Concert Decision and Advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
roamin survivor

Concert Decision and Advice

Post by roamin survivor »

Disclaimer: Yes, I get that there’s no universal consensus/definition about worth. This is probably more about input, advice, past experiences, etc. to help decide if this is worthwhile to me.

I am thinking about attending my first concert, but feeling on the fence with the work involved and experience. Artist is my fave and doing US tour for their new album. Liking the first few songs dropped so far. Artist is US-based, not world famous or anything; we’re talking indoor theaters, not fields, arenas, or stadiums.

However, two things are giving me pause. First, I tend to find recorded music to be better than live, but this is based off Youtube, which I’m sure cell phone video is not of quality sound. Another issue is time, as I would be taking the day/half-day off work for the driving distance and to avoid the daily SF Bay Area traffic. Public transportation is unfortunately out due to schedule.

Since this is a new thing for me, I’m also open to advice that can help make sure this turn out to be a great night if I do end up going. So, with all the work involved, does this seem worthwhile? What else do I need to reflect on to help decide?
MJW

Re: Concert Decision and Advice

Post by MJW »

You're probably overthinking this. :)

If you choose not to attend this time, or drag your feet until it's too late to make a decision, you will be faced with the very same dilemma sometime in the future. You might as well do it and use the experience to decide whether it was "worth it" to you.

For what it's worth, I do not attend many concerts, but a few years ago I won tickets through my employer to see Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, one of my favorites. I actually went through a similar process of dreading the traffic, figuring out where to park, getting back really late at night and still having to get up early for work the next morning. For obvious reasons, I am glad I chose to attend. It was a great show that I will always remember, and whatever stress/exhaustion I experienced as a result is long gone.
Last edited by MJW on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Way, way, way overthinking. "It's only rock'n roll..."
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

roamin survivor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:08 am I would be taking the day/half-day off work for the driving distance and to avoid the daily SF Bay Area traffic
Many Bay Area cities have free summer concert series; if you have never been to a concert, perhaps try one of those to see if you like the experience.

I personally enjoy live music and go to a lot of free concerts, and occasionally to paid events.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Just do it. We will tell you later whether it was worth it or not. :)

I've flown to another city, got picked up at airport, driven to restaurant near concert venue, ate, attended concert, slept at hotel near concert venue, then driven to airport. Back home in less than 24 hours. It was FANTASTIC! Note: No work for me AT ALL. Just show up and enjoy!

And since Tom Petty was mentioned, saw him too within last couple of years, but Steve Winwood was opening and that was a treat all by itself.

Our family now has a Christmas tradition to go to a live performance. Christmas Day: Steelers vs Texans. See you there.

And it is not necessarily the concert, but who you go with that makes it memorable.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Just go.

If you want to be in a calm area and are seeing Disturbed, don't go in the mosh pit. Don't expect it to be technically as good as the recordings because they're not doing 21 takes and a month of post production. They could be great, they could not. I've seen great and really boring but all were worth going to. Don't overthink but bring a sweatshirt so that if it gets cold, you're not stuck buying a generic sweatshirt from a vendor there for $200.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Nobody can predict whether it will be a great experience for you or not. If you think you will enjoy it, go. If you don't, stay at home and work instead.

It would not be a close decision for me at all. I don't regret going to any concert I have ever attended. I regret a bunch that I have missed. YMMV.
telemark

Post by telemark »

A good live performance has an excitement and electricity that a recording can't match. Not all live performances are good, but this can't be predicted; that's part of what makes them interesting.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

In my experience - if you are talking "Indoor theatre" for an artist you really like you have a much better chance of enjoying yourself.
The concerts I have attended (and I've been to many) that left a bad taste with me are the ones at football stadiums whereby it took 90 minutes to exit the parking lot after a 90 minute concert.
Go for it - if you don't like you won't go again - but you may end up loving the experience and find a new outlet to add excitement to your life.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Just go. Buy good seats, but not too close to the stage. Take earplugs just in case it's too loud.
PVW

Post by PVW »

Live music is an experience. Often the experience depends on the performer, venue, crowd, companions, etc. Some people really enjoy it, some don't. You should go to find out if you do.

