What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Robert44

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Robert44 »

Trader Joe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:40 pm I did not tip the Uber drivers today (two trips). Uber Black. Saved some money to be frugal.

I did give each driver a rating of 5 stars. They did a good job.
That is the ultimate of cheap.
Minty

Post by Minty »

Robert44 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 pm
Trader Joe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:40 pm I did not tip the Uber drivers today (two trips). Uber Black. Saved some money to be frugal.

Bet a wooden nickel that Trader Joe is joking with us. My frugality budgets for tipping every hotel housekeeper, Uber/taxi driver, and restaurant server I encounter.

However, my 25-year-old Honda with 229K miles was really rough and noisy when gear shifting today, so I hope I can find some good advice on the forum on what do do if you have to buy a car but don't want to.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm I cut the floor out of the car and now have a complete Flintstone mobile. No gas needed. Environmental friendly and getting a great workout.
Now you just a small dinosaur for a garbage disposal!
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:44 pm
mindgap wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:13 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:39 pm
I can top that. One day last week, we walked 13 miles round trip to the gym, with stops for coffee, lunch, the post office, and the mall. Since we had coffee and ate lunch out, it wasn't exactly frugal. We're training to walk the Camino, which is also not frugal. It took us all day.
Buen Camino. When will you walk it?
We’re starting right after Easter.
Lovely. Best time to walk it. But be careful it can be still snowy when you start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. But walking into the Spanish spring will be awesome.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Wait what? Now we are supposed to tip Uber drivers? Isn't that the main selling point for the company?
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Minty wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 am

Bet a wooden nickel that Trader Joe is joking with us. My frugality budgets for tipping every hotel housekeeper, Uber/taxi driver, and restaurant server I encounter.
I don't think about myself as being frugal or enjoying frugal things but I have never tipped in my entire life hotel housekeepers or uber drivers (and I did not even realize that I should).
And am I not crazy:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/21/209 ... nber-study

Only 1 percent of Uber customers always tip, while nearly 60 percent never do, according to a new study from the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER). The average tip is 50 cents a ride, but for those who do tip, the average is more like $3.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Learned how to make my own oat milk. Works perfectly and costs me $2 per Gallon compared to $10 when I buy it in the store.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

dm200 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:43 pm Had a big lunch FREE at work today - great food left over from a company meeting.

The folks that host/sponsor such meetings - with lunch provided - let everyone in the building know when there is food left over :) :)
I take pride in not eating any food which is not offered to me in the first place. It is a matter of discipline against a basic animal temptation. Sometimes an admin goes around announcing bagels or donuts. I always ask where they are from. If someone bought them for everybody, then I grab one or two. If they are leftover from a meeting, then I pass.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

You chose the more expensive Black which is typically 3x a regular UberX, didn't tip and then are calling that frugal? :shock:
Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 »

Ate breakfast at the house. Didn't go buy a more expensive breakfast prepared at a restaurant. Made my own. My wife cooked the eggs.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

mindgap wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:01 am Learned how to make my own oat milk. Works perfectly and costs me $2 per Gallon compared to $10 when I buy it in the store.
Maybe you need to try a different store. I often buy a half gallon of OATLY! Original Oat Milk, and the regular price is under $5. I see other brands that cost even less, but I like OATLY!
Last edited by neilpilot on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

mindgap wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:01 am Learned how to make my own oat milk. Works perfectly and costs me $2 per Gallon compared to $10 when I buy it in the store.
Yes - me too - I learned how to do this a few years ago. About 7 years ago I learned how to make my own Kombucha. A friend gave me
a SCOBY and I can make a half gallon of Kombucha for about 30 cents !! Store bought bottles of less than 16 ounces cost $3.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

Great stuff. Add me to the list of people making oat milk.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
swordandscales

Post by swordandscales »

Not today, but last weekend. Our fridge was about 20 years old and finally bit the dust.

My wife and I looked long and hard at the options and ultimately decided to forego the water / ice dispensers and other luxury options and opted for a bottom freezer, single door under $1k.

