Any Instant Pot users here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: Any Instant Pot users here?

Post by stoptothink » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Hug401k wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:24 pm
I mostly make homemade chicken broth in mine.
My wife purchased one this past summer when we found an amazing deal (about half the current price) on this monster https://www.amazon.com/GoWISE-USA-GW226 ... B01LVZY19H. We use a crockpot A LOT and it just wasn't big enough for the large amounts of broth we want for soups. We use the pressure cooker to cook two whole chickens and then broth, which we use for our homemade soup. We've also done the same thing with some cheap bone-in pork roasts. Dinner for our entire family of 4 for a week, in about 3hrs for ~$10-$12 total. So far that is pretty much the only thing we've used it for, it's actually spent a lot more time at my brother's house (he loves to cook).

CABob

Post by CABob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:51 pm

I see that a number of posters have mentioned using the instant pot for hard boiled eggs. I have been using an egg cooker similar to this one an like it very well. It also makes soft boiled eggs and the eggs seem to peel very easily and am wondering how the instant pot compares. Do you have to pierce the egg shell prior to cooking? I assume you would. I can do 6 hard boiled eggs in about 19 minutes.
Bob

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:56 am

CABob wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:51 pm
I see that a number of posters have mentioned using the instant pot for hard boiled eggs. I have been using an egg cooker similar to this one an like it very well. It also makes soft boiled eggs and the eggs seem to peel very easily and am wondering how the instant pot compares. Do you have to pierce the egg shell prior to cooking? I assume you would. I can do 6 hard boiled eggs in about 19 minutes.
You don't need to pierce the shells. I cook 10-12 at a time. I set it for 6 minutes, but with the pressurizing and releasing, it takes about 15 minutes.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 am

baconavocado wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:19 pm
We won't be buying one because we like good food, we have respect for food, and we like to cook.

If you're on the fence about buying one, ask yourself this question: how many high quality restaurants will be preparing their food in an instant pot? The answer is none.
We like good food, have respect for animals and plants, and like to cook, too. But we love our instant pot. Have you tasted a frozen chicken breast cooked in an instant pot? Dr. Nathan Myhrvold spent considerable time discussing pressure cookers in his Modernist Cuisine cookbook(s). Have you read the Home version? I'd love to learn more how we are being disrespectful to our food!

I've never cared how high quality restaurants prepare their food. We go for the quality part.
Don't Work Forever.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:37 am

Yukon wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:49 am
baconavocado wrote:
We won't be buying one because we like good food, we have respect for food, and we like to cook.

If you're on the fence about buying one, ask yourself this question: how many high quality restaurants will be preparing their food in an instant pot? The answer is none.
We like good food, have respect for animals and plants, and like to cook, too. But we love our instant pot. Have you tasted a frozen chicken breast cooked in an instant pot? Dr. Nathan Myhrvold spent considerable time discussing pressure cookers in his Modernist Cuisine cookbook(s). Have you read the Home version? I'd love to learn more how we are being disrespectful to our food!

I've never cared how high quality restaurants prepare their food. We go for the quality part.
The wife and I actually enjoy watching cooking shows (even though neither enjoy cooking or the "experience" of food), but as soon as we hear a statement from one of these pretentious chefs, like "respect the ingredients," we turn it off. I can't even take someone seriously who speaks like that.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:57 am

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:37 am
Yukon wrote:
baconavocado wrote:

The wife and I actually enjoy watching cooking shows (even though neither enjoy cooking or the "experience" of food), but as soon as we hear a statement from one of these pretentious chefs, like "respect the ingredients," we turn it off. I can't even take someone seriously who speaks like that.
I find it fascinating that respecting the ingredients is enough of a thing that it influences one to never use an instant pot. Hopefully, baconavocado can chime in with the counter argument why I'm doing it all wrong. :sharebeer I can't fathom the context....Is it because the higher pressure is like an assault of sorts?
Don't Work Forever.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:55 am

bungalow10 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 am
fishandgolf wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 am
bungalow10 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:03 am
fishandgolf wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 am

One thing that troubles me a bit is....cleaning the cover. The design of the inside of the cover appears that it might trap moisture and therefore, a place for bacteria. Has this been a problem for those of you that own one?
The pot itself is stainless and easy to clean. There is a hard silicon ring on the inside that can get a food smell if not cleaned properly - but it comes off entirely, is dishwasher safe, and you can buy replacements on Amazon.
If I recall, there is a vent screen on the underside-top of the cover (must be for venting stream). I see that as an area that will trap moisture and moisture = bacteria. Can the entire cover be put into the dish washer?
I think it can. I know it can be submerged, and taken apart.
In follow-up to my question earlier in the week with regard to putting the cover in the dishwasher, I did contact the company, and here is their reply:

Thanks for your question about cleaning your lid.

