Any Instant Pot users here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Beezthree

Any Instant Pot users here?

Post by Beezthree »

I have been thinking of purchasing an Instant Pot for a few different reasons. Mostly ease of use/cleanup and time saving qualities. BUT, I can't quite pull the trigger and was hoping Bogleheads could help me out. Namely two questions:

1)how does the majority of food turn out? The low price has me a bit worried there is a downside to it and I'm half-guessing it comes in the form of bland food. (I've never used a pressure cooker, so this may be a silly question)

2)are they built to last? Again, the price has me worried the electronics are cheaply made and I'd have to buy a new one every year or so.

Any recommendations or complaints about it?

Any EASY recipes anyone wanting to share? :sharebeer

Thanks!
motorcyclesarecool

Re: Any Instant Pot users here?

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

We’re new to the Instant Pot game. I’m impressed with the build quality. DW converted a slow cooker recipe for pumpkin chicken curry to Pressure Cooker, and we agree that the texture and flavor of the meat are infinitely better from the Instant Pot. The only downside we’ve seen so far is that the gasket around the lid retains smells.

My personal best IP recipe so far (we have the 8 qt):
Hard Cooked Eggs
1.Carefully place 12 eggs on steaming tray in the IP
2. Add 1 cup water
3. Close the steam release valve
4. Cook for 7 minutes on “steaming”
5. Do a “quick release” of pressure once the IP is finished and put the eggs into an ice bath
6. Peel & eat your perfect hard cooked eggs.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
3hrs

Post by 3hrs »

We've had ours over a year and use it multiple times a week. DH uses the easy to use yogurt function, then drains the whey to make Greek style yogurt. Simple, with little hands on time. I mostly use it to cook stews, whole chickens, potatoes, beets, other vegetables, and large quantities of hard boiled eggs. Just last night DS made homemade Ramen style soup using shredded chicken he cooked using frozen chicken breasts in the Instapot. I really like being able to set the timer and leave the kitchen. Glad we bought ours.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

We had one in the US for two years and then purchased the European version when we moved overseas. I love it simply because it is a multitasker, and it multitasks well. It takes the place of the crock pot, Nesco, and rice cooker in our kitchen.

Things the Instant Pot does/replaces..
1. Crock pot
2. Pressure cooker
3. Rice cooker
4. Yogurt maker (I haven't done this yet)

It also sautes, which crock pots don't do.

I've made some really good stuff in mine over the years. Some very simple things like stews and rice, but also things like pressure cooked beans (for this alone it is worth it!), cooking frozen chunks of meat without thawing, and anything that requires browning before slow cooking will now be a one-pot item - thinks like sauteing onions and garlic before adding the meat or liquid. I made a giant pancake in it (had to try it once) and it makes the best hard/soft cooked eggs.

ETA: both our Instant Pots have had issues with the display. Not sure why, but otherwise the units work fine.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bampf

Post by bampf »

Love it. Do it.
Nescio
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

There happens to be an article in today"s LA Times about Instant Pots: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-i ... story.html
Some comments on Amazon are about the the warranty not being honored. That gives me some concern.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

My wife's been eyeing one but I'm not convinced it's the answer she's looking for. I do the majority of the cooking and we've already got a pressure cooker (love it), rice cooker, yogurt maker, and a crock pot so I don't see where a Instant Pot would fit in. My experience is that a tool/appliance/whatever, that is designed to do one thing and one thing only, will do it well. Whereas a multipurpose one will do everything OK, but perhaps not quite as well. That however, is a personal opinion only based on my experience. Also, since I don't have one I can't comment on how well they work. Until I got a rice cooker, I always figured, "It's rice, how hard can it be? Put it in a pot on the stove and you're done." The convenience and perfect rice that the cooker made after I bought one proved me wrong. Perhaps it's the same with an Instant Pot.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Yooper wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:38 am My wife's been eyeing one but I'm not convinced it's the answer she's looking for. I do the majority of the cooking and we've already got a pressure cooker (love it), rice cooker, yogurt maker, and a crock pot so I don't see where a Instant Pot would fit in. My experience is that a tool/appliance/whatever, that is designed to do one thing and one thing only, will do it well. Whereas a multipurpose one will do everything OK, but perhaps not quite as well. That however, is a personal opinion only based on my experience. Also, since I don't have one I can't comment on how well they work. Until I got a rice cooker, I always figured, "It's rice, how hard can it be? Put it in a pot on the stove and you're done." The convenience and perfect rice that the cooker made after I bought one proved me wrong. Perhaps it's the same with an Instant Pot.
Funny, there was a thread a few days ago seeking "permission" to buy a waffle iron, looking to justify a single purpose appliance, :happy

