Property Insurance - Considering Switching

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ddurrett896

Property Insurance - Considering Switching

Post by ddurrett896 »

Currently insure property thru State Farm and think about making a change. Prices increases on vehicles that lose value and I get the sense they don't really care to help when I talk to my agent.

Started life with State Farm because of my parents and continued to add, never shopping around. Below is what I'm currently paying in premiums.

2015 Honda Pilot (full coverage): $650
2012 Toyota 4runner (full coverage: $600
House ($225k value): $945
Condo rental: $284
Wedding ring ($20k): $103
Total: $2,580

Another concern is because I haven't changed providers, I don't know what's involved to move the house/condo insurance since it's not paid by me directly. They are both rolled into a mortgage. Thanks for any help and recommendations!!
sport

Re: Property Insurance - Considering Switching

Post by sport »

ddurrett896 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:44 am I get the sense they don't really care to help when I talk to my agent.
If you are unhappy with your SF agent, you can always change to another one. I did. There are generally plenty to choose from. My new agent is much more responsive than the old one. Call a few of them and discuss your concerns. You should be able to find one you like.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

ddurrett896 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:44 am Currently insure property thru State Farm and think about making a change. Prices increases on vehicles that lose value and I get the sense they don't really care to help when I talk to my agent.

Started life with State Farm because of my parents and continued to add, never shopping around. Below is what I'm currently paying in premiums.

2015 Honda Pilot (full coverage): $650
2012 Toyota 4runner (full coverage: $600
House ($225k value): $945
Condo rental: $284
Wedding ring ($20k): $103
Total: $2,580

Another concern is because I haven't changed providers, I don't know what's involved to move the house/condo insurance since it's not paid by me directly. They are both rolled into a mortgage. Thanks for any help and recommendations!!
If you have not already done so, I suggest a full review of all coverage with your State Farm agent. You may achieve savings by having accurate information and/or coverage you choose. We do this regularly with our State Farm agent.

1. Is your house value insured too high? You should only insure the home and related - and not the value of the home including land value.
2. Are you getting all of the multiple policy discounts
3.Have you increased (or considered) deductibles on vehicle collision and comprehensive?
4. Are there any coverages that you do not need or are not worth the cost? (perhaps towing or rental car - depending on circumstances)
Topic Author
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

dm200 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am 1. Is your house value insured too high? You should only insure the home and related - and not the value of the home including land value.
I think it’s priced right and only includes the home, not land.
dm200 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am 2. Are you getting all of the multiple policy discounts
I am. The only thing I can add is a GPS sensor in my car to monitor my driving which gains me a 5% discount on auto. A little too intrusive for me. Everything else is bundled.
dm200 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am 3.Have you increased (or considered) deductibles on vehicle collision and comprehensive?
Vehicles are at $1,000 deductible.
dm200 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am 4. Are there any coverages that you do not need or are not worth the cost? (perhaps towing or rental car - depending on circumstances)
I’ll look into this, however I don’t think it will net too much if so. Thanks!!
deikel

Post by deikel »

There are great regional differences in these numbers, but for me your numbers look very reasonable aka I have almost the same

I found it very much worth my while to let other agencies look at my insurance need and make an offer - you can than still decide to negotiate, leave or stay...having said that, I am up to do just that again soon.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 »

I can only dream of premiums so low.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Looks good to me pay $400 on a car with only liability. My house is worth less than half of your but your number and mine are close.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack