Best Parmesan Cheese for Salad

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FB01

Best Parmesan Cheese for Salad

Post by FB01 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi,

I am getting Parmesan cheese from Trader Joe's but somehow I am not getting the taste of the Parmesan cheese which we get in Restaurant when we order the Salad.

Which Parmesan Cheese do you guys prefer?

-JR

livesoft

Re: Best Parmesan Cheese for Salad

Post by livesoft » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:57 pm

It reads like you don't want the best parmesan cheese, but you want cheese that tastes like what the restaurant gives you. I'm sure the restaurant can tell you what they use or even sell you a chunk of it every now and then. It might even come from Sysco.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Just finding a product labeled "parmesan" that actually has cheese in it is harder than it should be. See https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ld-be-wood.

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:12 pm

The only true "Parmesean Cheese" is Parmigiano-Reggiano. It comes from specific provinces in Italy. European law classifies the name, as well as the translation "Parmesan", as a protected designation of origin. Anything else is an imitation. You can read a brief summary on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiano-Reggiano. The whole story can be found in the book "Real Food, Fake Food" by Larry Olmsted: https://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-Fake-Y ... B01B3VMBN8. Happily, there are several stores where the "real thing" is available near me.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 pm

Try grated Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan. It has a much bolder flavor, I prefer it on pasta and salad over Parmesan.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:52 pm

:thumbsup to the Pecorino Romano. Very tasty even in some of my wife's excellent homemade soups
Tom D.

Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:03 pm

If you are looking for good Parmesan, get 24 month aged parmigiano-reggiano. It’s a little more expensive than 18 month but definitely tastes better.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Unless OP was going to a really good Italian restaurant he may not have had true Parmigiano Reggiano. It is one of the great cheeses of the world. It costs an arm and a leg and is spectacular eaten alone. It would be a shame to put it on pasta except for the fact that it elevates pasta to another level.

Get the good stuff at a better big-city grocery or at Whole Foods. Bring money.

FB01

Post by FB01 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Pete12 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 pm
Try grated Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan. It has a much bolder flavor, I prefer it on pasta and salad over Parmesan.
From which store you get the Pecorino Romano?

FraggleRock

Define “best”

Post by FraggleRock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:21 pm

You asked for "Parmesan", you got it.

Or, did really mean: Parmigiano Reggiano ?
Last edited by FraggleRock on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 pm

FB01 - I shop at Publix supermarket and they carry it.
Tom D.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 pm

FB01 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 pm
From which store you get the Pecorino Romano?
I normally buy it at Costco but have also seen it in Whole Foods and Stop & Shop.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 pm

We go to wegmans and love belgioioso

Best parmesan. Nutty flavor as they say on it. Well worth the price.

Have tried stuff elsewhere. Nothing comes close

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:50 pm

FB01 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 pm
Hi,

I am getting Parmesan cheese from Trader Joe's but somehow I am not getting the taste of the Parmesan cheese which we get in Restaurant when we order the Salad.

Which Parmesan Cheese do you guys prefer?

-JR
ARTICLE: So your store-bought parmesan cheese is made with wood pulp. Is that so bad?

I feel ya. The normal Kraft stuff in cylinder can isn't for a Caesar salad. I bought some in the deli a few years back on sale, it was awesome on a salad. Something like pic below. Start there IMO.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:33 am

Parmesan cheese is Parmesan cheese, only one type, not sure what you’re eating in your restaurant, I’d ask them to clarify.

EveryDayI'mBoglein'

Post by EveryDayI'mBoglein' » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:18 am

I would not call myself a cheese connoisseur by any means, but I definitely try out different varieties to see which one I like best. I really like sargento parmesan. I have found that with all cheeses that you ultimately want to eat shredded, it's flavor is much better when you do the shredding yourself. I've been through many of the different kinds from whole foods and other super markets, including more expensive ones made in Italy or wisconsin, but the triangular wedge block that sargento makes (and then shred myself) on a salad is easily my favorite topping for salads.

donfairplay

Post by donfairplay » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 am

Kirkland Signature aged 24 months shredded Parmigiano Reggiano

Usually in the refrigerated fancy cheese section of your local Costco. Best to use it within 2 months of opening the jar. It is damn good stuff. About $11, and it goes on sale once a year, but it's more than fairly priced without the instant coupon sale.

Costco also carries the Kraft stuff in a green can (you won't want it anymore after trying the above).

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 am

I second the Costco. But even better, buy a big chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano at your local market, Whole Foods has them, a little expensive. Buy a small hand grater. Take cheese over to your plate with grater and grate directly over the salad or food. Like being in Italian restaurant without obligation to leave tip. Good luck.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 am

Beware some of the Kraft stuff in the green can is only part cheese and the rest is "filler". Yep they add sawdust and sell it as cheese. So I would not buy it.

