Ford Fusion under Safety Recall for 2 Years - Ford Can't Fix - help

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WolfgangPauli

Ford Fusion under Safety Recall for 2 Years - Ford Can't Fix - help

Post by WolfgangPauli » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 pm

I am hoping there is someone out there with experience in this or a good lawyer I can contact. In July of 2016 I was notified my Ford Fusion 2011 Hybrid had the infamous "Takata air bag" problem. In that recall It said do not have anyone sit in the front passenger seat - making the car a motorcycle essentially. Ridiculous.

Here it is December 2018 and they still do not have parts to repair it. A letter I received today said it will be the spring at the earliest for parts availability. In the meantime:
  • No one can sit in the front passenger seat making the car a "3 seater" and having the ridiculous situation where if my wife and I have to travel,
    someone has to sit in the front seat.
  • Making the car worthless - who would buy this - even a dealer would not take it.
  • Ford could care less.. no offer of compensation and no buy back of the car
So, any thoughts on what to do here. Ford is really a disgrace as it comes to this. The dealer tried to blame it on the supplier - I agree it is the supplier's fault but do they expect the consumer to certify the tier II and III suppliers? That is their problem.

Thoughts?
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

FraggleRock

Live Dangerously

Post by FraggleRock » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 pm

Join the club.
My 2007 Audi is the same.

Got the notice in Spring 2017.
Called. “Try again in October.”
Called today (28DEC2017). “Try again in the Spring.”
Last edited by FraggleRock on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WolfgangPauli

Re: Ford Fusion under Safety Recall for 2 Years - Ford Can't Fix - help

Post by WolfgangPauli » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 pm

Do you restrict people sitting in the front seat?

WolfgangPauli

Re: Live Dangerously

Post by WolfgangPauli » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 pm

FraggleRock wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 pm
Join the club.
My 2007 Audi is the same.
Sorry, I meant to quote you .. Do you restrict people from sitting in the front seat? What does Audi tell you?

FraggleRock

what is the worst that can happen?

Post by FraggleRock » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:23 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 pm
No.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:51 pm

I had both airbags recalled at different times on my Honda Fit. Honda gave me a rental car for about a month while waiting for the part for the drivers airbag.

When the passenger airbag recall happened they said just not to use the passenger seat and they would not provide a rental car. Just by coincidence I was having some minor knee surgery that would cause difficulty for a unknown period of time with getting in and out of the back seat of of the car when my wife was driving.

The dealership could not do anything but directed me towards a special 800 number for the recall. I called that 800 number and opened a case but they still did not want to give me a rental car. I had to really push and asked for a written denial of the rental car request(which they would not give me) and basically threatened to sue them if I was hurt by the airbag or getting in and out of the back seat. They relented and gave me a rental car because there was a medical need and they got the part for me in a few weeks. That was over a year ago though before Takata when into bankruptcy.

With the Honda Fit being a small car getting in and out of the back seat with a bad knee was a real concern so that was a real problem for me and not just something that I was making it up.

If you can by any chance come up with a plausable medical reason for you. or someone in your extended family, that using the back seat would be a problem then that could help get the work done faster.

It turned out that the knee surgery ended up going well so after a few days I was pretty mobile so it was not as bad as it could have been but by then I had the rental car.

There are also likely Ford specific message boards that you could post on to see what other people have done.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:48 am

That's really incredible. Why is there not a class action lawsuit?

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:03 am

Purely on principle I would at least send a letter directly to Ford threatening law suit within 14 days if not repaired, car bought back, or rental car provided for duration. And then file suit in small claims court if there is lack of positive response. The fundamental hassle factor to Ford in dealing with any legal proceeding will likely produce some action in your favor.

fposte

Post by fposte » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:59 am

mouses wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:48 am
That's really incredible. Why is there not a class action lawsuit?

There are several.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:32 am

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 pm
I do not restrict people sitting in the seat either on my 2010 car in a dry part of the country. Last data I found was about 12 deaths and 180 injuries attributed to Takata airbags in the US out of 70 million airbags in 42 million vehicles. The impacted vehicles have generally been older (early 2000s) and located in high humidity areas like the South. Huge amount of info on this on the internet so don't think you are alone. I can't speak to the specifics of the Fusion.

