Where might be car security system "secret" button?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Where might be car security system "secret" button?

Post by dm200 »

Bought a car from a private party on Craigslist. It has "add on" security system - but looks like installed when car was originally sold. Have the instruction booklet, which says there is an arming/disarming/valet "button" somewhere. The seller just told me he did not use that feature and I do not see it.

Any ideas where it might be? 2002 Toyota Camry SE.
wilshuer

Re: Where might be car security system "secret" button?

Post by wilshuer »

Quick Google search, sounds like this may apply to your car.

https://itstillruns.com/disable-2001-ca ... 57654.html

How to Disable the 2001 Camry Alarm

One of the many options included with the Toyota Camry that owners can choose from when they purchase their vehicle is the in-car alarm system. Like many other alarm systems on the market, the feature does allow for heightened security, but due to the obtrusive nature of the alarm it can also be a hassle in cases where you are working on the vehicle and do not want the alarm to trigger. Thankfully the Camry alarms come with a built-in kill switch that allows you to temporarily disable the alarm when you need to work on the vehicle.
Enter the driver's side of the Toyota Camry and sit in the driver's seat. Reach down underneath the steering column on the left-hand side to locate what is known as the kill switch, or the valet switch. This is the only switch that is visible on the dashboard, and allows drivers to disable the vehicle's alarm system for repairs, as well as to deactivate the alarm in case it goes off accidentally, such as when you open the door to drive the vehicle.

Press and hold the switch firmly while you turn the key in the ignition to the "On" position. Hold the switch until you see a light on the dashboard and hear a beep signifying that you have temporarily disabled the alarm, allowing you to work on the vehicle at your leisure. Avoid turning the engine on. Turn the ignition off after you have disabled the alarm.

Reset the alarm by turning the ignition back to the "On" position and pressing the kill switch three times in rapid succession until you hear a chirp, indicating that the alarm is ready to be reset. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on your wireless key transmitter simultaneously until you hear the alarm system give a long beep, and then turn the switch on and off again. Remove the key to finish resetting the alarm.
sport

Post by sport »

Inside the glove box, maybe?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My spouse had 1995 Camry with an after-market kill switch installed by the dealer. One day about 8 years into ownership she accidentally activated it and killed the car. I towed the car home and after awhile figured it out. The kill switch was under the parking brake pedal on the floor under the mat on the driver's left side.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The aftermarket one on my Mazda from the same period was on the underside of the steering wheel.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Cannot find it on or around steering column. Will keep looking :)

Want to find it BEFORE we set off alarms...
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Purchasing a 2002 Camry.

A true Boglehead. :happy
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
chartcab3785

Post by chartcab3785 »

The valet button on my aftermarket security system is at the top of the drivers side kick panel(forward of the door). The 'brain' of this system is located under the dash on my vehicle, so this was a convenient location for the installer. If yours isn't there, try and find the brain and trace wires from there. You could trace the wires from the speaker to the brain if unable to find otherwise. Though a good installer will try to hide wires as best as possible so a bad guy can't just quickly cut wires.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

David Jay wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:23 am Purchasing a 2002 Camry.
Double or quadruple that. Our other car is a 1998 Camry purchased in 2015 for $2,700 - from longtime friends - and it only had 70,000 miles. Now has only 82,000 miles and we expect many more years and miles.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Phoned the seller, but he only had/drove the car for a few months. Doesn't know. He said he would try to locate/contact the previous owner to see if she knows.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

OK - found it (with the help of a friend)..

Button far forward on to the left of brake pedal...

:oops:
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

dm200 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm
Double or quadruple that. Our other car is a 1998 Camry purchased in 2015 for $2,700 - from longtime friends - and it only had 70,000 miles. Now has only 82,000 miles and we expect many more years and miles.
How did your DW warm up to this purchase, lol? :D
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Pinotage wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm
dm200 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm
How did your DW warm up to this purchase, lol? :D
Very happy. She likes the 2002 better than the 1998 - so as soon as I get all the controls and driving trivia figured out - she wants to drive the 2002 Camry and leave the 1998 to me.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

dm200 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:06 pm Very happy. She likes the 2002 better than the 1998 - so as soon as I get all the controls and driving trivia figured out - she wants to drive the 2002 Camry and leave the 1998 to me.
Excellent! If the two of you are happy and safe with your vehicles, that is what matters.

I gotta admit I find the idea of a killswitch on a 2002 Camry pretty awesome.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I gotta admit I find the idea of a killswitch on a 2002 Camry pretty awesome.
No, it is not a "kill switch", but rather a button/switch necessary to "deactivate" the add on security system installed when the car was purchased new. It is called a "Valet" switch - the idea is that when you are having your car washed by someone, etc. the alarm does not go off all the time.

I have concluded that the tradeoff between using/enabling all the things that set off the alarms (and getting false alarms that have to be reset) and the car being stolen or vandalized - leans strongly towards just depending on locking the car all the time and never leaving the keys in the ignition.
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

dm200 wrote: No, it is not a "kill switch"...It is called a "Valet" switch
This is also awesome, thank you for the clarification!
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

Do you plan on using the alarm? If not, the instruction booklet will tell you where the system picks up power. Path of least resistance might be to electrically disconnect it. As a former tech I can say from experience troubleshooting anything aftermarket may cause issues.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Frisco Kid wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:43 pm Do you plan on using the alarm? If not, the instruction booklet will tell you where the system picks up power. Path of least resistance might be to electrically disconnect it. As a former tech I can say from experience troubleshooting anything aftermarket may cause issues.
Probably not. However, I do want to leave it so we can use/activate it if/when we want to. Now that I found the valet button, it seems to be "deactivated".