sealing / shrinkwrapping my windows.

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 am

I got one of these motion activated LED lights for the toilet. Now when I get up in the middle of the night, don't have to turn on lights to find my way or stumble around in the dark (saves $ on trips to the ER). Probably will save $0.05 ( maybe less) in a year after factoring int the cost of the device. Sure is cool having the toilet light up on command. :moneybag

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 am

I read fairly fast. So I returned the books that I got from Amazon the other day for free returns.
Don't bend the spine or crinkle the pages. Return as received in brand new condition.
I keep the books that live up to expectations after this quick review. The general
poor quality of authorship nowadays not uncommon. Long for the days of a good physical bookstore
when one could review in the store, meander for hours, then decide to buy.
j :D
*edited for procedural clarity and to minimize "the noose".
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 am
I read fairly fast. So I returned the books that I got from Amazon the other day for free returns.
Don't bend the spine or crinkle the pages. Return as received in brand new condition.
Most books are not worth keeping unless reference or something to gift or pass on.
I don't know if others do this.
Now Sandtrap - that just might be over the edge of frugality! :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:56 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Frogs are pre-kissed princes, and princes are notorious spendthrifts. Between the two, turtles are more topical.

Victoria
An "old flame" once told me, ". . . I had to kiss a lot of toads to find a good frog". . . .
I did not ask if I was a toad or a frog. . or a prince.

On topic: As long as I'm on the Bogle forum, I'm not on Amazon.com spending money. This is a frugal thing to do.
mahalo

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:59 am

I like to be frugal, but I don't like cheating or using people - like mooching off people for meals, or returning books to Amazon that I read. Come on people! That's not "frugal".

My frugality today: I am going to discontinue HBO and Showtime. Curb Your Enthusiasm season is over. We're using our Amazon Prime for Streaming. Also going to quit our newspaper subscription because we get our news on tv or our iPhones/ipads.

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 pm

trueson1 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Most books are not worth keeping unless reference or something to gift or pass on.
Oh - I forgot to ask - do you pay for the returns? You are making our prime memberships more expensive. :?

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Since today isnt' over - I'll cover yesterday:

Obtained a library card and checked out book - free
While at the library - avoided the local donut shop - very tough - no money spent
Eat lunch at home - no money spent.

We are looking good so far...

Then bought a damn dominos pizza for 20.00 - blew it all!! And the pizza of course isn't very good - but I had a coupon.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:17 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:59 am
I like to be frugal, but I don't like cheating or using people - like mooching off people for meals, or returning books to Amazon that I read. Come on people! That's not "frugal"....
I apologize for calling it "mooching" dinner off my sister. She very willingly feeds us every week for what we call "family dinner". I jokingly call us moochers. She calls us babysitters -- we pay attention to her kids and she gets some down time.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 pm

I volunteered as support staff at a VA Hospital for a few years in the 90s. Today?
Simply my xtreme-frugal lifestyle garners others giving me the eye'. Unless I see a value laden opportunity, then, accumulation & speculation ensues!
Last edited by aspirit on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time & Tides wait for no one.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 pm

trueson1 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 pm
trueson1 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Oh - I forgot to ask - do you pay for the returns? You are making our prime memberships more expensive. :?
I second that emotion, AND when I buy a new book, I feel it's not full of other people's germs, otherwise I would go to the library. Also, I own Amazon Stock and that's the kind of misuse that hurts a company. There is a fine distinction between being "frugal" and "cheap". I'm all for being frugal with myself, but not cheap with others. That's just my personal MO.
Last edited by LadyIJ on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:01 pm

trueson1 wrote:
trueson1 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
If you are a book reviewer, Amazon sends the books and take them back. Book review is a retirement pastime.
Great books are worth keeping. The plethora of poorly written books are not.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:01 pm
trueson1 wrote:
trueson1 wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
If you are a book reviewer, Amazon sends the books and take them back. Book review is a retirement pastime.
Great books are worth keeping. The plethora of poorly written books are not.
Why not get a Kindle then and that Kindle Unlimited subscription.
Cuts down on the hassle of returning books, etc.

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Carpooled with my wife to work instead of paying for separate parking ($10 saved), drank coffee I made at home ($2 saved) and we ate the lunches we packed ($20 saved). Tonight the family and I will eat the dinner I meal-prepped for the week on Monday instead of picking something up ($20 saved).

So that's approximately $50 saved today as compared to other convenient options chosen by lots of folks. Oh and our food is healthier too.

Afty

Post by Afty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:46 pm

I bought H&R Block tax software to do my own taxes, as opposed to paying a CPA hundreds of dollars like I used to do. Also paid for the software with my credit card rewards. :)

Minty

Post by Minty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:53 pm

1. Bought a MacBook Pro for daughter, refurbished instead of new (from the Apple website, based in part on recommendations from the board) and will pay for it with her 529. (I would have preferred a Lenovo for half the price, but one does what one can.)