As you might expect dealer and manufacturer owned cars that need to be resold will get priority and probably so do people who complain a lot to the dealership. When this first started some dealers gave out loaner cars and you can bet the owners of those vehicles got repairs fast as parts became available. If you are ready to sell the car I would disclose the recall is pending and see what you can get. Don't assume you can't sell it. The used car market hasn't stopped as 42 million vehicles wait for repairs.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:15 am

I have 2006 Lincoln Zephr that is in the same situation. It has a bad passenger airbag and there is no date from Ford when or if they will ever replace the thing. The car has 86K miles so we have mostly stopped driving it when both of us needs to be in the car. We used to drive the car all summer and up to Tahoe and back and all over. But now we are restricted to my wife just using it around town in Phoenix. There is just no plan this year or next year or to ever fix the car. Basically Ford and Takata (I am not sure who is not working the issue) have dramatically devalued my car. The car used to be worth $7K and had a lot of utility as reliable nice transportation. Now I bet I cannot get $3K.

Plus the repair cycle seems to be dramatically tilted to Japanese cars. Hondas and other are getting fixed. Forget about the US cars. GRRRR...... :annoyed :annoyed

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:20 pm

That is ridiculous, I am no longer a Ford fan after dealing with their problematic transmissions.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

kerplunk

Post by kerplunk » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:26 pm

This is shameful.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:31 pm

What are the damages you suffered? Can you prove it? You could talk to an attorney but I doubt you will end up hiring one.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:38 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:31 pm
What are the damages you suffered? Can you prove it? You could talk to an attorney but I doubt you will end up hiring one.
Of course I have damages and of course I will not hire an attorney - practically, Ford will tie me up with $100K + in litigation costs for me to recoup $15K? Damages are simple. I bought a 5 seat car and only received a 4 seater. I am told I cannot use the front passenger seat indefinitely. Is that not a "damage"?

WolfgangPauli

UPDATE - Re: Ford Fusion under Safety Recall for 2 Years - Ford Can't Fix - help

Post by WolfgangPauli » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:40 am

On Friday, taking a flyer, I found the emails and wrote the executives of Ford. I received a response! I was told after Christmas I will be contacted by their "executive tier" Problem Resolution group. Not sure what that is however it sounds important. Let's see... Will keep everyone posted.

jebmke

Re: UPDATE - Re: Ford Fusion under Safety Recall for 2 Years - Ford Can't Fix - help

Post by jebmke » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:44 am

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:40 am
On Friday, taking a flyer, I found the emails and wrote the executives of Ford. I received a response! I was told after Christmas I will be contacted by their "executive tier" Problem Resolution group. Not sure what that is however it sounds important. Let's see... Will keep everyone posted.
could be the standard bedbug letter. Good luck.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Not to defend Ford, but this Takata issue has impacted just about every manufacturer (~68M airbags), and we're all waiting - just like you. Not sure it's very fair to call out Ford when I can point to every major make & there's people in my vicinity waiting for the exact same thing.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:24 pm

As others have mentioned, this is a problem afflicting 40-60 million car owners.

I've been waiting for 2-3 years as well. I am a member of several class action lawsuits, but I don't expect to ever see much more than a few dollars in compensation.

More info: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm
BH87

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:27 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:17 pm
Not to defend Ford, but this Takata issue has impacted just about every manufacturer (~68M airbags), and we're all waiting - just like you. Not sure it's very fair to call out Ford when I can point to every major make & there's people in my vicinity waiting for the exact same thing.
My son's Honda had the issue and it was fixed over 1 year ago... This is all about Ford delaying... I am fine with the fact they cannot fix it.. but they should be required to provide some type of compensation. Give me an extra few thousand on a trade and take the thing back. They have an obligation to provide compensation for a product which can not be used as intended. Very disheartening especially because Honda was able to fix it pretty quickly.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:28 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 pm
Here it is December 2018 and they still do not have parts to repair it.
It is?? :happy

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:32 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:24 pm
As others have mentioned, this is a problem afflicting 40-60 million car owners.

