What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Pajamas

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Pajamas »

4strings wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:45 am I never turn on the Heat or AC in my car regardless of how cold or hot it gets to save on gas. Sometimes I wont even turn on the radio as to conserve battery power and demand/stress on the car.
You would save a lot more gas by sticking to speeds between 35 and 50 miles an hour or so for efficiency.

The comments above about using the heat and keeping the windows rolled up at highway speeds are also helpful in increasing efficiency.

There are people who try to squeeze out the most mpg from a vehicle as a hobby. It's called "hypermiling". You would probably find it very interesting to read about if you haven't already researched it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-efficient_driving
masonstone

Post by masonstone »

I returned my Christmas tree to Costco
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

masonstone wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:07 pm I returned my Christmas tree to Costco
Doesn't seem frugal.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I think that’s the standing joke. Lighten up a bit.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

LadyIJ wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:13 pm
mak1277 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:40 pm
bearcub wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:19 pm While in the laundromat I noticed a woman putting her clothes in a dryer. On the phone she told a friend she would be right over. A half hour walk was no problem. So I opened her dryer + threw my clothes in with hers. Got dryed for free. She never knew.
This definitely transcends "frugal" and should be classified as "cheap"
It's worse than cheap - downright dishonest. I wouldn't want a stranger's clothes drying with mine. How do I know what cooties are in it? That is JUST TERRIBLE and possibly illegal!
Ok, calm down. I understand you wouldn't want a stranger's clothes drying with yours, but illegal? Come on. What law was violated?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 pm I think that’s the standing joke. Lighten up a bit.
Somebody's first post here is a standing joke? Interesting.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:52 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 pm I think that’s the standing joke. Lighten up a bit.
Somebody's first post here is a standing joke? Interesting.
Extra points to the first poster having read enough here to post a standing joke.

On Topic Content:
I combined a trip to Costco, the library, and the hardware store.
My annual car mileage is under 5,000.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
SundayMorning

Post by SundayMorning »

DW texted me a photo of a Valentine's Day card today. Apparently the one she liked was $5.00; she normally spends $.50 to $1 on cards. Therefore, we went paperless this year. No worries about lifestyle creep here :wink:
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

I hit my target of 180 meals in the freezer - all cooked from scratch using produce grown in my garden.
I also bartered some nuts and fruit from the garden that I had in the freezer in return for some cookies.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

HongKonger wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 pm I hit my target of 180 meals in the freezer - all cooked from scratch using produce grown in my garden.
I also bartered some nuts and fruit from the garden that I had in the freezer in return for some cookies.
Wow! That is incredible.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

kenoryan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 pm I had a tree fall in my yard. The tree service quoted me $900 to take it down and haul it away.

I went to Menards and bought an electric chain saw for $70. I cut down the tree and chopped it into firewood. Took me 3 hours but I saved $830! I bought 3 shares of SPY!
I would rent an electric chain saw if I have that option :twisted:

Good job!
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Treated a headache with generic acetaminophen (Tylenol) that "expired" three years ago, instead of throwing out the bottle and buying a new one.
Last edited by Doctor Rhythm on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

HongKonger wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 pm I hit my target of 180 meals in the freezer - all cooked from scratch using produce grown in my garden.
Do you want to share any of your recipes? I am in awe, by the way. :happy
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:46 pm
Do you want to share any of your recipes? I am in awe, by the way. :happy
I'm vegan and my recipes are 'one pot' affairs that make good use of lentils and dried beans. Fave dishes you can easily find online are Greek Gigantes Plakis, Moroccan Loubia, Indian Chana Masala, Pumpkin and red lentil Dahl, Thai red and green curry, and of course dishes like chili, jambalaya, risotto. Websites that consistently turn out winning dishes for me are BBC Good Food, Vegan Richa, 196flavours, VegRecipesofIndia, omnivorescookbook, and the tiffin box.

I can, dehydrate and root cellar lots of produce to get me through the winter which is when I convert all my ingredients into ready meals. The idea is that I prep enough so once the Spring starts and I am busy outdoors either growing or building, I don't need to think about cooking and can spend my daylight hours working. As I clear the freezer of meals, I refill with produce - rinse and repeat. I only shop 2 or 3 times a year now.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Thanks, HongKonger.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
denovo

Post by denovo »

I've seen about 20 movies in the last 3 months for only $30 bucks.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

denovo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:22 am I've seen about 20 movies in the last 3 months for only $30 bucks.
I used to spend that much (RedBox), but haven't rented a movie in about a year. Now watch maybe 2 movies each week on my Fire Stick. Since I already had Amazon Prime, that's about 25 movies in the last 3 months for $0.
evad

Post by evad »

hulburt1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 am I always buy my summer cloths at the end of summer and winter cloths at the end of winter. I always look poor when I go shopping. Sometimes I get a big discount. I went to a restaurant while I was traveling and someone tried to slip me a $5. Said his wife felt sorry for me. When I left I paid there bill.
I've been frugal all my life. That might be the reason I have 2.5m.
Did you accept the $5?
CantPassAgain

Post by CantPassAgain »

Walked out of Costco with a case of Kirkland craft beer for $20.99 plus tax, and nothing else. Probably a first for me.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

In summer I will be attending a conference in Belgrade. The conference hotel (5 stars) is available at the €90 conference rate (converted into the Serbian currency at the time of visit). Instead, I booked a 3-star hotel at 12-minute walk at €40/night. I will be staying there for 7 nights and save €350, or over $400.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
harrington

Post by harrington »

My GF is turning in her lease and they said the tread on two of the tires are at 3/32 and they wanted to charge us $300 for two new tires. Anything below 4/32 and they need to be replaced. I found two used ones that matched what was on the car with 5/32 of tread and they cost me $80 for both installed. Did I mention I would never lease a car.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Several things last week we did that were frugal.