Feels good walking by it in the kitchen- 1. It looks good. 2. We paid cash without blinking.
Discipline is freedom. | -Jocko Willink
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:45 am
Maybe you need to try a different store. I often buy a half gallon of OATLY! Original Oat Milk, and the regular price is under $5. I see other brands that cost even less, but I like OATLY!
Same. Oatly is great but usually priced $4.99 or when on sale $4.49. Self made is still much cheaper. I will stick with self made.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

Well, I'll tell you...I've started to do alternate day fasting for weight loss and overall "reset" of my body and it has cut down on my food bill like crazy. I fast from evening dinner on (say) Sunday to Tuesday breakfast, then repeat. Nothing at all but coffee and water on fasting days. As long as I keep busy I am just fine--no hunger--and feel great when I wake up on an "eat" day. So far so good, with results.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I stopped by a Tesla Supercharger instead of charging at home because I have some free charging credits from a referral bonus. Saved about $4.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Took the bus home earlier instead using the more comfortable and faster Uber.

Bus was $1,75 Uber Pool would have been $18,50.

Saved me well over $15
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

Remembering the old adage, "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down", I save a gallon or two of water per night. With DW around during the day, mellowing (and saving yet more water) is not an option.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
dm200

Post by dm200 »

mindgap wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:20 am Took the bus home earlier instead using the more comfortable and faster Uber.
Bus was $1,75 Uber Pool would have been $18,50.
Saved me well over $15
Yes - I occasionally take the bus as well. Since I am a "senior", the bus and subway cost me about half of the regular fare.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Pu239 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:58 am Remembering the old adage, "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down", I save a gallon or two of water per night. With DW around during the day, mellowing (and saving yet more water) is not an option.
Yes - my "marital" experience as well. :(

Sometimes, though, if I drink a lot of water, etc. I can get away with it because the "water" looks clear.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Not today - but a few weeks ago, bought senior discount (about 50%) taxi coupons that can be used (for tip as well) when I/we need to use a local taxi.
thrifty_one

Post by thrifty_one »

dm200 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm
Pu239 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:58 am Remembering the old adage, "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down", I save a gallon or two of water per night. With DW around during the day, mellowing (and saving yet more water) is not an option.

Sometimes, though, if I drink a lot of water, etc. I can get away with it because the "water" looks clear.
I live outside of town on several heavily treed acres so i tend to make trips outside when '1' calls :happy
LBYM
dm200

Post by dm200 »

thrifty_one wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:26 pm
dm200 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm
I live outside of town on several heavily treed acres so i tend to make trips outside when '1' calls :happy
I cannot do that - since I live in a "city" type neighborhood.

Even if I lived in a more remote area, where this could work, I am 100% sure my wife would make my life miserable if she knew.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

My husband and I both do this too. :) We're on a well and septic and are frugal with water all the time.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

My wife ordered breakfast off the children's section of the menu this morning at IHop and saved $3 vs. ordering off the 55+.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:01 pm
My husband and I both do this too. :) We're on a well and septic and are frugal with water all the time.
Some toilets have a two flush choice. One button for a small flush and another button for a big flush.
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

Went to see 1917 with my girlfriend and paid a total of $7.00 for tickets and a large popcorn. On Tuesdays AMC has $5 tickets and AT&T has a deal where they give you buy one get one free tickets. You can stack both of these and get tickets for a total of $7 ($5 + $2 online reservation fee.) My birthday is also this month and with a free AMC Stubs membership they give you a free large popcorn as a gift. Cheap date night!
njuser

Post by njuser »

Splurged on a designer handbag. Got a Chase fraud alert: they were like wth that's not her. Agreed with them, called store to cancel order.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Drove only downhill to work and put in neutral to save gas.
Last edited by abuss368 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Lyra

Post by Lyra »

mindgap wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 am
quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:44 pm
mindgap wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:13 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:39 pm
I can top that. One day last week, we walked 13 miles round trip to the gym, with stops for coffee, lunch, the post office, and the mall. Since we had coffee and ate lunch out, it wasn't exactly frugal. We're training to walk the Camino, which is also not frugal. It took us all day.
Buen Camino. When will you walk it?
We’re starting right after Easter.
Lovely. Best time to walk it. But be careful it can be still snowy when you start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. But walking into the Spanish spring will be awesome.
Lyra

Post by Lyra »

I will be walking the Camino as well!
My frugal thing was paying for private yoga lessons. It was an investment in myself-and my future self-and I expect to benefit greatly from it..
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I bought a countertop!

