New Car - Always use parking brake ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
RRAAYY3

New Car - Always use parking brake ?

Post by RRAAYY3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:16 pm

New car with Automatic CVT transmission

It’s the first car I’ve ever purchased and I want it to last as long as possible. I’ve read that using the parking brake is good for the parking prawl as well as motor / transmission benefits.

How do you apply the parking brake correctly? I’ve been parking by hitting the brakes, then with the brake pedal down, using the e-brake, and then shifting into park (shifting from Drive to Park)

Is this correct? I park on a slight incline daily so I’d like to make sure I’m doing this correctly and not damaging my car

EHEngineer

Re: New Car - Always use parking brake ?

Post by EHEngineer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:40 pm

First car and you are already a gear head!

I dont have any actual evidence that using the parking brake helps durability. But here's couple things I always do.
1) When you use the park brake, set it firmly. If you set it softly you may accidentally drive through it and burn up the brake.
2) I use a sequence that relieves the stress on the transmission parking pin (and prevents the "clunk" when shifting out of park).
stop, leave foot on service brake.
set park brake
shift to neutral
release foot from service brake (park brake takes the load)
shift to park.

You can search for a forum dedicated to the make/model car you have where you can overload on details.
Good luck and enjoy that new car smell!
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:42 pm

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:16 pm

It’s the first car I’ve ever purchased and I want it to last as long as possible. I’ve read that using the parking brake is good for the parking prawl as well as motor / transmission benefits.

How do you apply the parking brake correctly? I’ve been parking by hitting the brakes, then with the brake pedal down, using the e-brake, and then shifting into park (shifting from Drive to Park)

Is this correct? I park on a slight incline daily so I’d like to make sure I’m doing this correctly and not damaging my car
I typically stop, keep the brake depressed, shift into park, set the emergency brake and then take my foot off the brake. Your method is fine too, you just need to set the emergency brake before taking your foot off the brake.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:51 pm

I only set it on inclines.

The sequence there is stop, foot on brake, car into park, then parking brake on.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 am

There is an additional reason for periodically setting the parking brake on most recent cars even if you always park flat and level. It used to be that backing up self-adjusted the brakes.

Now most new cars do not have separate parking brake pads. The parking brake deployment actually rotates and adjusts the rear brake pads when you apply and release the parking brake.

Note: This is a mechanical rotation/adjustment of the disk brake pistons. Anyone who does their own brakes knows the joy of using the special toolset to back the piston all the way out to make room for new pads.

Unfortunately, since almost nobody reads their owner's manual and nobody told them, many people seldom if ever set their parking brake. This very often causes accelerated wear of the rear brake pads. This causes the previously unheard-of common occurrence of rear brakes wearing out before front brakes.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:50 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 am

Now most new cars do not have separate parking brake pads. The parking brake deployment actually rotates and adjusts the rear brake pads when you apply and release the parking brake.
Disc brake pads do not "rotate." They sit in a groove and are pressed firmly onto the disc when braking.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:36 am

It might help if you read my entire post instead of cherry picking to find a gotcha.

First, I never said the brake pads rotated. I said the parking brake "deployment" rotated. Then immediately followed with a "Note:" where I further explained that this rotation adjusted the piston. The effect of this is to adjust the resting pad positions.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:55 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:50 am
Spirit Rider wrote:

Disc brake pads do not "rotate." They sit in a groove and are pressed firmly onto the disc when braking.
The brakes on my Honda Civic are just as Spirit Rider described. I'm hoping those pads last a long time so I don't have to fuss with that!

chevca

Post by chevca » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:35 am

I have rarely used the parking brake with all the automatic cars I've owned. Other than a steep incline, it never gets used in my cars. Never had any issues that would have come from lack of parking brake use. I don't think it helps or hurts much to use it. If you feel like it would give you peace of mind, use it often.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:22 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
While I haven't done any kind of comprehensive analysis, I haven't seen any "recent" changes to parking brake implementation. Honda Civics have used the existing rear brake at least back to 1975 (I owned a 75 Civic CVCC) and up to at least the mid 90's. Have not personally taken one apart that's newer than that but would think they still do it the same way. All Subarus us a separate drum brake setup inside of the rear rotor. As a matter of fact, all with the same bolt pattern are interchangable and a "poor man's" brake upgrade for Impreza sized cars is to replace the rotor and caliper bracket with a similar generation Outback or Legacy (I've done this).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:28 am

