Progressive Insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mndiver

Progressive Insurance

Post by Mndiver »

Getting to the point where after 24 years it feels like American Family is over charging us for car insurance. Over $2,400/6 months for full coverage on 3 drivers and 3 vehicles with no accidents or tickets. One of those drivers is a 16 year old boy, but still seems high. Got a quote from Progressive for $1,500/6 months for same coverage. Hard to argue with $1,800/year savings...unless customer service and company is bad. Anyone have experience with Progressive?
onourway

Re: Progressive Insurance

Post by onourway »

I used them for years and was perfectly happy. Only changed when I came to the same realization. Insurance is one product where loyalty is not much rewarded. It pays to shop around.
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

I’ve been with Flo for six years now. They are still way cheaper than other companies. Maybe give American Family a chance to match their price?
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

onourway wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 pm I used them for years and was perfectly happy. Only changed when I came to the same realization. Insurance is one product where loyalty is not much rewarded. It pays to shop around.
+1 I was with American Family Auto and Homeowners for 5 years or so(retired from the claims division) and changed to Esurance about 1 year ago. I went from over 1700.00 per year for 2 cars and home to 1060 per year for better coverage on the house. It pays to shop around and American Family is a full service provider that people expect to pay more for their service.

I did give American Family a chance to match, but they could not come close to Esurance rates.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

Progressive is incredible and the customer service is almost enjoyable it’s so good
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I've been with them 8 years. Most recently shopped around about a year ago and couldn't find better rates. Never have to hold on the phone and have never had an issue.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

I had a bad experience and so did my dad. It may have been our fault however. I got a quote, signed up and paid. Days later received a note via email that my policy docs were available. Week later another email stating to log in for an new communication. Didn’t remember my login and ignored it. Perhaps a week later received a letter stating my policy had been cancelled. Apparently the second email I ignored politely asking me to log in contained a note that additional underwriting was needed-a copy of my husband’s drivers license. I called customer service and spoke to a very bored agent. I was upset that this very important communication was not marked urgent in my email or “action needed.” I was also annoyed that there was no letter or call to follow up. The bored agent practically yawned as she told me they don’t do that. My dad had a similar experience - he hadn’t mounted a device in his car that progressive gave him to monitor his driving activity. He had some trouble with it and set it aside. An innocuous email alerted him to a new communication that he had to log in to read and he ignored it. His Insurance was cancelled unbeknownst to him for failure to activate his device. He did it know any of this had happened until he received a letter from NYS stating he was was driving without insurance. The penalty was severe. Six months I believe that he was not able to register his vehicles. Something like that. I just remember he was without a car for months! He called progressive and they basically said we sent you a email that you had a message.

If you do go with them, memorize your log in and sign in when they have a new comunication. You know what you might find. They won’t highlight urgent vs routine communications. They do not seem to believe in hand- holding.
doon

Post by doon »

I been with progressive for a while almost 9 or 10 years. I am a diamond customer or something like that.

I had two major accidents (one was total of an old car and other was 10-12 k payment for repairs and liability claims). Did not have any issue with claims or repair work.

I also have home insurance through them but luckily have not needed to use it so far.

Hope it helps.
"Goal - Win the game before the need to retire"
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I was with them close to a decade. No issues. The reason I left is their rates went way up because their rates are partially based on their own proprietary credit criteria, even for long term customers. I had a couple of refi inquiries and one new credit card and that caused my premiums to increase $300 per year. Switched to GEICO which was a lot cheaper but over the past 5 years GEICO prices have increased about to the same level.
ADower

Post by ADower »

If you can get USAA check out their rates.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Mndiver wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 pmAnyone have experience with Progressive?
I've never been a customer of Progressive, but I have received a lot of junk mail from them over the years. :annoyed
bh7785

Post by bh7785 »

I find Flo to be so irritating that I almost can't consider using them on principal :s

