Ancestry / 23andMe

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GridironGems

Ancestry / 23andMe

Post by GridironGems » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 pm

I am considering giving this to my parents for Christmas (one of each for both of them). Not everyone wants to know the health part of 23andMe and I honestly do not know if my parents would want to know or not. If I just got the ancestry part of 23andMe, are Ancestry and 23andMe ancestry results similar enough where it is not necessary to get both?

Ancestry price is currently $69 until 12/14 and 23andMe is $149 for Health + Ancestry and $79 for ancestry until 12/26

I missed the boat on getting these 50% off on cyber monday

Will this be the best price I get on these before Christmas?

Alexa9

Re: Ancestry / 23andMe

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm

I've heard the results are pretty vague if you already know your ancestry although some people I know had some surprises. I'd much rather have a subscription to ancestry.com personally. If they are interested in genealogy, it might be a great gift.

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:23 pm

I think that is a terrific gift. My husband bought that for me this year for my birthday. I did not do the health portion on myself, but my husband did. He did not think it was worth the extra money.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm

I've used Ancestry DNA and 23andMe and the results were very close - close enough that there's no need to get both if you're just interested in your geographical pedigree.

With either service you can download your results and upload them here: https://promethease.com/ to get enough health information to keep you busy for days.

Outafter20

Post by Outafter20 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:27 pm

My daughter has been asking me to do the 23andMe. She is 14 and we adopted her from China 12 years ago.

Is it worth it?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 pm

I have done both. Am glad I did. 23and me was very interesting but I think ancestry is better for geneology.

I had some surprises. Way back when, it looks like my Dad's family acquired Native American blood.

My mom's family came fron Prussia, but there is also some Scandinavian too - from around the Baltic sea I think.

Fun to see what the DNA says is lkely.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 pm

did 23andme before the health restrictions came in - I was "grandfathered" - interesting, but not generally worthwhile about health. BUT - you never know - they keep finding and adding things.

LOTS and lots of 3rd to 5th cousins around the world - but nobody I either actually know OR can make a conneciton with.

Ancestry generally matches what I know of ancestors - came from different parts of Western Europe to the US at various times in the mid to late 1800's

My brother did ancestry dna (I think family tree as well). How has identified actual known relatives on both sides of the family and 3 or the four grandparents tree. I just sent my vial of spit to ancestry and will get results in 6-8 weeks (maybe more).

Apparently, even full siblings have enough dna differences that the hits/matches of relatives will be a little different.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 pm

My brother did 23andme. It came out to what we knew plus a trace of Portuguese. We figure it's not so much Portuguese as the Vikings messing with the gene pool in Portugal.

I would not like to know the health part, which he didn't do.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Outafter20 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:27 pm
My daughter has been asking me to do the 23andMe. She is 14 and we adopted her from China 12 years ago.

Is it worth it?
It looks to me from the comments in here that the ancestry one tries to identify some relatives? I would think that would be interesting to her. I assume they have some privacy controls so you could decide what to do with that information.

In doing family tree stuff not related to dna I found some third cousins, and they had photos of great grandparents, etc.
Last edited by mouses on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GridironGems

Post by GridironGems » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 pm

My parents have been wanting to get a new computer and I asked my mom what was she wanting to do on the computer, and she mentioned genealogy, which is what gave me this idea. They do not know what computer to get, but has to have a CD drive as my mom has pictures on CD's from Wal-Mart that she wants to put on the computer.

Since I do not know if they want to know the health aspect, I'm leaning towards just going with Ancestry. Could throw some cash in as well to help buy the computer they decide to get. I saw the AAA thread, which reminded me mom saying she thought about getting AAA recently as well...so that's another idea for Christmas

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:10 am

I was paid $125 to join 23&Me for some medical study. I like the genealogy part and have been contacted by several long lost relatives. It seems to be pretty spot on, but there were a few surprises. I'm not so impressed by the health reports. They said I have a very low chance of getting RA and I have quite a severe case of it (which is how I got into the medical study). They also got my hair, eye color, and skin tone wrong. I did the test a few years ago, so I would hope that they have better testing by now. My aunt and her cousin are into genealogy and use ancestry.com instead of 23&Me, but I think it has more to do with price than accuracy.