I just got rid of a Subaru Outback after it needed a new "electronic" parking brake at 70000 miles to the tune of $1300. It perhaps was used by the driver a dozen times over 5 years.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:28 am

chevca wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:35 am
I have rarely used the parking brake with all the automatic cars I've owned. Other than a steep incline, it never gets used in my cars.
I almost never use a parking brake (maybe occasionally on a really steep hill) and I have not ridden with anyone who does. It does not seem to be customary around our parts for whatever reason. Back in the day, I remember the cable/mechanism would often seize up from corrosion caused by winter road salt. That may account for it.

liberty53

Post by liberty53 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am

My 2018 Toyota Camry automatically sets and releases the parking brake when going to drive or park. I'm assuming Toyota studied the tradeoffs and there is benefit to having the brake set when parked.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:56 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
There is an additional reason for periodically setting the parking brake on most recent cars even if you always park flat and level. It used to be that backing up self-adjusted the brakes.

Note: This is a mechanical rotation/adjustment of the disk brake pistons. Anyone who does their own brakes knows the joy of using the special toolset to back the piston all the way out to make room for new pads.

Unfortunately, since almost nobody reads their owner's manual and nobody told them, many people seldom if ever set their parking brake. This very often causes accelerated wear of the rear brake pads. This causes the previously unheard-of common occurrence of rear brakes wearing out before front brakes.
I don't have a "recent car" and had no idea what you were talking about until I looked it up just now. Wow new cars are all over the map on how they do parking brakes on rear disks - it's not like the old days where more or less all brakes worked the same and you could use any old c-clamp to compress the pistons into the calipers.

But I haven't figured out how not using the parking brake causes wear. I don't doubt it but do you have a reference?

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:04 am

What does the owners manual recommend? Having almost always lived in the mountains, parking brake use is a deeply ingrained habit for me.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:29 am

I don’t see any specific recommendations in the manual - and it has an automatic feature to disengage the parking break when the gas is hit (I remember to do it manually, but nice to know anyway)

I’m only asking because I did something I never thought I would do - buy a car rather than lease. Now that it’s my new baby, I wanna take as good care of it as I can

The new Civic Hatchback Sport really is an incredible car and has performed really well in 2 snow storms already - it’s basically a combo of my last 2 cars - Audi A4 “fun” with roominess of my Jeep. I don’t know how they did it, but the car is so much fun to drive and yet somehow feels more spacious than my Jeep while I’m driving it.

Well done, Honda.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:42 am

Cars with rear disc brakes have a small drum brake within the inner rotor. That is for the parking brake.
Transmissions in "park" engage a "pawl" which engages a notch in the drive gear. Using the parking brake, especially on hills, takes the stress off of the "pawl". That's why shifting out of park on an incline makes a "thunk" because the "pawl" is forced out of the drive gear notch. Old School thought is to engage the parking brake on an incline before putting in park and vs vs so that the pawl doesn't prematurely wear out.
This is a very Old School Gearhead point of view.
j :D

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:44 am

As at least one other has posted, setting the parking brake is likely not a big deal on gentle inclines but it's important on steep ones both for the mechanical health of your car and for safety reasons. If parallel parking you should also turn your wheels toward the curb when facing downhill and away from the curb when facing uphill. This puts the face of the front tire against the curb (or close to it as long as you're a decent parker) which then acts as a wheel chock and adds an additional level of safety. This is especially important with a manual transmission.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Chip

Post by Chip » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:50 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:42 am
Cars with rear disc brakes have a small drum brake within the inner rotor. That is for the parking brake.
Not all of them. See Spirit Rider's posts.

My 2013 Accord has a mechanical device that pushes the disc brake pads into contact with the rotor. No separate little drum brake thingie. Though my early 90s Subaru had that.

I would be surprised if the transmission parking pawl wasn't engineered to accept the stress of putting the car in park before applying the parking brake.

I always use the parking brake, set firmly. Normally after shifting into Park. Never had a problem with it rusting, sticking, etc. Nor any broken parking pawls. But I've never lived in a place where I regularly parked on steep hills.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:52 am

I never use it on an automatic except on a incline, which is rare around here. I may exercise the cable, set it once a month just to prevent rust lockup in the brake cable, but that's about it.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 am

Have always used the parking brake but driving standard cars most of my life. For automatics, I doubt it makes much difference except maybe in extreme environments and even then, I doubt it. It is probably there as a measure of extra safety should car slip out of gear.* Not for nothing but it was called the emergency brake for the longest time—probably meant in part as a stop gap to slow down if brakes failed. These concepts seem anachronistic these days.