The lid is considered top-rack dishwasher safe. We recommend removing small parts (steam release, float valve and anti-block shield (the small vent screen you see)) so that they do not get lost or damaged. These can be washed or rinsed separately. You may leave the silicone sealing ring on the lid while you use the dishwasher.

If you are concerned about bacteria, you simply have to make sure that the lid is well-dried with a towel or allowed to air-dry. Likewise, allow the small parts to air dry before you re-assemble the lid. Please make sure the lid and all of it's parts are completely dry before you put them away for storage. Our concern is less about bacterial growth (as bacteria have a hard time growing on the metal), and more about rusting. Our metal pieces are rust-resistant, but not rust-proof.

The lid and it's components can also be hand-washed.

I hope that helps!

Amy

Amy C.
Instant Pot Technician
Instant Pot Company,
http://instantpot.com/
Customer Service

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Yukon wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:57 am
stoptothink wrote:
Yukon wrote:
baconavocado wrote:

I find it fascinating that respecting the ingredients is enough of a thing that it influences one to never use an instant pot. Hopefully, baconavocado can chime in with the counter argument why I'm doing it all wrong. :sharebeer I can't fathom the context....Is it because the higher pressure is like an assault of sorts?
The appeal of these slow cookers, pressure cookers, whatever the latest sensation, is that you throw a bunch of food in a pot, cover it, turn it on, and get the heck out of the kitchen (back to watching TV or whatever). Then you come back later and your food is cooked - no fussing, no watching, no tasting. Inevitably, some ingredients get over cooked and maybe some get under cooked, but MOST get overcooked. It's quick! you've got heat AND pressure, and you've got plenty of moisture so you might not notice things are overcooked.

I don't disagree that these appliances are good for cooking a few things - dry beans, rice, etc. - but most of the "meals" you cook are going to be a moist mass of overcooked and probably bland goo. That's why a good restaurant will not cook food this way. That's my opinion. I'd welcome testimonials from anyone who walked into the kitchen of fine restaurant and found one of these.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:53 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:48 pm
The appeal of these slow cookers, pressure cookers, whatever the latest sensation, is that you throw a bunch of food in a pot, cover it, turn it on, and get the heck out of the kitchen (back to watching TV or whatever). Then you come back later and your food is cooked - no fussing, no watching, no tasting. Inevitably, some ingredients get over cooked and maybe some get under cooked, but MOST get overcooked. It's quick! you've got heat AND pressure, and you've got plenty of moisture so you might not notice things are overcooked.

I don't disagree that these appliances are good for cooking a few things - dry beans, rice, etc. - but most of the "meals" you cook are going to be a moist mass of overcooked and probably bland goo. That's why a good restaurant will not cook food this way. That's my opinion. I'd welcome testimonials from anyone who walked into the kitchen of fine restaurant and found one of these.
I agree that it's easy to over cook items in slow cookers and pressure cookers. It's also easy to over cook items on the stove top, oven and grill. I'd mostly agree with your sloppy food prep sentiment until eating from a correctly utilized instant pot and reading Modernist Cuisine at Home cookbook. Check out that book for some 486 pages of chef testimonial on the fascinating science behind all types of cooking including pressure cooking, sous vide, etc. Those chef authors certainly don't restrict their food prep options!
Don't Work Forever.

aqan

Post by aqan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Lol. Is it only me who thought it was a new kind of POT.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:56 pm

There are tons of cookbooks for the Instant Pot.
Any suggestions for the best 2 or 3 of them?
j :D

harrington

Post by harrington » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 pm

aqan wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:05 pm
Nope I did too :oops:

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Yukon wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:53 pm

I agree that it's easy to over cook items in slow cookers and pressure cookers. It's also easy to over cook items on the stove top, oven and grill. I'd mostly agree with your sloppy food prep sentiment until eating from a correctly utilized instant pot and reading Modernist Cuisine at Home cookbook. Check out that book for some 486 pages of chef testimonial on the fascinating science behind all types of cooking including pressure cooking, sous vide, etc. Those chef authors certainly don't restrict their food prep options!
I'll check back with you in 3 years to see if you're still using it and still enthusiastic about it. Until then, bon appetit!