I use the Instant Pot for hard boiling eggs (it doesn't save time but they are PERFECT and easy to peel, even the ones only hours out of the chicken!), rice (not quite up to the quality of a $300 Korean rice cooker but 90% there with some adjustments to the included recipe), and dried beans.

It replaced my stove top pressure cooker which seems now to have come from the early Paleolithic!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

I love mine, use once or twice a week and make enough for leftovers. I tend to make similar things to what I used to make in a slow cooker, but now I can do dinners at the end of the day instead of having to start everything mid-day for a slow cooker.

Preventing "bland" is same rules as a slow cooker, if you're cooking down large pieces of meat do your meat for a while and then add the veggies for a shorter period. Having the saute function means you can saute, pressure cook, and then boil down in the same pot, and you can pressure cook in multiple batches.

I got the fancy Bluetooth version, but I find I never do anything except saute and manual pressure cook.

Build quality seems good.
FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor »

I have had an electric pressure cooker for 10 years, predating the instantpot for sure. We just upgraded to the largest instantpot. I would recommend an instantpot to anyone. Put a price alert on CamelCamelCamel and buy when on sale.
I blog here: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

Miakis

Post by Miakis »

I use mine primary for
"Baked potato" (really steamed potato, but so much quicker)
"Hard boiled" eggs (again - steamed)
Vegetable stock
Some soups

Everything turns out fine. I didn't like the way rice turned out in it. I couldn't quite get the trick of beans.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

I do most of the cooking....DW still working FT.

A few weeks ago our slow cooker went to the graveyard so needed something new for the holidays. Purchased the 8 qt Instant Pot Duo model. Got it home and could not get it to fit into any of the kitchen cabinets....so I returned it....unused. Ended up purchasing an 8 qt. slow cooker.

My daughter just purchased the Instant Pot Duo 6 qt and made baby back ribs Saturday night.........she said they were fantastic.

After the holidays, I might check out the 6 qt model to see if it fits. A few features that attract me to the Instant Pot:

1). Saute and brown meat, veggies.....great for making stew and soups.
2). You can place the inner stainless steel container in the fridge (might have to purchase auxiliary cover which is sold separately)....pull it out and reheat in same container.
3). Great for making hard boiled eggs.....as mentioned by a few above.

One thing that troubles me a bit is....cleaning the cover. The design of the inside of the cover appears that it might trap moisture and therefore, a place for bacteria. Has this been a problem for those of you that own one?
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

fishandgolf wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:42 am
One thing that troubles me a bit is....cleaning the cover. The design of the inside of the cover appears that it might trap moisture and therefore, a place for bacteria. Has this been a problem for those of you that own one?
The pot itself is stainless and easy to clean. There is a hard silicon ring on the inside that can get a food smell if not cleaned properly - but it comes off entirely, is dishwasher safe, and you can buy replacements on Amazon.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Got it 2 months ago. I have been using it about 2-3x a week. Got rid of my stove top pressure cooker and regular slow cooker. Win, win, win. Best kitchen purchase since getting a sous vide three years ago.
Suggested recipes that can be adopted for an instant pot (follow directions for electric pressure cooker):
http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/pres ... cipes.html
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

bungalow10 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:03 am
The pot itself is stainless and easy to clean. There is a hard silicon ring on the inside that can get a food smell if not cleaned properly - but it comes off entirely, is dishwasher safe, and you can buy replacements on Amazon.
If I recall, there is a vent screen on the underside-top of the cover (must be for venting stream). I see that as an area that will trap moisture and moisture = bacteria. Can the entire cover be put into the dish washer?
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

fishandgolf wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:19 am
bungalow10 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:03 am
If I recall, there is a vent screen on the underside-top of the cover (must be for venting stream). I see that as an area that will trap moisture and moisture = bacteria. Can the entire cover be put into the dish washer?
I think it can. I know it can be submerged, and taken apart.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Every time I see Instant Pots on sale on Amazon and feel tempted to buy one, I remind myself how rarely I use my Crock Pot. So ask yourself if you would really use it before asking if it makes bland food.
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

I had a slow cooker but hated using it. I don't want to cook at breakfast time and smell food all day (I work at home).

