Help Me [Recover] My Bitcoin!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
feh

Re: Help Me Cash Out My Bitcoin!

Post by feh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:01 pm

MP123 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:55 pm
In fact it's not clear that they have any legal requirement to buy them at all on your behalf.
I'd be shocked if this is how they operated. They'd be running a huge risk, because if the price increases from the time of purchase until you transfer them, they'd be on the hook for making up the difference.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:15 pm

feh wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:01 pm
MP123 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:55 pm
In fact it's not clear that they have any legal requirement to buy them at all on your behalf.
I'd be shocked if this is how they operated. They'd be running a huge risk, because if the price increases from the time of purchase until you transfer them, they'd be on the hook for making up the difference.
That's right. But I'd still be a little surprised if every single bitcoin in all the users accounts is 100% backed by actual valid bitcoin in their cold storage. Not saying it isn't just that there doesn't seem to be any audit or regulatory procedures/requirements to verify it.

Holding the private key yourself seems a lot safer to me but of course has it's own risks.

fatlever

Post by fatlever » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Reubin wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:20 am
techrover wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:26 am
Reubin wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 pm
Thank you! This was very informative. I'm ready to transfer my BTC into my new coinbase wallet but I still don't have the private key for it. If coinbase accepts the BTC (and charges me) won't the BTC still be in a "watch only" status and unavailable to be spent by me?
All exchanges including coinbase will not give you private keys mainly due to the reason I cited - they pool all the crypto assets and store it in their wallets "securely". Although they show wallets under your accounts, these wallets in your account do not hold real crypto....however you have ownership of the asset and can transfer/sell as you wish as long as you login to their account correctly. In short don't worry about getting private key associated with the coinbase wallet as you will not need it as long as you are trading bitcoins from within coinbase platform.

So if you got your account setup at coinbase, login and go to Accounts. Locate the Bitcoin wallet, click on Receive and it will display you the wallet address(alpha-numeric string of characters + qr code). You want to copy that address string and plugin it into blockchain.info wallet - transfer to address. Assuming you pay decent "miner" fees, your bitcoin will move from the blockchain.info wallet's to this coinbase's wallet. Due to recent volume/congestion on bitcoin network, it might take hours/days for your transaction to be "confirmed". Once its confirmed and shows in your coinbase account, you can sell it for USD from within coinbase platform only - without needing the dreaded "private key"

Hope you can cash in your prize ...
I know its hard for most users to get their head around this complexity, heck its even complicated for techies... So don't feel your are out of place.
I did that last night and it's hard to tell if it worked. Nothing said that the transaction went through and the balance in my coinbase wallet still shows zero.

Will this work? Wouldn't it allow anyone to transfer public BTC into their own coinbase wallets?

It sounds like you already make the transfer. You should at least see a "Pending" appear in you Coinbase Wallet if you had really low fees. Otherwise the bitcoin should be in your wallet.

Also, reading this post I checked out Blockchain.info for the first time and played around with it. The seed that they give you to recover your wallet is a BIP39 Mnenomic. You can import them in other wallets/tools and it will generate a list of addresses and private keys for you. So for every address you have, it'll generate a corresponding private key when using that seed. So your private key is not lost as long as you have the seed.

But it looks like you're set anyway.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:49 pm

CryingHawaiian wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:39 pm
Veiled wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:03 am
As I understand it, this is part of the reason cryptocurrencies (or at least bitcoin) will inevitably depreciate.
why would this cause it to depreciate? If anything, wouldn't less of an available supply of bitcoins cause prices to increase?
Not if people lose faith in bitcoin as an alternative currency.

Veiled

Post by Veiled » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:52 pm

CryingHawaiian wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:39 pm
Veiled wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:03 am
As I understand it, this is part of the reason cryptocurrencies (or at least bitcoin) will inevitably depreciate.
why would this cause it to depreciate? If anything, wouldn't less of an available supply of bitcoins cause prices to increase?
This was explained upthread by Tal and tadamsmar.
tadamsmar wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:37 pm
Tal- wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:28 pm
Inflation/deflation is technically defined as the amount of money that exists. For example, when the Fed prints a $20 bill, they are, by definition, creating inflation. If I were to burn a $20 bill, I'm by definition, creating deflation. In this case, it sounds like a $930 dollar bill was basically burnt. :(

With that said, I think the view of supply and demand is intuitive, but maybe dangerous. If you think of Bitcoin as a collectible, your point of supply and demand is accurate. But ultimately, Bitcoin can only survive if it's a currency, and not a collectible.
You are confusing a definition with a causal factor.