For example, one of my favorite musicians is Eric Clapton, but he doesn't put on much of a performance. The songs might be arranged differently than the recording, and you'll probably get some excellent solos, but when I've seen him live he is always pretty subdued. I'd rather listen to his recorded music. On the other hand, seeing Buddy Guy live for the first time changed my life.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

I feel like you are going about this the wrong way.

Part of the joy of a mass event is the shared experience. Being with friends, meeting new people, even just dancing alone in a mob. So there is that.

Part of the joy of a live event is the unexpected. My most memorable moments of live concerts is when the artist deviated from what was expected and did something new and different. How would you feel if the signer took a completely new take on their classic song? Some people would feel like they have been robbed but not I. I sometimes find that I enjoy the unknown opening act more than the main act. Plus there is all of the stuff that goes around the concert. You said you would have to take a full day off? Do something else new and unexpected.

My advice is that when one is trying new things one should have zero expectations.View things with a new eye, go with the flow. You can't live everyday like this but there is a benefit in trying new random things. Preconceptions tend to limit one's view.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
HiroProtag

Post by HiroProtag »

Just go.

I really want to know who the artist/band is :)
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Go, before your favorite makes it to the really big ($$$$$) time. Or disbands. Or overdoses.

One of my greatest regrets is not going to see a few of my favorites. Sadly, they won't be playing any more concerts here on earth. One of my favorites just passed, Tom Petty. Figured I'd get another chance. Figured wrong.

I'm a bit surprised that so many of my favorite groups from the 70ties made it through to the present. Of course a good number didn't. The old rockers can still play pretty well, but their voices are usually gone. Though, many weren't considered good singers even when they were in their prime.

My rambling point is this: See your faves when you can, NOW! You never know what is in store for them, or, for that matter, yourself.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Derby

Post by Derby »

DO IT!
livesoft wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 am I've flown to another city, got picked up at airport, driven to restaurant near concert venue, ate, attended concert, slept at hotel near concert venue, then driven to airport. Back home in less than 24 hours. It was FANTASTIC!
Yup, me too. More than once. :D

OP, Remember that it's better to regret doing something than to regret not doing something.

Do it, then come back to this thread and tell us how it was. (And tell us the artist and the venue too!)
Carpe Diem.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

By all means go! If this is your first experience you'll have a blast. I think my first concert was The Mothers Of Invention in 1968, it was in a bar! Frank stopped at our table!
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
roamin survivor

All right, y’all won me over. I treat myself to new experiences as birthday gifts and was thinking this was going to be it, but kinda got soured over how much effort it would be. So yeah, I’ll be moving forward with it after being called out on my laziness and overthinking. Especially with the effort a lot of you put in for your trips.

HiroProtag wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 pmI really want to know who the artist/band is :)
Derby wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pmDo it, then come back to this thread and tell us how it was. (And tell us the artist and the venue too!)
For the curious, it’s Mat Kearney. Missed the last time he was around, but wasn’t devastated or anything about it, which was another reason I gave pause this time around.

Thanks for the advice so far with open expectations and concert-going. Thankfully, this isn't a budget-buster (tix+gas are less than $100), so this'll be a cheap experiment.
MJW

Post by MJW »

livesoft wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:34 am And since Tom Petty was mentioned, saw him too within last couple of years, but Steve Winwood was opening and that was a treat all by itself.
Yep, same here. Must have been the same tour. Both acts were great. Steve and his band received a huge ovation from the crowd when they wrapped up. I'm glad I went when I had the opportunity to see one of my favorite artists. Otherwise I probably would have just told myself I'll catch him another time he comes to town.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I can’t tell you how to decide to spend your free time.

But I am increasingly convinced that there is a successful internet business model that will, just waiting to be developed.