Worst advertising EVER

That said, when I was shopping around 4 months ago, I found Liberty Mutual to be the best match for me. I got a better rate than Progressive.
tj

Post by tj »

Mndiver wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 pm Getting to the point where after 24 years it feels like American Family is over charging us for car insurance. Over $2,400/6 months for full coverage on 3 drivers and 3 vehicles with no accidents or tickets. One of those drivers is a 16 year old boy, but still seems high. Got a quote from Progressive for $1,500/6 months for same coverage. Hard to argue with $1,800/year savings...unless customer service and company is bad. Anyone have experience with Progressive?
No reason not to shop this around. You can use an independent broker and they will check 20+ carriers for you. I work with one and cover a lot of states, but not all of them.

On your own, I'd also check Geico and Amica as they have good reputations for low rates, but it all varies bys tate.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

kerplunk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 pm I’ve been with Flo for six years now. They are still way cheaper than other companies. Maybe give American Family a chance to match their price?

I shop around every 6 months and have never known an insurance carrier to match another's rates.

Has anybody had a different experience?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I have been with Progressive off and on for over 20 years. I have been at fault, not at fault, had something stolen...and never been disappointed by their service.

I occasionally get something else because it is cheaper, but usually the next time I look I can return to Progressive.
johnnyc321

Post by johnnyc321 »

Have Progressive now. Just paid $659.00 for a 6 month 250k/500k policy covering both me and my wife and both of our cars. I'd have a hard time finding a cheaper policy at similar coverage elsewhere.

With that said, we tend to switch every year to whatever is cheaper. Tend to go back and forth between Progressive and Geico.
tj

Post by tj »

9liner wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 pm
kerplunk wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 pm I’ve been with Flo for six years now. They are still way cheaper than other companies. Maybe give American Family a chance to match their price?

I shop around every 6 months and have never known an insurance carrier to match another's rates.

Has anybody had a different experience?

I don't think that is possible, there's a lot of regulation and my understanding was the insurrers file rates for certain risk standards with the state.

The only way they'd be able to "beat someone else's price" is by dropping coverage. Not recommended.
Topic Author
Mndiver

Post by Mndiver »

We ended going with Progressive and went from $2,400/6 months to $1,500/6 months. When American Family rep called and asked if they could try to do better I said “sure”. She was able to drop $100 every 6 months. So much for 24 years of loyalty to American Family.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

I had Progressive for quite a while. I had several instances over the years where I had to deal with them and it was borderline pleasant to deal with them. They treated me and my problem like it was the most important thing they had to do. They were on friendly terms with the local car rental office and the local body shop which made it a breeze to get my claim resolved. I only left Progressive when they were suddenly undercut (by 1/2) on rates by Geico. After several years no one can touch Geico's rates for me, but I would certainly be willing to go back to Progressive if their rates were close.
veindoc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:59 am If you do go with them, memorize your log in and sign in when they have a new comunication. You know what you might find. They won’t highlight urgent vs routine communications. They do not seem to believe in hand- holding.
If you want Progressive with hand holding they do offer insurance through agents, rates vary.
mchop

Post by mchop »

Long time Farmers customer (Home/auto/life/umbrella)...and got lazy. Didnt check rates in over 7 yrs. Have NEVER made any type of insurance claim other than windshield.

Recently bought a moto bike and the Farmers quote to add the bike was $404/yr - more than double what a friend had said he paid to Progressive....that lit a fire!!

I got some quotes from Progressive and ended up saving $1200/yr on all my insurance.

Took me about 3 - 4 hrs on morning to get everything switched over. Was pretty painless.

Good luck
SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha »

I'm a USAA customer myself, but I've been hit twice by drivers insured by Progressive. Under the circumstances, I was both times impressed at how professional they were to work with.
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

Have stayed with USAA, very happy, and I don't have to watch stupid ads on T.V..
tj

Post by tj »

I have noticed a huge increase in USAA TV advertising. It must be effective or they wouldn't do it.