What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by VictoriaF »

As I was reviewing my 2018 travel plans, I decided NOT to go to Palo Alto in April and to Berlin in July. These are frugal decisions, but my goal is to be frugal with time rather than money. Every trip, especially international and across several time zones, uses my energy for planning and catching up upon return.

If in 2018 I accomplish my goals, in 2019 I will reward myself with a trip to Australia or New Zealand.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
nptit

Post by nptit »

jojay wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:17 pm I have been a test shaver for a major razor company for nearly 25 years. I have enough blades to last me for several years.
I gave multiple blades to my son today - probably worth $100.
How did you come into this opportunity? Seems pretty unique. Can you describe more?
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

During winter months, I take each of our cars through the local car wash either once a week or every other week, weather permitting. I do this because they have an undercarriage wash that helps counteract the negative effects of the salt they use on the roads here. Today, they had a “buy 4, get 5” package, so I loaded up enough coupons to see us through the winter. From spring through fall, I wash by hand. Not a huge deal, but saving a few bucks here, a few bucks there, and eventually it adds up.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I walk around the house every few hours and turn off the lights in unoccupied rooms.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:30 pm I walk around the house every few hours and turn off the lights in unoccupied rooms.
Bet you leave all the TVs on though, don't you? :wink:
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

I paid with a check at the town hall today. I saved 2.3% on the bill and put it towards coffee for home (the queen of the Wings Manor enjoys French pressing in the morning).

After paying the bill I went next door to the town library and read a few books for free. Libraries are easily one of the best frugal outlets in America. I believe there are some early Bogleheads who even laid the foundation for their retirements solely by using free information and internet at the local library. :happy
“Ronald James Read was an American philanthropist, investor, janitor, and gas station attendant.”
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Had a drink at work (where it is free) instead of at home.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
matt fe2o3

Post by matt fe2o3 »

I got out of Costco for under 60 bucks and that included a pizza.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

+ Committed to a Dry January (no alcohol)
+ Updated my Year End Net Worth
+ Created a fresh YNAB budget for 2018
+ Started intermittent fasting/OMAD (frugal because my clothes are getting tight!)

++Kudos to the gym-goers. I think exercise is always a worth expenditure. I plan to go either running (no cost) or to a spin class (12EUR) today. Either one is a financial and health win!
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
wdnnikl

Post by wdnnikl »

I turned off lights that were no longer needed. +$.75

DW brought home 2 expensive subs ($23) for supper. She claims this was cheaper than the restaurant she had in mind. +$14

I love it when DW wins. :moneybag
Jayhawk11

Post by Jayhawk11 »

Commuted via bike instead of car/train in spite of the extreme cold temperatures.

brought leftover lasagna (6 straight lunches and dinners) instead of eating something I wasn't sick of. Packed snacks and sodas so as not to have to buy them from the CVS or a restaurant.

Finished the family financial state of the union, which will hopefully convince my wife to save more of her income.

Called and listend to VerizonFIOS's spiel to get a $25 amazon giftcard.

Date night tonight is a wine tasting I gave my wife for Christmas. Since we'd be going out and drinking wine anyway on a Friday night, I consider it a two birds with one stone situation (credit for a present for doing something we'd do anyway).
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Refilled my Poland Springs water bottle with tap water.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
exigent

Post by exigent »

I made myself a delicious cup of coffee, as I do every morning, using my Aeropress. To be more accurate, I made 20 oz, so several cups...
raisinsaregrapes

Post by raisinsaregrapes »

I packed up all my things and put them in a storage unit. Got rid of all rent and utility payments. Moved my family in with the in-laws and deployed to a 3rd world country were I would have pretty much zero expenses......

The little things add up. :|
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

(yesterday) paid my mobile phone bill, 2 lines that we switched from AT&T to Xfinity. Using our normal data draw, the monthly bill went from $83 to $17.44 including tax & fees. We now only pay for data; unlimited voice & text are free.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

I took the time to trace and disconnect an existing doorbell system in my house.

