What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brandy

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by brandy »

Just in case you're serious :sharebeer
I almost always pay bills via recycled envelopes. (Some bills contain an envelope.) It takes a bit of time, but I have more of that, and I hate to waste. If there is a lot of writing on front, I toss them. Writing on back, not so bad.
There are at least two kinds of window envelopes, the window on right, where the address goes, and on the left. Just insert a blank piece of junk mail( –or the back of another envelope) to cover that space. To add the address, I hold white bond paper (fitted TO the envelope) to the outside, hold it up to light, and mark the four corners, giving an approximation of the address space. Write the address and stick it into the envelope.
I cover the upper left info with my own stick-ums and info, and on the bottoms, front and back—on the back, look for the long pale orange number near the bottom, left to center, and scratch over them with pen. Be sure to use a stick-um or pen on other black spaces on fronts, they are there for the company's reasons that have nothing to do with you.
Other envelopes become grocery or to do lists. Or doodle paper. Or...
Dad

Post by Dad »

I ironed dress shirts for the week before work this morning.
GRP

Post by GRP »

Ate at home instead of eating breakfast out.

Man I want those pancakes and breakfast sausages...
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Have elite status with major airline that permits me ability to cancel tickets and receive full credit. I review all my flights (fly 2-3 times a month for personal reasons) on Tuesday evenings to see if current flights are cheaper. If they are will cancel and buy at lower price. I will only purchase flights one way as it is easier to adjust flight reservations as opposed to a single round trip reservation
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Instead of drinking craft beer last night. I had Miller High Life. Much cheaper.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

bearcub wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:02 am Instead of drinking craft beer last night. I had Miller High Life. Much cheaper.
I’m all for saving money, but sometimes you just need to draw the line and not get ridiculous.
Van

Post by Van »

Changed the filter in my heater.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

Changed both headlight bulbs in my car. The indicator warning said the left one needed changing, but it stands to reason that the right one would soon need it also. Bulbs are pretty cheap at Auto Parts store. YouTube lesson taught me how, since I like tinkering.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I spent over $1000. on a computer I didn't need.
It could have been worse. I could have upgraded the storage, RAM and display and spent $2000.
Now I can give mine to my gf, who needs a new one way more than I do. (truth be told that was a major motivation...otherwise I probably would have kept my old one) . The one I own is a perfectly fine vintage 2016 Thinkpad.
elainet7

Post by elainet7 »

recharged toner on copier
removed all from miele vacuum bag to reuse it
when your refrig water filter says to replace-it goes off every 6 months no matter what-replace when water tastes different-company told me this
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Biweekly self haircut. So easy and so free.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Nate79 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:34 pm Biweekly self haircut. So easy and so free.
What do you use?
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

dratkinson wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:37 pm
Nate79 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:34 pm Biweekly self haircut. So easy and so free.
What do you use?
Electric clippers and a mirror mounted in the shower. I use three size settings. Short on sides, a little longer on top, and a mid size to transition between the two.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Cooked my dogs food.
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 »

Cut my son's hair (with permission from my wife first).
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

brandy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:47 am Just in case you're serious :sharebeer
I almost always pay bills via recycled envelopes.
Recycled envelopes or not, paying bills by mail is extremely wasteful. Unless you're also recycling stamps.
brandy

Post by brandy »

"Recycled envelopes or not, paying bills by mail is extremely wasteful. Unless you're also recycling stamps."

Like anything else, personal tastes rule! :happy
I'm guessing you are referring to the cost of stamps. If anything else, please explain. :happy
I have better knowledge of my financial situation using a check/recording system.
My computer is old, connection is not secure.
Never have been interested in any kind of financial transactions via computer until a few years ago,when I made my first on line purchase. Even now if I have the option to call to order (on-line), I will.
catscadia

Post by catscadia »

bearcub wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:02 am Instead of drinking craft beer last night. I had Miller High Life. Much cheaper.
I recommend you get into homebrewing, if you haven't already. Higher up front costs obviously but picking up the hobby is rewarding and worth the cost. After you get the equipment you can brew a 5 gallon batch for $15-20.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Agree, there's no comparison. Feel free to bump this thread: Home Brewing - the most recent I could find.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

Did my yearly auto insurance comparison since my renewal was due. Is it just me, or do these companies always jack up your rate a certain % after they have baited you in with a first year premium? Anyway, I saved about 1 K, so that felt good.
sonomasmiles

Post by sonomasmiles »

Went to my local thrift store to by a baby gift, found a brand new Christmas dress for newborn with tags still on it. For $1.00 plus tax! Bought holiday bag and wrapping for gift. Out the door for $1.22! :happy
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

I'm looking forward to Dec 26th to go Christmas shopping for next year...Lots of stuff on sale. Also I usually buy any Christmas decorations or wrapping paper then.
hmw

Post by hmw »

We watched a matinee movie for the price of $5.40 per person today.

Also rebooked our vacation car rental in January on Costco travel for a saving of $22. :happy
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I recycled some Christmas bows, I didn’t know they were stuff my husband picked up and meant to dump them until one of my kids told me they don’t stick. Accidental Lol
brandy

Post by brandy »

A few months ago I was given some fancy luncheon napkins. Yesterday and today I glued 5 napkins together for disposable bibs. I made 8 of them for a hostess gift for tomorrow. We'll use 4 tomorrow, she'll have 4 to use later.
OnBoard

Post by OnBoard »

Arrived at the airport to pick up rental from Budget. There were 10 people in line and only 2 agents working the counter. Jumped on costcotravel and rebooked with Alamo for a pick-up 5 minutes later and saved $50 on top of it.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Last year, I was too lazy to clean my garden, this year Cilantro, parsley all come up voluntarily. Some of my dishes for Christmas require them. Plus I have lots of herbs from my garden, lots of thymes is need for a lot of my French recipes today, plus I also have lots of rosemary for my roast beef. All free.
Elena