We returned our rental car one day early and save $70. The car battery was dead, but we were afraid it won’t start overnight even after driving it for an hour. The AAA guy said it was dead battery. We took the bus from the hotel to the nearby mall to save money on Uber. We didn’t know this service but I’ve overheard somebody mentioned this.

We flew the red eyed flight from Maui to LAX and from Tahiti to Maui because it was free. Cleaned up all of my AA miles. But this will be the last time using AA miles. Our bodies are not getting any younger, no more night flight unless I can lay down and sleep.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Today my wife and I ate leftovers rather than go out to a restaurant for dinner.

It was frugal, but we actually did it because we didn't feel like going out. If we felt like going out, we would have gone the non-frugal route.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
southpaw328

Post by southpaw328 »

packed a lunch
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Re-heated yesterday's coffee.......yuk.... :oops: ......I hate doing that but this thread is making me feel guilty..... :|

....tomorrow.............gonna do the fresh stuff..... :sharebeer
Shikoku

Post by Shikoku »

I opted to drive our fuel-efficient vehicle today instead of driving the not-so-fuel-efficient one and saved about a half gallon of gas!
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Decided to give the whole frugality thing a break. Don't see myself turning into a sudden spendthrift, just not going to put the same amount of energy to it. Don't have to. Yeah me.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
PopArt

Post by PopArt »

On my weekly grocery shopping trip, I stopped by the cafe next store and bought a cup of regular coffee...went back to pick up my groceries and after I finished my shopping and coffee, I went back to the cafe and got my spouse a cup of decaf with my free refill. :D
"Art should be something that liberates your soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.” | Keith Haring
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Home cooked meal for a change. What I spent yesterday for a whole week of vegetables and some meat was less than what I spent on just one breakfast for two on my vacation. Best yet, my husband prefers the roasted turkey breast, Cinderella pumpkin from my garden, and some peas. Healthy and cheap.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

PopArt wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 am On my weekly grocery shopping trip, I stopped by the cafe next store and bought a cup of regular coffee...went back to pick up my groceries and after I finished my shopping and coffee, I went back to the cafe and got my spouse a cup of decaf with my free refill. :D
Sometimes frugal boarders on the verge of dishonest
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

And sometimes it crosses the line.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:05 pm
PopArt wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 am On my weekly grocery shopping trip, I stopped by the cafe next store and bought a cup of regular coffee...went back to pick up my groceries and after I finished my shopping and coffee, I went back to the cafe and got my spouse a cup of decaf with my free refill. :D
This instance does not cross the line, to my eye. They offer a refill. He used it effectively.
tryterry

Post by tryterry »

Slow cooked a meal instead of eating out. Will get 8+ delicious meals for the price of 2 at a restaurant
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I usually freeze half of a loaf of bread when I buy it to use for toast as it would get moldy before I finished it otherwise. I keep it in a bread bag inside a heavy-duty gallon-size freezer bag to prevent it from absorbing odors. The zipper freezer bags tend to fail at the ends of the zipper long before the body of the bag is no longer in good shape, so I use a twist-tie on the freezer bag to extend its useful life.
MichaelRpdx wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 pm
This instance does not cross the line, to my eye. They offer a refill. He used it effectively.
I think this situation depends on the rules of the cafe. Most places that offer free refills offer them on the same visit only.

Getting something out of a vehicle and immediately returning to the cafe probably would be considered the same visit and maybe even going into the grocery store next door to buy a magazine or newspaper and returning to the cafe to read it would be the same visit, but leaving the cafe to go grocery shopping and then dropping into the cafe just to refill the coffee and immediately leaving probably would not be considered the same visit, at least not to me. I guess it depends on intent. The workers in the coffee shop probably don't care either way, but the owner might.

Generally, I think it is best not to abuse generous policies or they inevitably are removed. The actions of a few selfish people harm many. The change in the L.L.Bean lifetime return policy is a good recent example of this.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Pajamas wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 am
I think this situation depends on the rules of the cafe. Most places that offer free refills offer them on the same visit only.