This covers the main points.
https://instamotor.com/blog/the-great-p ... ake-debate

* For the youngins, in the old days, you could easily leave the car in neutral, drive or reverse and take the keys and walk away. Say you left it in reverse, not solidly engaged and someone bumped your car while parking theirs. It could slip into neutral and roll. Even if the car only moved a little, someone walking between cars might be hurt.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:00 am

Chip wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:50 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:42 am
Not all of them. See Spirit Rider's posts.

My 2013 Accord has a mechanical device that pushes the disc brake pads into contact with the rotor. No separate little drum brake thingie. Though my early 90s Subaru had that.

I would be surprised if the transmission parking pawl wasn't engineered to accept the stress of putting the car in park before applying the parking brake.

I always use the parking brake, set firmly. Normally after shifting into Park. Never had a problem with it rusting, sticking, etc. Nor any broken parking pawls. But I've never lived in a place where I regularly parked on steep hills.
Thanks.
I did not know that.
Things have sure changed in the "modern world". . . :shock:
j

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
I suggest that safety is much more important than having the car last a long time.

Be diligent about other safe parking practices, such as turning front wheels to the left when parking uphill with a curb, and to the right going downhill. Set automatic transmission to Park - not neutral.

Once upon a time - (now completely out of date) - this was called the "Emergency Brake". The idea back then was that if your brakes completely failed (an Emergency) - you pulled on the "Energency Brake".

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
I use a large wrench over the Piston, then a c-clamp to squeeze the Piston down. Seems to work fine without a special tool.

I do hate drum brakes with all the springs and exact alignment. Disc brakes are so much easier. Worth the added cost.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 am

I ALWAYS set the parking brake, otherwise the entire weight of the car is carried by the transmission.

Our Volvo XC90 comes with an electronic parking brake, it is actuated by a button/switch. It also has an "auto activate parking brake" feature :wink:

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 am

Yeah mine is an electronic parking break as well

One flick and it’s easily engaged/disengaged - just trying to make sure I do it in the correct order so I’m not actually screwing up the transmission by mistake

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 am

If the car is on level ground I don't set the parking brake. Using it does no harm, but it does no good either.

On an incline I always set it. You don't want the car's mass to rest completely against the pawl. It's not designed for that. My sequence is to stop the car with the real brakes, set the parking brake and put the tranny into Park last.

In the winter I avoid setting the parking brake unless absolutely necessary, like on an incline. The cable can freeze in the fully braked (locked) postion, especially if there is ice/snow build up and the temperature is below freezing.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Do exactly the same thing, every time, in the same order.

1. Stop the car, foot on the brake.
2. Turn off the headlights. (You DO drive with the headlights on, right?)
3. Shift to park.
4. Set parking brake.
5. Release foot brake.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Once you getting the habit of using the parking brake every time it becomes second nature-you don't even notice doing it any more.

Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:12 pm

In the old days I would pull up on the parking brake handle a little to slow the car down if I was going a bit too fast and if I noticed a police car behind me and I didn't want him to see my brake lights come on. This wouldn't work with those parking brakes that have a pedal you have to push all the way down to release it - that could be ugly and sure to attract attention!

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:48 pm

Gort wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:12 pm
In the old days I would pull up on the parking brake handle a little to slow the car down if I was going a bit too fast and if I noticed a police car behind me and I didn't want him to see my brake lights come on. This wouldn't work with those parking brakes that have a pedal you have to push all the way down to release it - that could be ugly and sure to attract attention!
Those WERE the good old days! And you could get a partway decent used car for a couple hundred dollars.

blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:52 pm

Gort wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Slow down? In the old days, I used the parking brake handle in my manual 5-speed Toyota for pulling J-turns at speed. Now that was fun!

Seriously, though, an interesting thread. I rarely use the parking brake, but I may have to rethink now. Both vehicles have the electronic version.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Also if you are driving and the car seems unusually sluggish, release the parking brake!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

mirror

Post by mirror » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 am
RRAAYY3 wrote:
I suggest that safety is much more important than having the car last a long time.

Be diligent about other safe parking practices, such as turning front wheels to the left when parking uphill with a curb, and to the right going downhill. Set automatic transmission to Park - not neutral.

Once upon a time - (now completely out of date) - this was called the "Emergency Brake". The idea back then was that if your brakes completely failed (an Emergency) - you pulled on the "Energency Brake".
I had always known it as an emergency brake and assumed it was for emergency situations if the brake pedals failed for some reason.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 am

With brake pedal depressed, I put the car in park, engage the parking brake, and then turn off the lights, engine, and remove the keys. It’s a safety habit. — Tet

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:45 am

So, pulling into my spot, engaging the parking brake, then shifting into park is ok?