Good luck,

JT
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Agree just go. We enjoy concerts and for the past few years we've been doing the "Dead Pool" concerts, artists that are aging and their concert days are numbered. It's been a blast!
Derby

Post by Derby »

roamin survivor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:37 pm For the curious, it’s Mat Kearney. Missed the last time he was around, but wasn’t devastated or anything about it, which was another reason I gave pause this time around.

Thanks for the advice so far with open expectations and concert-going. Thankfully, this isn't a budget-buster (tix+gas are less than $100), so this'll be a cheap experiment.
The Fox is a great venue, btw. I expect you'll be glad you went. :sharebeer
Carpe Diem.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

I've been to hundreds of concerts going back to 1972 and have kept the ticket stubs to prove it. Growing up in Northern New Jersey, I had a wealth of opportunities to see live music in the area. I've seen incredible shows and some duds. Every venue size imaginable. Sometimes I went solo and sometimes I schlepped a friend along. It was a number of years before I started taking time off from work/traveling long distances to see shows. I guess you could say I've been there/done that.
I would recommend going. It would be great if you could bring somebody along for the adventure. These days, I mostly go to acoustic shows in smaller venues. Just one or two shows a year.
MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 »

you must go. if you don't you'll always regret that one time you didn't go when you had a chance to see them in a small venue, or before they broke up, or before they sold out, or that one member quit and they sucked after that.. you get the idea.

i've been to a ton of shows and the best ones were bands who were on the cusp of stardom playing in a divey concert venue before they hit it big and you could only see them in big corporate venues after that tour. stadium shows are terrible except for the 'i was there' factor.
researcher

Post by researcher »

roamin survivor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:08 am]feeling on the fence with the work involved...
Another issue is time, as I would be taking the day/half-day off work for the driving distance and to avoid the daily SF Bay Area traffic...
So, with all the work involved, does this seem worthwhile...
but kinda got soured over how much effort it would be...
I'm curious...what is it about attending a concert that you feel involves so much "work/effort"?

Does it require any more effort than, say...
- Going to the grocery store
- Going on vacation
- Attending any other event, visiting a museum, ect
Jamieson22

Post by Jamieson22 »

I have driven and flown across the country to see concerts. I have flown to Paris to see 10 concerts in 2 weeks by the same band.

Don't overthink this, just go.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

I do not feel comfortable in big crowds like that. I find I cannot lose myself in them as some can. SO I do not go, wife has friends that love concerts and she goes with them. I would rather read a book, or make something. Must be the introvert in me.
SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff »

Go! But don't judge the concert experience on your attendance at one concert. You need to see several to make an informed judgement. I've been to many concerts in my life, and while some were memorable and wonderful, some were truly awful and a waste of my time and money. As others have said, it can depend on who you see, where you see them, who you see them with, and what kind of a night the band you're seeing is having.
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

forgeblast wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 am I do not feel comfortable in big crowds like that. I find I cannot lose myself in them as some can. SO I do not go, wife has friends that love concerts and she goes with them. I would rather read a book, or make something. Must be the introvert in me.
You sound a lot like me. The most amazing live performances that I have experienced were in front of a few dozen people at science fiction conventions. Once you move up to commercial concerts you encounter over loud sound systems and annoyingly ignorant audience members. The last live concert that I went to was "Celtic Woman" for our 25th wedding anniversary. Spent over $300 for bad seats in a cramped theatre and the entire concert was spoiled by some idiots behind us that talked through the entire thing.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I am not a big music guy but I love live music performances. It is just fun to watch the performers and the crowds and listen to the various songs. It is just a great way to spend some time. Go for it a few times and see what kinds of events you like and what kinds of music you like. You will find that live music is much different than CDs or recorded studio music. No retakes or full orchestras are possible so the sounds are just different. Mostly better IMO. Plus you get all the visual dancing and stage presence of the performers at a live event. Good live music is so much more than a sound track.