Our bathroom broke, so we're remodeling. In the most recent Bogleheads thread about bathroom remodeling, I read that I should look for countertop remnants. After spending days looking all over town to find the perfect countertop and not finding anything that worked, a salesperson at another store sent us to a specialty countertop place, which happens to have a remnant yard that has remnants of pretty much everything they've ever sold. And we found the perfect remnant, that has been sitting in their yard for six years. So we got a screaming deal on it. Score!
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:44 pm Drove only downhill to work to put in neutral and save gas.
Neutral still takes gas because the engine idles, but engine brake does because there is 0 gas going in
Last edited by Starfish on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Starfish wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:13 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:44 pm Drove only downhill to work to put in neutral and save gas.
Neutral still takes gas because the engine idles, but engine break does because there is 0 gas going in
:sharebeer
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Replaced lightbulbs with lower wattage bulbs.
L82GAME

Post by L82GAME »

Paid $5.25 to take trash, recycling and compost to dump instead of paying for curbside pickup.
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Lao Tzu
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Starfish wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:52 am
Minty wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 am

I don't think about myself as being frugal or enjoying frugal things but I have never tipped in my entire life hotel housekeepers or uber drivers (and I did not even realize that I should).
And am I not crazy:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/21/209 ... nber-study

Only 1 percent of Uber customers always tip, while nearly 60 percent never do, according to a new study from the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER). The average tip is 50 cents a ride, but for those who do tip, the average is more like $3.
I typically only tip in the most conventional situations. Such as restaurants with table servers. But I do tip Uber drivers, usually $3 or $5, because it is a service I value, and I don't think most make much at all after expenses, which most don't fully account for. On a net basis the tips may be most of the real net they bring in.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

framus wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:04 pm Eschewed driving and walked the one mile round trip to Planet Fitness all the while repeating my mantra:
"It's all about the Benjamins".
Arrived back at the abode feeling invigorated and somewhat righteous. 8-)
Of course someone using the word abode will feel righteous :beer
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

I did this once and lost power steering. Would not recommend lol
twr

Post by twr »

My wife and I were eager to redo our living room, so instead of going out and buying a ton of new art and accessories, we simply swapped the location of a few wall hangings, moved some pillows around, and decorated the mantle with a few things in storage.

Instant (and free) makeover, and the room feels completely new!
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

toofache32 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:40 pm I waited until a rainy day (today) to wash my car so I didn't have to pay for the rinse cycle.
I only want my car twice a year.

Last year I even detailed the inside. First time since 2013.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Today, it's pouring rain in the Philadelphia area. I will let nature wash my car.

I did try to wash it yesterday (50 degrees), but the hose was inside the garage and was still frozen. The past few days had below freezing temperature and it wasn't warm long enough to thaw the hose.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

In deciding on my transportation options (Uber/Lyft, try and find a parking meter, parking garage) to go to a friend's place in a highly dense area last night I discovered I could book a parking spot in his actual building through SpotHero. It was $4.50. The price on the parking garage sign was $27. $4.50 is cheaper than the parking meters which I doubt would have an open spot on a Friday night in this area.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

dm200 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:43 pm Had a big lunch FREE at work today - great food left over from a company meeting.

The folks that host/sponsor such meetings - with lunch provided - let everyone in the building know when there is food left over :) :)
That happens a lot at my office (this week being an example). I'm usually in the meetings so I get the meal then, plus leftovers the next day.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Bought Ralphs Private Selection San Marzano Style Tomatos in a can instead for $2.19 for $1.69 using the digital coupons. Bought two and saved me $1.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Parked far from the restaurant at a free spot so I didn't have to pay for valet.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

manatee2005 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:54 pm Parked far from the restaurant at a free spot so I didn't have to pay for valet.
Love that. Serves two purposes.

1) Saves money
2) Makes you walk after eating which is good for digesting
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

More LED lights in the basement. Old lightbulbs gone.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Sold tools that I have not used in 15 years and will never again.