I've been waiting for 2-3 years as well. I am a member of several class action lawsuits, but I don't expect to ever see much more than a few dollars in compensation.

More info: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm
When reading the timeline it certainly looks like Honda is doing a much better and more proactive job than Ford. I also know some car companies have provided rental compensation etc. The issue is not that there is a recall. The issue is Ford is providing no alternative compensation or mitigation. Every year now I get the "F U" letter from Ford telling me the car is still under recall, they have no fix and I am not to use the passenger driver side seat.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 pm

We got a similar recall notice for one of our Toyotas and the dealer replaced the pax airbag this summer.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Ricola wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 pm
We got a similar recall notice for one of our Toyotas and the dealer replaced the pax airbag this summer.
That has been my experience... somehow Toyota and Honda figured it out.. Ford can't seem to figure it out

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:44 pm
Ricola wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:41 pm
That has been my experience... somehow Toyota and Honda figured it out.. Ford can't seem to figure it out
I think 10 out of the 12 deaths so far were in Honda vehicles, and they are rated as having a 50% chance of failure.

So it makes sense that they would get priority.
BH87

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Got my 04 Outback inflator done last Friday. This is the first I've heard about Ford being involved. I have an 09 Fusion. No letter even.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm confused, is the idea to remove the airbag until a new one is available? It would seem that it would be a hazard no matter where someone is sitting in the car.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:38 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:05 pm
I'm confused, is the idea to remove the airbag until a new one is available? It would seem that it would be a hazard no matter where someone is sitting in the car.
The way I understand it, it's not the airbag, it's the igniter or launcher, so to speak. Depending on how they are placed, they can launch metal particles directly into the space they are intended to protect. And the metal particles get there before the airbag....
BH87

Post by 123 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:56 pm

I'd be very tempted to picket the dealership on weekends (when they have the most new car customers probably) and/or park the car right in front of the dealership with signage that says Ford can't fix their own cars. Squeaky wheels get greased.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:32 am

tibbitts wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:05 pm
Apparently when no one is sitting in the front seat (no weight, so I suppose if you had a backpack or something on the seat it may put you at risk) the airbag turns off so it will not deploy - even in an accident. That is why they do not want you to have anyone in the front seat.

zoneinfo

Post by zoneinfo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 am

WolfgangPauli wrote:
  • Making the car worthless - who would buy this - even a dealer would not take it.
I think you're overreacting a bit on this point. Like almost every car built those years, my last Subaru had the same air bag recall (unfixed). I traded the car in when I bought a Prius 2 years ago. The airbag recall never came up during the trade in at the dealership;

Runner01

Post by Runner01 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:48 am

My wife’s Honda had the passenger airbag recalled and they told her not to let anyone sit in the front seat for a few months while the part was on order. She told them she drives clients around and it would be ridiculous for them to sit in the back so after a lot of back and forth they gave her a loaner for a few months. Maybe you could try that?

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:55 pm

zoneinfo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 am
WolfgangPauli wrote:
I think you're overreacting a bit on this point. Like almost every car built those years, my last Subaru had the same air bag recall (unfixed). I traded the car in when I bought a Prius 2 years ago. The airbag recall never came up during the trade in at the dealership;
And that makes the entire episode even sadder.. the only reason they would take it (assuming they did not discount it or over price the new car) is because they knew they could pawn it off to an unsuspecting chump who is real happy to get a used Subaru and then will find out they are driving a problem car. This is a known problem with dealers: https://www.cars.com/articles/why-can-d ... 692279841/

Sad.. it is against the law to rent a car to someone when the rental has a known defect but a dealer can sell it.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:30 pm
Got my 04 Outback inflator done last Friday. This is the first I've heard about Ford being involved. I have an 09 Fusion. No letter even.
I have a 2010 Fusion and I checked online and my car was not affected. Ford may have switched airbag vendors.

