Dependent Childcare FSA

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
raamakoti

Dependent Childcare FSA

Post by raamakoti »

We contribute $5000 per year for Childcare expenses. My daughter would be starting her Kindergarten 2018 - Sep.
So 2018 could be the last year we can contribute pretax 5000 towards this expense. But Kindergarten is between 8 to 4, however montessori school does offer other programs between 4 to 6 PM. They call it extended care, if we enroll in those programs then we can keep her there after school hours and during summer holidays when public schools are closed.
We both are working parents and 6 PM is the cut off we are used to, changing it to 4 would require asking few favors at work so don't know how it may workout.

Question - can we contribute towards dependent care FSA (5k max) in 2019 and beyond? I will check with employer as well but wanted to see what fellow BH did. :happy having another child is another way but, can't for many reasons.
MilleniumBuc

Re: Dependent Childcare FSA

Post by MilleniumBuc »

I submit my daughters after school care at school and the summer day camps, and both have been reimbursable accepted charges.
totesmagotes

Post by totesmagotes »

See https://www.fsafeds.com/explore/dcfsa/expenses for a sample of some relevant eligible expenses. In your case, you can see that "extended care" (e.g., before- and after-school care) is eligible.

As long as you have eligible expenses, have earned income, and have an employer who offers the program, you can contribute to and get reimbursed from a dependent care FSA. Note that, in general, expenses are considered eligible if they are needed in order for you to work. If you are married, both you and your spouse need to work in order for an expense to be eligible (which is why day camps are eligible but sleep-away camps are not). School tuition is not eligible, though preschool and daycare fees are.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

You can use the FSA for eligible expenses as long as your child is under the age of 13 at the time of the expense. And, as others have said, after school care and summer day programs are eligible expenses.