Seems like the most important part is putting the parking brake / e brake on as long as I’m pressing the brake pedal too

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 pm

I use the parking brake all the time. It's a habit.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:31 pm

mxs wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 am
Spirit Rider wrote:
I use a large wrench over the Piston, then a c-clamp to squeeze the Piston down. Seems to work fine without a special tool.

I do hate drum brakes with all the springs and exact alignment. Disc brakes are so much easier. Worth the added cost.
How does a large wrench help when the piston only has tiny depressions to grab it with?

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Y.A.Tittle wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 am

In the winter I avoid setting the parking brake unless absolutely necessary, like on an incline. The cable can freeze in the fully braked (locked) postion, especially if there is ice/snow build up and the temperature is below freezing.
I had this happen to me a few years ago on my F-150. By the time I figured out what was going on, I needed new pads...
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:47 pm

OK, I am confused.....For automatic transmissions, do you set the parking brake before OR after you engage into Park? :? Does it make a difference?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Traveler wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 pm
I use the parking brake all the time. It's a habit.
Me too, but I've only owned manual transmission vehicles for the last 15 years. It irks me that my subaru (manual transmission) has an electronic parking break instead of a manual brake, and has a warning about freezing up in cold temperatures. Hard to break the habit when it's cold out and not set the brake.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 pm

OK, I am confused.....For automatic transmissions, do you set the parking brake before OR after you engage into Park? :? Does it make a difference?
Depends, is it winter and are your snow tires mounted?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Interesting thread. I've never used a parking brake unless on a steep incline. Never had an issue that I'm aware of.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Pinotage wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 pm
Its winter, but no snow tires.....I use all weather radials.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:33 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:31 pm
mxs wrote:
Spirit Rider wrote:

How does a large wrench help when the piston only has tiny depressions to grab it with?
I don't understand either since rotation retracts the new piston type and you can't compress to get them to retract.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:56 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:13 pm
Pinotage wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 pm
Its winter, but no snow tires.....I use all weather radials.
YES! An unbiased answer, love it!

mxs

Post by mxs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:49 pm

tibbitts wrote:
mxs wrote:
Spirit Rider wrote:

Hard to describe but here goes. I put the handle part of the wrench on the Piston, like the top of a capital "T". The Piston is the vertical middle of the "T". The c-clamp squeezes the top and bottom of the "T", depressing the Piston. I may have used two c-clamps on opposite ends of the wrench. You could use something other than a wrench, but it works and is readily available.

This is for a disc brake when depressing the Piston on the caliper, instead of buying the specific tool that does the same function. A wrench and a c-clamp or two are more useful than that specialized tool.

I think the last time I did brakes I just pushed hard on the wrench with the caliper against the rotor or wheel hub and that was enough to fit the new pads in.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:33 pm
tibbitts wrote:
mxs wrote:
Spirit Rider wrote:

I don't understand either since rotation retracts the new piston type and you can't compress to get them to retract.
I've been able to compress without rotation. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it works. 2004 Olds Alero specifically.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 pm

mxs wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:49 pm
tibbitts wrote:
mxs wrote:
Spirit Rider wrote:

Hard to describe but here goes. I put the handle part of the wrench on the Piston, like the top of a capital "T". The Piston is the vertical middle of the "T". The c-clamp squeezes the top and bottom of the "T", depressing the Piston. I may have used two c-clamps on opposite ends of the wrench. You could use something other than a wrench, but it works and is readily available.

This is for a disc brake when depressing the Piston on the caliper, instead of buying the specific tool that does the same function. A wrench and a c-clamp or two are more useful than that specialized tool.

I think the last time I did brakes I just pushed hard on the wrench with the caliper against the rotor or wheel hub and that was enough to fit the new pads in.
Well in the old days you just did that, but my understanding now is that you have to rotate the piston in the caliper, not just push the piston in like in the old days, and that's what the tools are for - turning the piston. And my understanding is that both rotating that piston AND compressing it require considerably force. Today you seemingly have to rotate the piston while simultaneously using the c-clamp type device to drive it into the caliper.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:08 pm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... SeP9CIyLp4

Seems front discs you can compress, rear discs you have to spin. Maybe all discs you have to spin now with newer cars. Hopefully it is for better brakes, and not to make money selling that tool.