You can check your car by VIN number for recalls here.

westie

Post by westie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 pm

My son drove his Honda into the dealership with two car seats in the back. He was in a rental that day. 4 weeks later his car was returned fixed.

rob

Post by rob » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:12 pm

I didn't know this was an ongoing thing (living under a rock I guess).... Why not just disconnect the affected airbag?? It's stupid not to be able to use a car and it's not like there are still not a lot of cars with no airbags.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

just frank

Post by just frank » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:21 pm

Can't you have a mechanic disable the existing airbag by disconnecting the wire harness, to avoid the risk of shrapnel? Then passengers wear a seat belt and are safe.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 am

just frank wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:21 pm
Can't you have a mechanic disable the existing airbag by disconnecting the wire harness, to avoid the risk of shrapnel? Then passengers wear a seat belt and are safe.
If you want to disable the passenger side airbag, an easier DIY way is to jumper the seat sensor so that the airbag thinks there's no passenger and is always disabled.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:46 am

cherijoh wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:48 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:30 pm
I have a 2010 Fusion and I checked online and my car was not affected. Ford may have switched airbag vendors.

You can check your car by VIN number for recalls here.
Thanks much. I ran the VIN and it shows zero open recalls. I guess our car didn't use the Takata inflators.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:47 am

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 am
just frank wrote:
If you want to disable the passenger side airbag, an easier DIY way is to jumper the seat sensor so that the airbag thinks there's no passenger and is always disabled.
Older cars didn't use a seat sensor. I know our Subaru didn't.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:47 am
neilpilot wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 am
just frank wrote:
Older cars didn't use a seat sensor. I know our Subaru didn't.
Who is talking about older cars? This thread is about the OP's Ford Fusion 2011 Hybrid, which certainly does have a sensor.

jdilla1107

Post by jdilla1107 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:21 pm

The Ford dealer near me fixed mine on the same day I called. This was over a year ago though. Is there another Ford dealer you can try contacting?

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:38 pm

jdilla1107 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:21 pm
The Ford dealer near me fixed mine on the same day I called. This was over a year ago though. Is there another Ford dealer you can try contacting?
What did he fix it with? Are you sure we are discussing the Takata air bags? Are you sure it cleared out the recall? According to Ford's own letter and the NHTSA website "Ford does not have a fix for this problem yet and parts will not be available until spring 2018 at the earliest."

I would double and triple check your repair. I am willing to bet either 1) We are discussing two different things or 2) he did not fix it properly.

jdilla1107

Post by jdilla1107 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:38 pm
jdilla1107 wrote:
What did he fix it with? Are you sure we are discussing the Takata air bags? Are you sure it cleared out the recall? According to Ford's own letter and the NHTSA website "Ford does not have a fix for this problem yet and parts will not be available until spring 2018 at the earliest."

I would double and triple check your repair. I am willing to bet either 1) We are discussing two different things or 2) he did not fix it properly.
It looks like Mustangs are different for whatever reason. (I have a mustang)

From Ford website:

"We do have parts available for some vehicles. We have a permanent repair in place for 2005-2014 Mustang driver-side and 2005-2006 Ford GT driver-side airbag inflator recalls. We also have limited replacement inflators for other vehicles included in Takata recalls in the highest risk areas, as an interim repair. In those cases, the inflator will need to be replaced again when a permanent repair is available. For other Takata airbag inflator-related recalls, development of a permanent repair is in process. We are working with our suppliers to receive parts as quickly as possible."

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/ma ... calls.html

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:38 pm

jdilla1107 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 pm
WolfgangPauli wrote:
jdilla1107 wrote:

From Ford website:

"We do have parts available for some vehicles. We have a permanent repair in place for 2005-2014 Mustang driver-side and 2005-2006 Ford GT driver-side airbag inflator recalls. We also have limited replacement inflators for other vehicles included in Takata recalls in the highest risk areas, as an interim repair. In those cases, the inflator will need to be replaced again when a permanent repair is available. For other Takata airbag inflator-related recalls, development of a permanent repair is in process. We are working with our suppliers to receive parts as quickly as possible."

more margin on mustangs than on fusions :)

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:16 pm

jdilla1107 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 pm
WolfgangPauli wrote:
jdilla1107 wrote:

From Ford website:

Yes, my Mustang's DRIVER's side was repaired right away, several years ago. But I'm still waiting for the passenger side repair.
BH87

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:10 pm

There's a new law in TN that's somewhat relevant to this thread:

People will not be allowed to buy used cars that have been recalled until the dealer has fixed the issue. And after 30 days of waiting for a repair part, the manufacturer will have to pay the dealer 1 percent monthly of the car’s trade-in value while the car isn’t allowed to be sold.