I completely removed the attached transformer from my circuit panel and undid all associated wiring.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Ridiculously high satisfaction from saving $4:

I wanted to book one of my 2018 flights before the New Year. For a long while Google Flights was showing the optimal flights for $258. I was going to wait until 28-29 December to buy it. Then on Wednesday, the 27th, the price has suddenly dropped to $222, and I purchased the tickets earlier than I had planned. Today, the same flights are $226.

Conclusion: I am an accomplished market timer.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Ceiling fan in loft area (18 feet up) went out. :x Was making adjustments to speed and remote stopped working. Oh boy...this will be an expensive service call. :dollar Fan is 20+ years old so thinking replacement. :annoyed

I had noticed the light on remote was out....replaced battery...nope. Check connections, fiddled a bit.........nope. So, I let it sit a few days then decided to take another look. :idea: After closer inspection, appeared wire might be pinched so decide to cut, re-strip and re-solder each wire......WALLA....back in operation!
:sharebeer
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

Baked a loaf of Irish Soda Bread. $1.25 in ingredients for a full pound loaf of fresh bread.
Picked up books at the library. Yay! Libraries!
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your money and your time).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Fixed a leak under my kitchen sink. It is kind of a nightmare (beyond simple fix) and I didn't want to do it, but it is 3 degrees here and I knew a plumber would be hard to get and charge a fortune.
Gray

Post by Gray »

Installed a nice home gym. Got Sole to give me a 10% Discount below their Black Friday sale for an E95S elliptical, F85 treadmill, and rower. I also got an ab bench, equipment mats, weight set, 24” pole fan, and a stretching mat.

I’ve got my family using it regularly—as am I. This isn’t one of those near-term cost saving moves, but the health benefits (and cost savings) in the long term are significant. It sure beats a gym membership I never use. I’ll add a small HDTV with back-mounted Apple TV soon to encourage use.

I chose Sole based on reputation, reviews, reliability, and warranty.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

Today I ordered a remastered 1953 recording of TOSCA featuring Maria Callas from an Amazon seller in England for a price cheaper than Amazon's . Anthony Tommasini (New York Times opera critic) says this CD is the best opera ever re-recorded.

Amazon sellers usually sell the same product cheaper. A good deal if you're not an Amazon Prime member and not in a rush to get it.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Noticed from my non-scientific methods that I was using about large variations of shampoo when applied in the shower. The observed standard deviation exceeded the mean. Decided to apply a dollop before getting into the shower and have reduced usage and waste by 50%. The $1.25 Suave shampoo DURATION has been increased allow a slightly earlier retirement.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Today I did not use the air conditioner.

Victoria
ER2023

Post by ER2023 »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:41 pm Baked a loaf of Irish Soda Bread. $1.25 in ingredients for a full pound loaf of fresh bread.
Picked up books at the library. Yay! Libraries!
+1 for libraries! Also picked up several books and movies at our local library for the weekend.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Roasted a delicious miso orange glazed chicken, recipe here.
https://beyondmeresustenance.com/miso-o ... d-chicken/
All for $5 bucks.
Tonight I will roast the good old prime rib with potato a la Jamie Oliver, recipe here,
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bee ... -rosemary/
however we will not make Yorkshire pudding. Free rosemary from the garden.
Top it up with small cheesecake and passion fruit glazed dessert, the passion fruit is also from my garden. Gluten free all the way. All for a fraction of a cost of our usual NYE’s dinner at the Brazilian BBQ.
I also heat up the house at the same time. It’s cold here in Southern Cal, one of the few days or season that I can bake inside.
Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 »

While watching TV this afternoon I finally decided to deal with a fuzzy sounding bookshelf speaker that runs off our 26 year old Sony receiver .
Internet research told me to check speaker wire connections ,and also that my 18 gauge speaker wire is perfectly acceptable for
the short length speaker placement thatI have.
One hour and sore knees later, I re-did all my wire connections, while also shorting excess speaker wire I didn't need.
My system now sounds as fantastic as it did in 1992! :happy
NHcpa

Post by NHcpa »

I loaded 2T of wood pellets from the driveway to the basement. Feeling accomplished and a bit achey.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

Plymouth56 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:57 pm One hour and sore knees later, I re-did all my wire connections, while also shorting excess speaker wire I didn't need.
I really, really hope you mean shortening instead of shorting.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:29 pm Today I did not use the air conditioner.

