Aprilaire Humidifier

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RMO87

Aprilaire Humidifier

Post by RMO87 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:09 am

My house humidifier doesn't seem to be getting water to the unit. The model is a 600A that is running in the manual mode. The water line is definitely turned on and I just replaced the solenoid valve, thinking that was the culprit. Is there anything else that might need to be checked?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

wornout

Re: Aprilaire Humidifier

Post by wornout » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:25 am

It could be clogged. I have hard water and regularly need to turn off water supply, disconnect the line at the unit, then clear the small hole with a needle.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:41 am

When I bought my old house, the water pad had not been changed for a while and the hard water had left so much mineral deposits on the water pad that it was essentially a solid brick. What is the condition of the water pad?

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:44 am

When you adjust the humidistat (dial) up and down, do you hear a not-so-faint click? Perhaps the solenoid isn't getting power and isn't opening.
People often hate what they fear

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:07 am

I always start by unhooking the hose, turning the dial (increasing humidity until you hear it click) and see if you have water coming out. If not, then you have a clog somewhere along the line. The culprit is generally the cheap saddle valve that most installers use to connect to one of your existing water lines. They use a needle to poke the hole in your line and because it is such a small hole, it is easy to clog up with debris. I generally always replace mine with a ball valve and appropriate fittings.

Sometimes I've seen people who claim they weren't getting water but actually were. Their filter was installed upside down. Most have a painted dot on one end indicating the top side. If you get them upside down, water essentially runs through them in a stream and can be difficult to see other than you see water exiting the line to the floor drain. Right side up, the filter spreads the water out to catch more air and thus is much easier to see.

RMO87

Post by RMO87 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 am

Well, I turn the dial, but don't hear any clicks. Hmmm, I'm thinking that it could be something electrical in the humidistat. Especially since a transistor of some sort had to be added (by a trained professional) to convert my Aprilaire 600A ('A' for automatic) to manual mode. I'd just hate to pay for a service call to have them come out to fix their potential mistake!

Ryan

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:29 am

I'm having the same exact problem right now. I have a voltmeter on the way so I can first test a light switch that seems to have gone bad in our spare bedroom. Last night in the freezing cold, I had to fix a garage door roller that had come off track. Home ownership is grand!

If I'm able to remedy my issue I will report back with results.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:46 am

RMO87 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 am
Well, I turn the dial, but don't hear any clicks. Hmmm, I'm thinking that it could be something electrical in the humidistat. Especially since a transistor of some sort had to be added (by a trained professional) to convert my Aprilaire 600A ('A' for automatic) to manual mode. I'd just hate to pay for a service call to have them come out to fix their potential mistake!

Ryan
Simple to troubleshoot your humidistat. Simply remove the cover to expose the 2 wires, connect an OHM meter and measure the resistance as your adjust the humidity setting. The resistance should go to zero as the control calls for water. You can test the resistance at the control or at your 600A. If the resistance does not go to zero, then you can also jumper the wires (at either location) to confirm that the 600A goes on.

BTW the humidistat I'm familiar with has humidity settings and also an ON position. I have several good used controls; PM if you want more information.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:15 am

My April Air 760 has the humidity level too high...55 to 62%. It kicks out the same amount of moisture whether the dial is set at 15 or at 40. So the issue is probably the humidistat, but I do hear a faint click. But since the entire unit is about 20 years old, I'm thinking for replacing the whole think.
I like the concept of a humidistat where a % of humidity can be set. My furnace is in an unheated basement. Could the control be placed on the main level, possibly replacing my honeywell heating control unit with a combination unit?

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 am

Swansea wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:15 am
My April Air 760 has the humidity level too high...55 to 62%. It kicks out the same amount of moisture whether the dial is set at 15 or at 40. So the issue is probably the humidistat, but I do hear a faint click. But since the entire unit is about 20 years old, I'm thinking for replacing the whole think.
I like the concept of a humidistat where a % of humidity can be set. My furnace is in an unheated basement. Could the control be placed on the main level, possibly replacing my honeywell heating control unit with a combination unit?
Sounds like you have a different model, but mine takes the indoor humidity level from inside the duct. The fact that the basement is different doesn't matter as far as I know.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:00 am

I had a similar problem. As others have mentioned, clogs in line. HOWEVER, the problem I encountered was after the solenoid and in a small screen. I could fell the warm water going in the copper tubing, but none in humidifier.

