NYC restaurant suggestion

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

NYC restaurant suggestion

Post by BashDash »

Hi all BH,

If you had one meal to eat in NYC where would it be?

I know NYC has an abundance of restaurants but I always look to my fellow BH for financial and consumer advice. Staying one night in nyc on a saturday night and would love a great night out with my wife for a delayed anniversary celebration. We are staying one night at Crowne Plaza HY36 Midtown Manhattan. Willing to travel to different part of city via uber or subway but would preferably rather walk. I know we can use yelp or tripadvisor but love checking in with the BH. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Details
-cuisines we like: italian, american, asian, mexican
-OK with eating at the bar if it is not packed and loud
-moderate to expensive is ok figure spend around 75-100 with a drink or two since it is a special night out as long as it is a good meal. ( plus we are staying for free using an IHG free night certificate so we don't mind splurging on a meal)
-Happy hour would be great but we realize it is Saturday.
-we like sampling craft beer flights or wine flights but not a necessity.
-the less touristy the better.

Thanks!!!
PaulWallnuts

Re: NYC restaurant suggestion

Post by PaulWallnuts »

I mostly just peruse the forums and take note of what I'm doing wrong financially but as a long-time New Yorker, I feel I'm actually qualified to chirp in on this topic and give back to the community. I always suggest Hillstone (particularly the one in midtown) when people ask for requests. The food is fantastic (California Burger is amazing. Thai Steak noodle salad is tops). It's got a romantic, dimly lit vibe. Sometimes there's a live jazz band by the bar. The price is just right for how good the food is. And the best part about it is what most locals don't know... it's BYOB first bottle of wine/ $25 corkage for a second. This is one of the best little-known deals in the city.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Are you looking to spend $75-$100 for each of you or $75-$100 total? It will be hard to get a good meal for $100 bucks if you expect to get 2-4 drinks.

That said I really like Patsy's https://www.patsys.com/.
FraggleRock

Daniel

Post by FraggleRock »

https://www.yelp.com/biz/daniel-new-york-4

You wrote 1 meal.

I am ignoring your price constraint.

Last edited by FraggleRock on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Le Bernadin...but that's way over your price target.

In your case I'd recommend Danji. Smallish Korean restaurant, possible to get out of there within your price range, former (maybe current?) holder of one michelin star.
Last edited by mak1277 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8ballfinance

Post by 8ballfinance »

BD—sounds like a great trip! In the cuisines you listed are you looking for something traditional yet well done or would you like a few unique recommendations that may provide a new experience?

If you like sampling craft beers stop by the Ginger Man before or after dinner. One of the best curated selections I’ve found in the city: http://www.gingerman-ny.com
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

OP here thanks for all suggestions so far keep them coming :).
pencap75

Post by pencap75 »

Marea- fine Italian seafood.
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

Quality Italian is good.

Del Posto as well.

Saw a suggestion for Marea - that was among my least favorite restaurants. I think we dropped $500 for two and I left the table hungry.
Charlesmetz83

Post by Charlesmetz83 »

We enjoyed Michael's on 55th for Italian Blue Hill for farm to fork and Momofuku Ko for Asian.
Other suggestions would be way above posted budget (La Bernardin, Per Se, Daniel & Eleven Madison Park)
edge

Post by edge »

aquavit
nobu
per se

So many others.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

Near you and good for the price is Le Rivage on 46th Street between 8th and 9th Avenue, $39 prix fixe until 7:30 p.m. and then $29, http://www.lerivagenyc.com/menus/index.html. It's the opposite of what you would expect since it's in the theatre district so it's busier earlier in the evening. There are lots of others that are comparable on that block.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

I second Marea. Look up their lunch/brunch menu and you might be able to swing it for less than $100 per person.
Be advised that $75-100 is not "moderate to expensive" for NYC.

Did latesaver leave the table hungry because he left food on the plate, or because food was so good that he wanted more ?
If one's target is leaving the restaurant feeling full nothing can beat Five Guys (kids menu, otherwise feeling will be "too full")
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks all so far!
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

Thesaints wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:31 am I second Marea. Look up their lunch/brunch menu and you might be able to swing it for less than $100 per person.
Be advised that $75-100 is not "moderate to expensive" for NYC.

Did latesaver leave the table hungry because he left food on the plate, or because food was so good that he wanted more ?
If one's target is leaving the restaurant feeling full nothing can beat Five Guys (kids menu, otherwise feeling will be "too full")
if i could think of one word to describe Marea it would be pretentious.

we lived in nyc for 7 years, went to (almost) all the top notch places. maybe it was an off night, dunno.

i would add Mas Farmhouse to my list. loved that place.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Some suggestions off the top of my head:

Hearth (Italian), East Village
Sakagura (Japanese), Midtown
Gaonnuri (Korean BBQ), Midtown (great view!)
Soccorat (Spanish, paella) several locations including East Midtown and Chelsea
Red Cat (New American), Chelsea
Little Owl (New American), West Village
The Eddy (New American), East Village

These are all places where you will get an excellent meal, within your price range (assuming that is 75-100 per person), in a nice ambience suitable for a celebratory occasion. None is what I'd consider a "special occasion" or "destination" restaurant per se, but for that here in NYC the prices tend to get stratospheric. Have a great time!
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

latesaver wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:08 pm if i could think of one word to describe Marea it would be pretentious.

we lived in nyc for 7 years, went to (almost) all the top notch places. maybe it was an off night, dunno.
Food was good, then ?

My personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that Marea has that uncommon virtue of being an upscale establishment without appearing pretentious. In my experiences there I alwas felt very welcome. That in addition to the delicious food, of course.
NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 am Le Bernadin...but that's way over your price target.

In your case I'd recommend Danji. Smallish Korean restaurant, possible to get out of their in your price range, former (maybe current?) holder of one michelin star.
+1 for both.

The Bar at The Modern may work for you. That price range is super restrictive. Special night out in NYC for two is $400+ at an moderately expensive restaurant. You’ll spend $75-$100 for drinks, apps and entrees at Fridays, probably more.
tripu11

Post by tripu11 »

I live in NYC and recently took my wife to dinner for our anniversary at Ai Fiore. We had the 4 course Pre Fixe for $104. The food was better than we expected. The service was excellent but not intrusive.

Also, the restaurant is not far from your hotel.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thank you all for helping me plan a nice night out!
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Candle 79, at 79th and Lexington Ave.
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

I live in New York and love going to "nice" dinners. It's the only thing I splurge on. :D

Here's a list for you: http://gothamist.com/2017/10/30/nyc_mic ... e_2018.php

Enjoy!
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Wo Hop at 17 Mott Street is very good. It's been there for almost 70 years and is very popular. I was there several times. The food is very fresh.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/wo-hop-new-york
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

rgs92 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 pm Wo Hop at 17 Mott Street is very good.
+1 :sharebeer
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Pete12 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:32 pm
Wo Hop is great -- but just expect atmosphere near zero.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

Rob5TCP wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 pm
Hop Kee on the corner next to Wo Hop is even better in my opinion if you want more authentic Chinese food. I’ll even tell you what to order: Cantonese crab, salt and pepper pork chops, soy sauce chicken, duck fried rice, and a veggie dish of your choice to rounds things out. Complimentary soup and fortune cookies included. All of the above will be about $75 and could easily feed 4 (or 2 very hungry people). But this is more about the food, not atmosphere or decor. Service is above average for Chinatown.

For more upscale at reasonable prices, I would recommend visiting during Restaurant Week if possible, Jan 22-Feb 9. Three course prix fixe meals at some very nice restaurants for $42 per person. https://www.nycgo.com/restaurant-week
beyou

Post by beyou »

If you want a small personal and quirky Italian place, PizzArte in the 50s off 6th Ave. Good food, service and art (for sale).
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

investorpeter wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:27 pm
Rob5TCP wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 pm
Hop Kee on the corner next to Wo Hop is even better in my opinion if you want more authentic Chinese food. I’ll even tell you what to order: Cantonese crab, salt and pepper pork chops, soy sauce chicken, duck fried rice, and a veggie dish of your choice to rounds things out. Complimentary soup and fortune cookies included. All of the above will be about $75 and could easily feed 4 (or 2 very hungry people). But this is more about the food, not atmosphere or decor. Service is above average for Chinatown.
I am partial to NY Noodletown. The chow fun noodles with dry sauce are my personal favorite. Pan fried are really good. I have been known to spend birthday dinner across multiple restaurants in Chinatown.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Marta in the Flatiron district of NY. Great Italian food...especially known for their pizzas made in wood-burning ovens. Be sure to make a reservation.

https://www.martamanhattan.com/
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Since you are staying just one night but in an interesting area, consider sticking close to the neighborhood.

Considering your hotel, your price range, and appreciation of Asian food, perhaps walk a few blocks to Koreatown and eat in one of the restaurants there. That would probably be your best bet for value and eating something different than your usual.