Every summer I go to listen to free live bands that play 7 days a week in the afternoons at a pub near me. I also go to Thursday evening free music shows at a hotel near me. These events are with local bands of varying talent. Some are just great and some are so mediocre you wonder who scheduled them. But it is just fun to go do this for an hour or two on a nice summer afternoon or evening.

I also go to a pay concerts or shows occasionally. Those are much bigger elaborate shows with big stages and giant sound amplifiers and huge crowds and lots of loud sound. And they cost a lot now days, $100 or more for most seats. So it is a commitment. I think they are worth it for the right groups. I went to the Eagles first California tour show when the band got back together in the early 2000s. It was fabulous. Joe Walsh is amazing in person. His facial expressions are funny and he opens his mouth so big it is just fun to watch. Same thing for some of the country western performers. I saw Waylan Jennings and Johnny Cash and several others back in the day at various shows and events.

So go for it if you like the band. You will find a whole new way of listening to music.

Good Luck.

Post by 123 »

If it's your favorite artist and they are currently in their "big time" you really should try the concert experience at least once, either by yourself or with friends. I had always thought that studio recorded music was superior to any live recording. After a few concerts I finally appreciated the values of live performance recordings and love listening to the nuances within them versus, what I now view as sterile studio recordings.

The majority of big artists go through a cycle, if they last, of 10 or 20+ years in which they play large venues when they're in their "big time" and move to smaller, sometime tiny, venues as they age. There's a band I follow that I enjoyed at big festival events (25K - 100K+ audience size) in the 70's and 80's that I continue to see when they play at casinos and smaller clubs (sometimes under 200 audience size) in my area. They've got much the same audience as when they were younger, the audience has aged with them. They continue to play because they enjoy the experience, they made their big bucks years ago.

Share the concert experience with your favorite artist. It may be the beginning of an extended relationship with them.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I like You Tube videos for music. I also like live music.

I will admit that with some of the older groups - MANY of the groups touring are in their 60s or older - I always listen to their RECENT videos to make sure that they have not lost their voice. For example, the last five years that Wayne Newton was singing is Las Vegas, his bvoice was a shadow of his past voice.

Do realize that in nearly ANY locale, there is a good amount of either free or relatively inexpensive concerts. However, that is not the case for particular bands.
four7s

Post by four7s »

Just go and enjoy yourself and if it doesn't seem worthwhile at least you experienced it. My first concert was in 1965 when I saw The Beatles at Comiskey Park and it was the best $5.50 ticket I ever purchased.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I think you should go. If you do, you’ll quite likely have a great time and be glad you went. If you don’t, you may regret missing the opportunity.

Tom Petty’s been mentioned a few times above. I saw him perform several times over the years and loved his shows, the last of which I caught just shortly before he passed away. I am just so glad to have been able to see him one last time.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

four7s wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 pm Just go and enjoy yourself and if it doesn't seem worthwhile at least you experienced it. My first concert was in 1965 when I saw The Beatles at Comiskey Park and it was the best $5.50 ticket I ever purchased.
I saw them the next year in Memphis. Same price, which was high at the time. Not my first concert, but the most memorable and the one I am most grateful that I didn't miss.
Katie

Post by Katie »

Glad you are going. Even if it's not perfect, it's a new experience and there is some value in that. Plus, while the technical recordings may be more technically correct, there is an excitement about seeing a live performance and seeing the interaction of the singer with the band/audience etc. Even the little discussion between songs gives you a better feel for the artist.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I love concerts. We go all the time, to all type of shows: rock, jazz, classical, folk-acoustic, etc.

Went to a jazz show two weeks ago ($40 per tic). The week before, saw Lady Gaga (Stubhub tics $250 per). A few years ago went to Nashville for Paul McCartney, later to Las Vegas for two Dead & Co shows.

If you've never been - go. :P In the big shows it's the sound system, lights, stage show etc. For smaller shows, its great to connect with the artist. Their performance may very from the recording - that's the essence of "live", that's why there are concert tapes of 2000+ Dead shows, and now the same of Phish, Dave Matthews, and numerous other bands who play their music but improvise and change depending on the moment and their mood.