I love the Instant Pot. I use it mostly for rice (white and brown) and biryani. I just bought an Indian Instant Pot book to do curries.

It also makes mashed potatoes so easily - no more standing over the stove watching water boil, then missing when it boils over the pot, then sticking a knife into them every few minutes to see if they are finally ready! Just stick them in the IP and walk away. Come back later, open and mash.

I don't recommend it for cabbage - if overcooked, it's gray. (I now roast cabbage slices in the oven and they are delicious baked that way.)

Check out the Facebook Instant Pot group - there are thousands of members and recipes flying around.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

We have one and the wife uses it multiple times a week. She does yogurt in it flawlessly, and we used to use it a lot to make rice. Though, we ended up buying a Persian rice cooker so we could crunchy rice, something the IP can't do. We're not big meat eaters, but we still use the IP a lot for legumes. One thing I appreciate is that dry legumes can cook very quickly in the IP, and you don't have to soak them overnight on the stove. This is an enormous time saver. We like buying dry legumes because they are easier to store than canned, they're less expensive, and you get much more in quantity. Also, you avoid the potential BPA that comes with cans. It is big, and it is always on the counter.
FraggleRock

Instant Pot users soon

Post by FraggleRock »

My daughter loves hers.
She is buying me one for Xmas.

3 appliances will be Freecycled:
crock pot - seldom used
rice cooker - used at least 2x per week
pressure cooker - seldom used

However, the waffle iron is staying.
Last edited by FraggleRock on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJS

Post by MJS »

The decluttering world has a principle of "One in, one out." What would you take _out_ of your kitchen when the iPot came _in_?

If you don't already have a
Crock pot
OR
Pressure cooker
OR
Rice cooker
OR
Yogurt maker
.... then you won't get much use from the iPot. If you already use more than one of these, it will simplify your life. I use mine for stock, shredded meat & beans.
CABob

Post by CABob »

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:18 am The only downside we’ve seen so far is that the gasket around the lid retains smells.
Try removing the gasket, clean and dry and wrap it in newspaper and store outside of the pot.

We have an electronic pressure cooker which we like very much. Have considered the instant pot but I think we would use it in the same manner as the pressure cooker so haven't gone for it yet but perhaps on the near horizon.
Bob
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

CABob wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:04 pm
motorcyclesarecool wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:18 am The only downside we’ve seen so far is that the gasket around the lid retains smells.
Try removing the gasket, clean and dry and wrap it in newspaper and store outside of the pot.

We have an electronic pressure cooker which we like very much. Have considered the instant pot but I think we would use it in the same manner as the pressure cooker so haven't gone for it yet but perhaps on the near horizon.
Is there something special about newspaper such that other paper or absorbent material (or other "quality of importance") wouldn't work?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Is there something special about newspaper such that other paper or absorbent material (or other "quality of importance") wouldn't work?
Probably not but I normally have a supply of newspaper handy. I would think that any paper with similar absorbent properties would work.
Why do many suggest the use of newspaper for cleaning glass? I don't know the answer to that but it works.
Bob
james865

Post by james865 »

Had Chili from the Instant Pot tonight (8 qt).

Took <1 hour when it normally took all day in the crock pot.

Highly recommend; since purchasing it for my wife I haven't seen the crock pot.

It's used 1-2 times per week, no problems in the first 6 months.
MarvinK

Post by MarvinK »

1 year in of Instant Pot.
Things I've made: Beef and broccoli, carrot ginger soup, many stews, egg-spinach-tomato cups, steamed salmon, mushroom risotto, lamb chops, Lemon zest cheesecake, The best bread pudding in my neighborhood.
Meats come out juicy and tender. It will only turn out bland if your recipes are bland, lol.
Thanksgiving: cut up 12 lb. turkey, yams, cranberries, green beans with bacon, turkey stock/bone broth
I use it mostly in the colder weather I suppose.