Victoria
Excellent!

I did the same--and expect to continue to do so for at least the next week! :sharebeer
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

I hand shoveled the snow off the driveway vs calling a guy to plow it out Savins $35.00

I am going to regret it tomorrow :shock:
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

repeat
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I stayed nice and toasty in my home and did not go out to shop. It was -10 at 10:00 am.
Used netflix most of day while cleaning out some of my closets.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

DW and I decided to stay home for New Years Eve.

Mix our own cocktails, baby back ribs on the charcoal grill...........s/b fun and save a ton :moneybag
Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:05 pm
Plymouth56 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:57 pm One hour and sore knees later, I re-did all my wire connections, while also shorting excess speaker wire I didn't need.
I really, really hope you mean shortening instead of shorting.
Oops... That makes two of us :wink:
Texflier

Post by Texflier »

Had an urge to buy a new car but instead vacuumed and cleaned up my 2006 Toyota Highlander with 144k miles. Saved thousands. 8-)

Also reassessed monthly budget for 2018, cutting my eating out budget with the intention of cooking more at home (learning sous vide cooking and bought a smoker half price at HD last week).
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Ate leftovers.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

i used the back side of a sheet of paper.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
marc515

Post by marc515 »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:51 pm Being frugal should extend beyond your personal world. Maybe to resource use. So to take a longer shower purposely at the gym is not frugal at all. Frugal is about money but also about waste of a resource when it is not necessary. You don't do things because you can, you do them because you should.
I had to shower at the gym for too long a time this summer due to a too long bathroom redo.
When I saw others just standing there under the water for long after the showering part was over, I thought of them as wasters. I thought that at home they probably spent beyond their means. No thought to the future. Theirs or the planet.
There were teens there from the swim team standing under the shower from before I started unit after I left the locker room. You think they were taught frugality?
Maybe my definition of frugal eclipses the norm. But that is one way of looking at it.
Spending money unnecessarily, spending resources unnecessarily. Sound like one and the same.
Agree 100%. Frugal is not only frugal with one's money, but frugal with any and all resources, and saving the planet.
m
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:51 pm Being frugal should extend beyond your personal world. Maybe to resource use. So to take a longer shower purposely at the gym is not frugal at all. Frugal is about money but also about waste of a resource when it is not necessary. You don't do things because you can, you do them because you should.
I had to shower at the gym for too long a time this summer due to a too long bathroom redo.
When I saw others just standing there under the water for long after the showering part was over, I thought of them as wasters. I thought that at home they probably spent beyond their means. No thought to the future. Theirs or the planet.
There were teens there from the swim team standing under the shower from before I started unit after I left the locker room. You think they were taught frugality?
Maybe my definition of frugal eclipses the norm. But that is one way of looking at it.
Spending money unnecessarily, spending resources unnecessarily. Sound like one and the same.
You could have been more frugal with your post and just said “Short shower. Save planet.” Think of all the electricity and calories you could have saved the planet compared to your long post.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Picked up some road kill for dinner. No cost + helped clean up the enviroment. Killed 2 birds with one stone. :dollar
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

One kid who likes to take long shower left. :D
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:07 am i used the back side of a sheet of paper.
To do what?

Victoria
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

VictoriaF wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:00 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:07 am i used the back side of a sheet of paper.
To do what?

Victoria
I drew a sketch of a frog on the back side of a sketch of a tortoise. I think I need to make up my mind on the reptiles vs amphibians question for my next art project.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I was so tired after the entire day I slept without eating dinner. So I saved the cost of dinner. :D
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I rebooked on the exact hotel in Hawaii, my upcoming trip for 20% cheaper. I’ve been waiting for the new year to do that because I want to spend money in 2018 for a companion ticket.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Tonight I took 2 city buses and 3 Metro trains to LAX for $1.75. Took a while, and it's not a wonderful experience, but it's better than paying $35 for Uber or even $9-odd for the Flyaway bus.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Before I left my friends house today I went through the cusions of his couch for loose chain while he was in the tiolet. Found 77 cents. :twisted:
soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 »

timmy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:59 am I went online and passed harsh judgement on situations that I know little about.

I also jumped all over people I disagree with.

Felt so good ...
Now that made me laugh....