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:12 pm

DW has cooked eggs, spare ribs, short ribs, whole chicken, making broth, etc. since last Thanksgiving. It is well used, especially eggs on a weekly basis, cheap, healthy and fast protein.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:13 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:00 pm
Yukon wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:53 pm

I'll check back with you in 3 years to see if you're still using it and still enthusiastic about it. Until then, bon appetit!
This isn't some new idea. People have been using pressure cookers for decades, just not electric ones. I am not totally sold on it being "worth it" for us, but my wife bought one and we use it (and with great results); I certainly don't understand your vitriol towards them.

aqan

Post by aqan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:13 pm

harrington wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 pm
aqan wrote:
would have been great to see a pot thread on BH. :D :D

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:07 am

My Japanese-American wife agreed to give the Instant Pot a try and put the rice cooker away. This was a major concession, as we've had a rice cooker on our kitchen counter for the 30+ years we've been married.

Although we like the Instant Pot, we still haven't found the magic combination of water/rice proportion and time to make the rice turn out like we used to get every single time with the rice cooker. DW isn't demanding her rice cooker back out of storage, but she isn't quite happy yet. Any suggestions?

Jacotus

Post by Jacotus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:15 am

Horsefly wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:07 am
Although we like the Instant Pot, we still haven't found the magic combination of water/rice proportion and time to make the rice turn out like we used to get every single time with the rice cooker. DW isn't demanding her rice cooker back out of storage, but she isn't quite happy yet. Any suggestions?
Use both? Or is space that much of an issue?

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:17 am

Horsefly wrote:
My Japanese-American wife agreed to give the Instant Pot a try and put the rice cooker away. This was a major concession, as we've had a rice cooker on our kitchen counter for the 30+ years we've been married.

You might actually want to keep using the rice cooker for rice. If not for the quality that you seem to prefer, just to reduce use cycle life on the INstant pot. I know they're supposed to be built for day in day out use, but I've killed 3 fairly high end rice cookers and other electrical appliances with extended use, enough so that I'm ok with having less expensive dedicated things for very common cooking tasks like a rice cooker (if you eat a lot of rice.)

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Beezthree wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:57 am
I have been thinking of purchasing an Instant Pot for a few different reasons. Mostly ease of use/cleanup and time saving qualities. BUT, I can't quite pull the trigger and was hoping Bogleheads could help me out. Namely two questions:

1)how does the majority of food turn out? The low price has me a bit worried there is a downside to it and I'm half-guessing it comes in the form of bland food. (I've never used a pressure cooker, so this may be a silly question)

2)are they built to last? Again, the price has me worried the electronics are cheaply made and I'd have to buy a new one every year or so.

Any recommendations or complaints about it?

Any EASY recipes anyone wanting to share? :sharebeer

Thanks!
I have and love the Instant Pot. But is it for you? If your tastes run to steak, broiled fish, and pizza...then probably not. If you do invest in one and hate it, you can sell it so someone, perhaps at a small discount, and hardly lose any money.

I know. I was gifted an extra one and sold it.

For me, it's a great tool - just like my hand mixer, toaster oven, microwave, stick blender etc. I use them all the time. Same with the instant pot. But I don't expect it to handle everything.

I can cook potatoes for broccoli cheese soup, add the rest of the ingredients ( I roast my broccoli but steamed us fine) and use a stick blender to incorporate the cream , the cheese, etc.

It's a workhorse...for what it does. Add ingredients, set timer, walk away. I do think each Instant pot differs slightly , just as ovens and microwaves do. But that's no big deal.
You adjust.

1. Best hard boiled eggs, never an issue with shells being hard to peel, quicker than boiling. We eat lots of egg salad sandwiches and I like soft boiled eggs and , occasionally, deviled eggs.

I use a 1/2 cup water, however many eggs desired, set time to 3 minutes and walk away. When time us up ( there's an alarm) I let the pressure release naturally for 2 minutes, place in ice water and peel easily.