Just an FYI, 23&Me usually takes about 6 weeks for results. Expect a lot longer after Christmas, especially since Amazon had it as one of their Cyber Monday deals. You also need a whole lotta spit to fill up the vial. It grossed me out. I'm not sure if the other tests use a swab, but you might want to consider them if they do.

rosylenm

Post by rosylenm » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 am

As long as you are not Southeast Asian, it’s probably fine. My results were pretty much useless.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:20 am

I've done ancestry along with several other family members. We are hoping to find a long lost relative on my father's side of the family. Instead we were surprised by the discovery of a new close relationship on my mother's side. Somebody in our family had some past indiscretions that have now been revealed. Hee hee.

The information ancestry gives you about your heritage from the DNA test is quite interesting, but not particularly useful. What I dislike most about ancestry is that after your brief free trial expires you can't access very much information without a subscription, which I think is overpriced unless you are actively researching your genealogy. I can't even look at family trees created by my other family members without being nagged to pay a $20/month subscription.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 am

OP: If you are just interested in your ancestry, and not concerned about making connections with relatives, you might want to try the National Geographic Geno project.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/about/

celia

Post by celia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 am

GridironGems wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 pm
My parents have been wanting to get a new computer and I asked my mom what was she wanting to do on the computer, and she mentioned genealogy, which is what gave me this idea. They do not know what computer to get, but has to have a CD drive as my mom has pictures on CD's from Wal-Mart that she wants to put on the computer.
Why don't you get them genealogy software, such as RootsMagic or Family Tree Maker?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... y_software (to compare the different software)

capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 am

I used to work in clinical lab chemistry. I don't trust any of the direct-to-consumer marketed lab testing. It sounds like they are doing a DNA microarray, with lots of assertions about FDA stuff. FDA cleared is not the same as FDA approved. My mom tried 23andme and it told her we were of Bangladeshi and Guatemalan descent. We are about as Scandinavian as you can get. My guess was DNA contamination from wherever the spit tubes were produced or handled. Caveat Emptor. ::cough::Theranos::cough::

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:18 am

Any medical stuff to come from 23andme

GridironGems

Post by GridironGems » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:34 am

Cruise wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 am
OP: If you are just interested in your ancestry, and not concerned about making connections with relatives, you might want to try the National Geographic Geno project.

I have never heard of this, how does it compare to the others? Would I want to get this for my mom and dad both?

GridironGems

Post by GridironGems » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:36 am

celia wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 am
GridironGems wrote:
Why don't you get them genealogy software, such as RootsMagic or Family Tree Maker?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... y_software (to compare the different software)
I don't know anything about those softwares...I don't think I'd feel comfortable just picking and choosing one without talking to my mom about it

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 am

GridironGems wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:34 am
Cruise wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 am

I have never heard of this, how does it compare to the others? Would I want to get this for my mom and dad both?
I second the National Geographic Geno project, my wife and I and my mother all did the test almost 10 years ago, before there were all these for profit DNA testing companies, we found it very informative. And a good not for profit organization to support.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:54 am

I think this is a fun gift idea for those that don't want more stuff. We have a few friends that have done it and had a good time discussing and exploring the results.

DH and I are doing it, plus we bought it for his parents and my mom. I think anyone with any curiosity on their lineage, that isn't concerned about the privacy aspect (I have some relatives that would NOT do it), would think it is a fun exercise and potentially lead them to a new hobby or some other curious things to explore. We are doing Ancestry, as I've gotten into working on the family tree during my commute time on the train.

We have a close friend that has always said she's Scottish (and has the family tree to back it up) that came back Turkish and Greek, with the migratory patterns to support it. Her husband was surprised by a tiny bit of native New Zealander! Another friend found some half siblings :shock:
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 am

Just getting results back from either of those places and seeing your ethnicity composition is about ten minutes of entertainment that will be forgotten soon. The real power of those tests, especially Ancestry, is attaching it to your family tree on their website. When you do that, you are able to identify distant cousins all over the world and quickly identify a common ancestor. I have also used it to jump over brick walls and then work backwards to solve that brick wall ancestor. It is also a very powerful tool in terms of adoption and figuring out who biological ancestors might be.