When you go to a concert, you are experiencing the artist crafting their work in the here and now. When they're "on" and you're "on", it is 100 times / 1000 times better than listening to a recording.
SEAworld9

Post by SEAworld9 »

go. there is nothing like live music and enjoying it simultaneously with thousands of other people.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

KlingKlang wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:30 am
forgeblast wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 am I do not feel comfortable in big crowds like that. I find I cannot lose myself in them as some can. SO I do not go, wife has friends that love concerts and she goes with them. I would rather read a book, or make something. Must be the introvert in me.
You sound a lot like me. The most amazing live performances that I have experienced were in front of a few dozen people at science fiction conventions. Once you move up to commercial concerts you encounter over loud sound systems and annoyingly ignorant audience members. The last live concert that I went to was "Celtic Woman" for our 25th wedding anniversary. Spent over $300 for bad seats in a cramped theatre and the entire concert was spoiled by some idiots behind us that talked through the entire thing.
Its too funny but honestly Celtic Woman was probably the last concert I went to. My wife wanted to see them, but it was a much smaller venue :)
The larger stadiums have my ears ringing and it lasts for a while.
Topic Author
roamin survivor

researcher wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:52 am
roamin survivor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:08 am]feeling on the fence with the work involved...
Another issue is time, as I would be taking the day/half-day off work for the driving distance and to avoid the daily SF Bay Area traffic...
So, with all the work involved, does this seem worthwhile...
but kinda got soured over how much effort it would be...
I'm curious...what is it about attending a concert that you feel involves so much "work/effort"?

Does it require any more effort than, say...
- Going to the grocery store
- Going on vacation
- Attending any other event, visiting a museum, ect
It's mainly the distance and time involved. I'm in the South Bay and venue's up in Oakland, so I'm looking at 1+ hr drive one way in clear traffic, let alone on a weeknight.

As for work and effort, I would say yes it can, but I'll admit it's more of my own doing. I focus too much on efficiency and costs, both monetarily and time, and feel like I need to do something productive at all times. I will admit it makes it hard to relax and slow down. If I'm going to be doing anything, got to combine it with other errands/things, else do without until. Definitely not healthy to need an excuse to vacation.
This was a concern for me, but again, need to experience it to see if it's a right fit for me. I also wonder if it's the source with my effort-fun ratio. Why travel out of my way for a paid concert when one can listen while cooking/cleaning/working out?
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

This was a concern for me, but again, need to experience it to see if it's a right fit for me. I also wonder if it's the source with my effort-fun ratio. Why travel out of my way for a paid concert when one can listen while cooking/cleaning/working out?

He-he, Time management/multi-tasking I love it! Having a daughter now means juggling any free time and multi-tasking as best we can.
We live in a very rural area. 1/2 hour to anything, but its driving not in traffic. I just could not do the traffic, when we lived in NC there were times we were stuck in Raleigh's belt line....brutal.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

I usher for the premiere concert venue in our area, which gets me in free for shows. I am not familiar with your particular situation, but based on what I see at my place, it may be a different experience in different parts of the concert hall. Our "upper box" seats do not cost much more than the mezzanine seats, and I don't care much to sit there because you are kinda twisted sideways to the stage. But some people really like them because they are not surrounded by a crowd, and can look directly down to the stage. So that might be a good experience.

Also, how much more would a hotel in Oakland cost? Do you really need to get home that night, or would spending the night nearby avoid the driving hassle?
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

I live about 80 miles from Oakland, but inland, so the drive is ~90 minutes each way at that time of night.

The Fox is a great place to see a show. Plenty of (paid) parking a short walk from the theatre. The venue seats 2800 - small enough that their aren't really any bad seats, and you'll be back at your car within 15 minutes of the last encore.

In that part of town, the good hotels are pricey and the cheap ones are dicey. Decent hotels are reasonable down on Hegenberger between the Coliseum and the airport.