2. You can cook frozen chicken, turkey, and other meats in 25-35 minutes ( after pot gets up to pressure, 10 minutes or less for me) Frozen meats don't brown but Imcoked mine with diced onions and frozen green beans, added lots of thyme and paid some bills while dinner was cooking.

A tip: double or triple your spices. For some reason, maybe the fact that nothing evaporates, I find I have to add extra spices.

There's a Facebook Instant Pot group. It's a great resource as is YouTube.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Yukon wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:57 am
stoptothink wrote:
Yukon wrote:
baconavocado wrote:

Melissa Clark, of the New York Times, former skeptic, is not only a convert ( her Instant Pot cookbook was recently published ) but also willing to burst some bubbles. She stresses that it won't make a crisp roast chicken or anything crispy ( although you can make some great ribs, add sauce, brown tops under broiler) but a huge time saver for soups, stews, etc.

Her take ( and recipes)
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/dini ... .html?_r=0

I agree with her. But I've more than halved the time needed for my vegetable soup and chicken soup,and made the best beef stew ever. I'm not a fan of making pasta or rice in the pot ( I saute my rice in a bit of butter and then add liquid bake in the oven ) but spaghetti sauce is a breeze. I brown my beef using the saute' function and then add everything else.

No splattered sauce on my counters or walls. Or anywhere.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 pm
Melissa Clark, of the New York Times, former skeptic, is not only a convert ( her Instant Pot cookbook was recently published ) but also willing to burst some bubbles. She stresses that it won't make a crisp roast chicken or anything crispy ( although you can make some great ribs, add sauce, brown tops under broiler) but a huge time saver for soups, stews, etc.

Her take ( and recipes)
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/dini ... .html?_r=0

I agree with her. But I've more than halved the time needed for my vegetable soup and chicken soup,and made the best beef stew ever. I'm not a fan of making pasta or rice in the pot ( I saute my rice in a bit of butter and then add liquid bake in the oven ) but spaghetti sauce is a breeze. I brown my beef using the saute' function and then add everything else.

No splattered sauce on my counters or walls. Or anywhere.
Thanks for sharing. I'm guessing those who can't see the convenience factor don't do much cooking.
Don't Work Forever.

mrc

Post by mrc » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:52 pm

I can't be the only one to keep seeing this thread in the list and think this has something to do with Nestlé's new Quick Marijuana product.
Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country's cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as best he can, the same cause. —AL

dia
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by dia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:24 pm

I used mine to make corned beef. It was absolutely the best I have ever made.
Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. --Winston Churchill

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 am

Another good article from the NY Times - "Guide: How to Use an Instant Pot"

https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/46-h ... nstant-pot

Btw - the 8 qt Instant Pot is pretty large and heavy, feeds a family. For a couple, might consider the 6 qt.

masterofinvesting

Post by masterofinvesting » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 am

If you like Indian food, there is a great FB group full of recipes, clever ways to use IP to cook a variety of Indian dishes, and discussions related to IP.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotIndian/

A few other articles related to IP:
NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... nstant-pot
MotherJones: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... dian-food/

We got the IP a couple of years ago and have been constantly using it. The most common use for us is to cook curries and flavored rice.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 am

baconavocado wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:00 pm

I've had mine for three years (well, two years in the US and now my Europe one - but the US one is one of the few items we saved and put in storage when we left so we can have it when we come back).

Not sure why you are such a hater. Pressure cookers are time tested. I love to cook, having something that takes some time out of beans or stews or vegetables I plan to mash or puree is great. That is also does literally the most perfect egg ever, as well as rice (so I can get rid of both the slow cooker and the rice cooker) is a bonus.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

fulltilt

Post by fulltilt » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:51 am

Beezthree wrote:
1)how does the majority of food turn out? The low price has me a bit worried there is a downside to it and I'm half-guessing it comes in the form of bland food. (I've never used a pressure cooker, so this may be a silly question)
There is nothing inherent to an Instant Pot itself that would cause food to be bland, but your concern is valid. Braising tends to muddy flavors. Especially large cuts of well marbled meat (e.g. chuck or pork butt). The solution is to make sure your food is well seasoned with salt and then add something acidic to food at the end, or near the end of cooking like a splash of lemon juice, vinegar, some olives, etc. It won't make your food taste vinegary, and it will brighten up the flavor of the dish so it won't seem bland or muddy.