Join the Facebook group Instant Pot Community
I have given three as gifts!
My slow cooker broke, and I bought mine on a whim on black friday 2016. Sooo amazing. I had to learn how to cook 'under pressure', I find the science cool. The facebook group is helpful to search and to get new ideas beyond stew. My next efforts are going to be homemade vanilla extract, and some indian dishes such as lentils, chicken korma, etc.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Beezthree wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:57 am I have been thinking of purchasing an Instant Pot for a few different reasons. Mostly ease of use/cleanup and time saving qualities. BUT, I can't quite pull the trigger and was hoping Bogleheads could help me out. Namely two questions:

1)how does the majority of food turn out? The low price has me a bit worried there is a downside to it and I'm half-guessing it comes in the form of bland food. (I've never used a pressure cooker, so this may be a silly question)

2)are they built to last? Again, the price has me worried the electronics are cheaply made and I'd have to buy a new one every year or so.

Thanks!
So far for me:
Rice comes out better in my Panasonic Rice Cooker.
Browning a whole chicken in it makes a mess and sticks.
Bought 2 cookbooks for the Instant Pot and still trying to find something that comes out well.
It could be my diet restrictions: no dairy, no beans, no potatoes, no processed foods, no gluten, limited starch, etc.
So far I haven't found a use for it that I can't do on a stove or oven, etc.
So it's in my pantry until I can find recipes for it.
Suggestions?
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MarvinK

Post by MarvinK »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 pm
Beezthree wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:57 am I have been thinking of purchasing an Instant Pot for a few different reasons. Mostly ease of use/cleanup and time saving qualities. BUT, I can't quite pull the trigger and was hoping Bogleheads could help me out. Namely two questions:

Thanks!
So far for me:
Bought 2 cookbooks for the Instant Pot and still trying to find something that comes out well.
It could be my diet restrictions: no dairy, no beans, no potatoes, no processed foods, no gluten, limited starch, etc.
Suggestions?

Sandtrap,
Kalua pork, Beef and broccoli (with soy sauce), Salmon on a steamer inside.
The strength is the wet environment or broth that the meat cooks in, like stews.
I have a separate rice cooker that I'm happy with.
There is a facebook group called Keto/Very Low Carb, and likely one for Paleo too.

I too am faced with similar restrictions, lactose-intolerant, beans are high on the allergy scale, never liked processed foods, potatoes high in carbs which turns to sugar (love them though). Gluten mostly substitute rice products. Basically I'm trying Keto recipes in 2018.

-MarvinK
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bsteiner wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:24 am There are 2 current articles on this in the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/17/busi ... t-pot.html, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/18/insi ... sting.html.
Those are nice articles about the Instant Pot and the man who created it. From the business article:
Truth be told, the headquarters of Instant Pot don't look much like a church.

But inside this sterile, gray office building on the outskirts of Ottawa, behind a door marked only by a small metal sign, a new religion has been born.

It's deity is the Instant Pot . . .
harrington

Post by harrington »

Oh I thought it said pot......Never mind :D
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

I bought one about four months ago and love it. Use it three to four times a week.
I love hardboiled eggs and it makes them to perfection, and so easy to peel the shells almost fall off.
I cook whole chickens and then shred the meat to use in salads. The meat is very tender and doesn't have the funny taste that I noticed when
cooking a chicken in a crock pot.

I've also made roasts that came out perfect, and fish from frozen fillets.

I'm not much of a cook, but I love this thing. Saves time and effort and is easy to use.

The food will only be bland if the recipe you are using is. I always like to add lots of spices and have been very happy with my Instant Pot.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

MarvinK wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:17 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks!
So far for me:
Suggestions?

Sandtrap,
Kalua pork, Beef and broccoli (with soy sauce), Salmon on a steamer inside.
The strength is the wet environment or broth that the meat cooks in, like stews.
I have a separate rice cooker that I'm happy with.
There is a facebook group called Keto/Very Low Carb, and likely one for Paleo too.