My view is that "Most places that offer free refills offer them on the same visit only.", and for the same individual. This is somewhat analogous to ordering an all-you-can eat buffet and sharing it with your spouse, who is sitting next to you watching you eat and hasn't paid for any food.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I made a review on a private tour we did in Maui, it wasn’t good, but I didn’t expect the owner to send me an email and said he would refund money for 1/2 of the trip. I thought TripAdvisor tend to hide these type of reviews, I was surprised that these reviews do work as intended.
I honestly didn’t want other people to get ripped off like I did, found out there are other bad reviews from this same tour guy. We shall see if I get the credit, owner said it will appear in 5 days.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

SrGrumpy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am Today I took Ubershare to the airport instead of regular Uber. And because airport fees are baked into the price, I chose a drop-off near the airport and walked the last km. Paid $4.30 instead of about $9.
Next time, take it to a car rental location. You can hop on their airport shuttle for free.
PopArt

Post by PopArt »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:59 am
Pajamas wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 am

My view is that "Most places that offer free refills offer them on the same visit only.", and for the same individual. This is somewhat analogous to ordering an all-you-can eat buffet and sharing it with your spouse, who is sitting next to you watching you eat and hasn't paid for any food.

Thanks for your replies to my post, I appreciate your points of view and will incorporate them on my next visit, thank you!
"Art should be something that liberates your soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.” | Keith Haring
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Today I have assembled the office chair I purchased from Amazon. Its regular price is $64.99, but I purchased it for $54.37 in the condition "Used - Like New - Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged." The problem was not with the packaging but with a control handle the plastic ending of which came broken out of the box.

The "frugal thing" was buying an inexpensive but comfortable chair and assembling it myself.
The "foolish thing" was not buying it "New." It turns out that "Like New" is not "New," and "Amazon Warehouse Deals" are not "Amazon."

I sent an email to Amazon asking for a replacement handle. They responded that they can't provide replacement parts for the orders fulfilled by vendors of "Amazon Warehouse Deals" and offered two options: (1) to give me a refund of 20% of the purchase price or (2) return this chair and receive a new one from Amazon. I chose (1), because I don't want to disassemble this chair and assemble another one.

My second "frugal" thing was contacting Amazon.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I harvested about 2 pounds of turmeric from my garden, a natural viagra. For $80 a pill, I’m saving a lot of money, haha.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I bought my daughter a swimsuit at Target today. There was a sign that kids’ swimsuits were 20% off, but it rang up at full price at the register. I went back to customer service to get the correct price. Saved $2.80!
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Went to the cheapest gas station in town that also takes credit cards at no extra fee......plus got 2% back.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

I made an open face turkey sandwich for lunch using the two heels from the bread loaf. Waste not, want not.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I could see this both ways. Going back to get a refill if you have been in the same general proximity is close enough that I’d probably say it’s fine. Doing that and then giving it to spouse probably crosses the line. But that is ultimately a judgement the consumer and retailer have to come to. Perhaps the consumer feels good about the experience and goes back again, and tells other people.

There is often an inherent tension in some commercial transactions. Many posts are about how consumers got the best of a retail / servicer. Often what one party does may be at the expense of the other party. Is it wrong to churn credit cards for bonuses? I do it some, even though my intent is not to use the card long term.

Years ago one of my friends told how he would take an iced tea cup on long road trips and get refills along the way. That’s over the line.

If I am at a restaurant and order a beer, and my wife gets a refill of Diet Coke but doesn’t drink it, and I do, is that over the line ? If she gets a refill specifically knowing I’ll drink it, is that over the line? If i Just get water, drink it, and then pour my wife’s Diet Coke in it is that over the line? It can get murky was to where the line is crossed.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I took a nap. It cost nothing and improved the quality of life in the house for all of us at the same low price.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:34 pm
4strings wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:45 am I never turn on the Heat or AC in my car regardless of how cold or hot it gets to save on gas. Sometimes I wont even turn on the radio as to conserve battery power and demand/stress on the car.
Using the car's heater assists the cooling system. Internal combustion engines create a lot of waste heat. Keeping yourself and the passengers warm is a good use for some of the heat which would otherwise be dissipated through the radiator.
When I was a teen I had a car that overheated and I’d blast the heater and it would help
A little. Problem was it was terribly uncomfortable in the summer.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

I dress crappy + go down to the corner church soup kitchen for free lunch. :shock:
davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

WASTED 3 HOURS at Costco optical and saved $200. Absolutely horrendous customer service - nice but completely ignorant service girl who knew nothing about how to deal with insurance reimbursements. And nothing about which lens would be supported with which frames. No guidance either. We ended up triple cancelling our order to finally getting the right order in. Thank god her shift ended in the middle of our order and her much more knowledgeable co-worker took over. Otherwise it would be a 5 hour wait. Lesson learnt. Avoiding Costco optical from now on. Not worth it.
Last edited by davidsorensen32 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Not spending.

A few days ago, I applied and was approved for a new credit card. Now, I am saving all my potential expenses for the minimum spending on this card. BUT, after I receive the card, I will stop posting in this thread for three months.

Victoria
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 am Avoiding Costco optical from now on.
Have had good service at our Costco but I am also working on my anti-service RADAR that detects untrained incompetent service personnel so I can bail faster or ask for supervision. Problem is, every MINUTE you invest in the encounter, the more you want it over and have wishful thinking that it will end well but rarely does. Have had this at the local prescription counter and dealing with our health insurance company - it's hopeless.