My favorite BBQ sauce is nothing more than vinegar, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Think lemon squeezed onto calamari or fried fish. The acid cuts through the fattiness.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 pm

DW was thrilled to get her IP for Christmas--surprised me. She was so happy that she made room for it on the kitchen counter rather than insisting on moving it in and out of a cabinet. That also surprised me, but maybe the size and weight of the 8-qt model had something to do with her decision. Her first effort was chili last night for us and DD and DS who are here for the holidays. It was the best chili she has ever made, but that may have had more to do with the recipe than the IP. I'm not sure how much she made, but there were no leftovers from the four of us. DW found a chicken dish online that is planned for tonight.

So far, so good.

david99

Post by david99 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:12 pm

I got an Instant Pot during Black Friday. It's easy to use and as others have pointed out, you can set it and forget it ----- put all the ingredients in, set the pressure and timer and do something else while it cooks. You can also saute in the pressure cooker and then put in the rest of the ingredients so you only get one pot dirty.

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:18 pm

I make large bunches of rice, quinoa and pasta. Like 3 pounds at a time and I use a large pot on the stovetop. Will this do pasta?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:18 pm
I make large bunches of rice, quinoa and pasta. Like 3 pounds at a time and I use a large pot on the stovetop. Will this do pasta?
Yes, but I would say a 6 quart will do 2 lb max pasta.

Believe it or not, you can put water, tomato sauce, meatballs, pasta all in at once and cook it together in one pot. No need to drain the pasta.

I think rice would max out around 3-4 cups of uncooked rice in the 6 qt.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:01 pm

fulltilt wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:51 am
Beezthree wrote:
There is nothing inherent to an Instant Pot itself that would cause food to be bland, but your concern is valid. Braising tends to muddy flavors. Especially large cuts of well marbled meat (e.g. chuck or pork butt). The solution is to make sure your food is well seasoned with salt and then add something acidic to food at the end, or near the end of cooking like a splash of lemon juice, vinegar, some olives, etc. It won't make your food taste vinegary, and it will brighten up the flavor of the dish so it won't seem bland or muddy.

My favorite BBQ sauce is nothing more than vinegar, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Think lemon squeezed onto calamari or fried fish. The acid cuts through the fattiness.
I agree. You can make very flavorful things in the IP. I make a good number of Indian and Chinese dishes loaded with flavor. My carnitas also comes out great. Keep in mind you are (mostly depending on the setting) cooking with steam so don't think you are going to make a steak or pork chop and it is going to be like on a grill or under a broiler. It is best for foods with a sauce- braised meats,ribs and things like that. Though I find it great for Asian dishes with chicken thighs too. Some people try to make everything in there and I think that is misusing it. It is a tool and not a magical kitchen device.

A lot of people seem to use it for legumes, grains and yogurt, but not my thing.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 pm

bungalow10 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:48 am
. . . 4. Yogurt maker (I haven't done this yet) . . .
I have. It makes great "real" yogurt. Making yogurt the old fashioned way isn't hard, but the I.P. streamlines the process and reduces mess a little bit.

I, too, wonder how the electronics are going to hold up.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Horsefly wrote:

Also have an Instant Pot. Tried it. But, I went back to a Panasonic rice cooker for rice. I have system so rice comes out perfect. It's a must.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:01 pm
fulltilt wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:51 am
Beezthree wrote:

I agree. You can make very flavorful things in the IP. I make a good number of Indian and Chinese dishes loaded with flavor. My carnitas also comes out great. Keep in mind you are (mostly depending on the setting) cooking with steam so don't think you are going to make a steak or pork chop and it is going to be like on a grill or under a broiler. It is best for foods with a sauce- braised meats,ribs and things like that. Though I find it great for Asian dishes with chicken thighs too. Some people try to make everything in there and I think that is misusing it. It is a tool and not a magical kitchen device.