It is worth it to see what percent of some ethnic region you are? Possibly. Is it worth it as a genealogical tool? Absolutely!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am

If you want to connect with relatives (otherwise unknown to you) by DNA - then it seems to me that you want the one that has the most participants. As I posted, I have made no such contacts on 23andme while my brother has made many.

One "risk", though, depending on circumstances, is that you find close relatives (parent, child, sibling, etc.) that expose family secrets that can lead to unhappy endings. For example, you find (or are found by) a half sibling who was the result of some improper or illegal activity. Or, you are adopted and find shocking things about birth parent(s). Or, you find racial/ethnic history that shatters all of your beliefs.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:04 am

I used Ancestry. The use of DNA and the family tree options may be informative. Just be prepared for some unanticipated information.

I will probably never know who introduced the Hispanic component in to the family tree. 2nd great grannie? Other branches wind up as dead ends about the same time. Sometimes you just don't know. And if you ever get to second or third cousins, the level of certainty drops dramatically.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:19 am

RadAudit wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:04 am
I used Ancestry. The use of DNA and the family tree options may be informative. Just be prepared for some unanticipated information.

I will probably never know who introduced the Hispanic component in to the family tree. 2nd great grannie? Other branches wind up as dead ends about the same time. Sometimes you just don't know. And if you ever get to second or third cousins, the level of certainty drops dramatically.
I have about a 2% Asian component in my DNA. That ancestry never came up in family history discussions. In discussing it with my brother, we speculated that our maternal line (I knew my maternal grandparents who both immigrated from that Western European country) came from a country that hundreds of years ago had colonies in Southeast Asia - and we speculated that one of those European ancestors had child(ren) with someone from that part of the Colonial world.

I also have slightly above average (for those of European descent) Neanderthal DNA.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 am

clark howard kinda talked about this a while back. said that many people don't want to know if their DNA would disclose potential health problems down the road -- and said if you are going to do this 1) figure out if you are this type of person, and 2) decide what you would do if you got bad news from the test.

with that in mind, i would never give the medical portion of the test as a gift to someone.

i have no interest in this, and agree with the prior post that said it would give you about 10 minutes of amusement when the results came. my adopted sons both did this, and the tests accurately showed that they were primarily balkan. which of course they already knew.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 am

When I started researching my family tree I took a series of free classes that the local genealogy society gave and they had a session on DNA testing. The people giving the classes were professional genealogists.

They were pretty unimpressed with inexpensive DNA tests except for some special situations like for adopted people and when there were several people named "John Smith" in the same city and you could not figure out which "John Smith" was your relative. In that situation you might be able to match your DNA to someone that was known to be related to a specific "John Smith".

In particular they said that the fancy maps showing where you ancestry was from were WAY oversold and that other to identify the continent they were not very reliable because in a place like Europe people were always moving around a lot more than than you might assume.

Siblings, when there is no question of parentage, will often show very different results on these too just because by random chance one may get the Viking gene and the other may get the African gene and that can often cause real problems with people thinking that their real biological parents are not really their parents.

They had also had real situations where people found out they were adopted, the result of sperm donation, affairs, or even rape. Often the real reason for a genetic difference was unknowable so people were left with serious unanswered questions. When you have a DNA test to be prepared to open a Pandora's box when you get your DNA tested.

If a DNA test is given as a gift then the receiver might not be prepared for this or may even already know some family secrets that they would prefer to keep secret.

The privacy concerns are also huge not just for you but also for your relatives and descendants. For example in some situations when there is a crime with DNA evidence that can be cross matched with DNA records that are on file. That might sound like a reasonable way to catch the bad guys but the problem is that it can also result in false matches. For example if you have your DNA tested then years from now your grandkid might come up with a false positive match for a crime and be taken into the the police station for questioning. The laws that regulate this may be very different 50 years from now so you cannot count on any current legal protections.

After hearing what they had to say I have not bothered to get my DNA tested. If I do ever get it tested I will flag it to being private and I would do it under a false name.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 am

celia wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 am
GridironGems wrote:
Not a expert but I have been going through this doing my family tree over the last year.

I use RootsMagic software and they have a very functional free downloadable version that you can start with that has 95% of the full functionality except for for some things like large wall charts. I have not used the other software but I have been very happy with the RootsMagic. I did go on and get the full version but it was not very expensive.

My local library has a special library edition of Ancestery.com that you can use while you are in the library. You can use this not only on their computers but if you take your laptop into the library you can also use it on your laptop through WiFi which makes downloading information a lot easier. Even if their library does not have this I would highly recommend getting them a laptop for genealogy research.

There is a free website, familysearch.org, which is run by the LDS church and open to all that has many of the same resources that Ancestery.com has.

https://www.familysearch.org/

I would be cautious about putting a lot of work into a family tree on Ancestery.com since there is an annual subscription fee and you would need to figure what happens with all your work if you want stop paying that fee. I am not sure how that works.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 am

The privacy concerns are also huge not just for you but also for your relatives and descendants. For example in some situations when there is a crime with DNA evidence that can be cross matched with DNA records that are on file. That might sound like a reasonable way to catch the bad guys but the problem is that it can also result in false matches. For example if you have your DNA tested then years from now your grandkid might come up with a false positive match for a crime and be taken into the the police station for questioning. The laws that regulate this may be very different 50 years from now so you cannot count on any current legal protections.
This kind of thing on episodes of "Law and Order" or "Law and Order SVU"

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:35 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:19 am

I have about a 2% Asian component in my DNA. That ancestry never came up in family history discussions. In discussing it with my brother, we speculated that our maternal line (I knew my maternal grandparents who both immigrated from that Western European country) came from a country that hundreds of years ago had colonies in Southeast Asia - and we speculated that one of those European ancestors had child(ren) with someone from that part of the Colonial world.
I have 2% Asian as well, which was no surprise given some facial features sported by some family members.

I find it really amusing about how different family members postulate how the Asian was introduced into our gene pools. My sisters have this fantasy that an Asian gentleman courted a long-ago grandmother. My hypothesis has Genghis Khan and his Mongol invaders of Eastern Europe spreading their genes through less romantic methods.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 am

Cruise wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:35 am
dm200 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:19 am
I have 2% Asian as well, which was no surprise given some facial features sported by some family members.
I find it really amusing about how different family members postulate how the Asian was introduced into our gene pools. My sisters have this fantasy that an Asian gentleman courted a long-ago grandmother. My hypothesis has Genghis Khan and his Mongol invaders of Eastern Europe spreading their genes through less romantic methods.
Oh, yes. I think that, in some cases, DNA can tell the sex of certain contributors to our DNA. Or, perhaps, for groups that have certain kinds of mixed heritage. I have seen articles and books written about groups in the US that have both European and Native American "DNA" and that (not surprisingly) the European DNA contribution came overwhelmingly from European males and the Native American from females.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:58 am

What are your goals? You mention genealogy, but I would distinguish between genealogy and ethnicity/genetic heritage.

There are three big players in genetic-gen testing (23andme, AncestryDNA & familytreeDNA). All three have sales right now. ftDNA is probably the least expensive. MyHeritage and LivingDNA are up and probably coming.

HOWEVER. If you want to do genetic genealogy, the analysis of your cells is only one part of what you're paying for. You are buying into a database for comparison - are there cousins out there that you match, where is your common ancestry, can you identify your Most Recent Common Ancestor.

AncestryDNA probably has the largest autosomal database, followed by 23andme. Neither accepts raw data results from another testing company. ftDNA , MyHeritage and LivingDNA do (all have free uploads), but changes in the testing procedure at the first two has changed that possibility. Additionally, you may load raw results to a free comparison site, gedmatch.com - it accepts kits from all of the testing companies.

Only one of those companies, ftDNA is doing full Y-DNA STR testing, as well as Big-Y. I know there is also a testing company in Germany that does Y-DNA testing, and probably others, too.