Post by Elena »

I started looking for a new gym (cancelled membership beginning in Jan.). Current one changed the program, and I have not been attending as much lately, so not able to justify the outrageous price I happily paid before I started going less. The goal is to find a gym a bit more affordable, since I do not want to stop exercising, ideally within walking distance.
yousha

Post by yousha »

I cancelled a trip to Sweden scheduled in March, 2019.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I ate leftovers from last evening's Christmas Eve supper.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Today I carefully opened a gift from my BF sister with lovely wrapping. Then immediately wrapped a gift I gave my son that was almost the same dimensions with the same paper and ribbon. Gave the gift a couple of hours later. The gift and wrapping were much appreciated.
poundwise

Post by poundwise »

When I occasionally splurge and buy a coffee shop latte, I sometimes bring my own cocoa in a small tupperware to make it a mocha. Not worth the extra 75 cents they charge for a couple squirts of chocolate. Not many people in life would get this, but perhaps some Bogleheads might...
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

Cut your hair every week and you will save twice as much. :greedy
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

- Made my own yogurt (I eat A LOT, so homemade is much, much cheaper, in addition to being so much better and so easy to make)
- Used a $15 kit to hide my gray roots so I can wait another two months before I have to go to the salon.
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

Went and got myself the most expensive coffee in Starbucks...it was free, because today is my birthday! :D
dekecarver

Post by dekecarver »

I bought a $4 beer instead of a $8 beer and cooked dinner at home instead of eating out.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

xerxes101 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:47 pm Went and got myself the most expensive coffee in Starbucks...it was free, because today is my birthday! :D
🎉 🎉 🎉 Happy Birthday! 🎉 🎉 🎉

🎈 🎁 🎂 🎈
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Elena

Post by Elena »

:sharebeer
xerxes101 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:47 pm Went and got myself the most expensive coffee in Starbucks...it was free, because today is my birthday! :D
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Starting my taxes. Getting document folder setup. I think I am getting ver 4K back due to the overtaxation of severance.

On Friday I think I will find I have been extra frugal. My spending amount is 3k, but I am 1k below!
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Ate leftovers for 2 meals. But hubby bought a new to us pickup truck, so I think I'll have to eat a lot more leftovers to catch up with the money spend on the pick-em-up truck.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:30 pmAte leftovers for 2 meals. But hubby bought a new to us pickup truck, so I think I'll have to eat a lot more leftovers to catch up with the money spend on the pick-em-up truck.
Enjoy the truck!!!! :beer

Looks like leftovers for us today as well since the garage door won't open to go to the store due to the -20 to -10 temperatures.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Replaced burned out light bulbs with more LED bulbs!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
BoggledHead2

Post by BoggledHead2 »

Let’s see ...

1. Made coffee at home in the morning (French press, it’s not that time consuming when you get dressed while its brewing)
2. Didn’t buy breakfast out.
3. Didn’t order lunch.
4. Leftovers healthy dinner (Prep a couple meals on Sunday then just eat it T-Thursday, I fast Monday)
5. Work out/Yoga at home

I pretty much spend $0 Monday - Thursday every week.

It’s healthy, not difficult to do once you realize how much BS people waste money on ... and then I splurge on the wkends and enjoy life.

Grill up a bunch of chicken, sauté/roast a bunch of veggies, make a big salad ... mix n match throughout the week. Done and done.
lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 »

I found 16 oz. Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage chubs at the 99 Cent Store for $1. The chub said use or freeze by 2/9/19. The same chub is $4.49 at Smith's. We stocked up and put them in the freezer for later use. I did the same thing when I found 16 oz. Oscar Mayer Hardwood Smoked Bacon for $1 at the 99 Cent Store a few months ago.
MrsRoos

Post by MrsRoos »

Reused a box to return an item to Amazon. UPS wanted to charge me $5.49 for a box.

Also ate leftovers for lunch.
“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” - Kenneth Boulding
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Brought my own pot to the restaurant to pick up a takeout food order, so they could put the food in the pot.

Made a delicious smoked turkey broth with a smoked turkey carcass then removed bones, added ginger, garlic and squash for a yummy soup.

Bought spinach on sale at Costco—2.5 pounds for $4! Also bought cara cara oranges at Costco—$9.99 for 8 pounds—cheaper than any of our other local stores.

Returned 9 empty ink cartridges at Office Depot for $2 credit apiece and bought a 64gb usb3 flashdrive on sale for $14.99 using a credit received from returning a Christmas gift Cross fountain pen that didn’t work.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Wife and I rode our bikes to the local community college, where she got a $3.50 haircut in the cosmetology department. I, of course, doubled the cost by going for coffee while she was getting the haircut.

I was dubious before she went in, but it was a good haircut.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
rvflyer

Post by rvflyer »

Bought VIDBOX for MAC (about 39.00) on Amazon to do my own vhs video to DVD conversions rather than pay for someone else to do it. I have alot of tape and this product does vhs, 8mm etc.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I bought a case of Bogle wine for between $7.59/bottle for white and $7.99/bottle for red. Then I sent in for the currently-offered $3/bottle mail-in rebate. My final cost is $4.59 and $4.99/bottle, respectively, minus the postage, of course.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:22 pm I bought a case of Bogle wine for between $7.59/bottle for white and $7.99/bottle for red. Then I sent in for the currently-offered $3/bottle mail-in rebate. My final cost is $4.59 and $4.99/bottle, respectively, minus the postage, of course.
We have had those rebate deals at a few local grocery stores here. I got Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc (I believe it is $12 at Costco) for $4 after rebate. You had to buy 6. I hate rebates, but a few I cannot turn down.