A lot of people seem to use it for legumes, grains and yogurt, but not my thing.
You have my attention. . .
What Asian dishes with chicken thighs?
Care to share?

jef

Post by jef » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:42 pm

baconavocado wrote:

I don't disagree that these appliances are good for cooking a few things - dry beans, rice, etc.
I agree with baconavocado

I purchased one about a year ago & played around with it for a few weeks. I found that advertised recipe cooking time generally did not include the time to pressure up and down and that the actual time to prepare many things was longer than the recipes would indicate. It is a neat machine and it worked just fine, however, I have not used it since.
We are gradually moving to a plant based diet. We are empty nesters, I work from home and have plenty of time to cook. I enjoy cooking and taking my time and preparing nice meals. If I had children at home, worked long hours with a long commute and was rushed for time, I would probaby use it just to whip up stuff quickly. I just find no need or desire to use the Instant Pot at this stage of my life. I like to watch and interact with my food as it cooks.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm

aqan wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:13 pm
harrington wrote:
aqan wrote:
Agreed. After reading the title, this thread is a complete disappointment. I thought it would herald the opening of the Colorado sub-forum we have all been waiting for.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:46 pm

jef wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:42 pm
baconavocado wrote:

I don't disagree that these appliances are good for cooking a few things - dry beans, rice, etc.
I agree with baconavocado

I purchased one about a year ago & played around with it for a few weeks. I found that advertised recipe cooking time generally did not include the time to pressure up and down and that the actual time to prepare many things was longer than the recipes would indicate. It is a neat machine and it worked just fine, however, I have not used it since.
We are gradually moving to a plant based diet. We are empty nesters, I work from home and have plenty of time to cook. I enjoy cooking and taking my time and preparing nice meals. If I had children at home, worked long hours with a long commute and was rushed for time, I would probaby use it just to whip up stuff quickly. I just find no need or desire to use the Instant Pot at this stage of my life. I like to watch and interact with my food as it cooks.
I'm tempted by sous vide for meats but would still use the instant pot for side dishes to accompany the sous vide main course or for quick meals ( beef stew in far less time than my usual method)

I know the instant pot is the opposite of sous vide (placing food in a plastic or silver bag, followed by long, slow cooking in a very temperature controlled water bath). A friend shared sous vide ribs with me and they were the best ever. A steak was also amazing.

So I'm tempted. But the instant pot will remain an often used appliance.

There is a learning curve. But that's often the case with many appliances. BAsed on a Facebook Instant Pot group I think many users expect to hit the ground running and use it for everything, including things like shrimp, steak, fish etc..when those can be prepared in minutes on a cooktop or in an oven.

A major advantage of pressure cooking, at least to me, is to make tough meats tender and juicy in record time. As for rice, I'll stick to baking it in the oven with my time tested method where it ends up browned on top and nearly crispy on the edges.

CherylHall

Post by CherylHall » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:56 pm

LOVE my instapot! There are several really great groups on facebook (yes!) for Insta pot users. I am in this one - https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotVeganRecipes/
even if you are not vegan there are great recipes. https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... til-chili/

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 pm
DW was thrilled to get her IP for Christmas--surprised me. She was so happy that she made room for it on the kitchen counter rather than insisting on moving it in and out of a cabinet. That also surprised me, but maybe the size and weight of the 8-qt model had something to do with her decision. Her first effort was chili last night for us and DD and DS who are here for the holidays. It was the best chili she has ever made, but that may have had more to do with the recipe than the IP. I'm not sure how much she made, but there were no leftovers from the four of us. DW found a chicken dish online that is planned for tonight.

So far, so good.
Update: DW has used the Instant Pot at least once/day since the above. It is rapidly becoming a favorite for each of us! One of the meals she prepared was an old Brunswick Stew recipe that used to simmer all day in a crock pot but still didn't taste fully flavored until the second day. After less than an hour of preparation and cooking in the Instant Pot, it was right out of the pot the best batch we have ever made.

birdog

Post by birdog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:46 pm

CherylHall wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:56 pm
LOVE my instapot! There are several really great groups on facebook (yes!) for Insta pot users. I am in this one - https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotVeganRecipes/
even if you are not vegan there are great recipes. https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... til-chili/
Thank you for sharing the links. Just forwarded to my wife who was just asking about this tonight!

fmzip

Post by fmzip » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:04 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm
aqan wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:13 pm
harrington wrote:
aqan wrote:
Agreed. After reading the title, this thread is a complete disappointment. I thought it would herald the opening of the Colorado sub-forum we have all been waiting for.

So I click on this thread and think, what did I miss???

For REAL, instant POT?? Thought it was like one minute oatmeal. Thought this was the next bitcoin!

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

I am excited! My instant pot is due today! Any one have any recipes they want to share with me? :happy

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 pm

I got one for Christmas and have used it twice so far to make chili and this: https://meaningfuleats.com/instant-pot- ... -and-rice/. I modified the chicken and rice recipe to spice it up and it turned out great. So great to be able to use frozen chicken and just toss everything into the cooker.