Inflation is just a sustained price rise. Increasing the money supply could could cause it.
Pardon me as I read these one hundred and fifty-seven SP vs LLC vs Scorp threads...

Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:32 pm

fatlever wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:16 pm
Reubin wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:20 am
techrover wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:26 am
Reubin wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 pm
Thank you! This was very informative. I'm ready to transfer my BTC into my new coinbase wallet but I still don't have the private key for it. If coinbase accepts the BTC (and charges me) won't the BTC still be in a "watch only" status and unavailable to be spent by me?
All exchanges including coinbase will not give you private keys mainly due to the reason I cited - they pool all the crypto assets and store it in their wallets "securely". Although they show wallets under your accounts, these wallets in your account do not hold real crypto....however you have ownership of the asset and can transfer/sell as you wish as long as you login to their account correctly. In short don't worry about getting private key associated with the coinbase wallet as you will not need it as long as you are trading bitcoins from within coinbase platform.

So if you got your account setup at coinbase, login and go to Accounts. Locate the Bitcoin wallet, click on Receive and it will display you the wallet address(alpha-numeric string of characters + qr code). You want to copy that address string and plugin it into blockchain.info wallet - transfer to address. Assuming you pay decent "miner" fees, your bitcoin will move from the blockchain.info wallet's to this coinbase's wallet. Due to recent volume/congestion on bitcoin network, it might take hours/days for your transaction to be "confirmed". Once its confirmed and shows in your coinbase account, you can sell it for USD from within coinbase platform only - without needing the dreaded "private key"

Hope you can cash in your prize ...
I know its hard for most users to get their head around this complexity, heck its even complicated for techies... So don't feel your are out of place.
I did that last night and it's hard to tell if it worked. Nothing said that the transaction went through and the balance in my coinbase wallet still shows zero.

Will this work? Wouldn't it allow anyone to transfer public BTC into their own coinbase wallets?

It sounds like you already make the transfer. You should at least see a "Pending" appear in you Coinbase Wallet if you had really low fees. Otherwise the bitcoin should be in your wallet.

Also, reading this post I checked out Blockchain.info for the first time and played around with it. The seed that they give you to recover your wallet is a BIP39 Mnenomic. You can import them in other wallets/tools and it will generate a list of addresses and private keys for you. So for every address you have, it'll generate a corresponding private key when using that seed. So your private key is not lost as long as you have the seed.

But it looks like you're set anyway.
I'm far from "set." The coinbase transaction has not taken place as of now (and I doubt that it ever will). It's not logical that my BTC sand private key can be transfered to my coinbase wallet and not to other wallets. Besides, BTC is starting what may be it's inevitable crash and I still don't have my free sub.

pondering

Post by pondering » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:52 pm

The state can no longer escheat your funds. Another possible way to get bitcoin regulated.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:12 pm

pondering wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:52 pm
The state can no longer escheat your funds. Another possible way to get bitcoin regulated.

Oh! You mean steal. Why didn't you say that? :happy

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:24 pm

There's an article in the online WSJ today about lost bitcoin. This article may be behind a paywall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/good-news- ... 1513701480

Philip Neumeier bought 15 bitcoins for around $260 in 2013, when he was deciding whether to accept the virtual currency on his e-commerce site. Now that his cache is approaching $300,000 in value, he is hoping to recover a long-forgotten password. He’s considered hypnosis, but for now opted to build a supercomputer that tries to use “brute force” to crack the code.

The five foot-tall computer system is working so hard that it sits in a 270 gallon tank in special mineral water to disperse the heat it generates. Still, Mr. Neumeier figures it could take a couple hundred years to run through all the possible combinations of letters, numbers and symbols.

“I should probably be about 332 years old by then—hopefully bitcoin will be worth something,” he says.

pondering

Post by pondering » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 pm

The other way I’m surprised that bitcoin isn’t being regulated is by the lottery officials.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:19 pm

I may delve into litecoin now that I've failed at bitcoin. Smaller sub sandwich?

techrover

Post by techrover » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 am

Reubin wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm far from "set." The coinbase transaction has not taken place as of now (and I doubt that it ever will). It's not logical that my BTC sand private key can be transfered to my coinbase wallet and not to other wallets. Besides, BTC is starting what may be it's inevitable crash and I still don't have my free sub.
Reubin - did your transfer include any "miner" fee in your transfer from blockchain.info wallet to coinbase wallet ? I believe blockchain.info wallet transfer dynamically calculates and include the fees - if it did then just wait. Current fee is around 32$ or look up https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/bi ... es.html#3m . So to 0.05 btc, it would be 0.002 fee + 0.048 transaction amount. This is approx, the wallet would have done a better prediction of fee.