2. Because of a slight flu, the doc at the urgent care center recommended that I not travel to a conference for which I paid $500 to register. It was too late to get a refund, but there was one day left to transfer the spot to someone else at the same organization. I fired off an email to my colleagues, and one them took it. So I saved my employer $500 and/or avoided a fight on whether I would get reimbursed for a conference I did not attend.
Core Four with nominal bonds and TIPS.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Frank Grimes wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:34 pm
Carpooled with my wife to work instead of paying for separate parking ($10 saved), drank coffee I made at home ($2 saved) and we ate the lunches we packed ($20 saved). Tonight the family and I will eat the dinner I meal-prepped for the week on Monday instead of picking something up ($20 saved).

So that's approximately $50 saved today as compared to other convenient options chosen by lots of folks. Oh and our food is healthier too.
This is exactly what we do. Although I don't quantify the dollar amount saved by those things, it's priceless to live a comfortable and happy life with those principles.

Oh, and I want to add couple more things:

1. We exercise 5-6 days a week. This helps reducing the high health care cost in the future.
2. We drive a car that has replacement cost under 10k. I drive responsibly and carry only liability plus uninsured motorist car insurance. This save me at least $1,000 a year compared to average full coverage insurance cost for a similar vehicle.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
I could not do that and I would not feel good about myself if I did.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm

bikechuck wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:11 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Please don't tighten the "noose" too fast. :shock: (kidding)
I'm a book lover and buy a lot of books. Can't read a Kindle due to bad eyes. So a lot of books get returned and my bookshelves grow slowly.
Books are treasures to a lifetime "reader". To be cared for, treasured. Returned in pristine condition for other book lovers if they do not live up to the reviews or the print is really tiny which cannot be seen on the Amazon site. Bookstores are easier but getting rare. Thus the Amazon bookstore.
Read On.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:34 pm

bikechuck wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
+1!

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Paid a bill online. Then I used the window envelope that came with a bill to send a letter to a friend. Had fun aligning the typewritten address with the window - something I learned to do in high school.

I'd also like to weigh in on returning books (or any other item) to the seller after you use them. That's what libraries are for. The books are probably recycled as the cost of restocking them on the shelf doesn't fit Amazon's business model.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:01 pm

MichaelRpdx wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 pm
Paid a bill online. Then I used the window envelope that came with a bill to send a letter to a friend. Had fun aligning the typewritten address with the window - something I learned to do in high school.

I'd also like to weigh in on returning books (or any other item) to the seller after you use them. That's what libraries are for. The books are probably recycled as the cost of restocking them on the shelf doesn't fit Amazon's business model.
Love it - the envelope bit.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:41 am

Walked around H-Mart trying all the free samples. Like getting a free lunch.
"Im gonna get my kicks in before the whole S--t house goes up in flames" | Jim Morrison- doors

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:44 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm
bikechuck wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
I'm a book lover and buy a lot of books. Can't read a Kindle due to bad eyes. So a lot of books get returned and my bookshelves grow slowly.
Books are treasures to a lifetime "reader". To be cared for, treasured. Returned in pristine condition for other book lovers if they do not live up to the reviews or the print is really tiny which cannot be seen on the Amazon site. Bookstores are easier but getting rare. Thus the Amazon bookstore.
Read On.
I applaud your book review strategy, obviously Amazon has no issues with it either. IMO I'd too would take care of your eyes, these devices "screens illumination" effects are certainly untested w/both valid data & its long run timeline is only what 20+ yrs on the eyes of the masses (us citizens). Good luck!
Time & Tides wait for no one.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:35 am

aspirit wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:44 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm
bikechuck wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Read On.
I applaud your book review strategy, obviously Amazon has no issues with it either. IMO I'd too would take care of your eyes, these devices "screens illumination" effects are certainly untested w/both valid data & its long run timeline is only what 20+ yrs on the eyes of the masses (us citizens). Good luck!
Thanks.
I'm a passionate reader and physical book lover and really miss the days of spending hours on end meandering in a "real" bookstore.
Seeing something interesting, do a quick skim, see if it is worth buying for self or others. There used to be a large "Friends of the Library" branch
in my area and I went there often and usually walked out with a box of books, paid from 20-50 cents each. Read, kept, passed on, or returned for them to sell again. Once a year the "Friends of the Library" would use a local school auditorium and had a huge sale.
I have 3 Kindles but they hurt my eyes and are still not a real book with "large type".
Oh well. Each to his/her own.

hershey102d

Post by hershey102d » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:02 am

11 degrees outside . . . making bean soup in the crockpot ($4), off to the library to pick up a couple of books ('Two Prospectors', letters by Sam Shepard, actor/playwright & 'Slouching Towards Bethlehem', a collection of new essays), then meeting a fishing buddy for a matinee ($6, 'Darkest Hour', a Churchill biopic). A frugal winter's day . . . too cold to fish!

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29 pm

bikechuck wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:
Yes. That's not frugal, that's cheap.

My frugal thing for the day: Drove my Honda Accord to work
- Great MPG
- Not an expensive car; Great Value
- Reliable

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Wife showed me the lastest heat bill.......OUCH! :shock:

Thermostat went down........sweater went on... 8-)
Last edited by fishandgolf on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.