Sams Club self checkout

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Conch55

Sams Club self checkout

Post by Conch55 »

This may be old news to some BHs but our local Sams Club recently upgraded their checkout lanes to include a number of self service choices. These new lanes are in addition to the Scan and Go app discussed on this forum. These new aisles are equipped with a scanner and touchscreen. Worked well.

The actionable part (I hope): saves time to spend reading this forum :D
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Re: Sams Club self checkout

Post by JohnFiscal »

Our local Sam's has had those for several years. Some of them always seemed to be non-functional with large queues at the till.

At that store there were such major backups at all tills, self-check and not (and with so few manned tills open), that eventually our actionable process became to let our membership lapse due to the unpleasantness of the checkout experience.

ETA: in general I prefer the self-serve mode (sort of the old Vanguard mode) and self-checkouts are fine by me.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

My local grocery store recently removed all the self-checkouts (there were four of them) as they simply had too many problems with them.
JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal »

DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:32 pm My local grocery store recently removed all the self-checkouts (there were four of them) as they simply had too many problems with them.
In grocery stores the scanner glass has to be kept clean, it'll get very dirty with grocery products.

Self-check at Home Depot is great.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Self checkout has been on the rise most everywhere. I'm waiting for the "just walk out" type of shopping
(Amazon Go ad:) https://youtu.be/NrmMk1Myrxc
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I typically avoid stores that are big enough to have self checkouts. But on the rare occasions that I do, I have noticed that the self checkouts are much better than they were a decade ago.
JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal »

I hafta say that one nice thing about the scanner at Sam's was it optionally had a handheld scanner (in lieu of the "glass" slide plate) so you could shoot a bunch of stuff in your cart, that was handy.
TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo »

In Kentucky, we had a Meijer's Department/Food store with self serve checkouts that used a normal conveyor belt both leading up to checkout and leading away from it. Items were "weighed" on the output belt and there was no slowdown in the checkout process. But I moved three years ago to Florida, and have seen nothing like it since.
Nothing, that is, until Walmart installed a similar device a month ago. This one does no weighing, but has a camera aimed at the output belt that could be monitored but is probably only there to keep the honest people honest. The speed up is wonderful! I can get out of the store in a hurry, bypassing the typical long lines at the regular check outs.
Next best thing to a "just walk out" checkout system.
Is that like one of the self check out options available at Sam's? If so, I may need to look into a new membership.
“Love with your heart; Use your brain for everything else.” -Captain Disillusion
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.