I too am faced with similar restrictions, lactose-intolerant, beans are high on the allergy scale, never liked processed foods, potatoes high in carbs which turns to sugar (love them though). Gluten mostly substitute rice products. Basically I'm trying Keto recipes in 2018.

-MarvinK
Sounds “ono”
Mahalo!
J👍
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dewey

Post by dewey »

So far I only do hard boiled eggs (perfect every time) and brown basmati rice (perfect every time). I haven't made any regular recipes because so many call for stopping and starting the IP and I'm not sure footed about all that. Plus so many of our recipes are well established using traditional means so the incentive to break what's fixed isn't there. But I'm pleased with the IP and glad we have it.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
nm451

Post by nm451 »

I have found that the InstaPot is useful as a "quick" slow cooker and use it about 4-5 times a month. I am generally not a fan of one pot meals as most people. As a rice cooker it is ok, but I have a dedicated rice cooker that is way better.
I usually make soups, stews, stock in it. The InstaPot really cuts down on the time that is needed and good on weeknights. The biggest difference when adapting recipes is to add less water because there is so little water loss during cooking.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Every time I see this thread title, my mind blocks out the word “instant”. Just thought I’d mention it because it’s happened 5 or 6 Times!
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Is this stuff like instant coffee? Sounds like a gold mine. How do you invest in it?
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

We won't be buying one because we like good food, we have respect for food, and we like to cook.

If you're on the fence about buying one, ask yourself this question: how many high quality restaurants will be preparing their food in an instant pot? The answer is none.
Topic Author
Beezthree

Post by Beezthree »

baconavocado wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:19 pm We won't be buying one because we like good food, we have respect for food, and we like to cook.

If you're on the fence about buying one, ask yourself this question: how many high quality restaurants will be preparing their food in an instant pot? The answer is none.
what an odd answer, especially the part about respecting food.

thanks to everyone else. it should be here in two days. i'm very excited.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have two. I use them regularly. They are quite useful depending on your needs. They will not help a newbie cook make 5 star meals in 15 minutes. It is a tool and not end all kitchen device.

Some of the benefits:

1) You don't have to watch it like something on the stovetop

2) Some things are much faster. Some people wind up disappointed because not everything is really faster. For example, it takes around 10-15 minutes to cook chicken breasts under pressure. However, it takes ~10 minutes to get to pressure. I can cook them on the stove in that amount of time. Where you really save time is long cooking things like pork shoulder, pot roast, ribs, etc. I did carnitas in 1 hour start to finish last weekend. In the oven it would have been at least 4 hours. I also do a fair number of Indian dishes in it.

3) It doesn't heat up the house so that can be handy in warm weather. It is also portable so you can take it camping, to a cabin, rv, etc.

4) It seems many people use it for hard boiled eggs and yogurt, neither of which I make.

5) Some dishes you can load into the pot insert when you have time, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it, and then pop it into the Instant Pot when you are ready to cook it. This is handy for leaving for someone that doesn't cook (leave them directions to start it) or when you might get home late. I prefer the IP to slow cookers for a few reasons.

That being said, it is a tool. Some people (reading from the FB group) try to use it for everything. It isn't really meant to make prime rib. Some recipes are not going to be as good if you just dump everything in the pot. Browning things adds flavor. You can brown them in the Instant Pot, but that takes extra time.

Another thing I notice on the FB forums is raves about this recipe or that recipe and how everything is unbelievably good. I am a pretty seasoned cook and many of the recipes I've tried are mediocre to my standards. In other words, nothing is going to automatically be good because you cooked it in an Instant Pot. So, I would try well tested recipes if you don't adapt your own.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

baconavocado wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:19 pm We won't be buying one because we like good food, we have respect for food, and we like to cook.

Restaurants do use pressure cookers which is basically what the Instant Pot is. How many people cook food at home like a"high quality" restaurant? I'm not sure how putting something in a pressure cooker vs. an oven or pot on the stove is disrespecting it. :shock:

I think you'd be surprised how many "high quality" restaurants cook much of your food in advance and just reheat it before serving it. Do you think they are actually cooking chicken or prime rib or potato from scratch when you place your order??
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I just use regular old fashioned pressure cookers, cheap, made in India, work great.