18_bank_accounts

Post by 18_bank_accounts » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 am

baconavocado wrote:
I don't understand the judgmental tone, but I think I understand the sentiment. I know that most people don't enjoy cooking. They see it as a chore. But, I love cooking. It's a hobby for me.

Two of the secrets to great cooking are preparation and time (the others are salt and fat :happy). I like that I can make a meal better by planning for it the day ahead. Salt the meat for 24 hours. Soak the beans overnight. Make the lasagna tonight, but cool it down and reheat it tomorrow - it will taste better! Likewise, cooking something slower often makes it a lot better. Most home cooks are in a rush; they just want to eat. But if you roast a pork shoulder for six hours, or you put the chili in the oven at lunch time and cook it until dinner, it will be much better than if you optimized for spending less time in the kitchen.

I baulk subconsciously at the thought that I'm missing something by not using a pressure cooker. It's a great tool - but I like the hands-on, improvisational and sensory experience of cooking the "old fashioned" way. To each their own!

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:43 am

MJS wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:39 pm
The decluttering world has a principle of "One in, one out." What would you take _out_ of your kitchen when the iPot came _in_?

If you don't already have a
Crock pot
OR
Pressure cooker
OR
Rice cooker
OR
Yogurt maker
.... then you won't get much use from the iPot. If you already use more than one of these, it will simplify your life. I use mine for stock, shredded meat & beans.
while we got the 6 qt IP in december, just opened it up to use today
we don’t have a separate rice cooker: we do that over the stove, as some rice varieties are more difficult to cook well // we don’t do yogurt, so nothing there // a crock pot has its own application that isn’t always consistent with a pressure cooker (even an IP)

we’re replacing our old pressure cooker, as the unit has had its days, and even the replacement rings aren’t holding up. it was harder to judge the amount of moisture loss over time with the old pressure cooker (lift up and swirl to judge) while it appears that the IP doesn’t loose as much, so recipes might not need as much moisture

the one advantage is the auto shutoff and keep warm feature so that things don’t get overdone (guilty, i’ve done that, hence why the old pressure cooker needed replacement) (price on sale wasn’t really that different from a decent regular pressure cooker so we went ahead)

the one thing is that the sauté function isn’t quite the same as with a stove top style as the contact area on the IP that has heat is smaller (I was use to a regular pressure cooker on a gas stove, where I had better control of the braising: don’t think the IP is superior over the regular PC for that)
It’s a tool, and like my pellet grill (with its temperature control versus a regular charcoal grill or even a propane grill), the ability to better control the cooking process can make the outcome more consistent.

Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:53 am

It makes easy to peel hard boiled and soft boiled eggs.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:58 am

Newbie Instant Pot user....This is a game changer. For those of us in The Tribe, making Chulent just became soooooo much quicker and easier. What I have not really explored yet is whether the IP has a 'stay warm' cycle that can go for 25 hours without turning off and on. But I can basically go from dried beans to ready-to-eat Chulent in under 90 minutes, which is huge (for me). With a Crock Pot, it was a lengthy process, with mixed results.

Soon, I am going to try is boneless leg of lamb, using the saute function, followed by a pressure cook. Typically when I make leg of lamb, it take 3-4 hours. My take on what I have read is that IP does this in under 2 hours (roughly half the time). Now I normally cut garlic cloves into slivers and insert into the leg of lamb. I am wondering if I still need to do the same, or would adding garlic slivers to the mix be enough to 'suffuse' (probably not the right word, but it communicates the sense) the garlic flavor through the meat.

This website has a lot of interesting things. https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:54 am

JCE66 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:58 am
Newbie Instant Pot user....This is a game changer. For those of us in The Tribe, making Chulent just became soooooo much quicker and easier. What I have not really explored yet is whether the IP has a 'stay warm' cycle that can go for 25 hours without turning off and on. But I can basically go from dried beans to ready-to-eat Chulent in under 90 minutes, which is huge (for me). With a Crock Pot, it was a lengthy process, with mixed results.

Excellent point, I never thought of making chulent in it nor leaving it on over shabbat. I am not sure if it will shut off or not....I'll try to find the answer and if it doesn't, I'm going to try it out.