One other observation: more than one person has tested and found out information they had not known. E.g., - their father is not their father; they were adopted; they have half-siblings - and so on. Some people have found their relationships with their family members has permanently changed, not necessarily for the better.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Watty wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 am
I would be cautious about putting a lot of work into a family tree on Ancestery.com since there is an annual subscription fee and you would need to figure what happens with all your work if you want stop paying that fee. I am not sure how that works.
Your login continues to work on Ancestry when your subscription expires, your tree is still there, and you may see the tree itself. Any records that you have linked to are not visible, nor may you see new records. You can re-subscribe at any time.

FamilyTreeMaker, which used to be an Ancestry product, is now taken over by an independent software developer. It still allows tree-syncing.

I use Family Historian.

There are several free online family tree sites. WikiTree.com is one of them

And - there was a great thread just a while ago about privacy concerns with DNA testing. Very good thread to read.
Last edited by InMyDreams on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Being value-oriented and a pathologist, I could not resist the discount my employer offered on 23andme. I don't use my employer's medical insurance, and lead a Pence-like social life so I did not see any downsides. I opted for the ancestry and medical assessments. It was definitely worth $149.

From a genealogical perspective, the most useful result was finding the names of 1st (once removed) to 2nd cousins I don't know. About half of them were genealogy hobbyists. Simply googling their names led to web sites that mapped my ancestors backed to Europe. They'd already done the work I don't have time to do.

The health assessment somewhat put my mind at ease about a few diseases of aging and suggested I should take extra precautions with my vision (wear sunglasses).

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Watty wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 am
They were pretty unimpressed with inexpensive DNA tests except for some special situations like for adopted people and when there were several people named "John Smith" in the same city and you could not figure out which "John Smith" was your relative. In that situation you might be able to match your DNA to someone that was known to be related to a specific "John Smith".

In particular they said that the fancy maps showing where you ancestry was from were WAY oversold and that other to identify the continent they were not very reliable because in a place like Europe people were always moving around a lot more than than you might assume.
I think the opinion is changing, and more consulting genealogists recommend testing - also depending on your goals. I had an ancestor born in the first half of the 19th century - the only way we proved his parents was thru genetic genealogy.

And genetic-gen is a bootstrap affair. Your raw results won't give names to your ancestors. You look at your genetic matches and try to determine your common ancestry. So, if only the adopted test, they'll only know if they match each other :)

Yeah, I'm not into ethnicity testing. I want people in my tree, not a hand wave over a map. But AncestryDNA in particular is selling a lot of kits with their ads which emphasize ethnicity.

alinna

Post by alinna » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 pm

tbradnc wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm
I've used Ancestry DNA and 23andMe and the results were very close - close enough that there's no need to get both if you're just interested in your geographical pedigree.

With either service you can download your results and upload them here: https://promethease.com/ to get enough health information to keep you busy for days.
Promethease's service is free for the month of December, as well.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:05 pm

FamilyTreeMaker, which used to be an Ancestry product, is now taken over by an independent software developer. It still allows tree-syncing.

I use Family Historian.
The new owner of FamilyTreeMaker upped the price so I don't think it's price competitive any more. There are other good ones and I'd also include RootsMagic on that list.

23andMe generally gets the best marks for ethnicity tests. You can expect to see up to a 10% difference in the results you get from the different testing companies, e.g. one says 15% British Isles another might say 25%. If you have British Isles ancestors expect to see some Scandinavian from Viking interaction with your gggggggg.... grandmother.

It it's cousin matching you're looking for Ancestry has the largest database of people who have taken the test so you'll get more matches there. But many of those folks took the test for ethnicity purposes and won't answer your query about where you fit into their (nonexistent) tree. Also if you want to message them and get a message back, you have to keep paying the monthly subscription fee.

Lots of people love DNA testing and people have found good information. To get the best results on cousin matching you have to do the research to build your own tree. DNA is a complement to that, not a replacement.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Just keep in mind the privacy/security aspects of providing your DNA to a 3rd party, non-medical provider not subject to HIPAA regulations.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 pm

TierArtz wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 pm
From a genealogical perspective, the most useful result was finding the names of 1st (once removed) to 2nd cousins I don't know. About half of them were genealogy hobbyists. Simply googling their names led to web sites that mapped my ancestors backed to Europe. They'd already done the work I don't have time to do.
Not from DNA testing but from some way I forget, I found a website by someone with an extremely detailed family tree of which mine was a twig. We matched in everything except one place where he had made an error.

There was a huge amount of information I did not have. Back then whatever browser I was using allowed one to download an entire website, a feature which has seemingly disappeared. Good thing I did that, as his website has since disappeared. I assume he died.

So if you run across information, save it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 pm

23andMe generally gets the best marks for ethnicity tests. You can expect to see up to a 10% difference in the results you get from the different testing companies, e.g. one says 15% British Isles another might say 25%. If you have British Isles ancestors expect to see some Scandinavian from Viking interaction with your gggggggg.... grandmother.
Yes - somewhat surprising Scandanavian DNA for me as well..

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:45 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:19 pm
Watty wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 am

I think the opinion is changing, and more consulting genealogists recommend testing - also depending on your goals. I had an ancestor born in the first half of the 19th century - the only way we proved his parents was thru genetic genealogy.
I didn't mean to imply that there aren't lots of situations like this where the a DNA test can be useful it is just that unless you are looking for something specific like this the general results can be misleading.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm

I would never use 23andMe and would not accept it as a gift.

- Do you know how else they may use the DNA information they are collecting?
- Do they resell the DNA data?
- How do they protect the DNA data from breaches?

Social Security numbers have been so widely used that they ceased serving as authenticating information. Answers to security questions that banks and credit reporting agencies use to authenticate you, in most cases, can be easily guessed. Face recognition is being defeated by software that merges your facial features with those of a criminal. Your DNA is the end game. I don't see any value in giving it to 23andMe in return for some bogus information that you are 25% African, 25% European, 25% Asian, and 25% Antractican.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:24 pm

I know my ancestry from 1800 on. I came from Europe, and in the 1930s one dictator forced the population to find their ancestry from records in city halls and churches to show who they were. It would be fun to get Ancestry and/or 23andMe and compare.

bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:02 pm

I did my spouses genealogy the old fashion way and managed to get back to the pilgrims.

Mine, on the other hand is a bit of a mystery. I have no fear that someone is going to use my DNA against me anymore than they might use my address or phone number. My parents died young and even though I have no know health issues, I think the health assessment might be interesting.

I already did Ancestry and awaiting my 23andme results. 50% Irish 50% western European and hardly any links on the Ancestry page. I did find an unknown 1st cousin. But that was the only first cousin match, or second cousin or........

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm

We knew we are all migrated from Africa not too long ago.

bigdav160

Post by bigdav160 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm
We knew we are all migrated from Africa not too long ago.
Of course the Dali Skull might upset that "fact"

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Heh, ancestry. 3 of four of my grandparents I'm told were 100% German.

On a 10 day trip to Munich this fall only once was it assumed by a native (before I spoke a word- I know zero German outside what I know from old Hogan's Heros reruns) that I was not German. This includes the stewardesses on the Lufthansa flights there and back. Leaving the plane - everyone in front of me "goodbye"; me "auf viedersehen".

So my heritage is legit. No blood test needed. :sharebeer
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Ask them.

One of my sons really, really wanted it done and took it as a birthday present. I have zero interest and would throw it out if somehow I got a kit.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:09 pm

Atilla wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 pm
Heh, ancestry. 3 of four of my grandparents I'm told were 100% German.

On a 10 day trip to Munich this fall only once was it assumed by a native (before I spoke a word- I know zero German outside what I know from old Hogan's Heros reruns) that I was not German. This includes the stewardesses on the Lufthansa flights there and back. Leaving the plane - everyone in front of me "goodbye"; me "auf viedersehen".

So my heritage is legit. No blood test needed. :sharebeer
I took an SAS flight to Copenhagen. Who are all these people who look like me. I just didn't realize how incredibly genetically diverse the U.S. is until then.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:35 am

23andMe Is Terrifying, but Not for the Reasons the FDA Thinks:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... da-thinks/

Paying To Add Your DNA To a Government Database via Ancestry.com and 23andMe:
https://www.copblock.org/145589/paying- ... d-23andme/
'... Usry was ultimately determined to be innocent and the Electronic Frontier Foundation called it a “wild goose chase” that demonstrated “the very real threats to privacy and civil liberties posed by law enforcement access to private genetic databases…”...'