There are lots of bars in Hell's Kitchen that offer a good selection of craft beers as well as some good wine bars and also a lot of good brunch places, so take advantage of that.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

What about Little Italy?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks everybody for chiming in! I guess i am leaning towards a middle of the road place that has a nice enough ambience that isn't overly loud that has some great food and we can leave without being hungry!
gips

Post by gips »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:31 am What about Little Italy?
unremitting tourist trap
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

BashDash wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 am Thanks everybody for chiming in! I guess i am leaning towards a middle of the road place that has a nice enough ambience that isn't overly loud that has some great food and we can leave without being hungry!
You would probably enjoy any of the red-starred, two-dollar sign Korean restaurants here:

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=B ... _loc=10001

It's difficult to leave a Korean restaurant hungry.
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

If you only have one meal I definitely don't recommend the tourist trap Little Italy. However if you do eat there, this is the ONLY restaurant I would recommend....

https://www.yelp.com/biz/pellegrinos-it ... ttle+italy

For accessible Italian, my recommendation is as follows...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/crispo-new-york
market timer

Post by market timer »

The Koreatown suggestion is good. They also have private karaoke rooms, if you want to try that.

One of my most frequented restaurants in NYC was Petite Abeille. They often have live music and half-off beer specials. I'd recommend the mussels and Belgian beer, followed by a pub crawl in the East Village / Lower East Side, followed by sharing a late-night order of fries from Pommes Frites. I always enjoyed walking around the city with a buzz at night.
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

cannibalizing from my previous suggestions in another thread for your purposes, but divided by categories and limited to near-ish to you in Manhattan (don't go to the Upper East Side, for goodness sake, you'll be stuck there with nothing to do after dinner):

- there are a lot of new American/Italian mid/high end options in Flatiron, which isn't far from your hotel. I'm partial to Upland and Covina (the former being a much tougher reservation).
- pizza. Emily (the new one in the Village), Motorino, Marta, or Keste. Many of those places have good beer/wine lists as well.
- Indian in Murray Hill. again, too many to choose from, but my personal favorite is Sahib.
- ramen. Ippudo, Ivan, Totto. Those are all fun places, though they can be loud, but you won't break the bank.
metacritic

Post by metacritic »

A lot of these suggestions are anywhere from $500-$1000/couple.

Closer to your price range but still somewhat higher:

Oiji
Estela
Atla
Uncle Boons
Grammercy Tavern

If you want to stay to your budget what about
Cafe China

For a real splurge but not upper echelons
The NoMad
Cosme
Le Coucou
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks everyone! Will definitely update everyone once we get back. I must admit to being a little overwhelmed with choices now.

Checking out menus online is a big help. I think I'm really leaning towards a tasty, hearty meal in a place that is not too loud or cramped and we can hear each. We're really not foodies so it doesn't have to be a place where our check is big but our stomachs are empty. We'd even be up for eating at a bar with good food/drink. In fact, that is a good way to extend the night as opposed to being rushed out of a restaurant for new patrons.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

OP here, I have failed my fellow BH's and we did not go to a recommended restaurant. Ended up going to a All you can eat and drink Sushi place that we was .5 mile from our hotel. We are just starting to enjoy sushi and were in the mood. Not that cost mattered but it was 90$ for two including tip. Relaxing and delicious.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

BashDash wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 pm OP here, I have failed my fellow BH's and we did not go to a recommended restaurant. Ended up going to a All you can eat and drink Sushi place that we was .5 mile from our hotel. We are just starting to enjoy sushi and were in the mood. Not that cost mattered but it was 90$ for two including tip. Relaxing and delicious.
All that matters is that you enjoyed it!
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

It may not meet all of your criteria, but this...
https://www.themeatballshop.com/...
afterwards, you can head over to......
http://www.manitobas.com/ for some cocktails......
Daisy Dog

Post by Daisy Dog »

OP,

Well, I for one, am grateful for your post. Anyway, I will use it as a reference for my next trip to NYC. Now, maybe you'll post one asking for reasonable and clean(!) hotels? :_)

Thanks again.

Daisy Dog
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Daisy dog:
We stayed at Crowne Plaza HY36 Midtown Manhattan and would highly recommend. We did stay for free with our ihg free night certificate. We stayed on literally the last night it was expiring :). Safe, clean and great service. Minor unnoticeable construction going on and they gave us vouchers for breakfast around the corner, free drinks at hotel bar and also a bottle of champagne for our anniversary.
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

OP here again. Going back for another night soon. Can anyone recommend a nyc sushi restaurant? All you can eat would be great. We are new to trying sushi so we find it to be a nice way to sample different types. Thanks.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Blue Water Grill near Union Square (15th st.).
http://www.bluewatergrillnyc.com
is not strictly sushi but it has wonderful sushi and other food.

Near Times Square is Blue Fin, also with excellent sushi and other seafood.
http://www.bluefinnyc.com
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

Prune.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

For all you can eat sushi + alot more: http://ichiumi.com/
Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks! Will check these new suggetsions out!
mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 »

BashDash wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:08 pm OP here again. Going back for another night soon. Can anyone recommend a nyc sushi restaurant? All you can eat would be great. We are new to trying sushi so we find it to be a nice way to sample different types. Thanks.
Sasabune - get the omakase and thank me in the morning.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.