You have no issue around the private key because you are using hosted wallet. As long as the fee part is taken care of, your transfer will go through.

fatlever

Post by fatlever » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:09 am

Reubin wrote:

Well, I am still feel you can get the private keys because you have the >>SEED<< for the original wallet or at least that is what I understood. I just find it hard to follow exactly where the problem is since I am not seeing what you're seeing.

Even with the drop, you should have $837 in Bitcoin, $167 in Bitcoin Cash and like $20 in Bitcoin gold :mrgreen:

Maybe you should try in next December when you're more motivated? Or if there is a big crash you won't care 8-)

feh

Post by feh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:07 am

techrover wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 am
Reubin wrote:

Reubin - did your transfer include any "miner" fee in your transfer from blockchain.info wallet to coinbase wallet ? I believe blockchain.info wallet transfer dynamically calculates and include the fees - if it did then just wait. Current fee is around 32$ or look up https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/bi ... es.html#3m . So to 0.05 btc, it would be 0.002 fee + 0.048 transaction amount. This is approx, the wallet would have done a better prediction of fee.

You have no issue around the private key because you are using hosted wallet. As long as the fee part is taken care of, your transfer will go through.
The wallet he is attempting to transfer from is not the original wallet he used to receive the funds. He does not have the private key associated with the address, nor does he have a way to determine it.

He does not have access to the funds. Game over.

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:17 am

Just this thread alone proves there are too many hoops and chances to permanently lose your money forever for Bitcoin to ever become mainstream. Think about how many times your parents forget their Wi-Fi or email or ISP password. Now imagine every time that happens, they are bankrupt.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:06 pm

techrover wrote:
He created a NEW wallet. His OLD hosted wallet had the bitcoin in it.

Him mucking around with his NEW wallet over and over and over again is doing nothing.

He needs to log into his OLD, ORIGINAL wallet. If he remembers what exchange it was on, maybe he can recover it.

techrover

Post by techrover » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:23 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:06 pm
techrover wrote:

Him mucking around with his NEW wallet over and over and over again is doing nothing.

He needs to log into his OLD, ORIGINAL wallet. If he remembers what exchange it was on, maybe he can recover it.
My bad - I must have overlooked that part...I was thinking the OP was able to login to his original wallet...
Nevermind then, the btc can't be recovered unless OP can get in the original wallet.

Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:05 pm

techrover wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:23 pm
HomerJ wrote:
techrover wrote:

My bad - I must have overlooked that part...I was thinking the OP was able to login to his original wallet...
Nevermind then, the btc can't be recovered unless OP can get in the original wallet.
I didn't think that I would do this but here is the link to the blockchain page where the original transaction took place 4 years ago.

1ot2durorPj3oGTeYNJ4vWLi9U7dJP48f

If anyone goes to blockchain.info and types this into the search engine and presses enter you'll see the original transaction. It gives me an option on that page to open my wallet and sign into it however the wallet that it defaults to is my new blockchain wallet and not the original one.

If you want to hack into it and are able to I'd appreciate a free sub (at the least) for helping you.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:42 pm

And if the hacking works, please do not tell anybody about it but rather go after the billion dollar account as previously described here.

feh

Post by feh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:22 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:42 pm
And if the hacking works, please do not tell anybody about it but rather go after the billion dollar account as previously described here.
+1

Knowing the address is useless. Without the private key, the funds are not accessible.

I run a bitcoin node at home. I can see every transaction that has ever taken place. Doesn't make a bit of difference.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:26 am

feh wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:22 pm
wrongfunds wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:42 pm
+1

Knowing the address is useless. Without the private key, the funds are not accessible.

I run a bitcoin node at home. I can see every transaction that has ever taken place. Doesn't make a bit of difference.
I found the video I was talking about up-thread!

techrover

Post by techrover » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:49 am

Reubin wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:05 pm
techrover wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:23 pm
HomerJ wrote:
techrover wrote:

I didn't think that I would do this but here is the link to the blockchain page where the original transaction took place 4 years ago.