I'm uncertain, but assume that a private sale is exempt from this sales ban.

jeffG

Post by jeffG » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:34 pm

This recall has been a total cluster, with the number of units involved and takatas bankruptcy. I seriously doubt Ford is delaying fixing cars on purpose. The federal government is involved in virtually every step in the process and no company thinks killing customers is a good business model. Takata in no way can produce enough parts for a recall of this magnitude, so I assume all the auto companies are scrambling to get parts. If a car happens to be dual sourced for an air bag (two suppliers for same part), they may be able to get parts quicker. If not, it takes time to tool up and verify a new supplier. Honda got a jump start as they had some of the early deaths, and they may be dual supplied.

blessedsuccess

Post by blessedsuccess » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Hello,

Did you not get a notification that Ford has to put you in a rental car until they fix the problem. I took my letter to the dealership I bought the car from and they filled out some form and sent me to enterprise. So instead of my 2010 100,000 mile fusion, I am cruising around town in a completely complimentary 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK. It's awesome. And I was told it will likely be at least 3 - 6 mths before it's fixed. Take your time Ford. I'm having fun. They have not yet been able to figure out how to fix this issue so it hasn't been engineered yet let alone ready for production. Contact your dealer as you are entitled to a rental.

Blessings,

Sandy

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:30 pm

WolfgangPauli wrote:
I am hoping there is someone out there with experience in this or a good lawyer I can contact. In July of 2016 I was notified my Ford Fusion 2011 Hybrid had the infamous "Takata air bag" problem. In that recall It said do not have anyone sit in the front passenger seat - making the car a motorcycle essentially. Ridiculous.

Here it is December 2018 and they still do not have parts to repair it. A letter I received today said it will be the spring at the earliest for parts availability. In the meantime:
  • No one can sit in the front passenger seat making the car a "3 seater" and having the ridiculous situation where if my wife and I have to travel,
    someone has to sit in the front seat.
  • Ford could care less.. no offer of compensation and no buy back of the car
So, any thoughts on what to do here. Ford is really a disgrace as it comes to this. The dealer tried to blame it on the supplier - I agree it is the supplier's fault but do they expect the consumer to certify the tier II and III suppliers? That is their problem.

Thoughts?
OP, I tell this story hoping that there will soon be light at the end of your airbag tunnel. Approximately two years ago, we received a safety notice from Ford regarding the front passenger airbag in our 2011 Ranger which, along with our F-250, was purchased primarily for use in our little farming operation. About a year ago, a second notice arrived, advising that we were not to allow anyone to sit in the front passenger seat because of the airbag inflator's potential for serious bodily injury or worse and, yes, there have been multiple instances of that "worse" thing having occurred. My research indicated that the injuries inflicted by these exploding inflators have actually been severe and I concluded that the potential for serious injury was not to be taken lightly: therefore, I could not in good conscience allow another to occupy that seat, nor could I sell the vehicle with having fully disclosed the deficiency and potential for harm.

Now, as you may be aware, the Ford Ranger is a two passenger vehicle so that my little truck, by far the most frequently used of the two, was now a one passenger vehicle. That got pretty old after a short while. I'm sure that you, of all people, can imagine my frustration as I dealt with the runaround, even out right lies, dished up by Ford month after month. Ford refused to provide a replacement vehicle for the interim; indeed, they've made it especially difficult to even get beyond their recorded message re the recall and speak to a live person.

About two months ago, I received a letter from Ford that the replacement parts were available and that all I had to do was to call the local dealer and, presto, they'd promptly get me back on the road. I also was able to speak with a Ford rep who assured me that the part was now available to the dealers. I suspect that it won't surprise you to know that this ended up being more of the Ford stall and that the part was most definitely not yet available to the dealer, who had already repeatedly promised to contact me as soon as they could get the part.

Finally, about 2 weeks ago, the dealer called to let me know that my part was in. I was there when they opened their doors the next morning and they replaced the inflator in less than an hour. I just wanted to let you know that it can actually happen. Best of luck!