I finally found online a reference to using a sewing needle to clean the hole in filter after the solenoid. I had been focusing on the inlet to the solenoid. After a few tries that was the solution.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:13 pm

Swansea wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:15 am
My Honeywell H808B1079 Humidifier Humidity Control (Humidistat) is mounted in the living area just above the thermostat. It requires 2 wires in addition to the wiring that goes to the thermostat. It can be set to a specific % humidity in the 10%-50% range, and also has an ON setting. I have a couple of spare used controls; PM if you have an interest.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Just self diagnosed a solenoid problem on my AprilAire humidifier yesterday Solenoid not activating when humidistat calls. 24 volt good so ordered solenoid for approximately $35 on Amazon.

It's in a tight spot so used my phone with flash to take a good picture with part number, voltage and orifice size.

sailor18

Post by sailor18 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:34 am

I don't hear the click when I turn my Aprilaire humidistat from the off to on. The previous owner attached some type of transformer to the wall outlet to provide 24v to the Aprilaire. This transformer is then wired to the humidistat.

How can I test the transformer to see if it is sending power to the humidistat? Assuming this is ok, how can I then test the humidistat to see if it is sending power to the solenoid? I suspect my problem is before the solenoid - either the transformer isn't sending power to the humidistat or the humidistat isn't working properly. Thanks!

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:41 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:13 pm
My Honeywell H808B1079 Humidifier Humidity Control (Humidistat) is mounted in the living area just above the thermostat. It requires 2 wires in addition to the wiring that goes to the thermostat. It can be set to a specific % humidity in the 10%-50% range, and also has an ON setting. I have a couple of spare used controls; PM if you have an interest.
Does changing the desired humidity actually change anything? I have a Honeywell Humidistat and nothing I do can get the humidity up above about 30 or 35. And it is often lower if it is cold. I'm wondering if the thing is wired wrong.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:56 am

I personally wouldn't want my house higher than 35% in winter, especially with it as cold as it is right now.

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/wha ... -in-winter

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:05 pm

runner9 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:56 am
I personally wouldn't want my house higher than 35% in winter, especially with it as cold as it is right now.

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/wha ... -in-winter
I think I'd be more comfortable at 40% but guess I could be happy if it stayed at 35% like it is supposed to. But it doesn't, even with the whole house humidifier and another small room humidifier going all the time. Grumble.....

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:19 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:41 am
neilpilot wrote:
Does changing the desired humidity actually change anything? I have a Honeywell Humidistat and nothing I do can get the humidity up above about 30 or 35. And it is often lower if it is cold. I'm wondering if the thing is wired wrong.
Yes, it does. However no matter how high you set the humidity control, it simply acts as a switch to turn the water delivery on. If you set the humidity high, so that the humidifier is activated full time, the actual room humidity will only rise to the maximum output capacity of your Aprilaire.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:25 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:19 pm
retiredjg wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
Yes, it does. However no matter how high you set the humidity control, it simply acts as a switch to turn the water delivery on. If you set the humidity high, so that the humidifier is activated full time, the actual room humidity will only rise to the maximum output capacity of your Aprilaire.
I don't have an Aprilaire, but a different brand. I do have a Honeywell humidistat and wondering if something is amiss. Changing the humidity setting does absolutely nothing that I can see. Thanks for the information.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:07 am
I always start by unhooking the hose, turning the dial (increasing humidity until you hear it click) and see if you have water coming out. If not, then you have a clog somewhere along the line. ...
Not necessarily. It could be the solenoid not getting power or a bad solenoid. Some systems have power from the furnace that is only on when the furnace fan is running.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:53 am

retiredjg wrote:
Mine does and it is easy to verify using a Nest Thermostat which measures humidity. In the early winter months, my house will get up to 40% because there is still ambient moisture in the air. However without changing the dial, the humidity in my house these past two days has been around 25% with the heater running almost constantly to counter the -21 F outside. If I were to turn it off, the humidity would quickly fall into the single digits.

Whole house humidifiers add much needed moisture to a house but they would have to be several magnitude bigger to keep humidity up above 35% especially during the coldest parts of the year when there isn't a lot of unfrozen moisture in the outside air.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:26 am

I spent Saturday morning getting my Aprilaire whole house humidifier working. After testing the solenoid and confirming it was getting power and working correctly, I was able to figure out the issue was with water supply. Mine is plumbed off a supply line that runs to the hot water heater. It utilizes a saddle valve that directs water from that supply line to the humidifier. It turns out the hole that was drilled in the water line where the saddle valve is connected had become clogged. I dislodged the clog, but then whatever sediment I'd dislodged wound up clogging the orifice that is located on the output side of the solenoid. I cleared this clog and now the humidifier is working as it should and supplying water to the filter.

The issue I'm having now is that it has done absolutely nothing over the last 4 days to actually raise the humidity in my home. Like nothing at all. Humidity is still at 23%. I have a feeling I'm going to wind up turning it off because all it's doing is costing me money in wasted water.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 am

daheld wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:26 am
The issue I'm having now is that it has done absolutely nothing over the last 4 days to actually raise the humidity in my home. Like nothing at all. Humidity is still at 23%. I have a feeling I'm going to wind up turning it off because all it's doing is costing me money in wasted water.
I would not give up quite yet. Remember that all the wood and fabric in your home are depleted of water and having to absorb moisture again. But I'd agree that 4 days is a long time. :(

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:09 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 am
daheld wrote:
I would not give up quite yet. Remember that all the wood and fabric in your home are depleted of water and having to absorb moisture again. But I'd agree that 4 days is a long time. :(
Yeah, I was sort of thinking the same thing, though I do think it should've increased somewhat.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:16 pm

daheld wrote:
By chance are you in the Midwest where there is an absolute void of any moisture outside due to the cold air? My house with whole house humidifier pegged to max currently is achieving only 25% moisture which is typical during the coldest months of the year. When it is closer to fall and spring when there is more ambient moisture outside, it can get it up around 40% humidity and I have to reduce the setting to prevent it from getting too humid.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:43 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:16 pm
daheld wrote:
By chance are you in the Midwest where there is an absolute void of any moisture outside due to the cold air? My house with whole house humidifier pegged to max currently is achieving only 25% moisture which is typical during the coldest months of the year. When it is closer to fall and spring when there is more ambient moisture outside, it can get it up around 40% humidity and I have to reduce the setting to prevent it from getting too humid.
Indeed I am. I'm going to leave this thing running this winter and I'll see how it does once it warms up. We got snow over a week ago and it's still on the ground, which is not really common here. It's been well below 20 degrees for almost entirely the last 2 weeks or so. It is bitterly cold with absolutely no moisture in the air. We'll see how it does once it warms up.

I'm located in a part of the country where you need a whole house humidifier and a de-humidifier so your basement doesn't mold!

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:52 pm

daheld wrote:
it has done absolutely nothing over the last 4 days to actually raise the humidity in my home.
Sorry for the obvious comment, but for those that have a WINTER /SUMMER setting on their humidifier. Make sure it's in the WINTER position so air flows through the wet membrane. The picture below shows it in the summer position - the selector in this picture should be HORIZONTAL to be in the winter position.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:52 pm
daheld wrote:
it has done absolutely nothing over the last 4 days to actually raise the humidity in my home.
Sorry for the obvious comment, but for those that have a WINTER /SUMMER setting on their humidifier. Make sure it's in the WINTER position so air flows through the wet membrane. The picture below shows it in the summer position - the selector in this picture should be HORIZONTAL to be in the winter position.

No offense taken. We've all done stuff like that. I'm fairly handy and definitely have. This time, not so much. Everything is working properly and all settings are as they should be. Now just waiting for some humidity. :P

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:02 pm

daheld wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm
Now just waiting for some humidity. :P
You could also switch the fan from AUTO to ON on your thermostat to increase the total time that air is flowing over the wet membrane. It may cool down the house by increasing the heat transfer due to convection.

You should also look for slight condensation around window corners. Not too much but some since your humidistat may not be working properly.
Last edited by HoosierJim on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm

I really haven't thought this through, so maybe this isn't a good idea (or it's already been discussed). If you switch your HVAC fan to ON, the furnace will continue to cycle to control temperature. But won't the humidifier supply moisture full time, unless the Humidistat switches the water supply off?

Edit: I really did think of this on my own :D