If anyone goes to blockchain.info and types this into the search engine and presses enter you'll see the original transaction. It gives me an option on that page to open my wallet and sign into it however the wallet that it defaults to is my new blockchain wallet and not the original one.

If you want to hack into it and are able to I'd appreciate a free sub (at the least) for helping you.
While it will be very hard for someone to hack into the wallet just using the public address, you can try this only if you have recovery info for the first wallet. If you do not have recovery info for old wallet, then the effort required to hack is not worth the value you hold.

1. Login to new wallet. Unregister the watch address you created in your new wallet. This is not mandatory but just to unlink any relation between the address and the new wallet. Log out of the new wallet. Close the browser
2. Use a different machine or clear your browser cache.
3. Try to login to old wallet with the recovery info.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Reubin wrote:

I checked it out. Sorry, I could not hack it.

Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:49 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:34 pm
Reubin wrote:

I checked it out. Sorry, I could not hack it.
Me either.

brianH

Post by brianH » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:44 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:03 pm
therub wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:42 pm
That 2.5 billion dollar wallet is protected by a private key. The private key is the ONLY thing that protects that 2.5 billion
Whoa, that seems like pretty good incentive to throw a lot of computing power at it to hack the private key. How many bytes is a bitcoin private key, and are there mechanisms in place to keep one from just guessing a private key over and over and over?
A private key for a wallet is a 256 bit number, or 2 to the power of 256. To put that in a base more familiar to humans would be 10 to the 77th power.

In other words, around the estimated number of atoms in the universe, and a number so mind-bogglingly big that humans can't grasp it. Even if you used all the computing power on earth, it would take longer than the universe is expected to exist (cosmological theories differ here) to brute-force it. If, by some magic you developed a way to break 256 bit encryption, you'd be able to realize far more wealth by breaking other computer systems and government secrets.

But don't let me discourage you. If you broke 256 bit AES, you'd be one of the most famous mathematicians of the modern age.
Last edited by brianH on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monsterid

Post by monsterid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Reubin wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 pm
Hi. Four years ago someone online on a different forum was giving out small amounts of bitcoin as he was touting and promoting it. I signed up for an account on blockchain.info and sent him my blockchain address which I created (but I don't remember how exactly) and he generously gave me .05 bitcoin, worth about $15 at the time. It just sat there for years and I totally forgot about it.

Well with the recent meteoric rise it's now worth over $930 and I'd like to cash it out before it crashes. The only problem is that I do not have the private key, only the public key. When I enter the public key in the blockchain.info search engine I see the .05 BTC sitting there. I've opened a new blockchain.info wallet and was able to import the .05 BTC into it but because I don't have the private key it's a "watch only" in my wallet, where I have no control over it and can't sell it or spend it.

This is very frustrating to me and I would appreciate any help in extracting my BTC before it crashes. You can't believe how much time I've spent trying to figure this out.

Thanks!
I can help you do this for a small fee =) (joking).

1.Go to www.gemini.com -> signup for an account, then goto Transfer Funds -> Deposit to Exchange -> BTC and copy the address you are given
2. Login to Blockchain.info Click on your "bitcoin wallet". Select "Send", past in the address you go from Gemini (PASTE do not attempt to type this in).
3. Once you send it, it should take no more than 30 minutes to see the coins in Gemini
4. Sell the coins on gemini (0.25% fee)
5. Withdraw coins from Gemini -> Transfer Funds -> Withdraw from Exchange -> USD Bank Transfer

Done.

htj

Post by htj » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 am

Just restating what some others have said:
You need either the credentials or 12 word phrase for the original wallet. Without those, it's gone forever.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:01 am

brianH wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:44 pm
A private key for a wallet is a 256 bit number, or 2 to the power of 256. To put that in a base more familiar to humans would be 10 to the 77th power.

In other words, around the estimated number of atoms in the universe, and a number so mind-bogglingly big that humans can't grasp it. Even if you used all the computing power on earth, it would take longer than the universe is expected to exist (cosmological theories differ here) to brute-force it. If, by some magic you developed a way to break 256 bit encryption, you'd be able to realize far more wealth by breaking other computer systems and government secrets.

But don't let me discourage you. If you broke 256 bit AES, you'd be one of the most famous mathematicians of the modern age.

feh

Post by feh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:12 am

monsterid wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 pm

I can help you do this for a small fee =) (joking).