Why does anyone need this fancy version?
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 am I just use regular old fashioned pressure cookers, cheap, made in India, work great.

It has a timer and adjusts the temp for you so you don't have to watch it as closely and it is more foolproof. It also lets you do yogurt and slow cooking. So, it has a few more bells and whistles. They are not that expensive on sale (I paid $60). A good manual pressure cooker is not cheap. I would worry about safety features on cheap pressure cookers.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:38 am
watchnerd wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 am I just use regular old fashioned pressure cookers, cheap, made in India, work great.

It has a timer and adjusts the temp for you so you don't have to watch it as closely and it is more foolproof. It also lets you do yogurt and slow cooking. So, it has a few more bells and whistles. They are not that expensive on sale (I paid $60). A good manual pressure cooker is not cheap. I would worry about safety features on cheap pressure cookers.
I don't have to watch my manual pressure cookers, once I learned how to use them. Once it starts venting, I walk away.

As for exploding or something -- they have safety blow off valves. I've never blown one. Hawkins makes pressure cookers by the millions, used all over India. If they were death traps, we'd know.

$36 for a 5 liter model. Plus I can use it like a regular pot, as well, which some recipes call for.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Beezthree wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:33 am

what an odd answer, especially the part about respecting food.

thanks to everyone else. it should be here in two days. i'm very excited.
I hope you are happy with it! I have been following your thread with great interest. Thanks for starting it.

Our Instant Pot is under the Christmas tree with DW's name on it. (Purchased during Amazon's BF sale. I did get her other stuff also.) I am also pretty excited about it and really hope she likes it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:38 am

I don't have to watch my manual pressure cookers, once I learned how to use them. Once it starts venting, I walk away.

As for exploding or something -- they have safety blow off valves. I've never blown one. Hawkins makes pressure cookers by the millions, used all over India. If they were death traps, we'd know.

$36 for a 5 liter model. Plus I can use it like a regular pot, as well, which some recipes call for.
Most manual pressure cookers you lower the burner when it comes to pressure which is a manual process you have to be standing there for. The IP also automatically goes into keep warm mode when done after finishing in case you get distracted. If you get distracted with a manual pressure cooker and leave it longer than intended your food will get severely over cooked. You can also do a delayed start which you cannot do on a manual pressure cooker.

I had a manual pressure cooker. The instructions said to adjust the flame so the venting mechanism "gently jiggled" after it came to pressure whatever that means. I am sure you get used to them, but the IP is more foolproof as I said.

$36 and $60 is a $24 difference which is insignificant to me (and mine is a 6 qt so it is larger). Granted, a manual pressure cooker will probably last much longer as it has no electronics. Some people prefer manual things over automated so I guess it is just a matter of personal preference.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

We bought an Instapot a few summers ago before they got sexy.

We never really got into using it other than to boil peanuts and to make the occasional risotto. (I love risotto)

Actually, I ended up forgetting about it until this thread and brought it out last night to make shredded chicken tacos. Worked great.

Over the holidays, I'll look into using it more.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

renue74 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:33 am We bought an Instapot a few summers ago before they got sexy.

We never really got into using it other than to boil peanuts and to make the occasional risotto. (I love risotto)

Actually, I ended up forgetting about it until this thread and brought it out last night to make shredded chicken tacos. Worked great.

risotto in a pressure cooker? how do you stir it?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 am
renue74 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:33 am We bought an Instapot a few summers ago before they got sexy.

risotto in a pressure cooker? how do you stir it?
You don't- hence the labor savings.

I have made a basically no stir recipe and found it to be good. Not as good if made by a good, seasoned risotto maker, but better than 75% of the risotto I've had. There is a recipe I saw that calls for finishing it at the end with some stirring, but I haven't tried that yet to see the difference.

This is the recipe I tried:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014 ... ecipe.html
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k »

I mostly make homemade chicken broth in mine. Also, it gives chili and soups a better taste if you don't have much time. Lots of people have said it, but it's remarkable how easy it makes hard boiled eggs. The shells practically jump off the eggs. I need to venture out a bit more but haven't had a lot of time to focus on it.