The way we buy Parmesan cheese is at Costco in block form. It is about $10 per pound but a good deal. Then we grate some for our meals. It keeps much longer than the pre-grated kind. It tastes wonderful.

https://www.google.com/search?q=costco+ ... EwzUhyJWCM:

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:56 am

We buy the Parmigiano-Reggiano wedges from Costco. It's a really good deal. We get a ton of use out of them for several months and are even able to use the rinds in soups.

Just get the real stuff. The bulk cheese makers (Kraft, Belgioso, etc.) are a different animal.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 am

caffeperfavore wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:56 am
We buy the Parmigiano-Reggiano wedges from Costco. It's a really good deal. We get a ton of use out of them for several months and are even able to use the rinds in soups.

Just get the real stuff. The bulk cheese makers (Kraft, Belgioso, etc.) are a different animal.
+1

The Costco 24 month aged Parmigiano-Reggiano is a hit in our house and we'll never go back to lesser substitutions. At $9.49 per lb its money well spent.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am

There is truly no substitute for real Parmigiano-Reggiano.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:14 pm

jdb wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 am
I second the Costco. But even better, buy a big chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano at your local market, Whole Foods has them, a little expensive. Buy a small hand grater. Take cheese over to your plate with grater and grate directly over the salad or food. Like being in Italian restaurant without obligation to leave tip. Good luck.
I buy it at Costco also. They have two types of non-shredded Parmigiano Reggiano. They are in the $11-$13 per pound range. They last a long time. The flavor is fantastic so you wind up using less. It is great to break off corners and snack on.

If you want something cheaper asiago cheese is nutty and cheaper and Pecorino Romano is also a good choice.

The cheapo parmesans aren't even close to the real stuff. It is like comparing a sirloin to filet mignon.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Peccorino Romano wedges sell in Costco for about $7/lb, considerably less than Reggiano. Buy a cheap grater and your cheese will always be fresh

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 pm

If you want a high quality Parmesan cheese, buy the best block that you can find and shave it. I think some of the Parmesan-style cheeses are just as good as the regulated true Parmesans from Italy.

If you just want to add umami flavor, the green cans of cheese work well. I often add it to dishes that you wouldn't suspect have any in it. You can even put it in salad dressings.

An alternative is nutritional yeast flakes, which adds some nutritional value, too. I often use them in combination.

As someone mentioned, if you want to duplicate what the restaurant serves, ask them what they are serving.
Last edited by Pajamas on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victw

Post by victw » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 pm

We buy the little size sample cheeses at Whole Foods. They usually have a basket. And/or we ask them to cut a small piece - sometimes just an ounce or two. WF or your local favorite cheese shop might do this for you.

We generally appreciate a small amount of a better tasting cheese rather than a large amount of a tasteless cheese.

Yes - taste is subjective.

Vic

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm

We are fortunate to have a local creamery that makes all their own cheeses. They make a really good knock-off of Parmesan but it goes by a different name since it is made here in the Midwest and not in Italy. Their aged cheddar took top honors in the World Cheese Contest in London a few years back.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:45 pm

LOL on all the pictures of packaged grated cheese :)
I especially like the label that says "Freshly grated" - sure it was - weeks ago when they packaged it.

Whatever you do - be sure to buy a block and grate it yourself fresh right onto your food - that will give you the best flavor. We buy one of the brands sold at Whole-Foods. I believe the brand isn't as important as freshly grating it.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:47 pm

daytona084 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:12 pm
The only true "Parmesean Cheese" is Parmigiano-Reggiano. It comes from specific provinces in Italy. European law classifies the name, as well as the translation "Parmesan", as a protected designation of origin. Anything else is an imitation. You can read a brief summary on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmigiano-Reggiano. The whole story can be found in the book "Real Food, Fake Food" by Larry Olmsted: https://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-Fake-Y ... B01B3VMBN8. Happily, there are several stores where the "real thing" is available near me.
It is not fully stated here, but you should buy a block of the cheese and grate it yourself. Much better flavor that way.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 pm

btenny wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 am
Beware some of the Kraft stuff in the green can is only part cheese and the rest is "filler". Yep they add sawdust and sell it as cheese. So I would not buy it.

The way we buy Parmesan cheese is at Costco in block form. It is about $10 per pound but a good deal. Then we grate some for our meals. It keeps much longer than the pre-grated kind. It tastes wonderful.

https://www.google.com/search?q=costco+ ... EwzUhyJWCM:
You don't like freshly grated wood pulp on your salads?