1.Go to www.gemini.com -> signup for an account, then goto Transfer Funds -> Deposit to Exchange -> BTC and copy the address you are given
2. Login to Blockchain.info Click on your "bitcoin wallet". Select "Send", past in the address you go from Gemini (PASTE do not attempt to type this in).
3. Once you send it, it should take no more than 30 minutes to see the coins in Gemini
4. Sell the coins on gemini (0.25% fee)
5. Withdraw coins from Gemini -> Transfer Funds -> Withdraw from Exchange -> USD Bank Transfer

Done.
Not sure if you're joking or not...

If it was this easy to transfer funds from any address, what utility would the blockchain serve?

monsterid

Re: Help Me [Recover] My Bitcoin!

Post by monsterid » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:05 am

I'm not joking.

I have blockchain.info wallet and I use gemini to buy/sell. This is literally how I do it.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:22 am

No point recovering it now...it's practically worthless. :happy

feh

Post by feh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:42 am

monsterid wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:05 am
I'm not joking.

I have blockchain.info wallet and I use gemini to buy/sell. This is literally how I do it.
Yes, when you have the wallet that was used to receive the funds. The OP does not.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:02 am

queso wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:22 am
Spoke too soon...now it's worth something again! :)

If anything, my experiment with crypto has underscored the fact that you can't time the market. With crypto you just learn the lesson at internet-speed and with gut wrenching swings.

Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:13 am

queso wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:02 am
queso wrote:

If anything, my experiment with crypto has underscored the fact that you can't time the market. With crypto you just learn the lesson at internet-speed and with gut wrenching swings.
With the recent crash in the price of BTC, I'm downsizing from my goal of a free sub sandwich to a smaller sandwich and now to a mini-sub.
Brother can you spare a dime?

queso

Post by queso » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 am

Reubin wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:13 am
queso wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:02 am
queso wrote:

With the recent crash in the price of BTC, I'm downsizing from a free sub sandwich to a smaller sandwich and now to a mini-sub.
yeah, I was down about half at one point. :shock: Now I am not sure if this is a dead cat bounce and I ought to sell or just go into index fund mode and stop looking at it and hope that when I remember to check it again in 6 months that I'm a Winklevoss twin.

Honestly, I don't know how people with any significant percentage of their net worth in this stuff can handle the swings.

feh

Post by feh » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:22 pm

queso wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 am

Honestly, I don't know how people with any significant percentage of their net worth in this stuff can handle the swings.
Which leads us to bitcoin axiom #1 - whatever funds one puts into cryptos should be money they are willing to lose. It's pure speculation.

monsterid

Post by monsterid » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:49 am

feh wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:42 am
monsterid wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:05 am
I'm not joking.

Yes, when you have the wallet that was used to receive the funds. The OP does not.
I thought he said he has the wallet ID and password?

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 am

feh

Post by feh » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:16 pm

monsterid wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:49 am
I thought he said he has the wallet ID and password?
He created a new wallet. He does not have access to the wallet used to receive the funds.

monsterid

Post by monsterid » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Yeah then he's done.

Topic Author
Reubin

Post by Reubin » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:38 am

bob60014 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 am
Now this is a recovery! :)
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 91371.html
You know, I think that I may still have my old PC where the original blockchain wallet was created. Hmmm.

queso

Post by queso » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Reubin wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:38 am
bob60014 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 am
Now this is a recovery! :)
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 91371.html
You know, I think that I may still have my old PC where the original blockchain wallet was created. Hmmm.
Hurry...before the internets run out of fomo.. :happy

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Planet Money just posted an episode, Bitcoin Losers, about, well, people who lose their bitcoins. They follow an actual bitcoin loser who had >$25,000; he thinks it's in a hard drive in a computer in his attic. He finds the computer. He finds the hard drive. It boots up. He finds the bitcoin directory. He finds an account. Then he finds that the last transaction in the account is 0.02 BTC out of the account, leaving zero, and remembers this was just a test transaction with a friend in which they sent a small amount of bitcoin back and forth to verify that it could be done. The person thinks, is pretty sure, that there must have been another wallet; but, as the episode ends, it hadn't been found.

They interview some researchers who believe that there are "between 2.7 and million and 3.7 million lost bitcoins," although the podcast didn't delve into how the estimate was made.

They also play a bit of a 2013 BBC interview about someone who threw away a hard drive with what was, at that time, $7.5 million worth of bitcoins on it; Those bitcoins James Howells lost are now worth more than a hundred million dollars."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:51 pm
Those bitcoins James Howells lost are now worth more than a hundred million dollars."
Head for the landfill...
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius