google calendar event by unknown

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heartwood

google calendar event by unknown

Post by heartwood » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:22 pm

I was adding an event to my google calendar today and saw an all day event for New Year's Eve, in Denmark. I don't allow anyone to post to my calendar. My wife can view it. It's private to all others.

The event showed in my calendar but did not have the standard fields like which calendar it was. There was a html link to a map; I did not click it. Under attendees I was the only one shown. I could click on a field there and it launched an email form with a TO:unknownorganizer@calendar.google.com

There was no option for me to change anything other than to remove it from the calendar.

I googled "unknownorganizer@calendar.google.com" and got some references to apple calendars or to spam calendar entries (who knew!) each going back to 2012 posts. I googled "outside postings to google calendar" and got generic information on setting calendar access. I confirmed each of my settings.

Any suggestions on what's going on?

livesoft

Re: google calendar event by unknown

Post by livesoft » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Someone clicked accidently on a link in an ad that appeared somehow on your phone.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Something is rotten in Denmark!

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:21 pm

ccieemeritus wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:35 pm
Something is rotten in Denmark!
Beat me to it. :D

In general, I stay away from anything Google so can't answer the question.

But whenever I find anything odd happening on a computer, I usually use one of the following words in a search engine: hacked, spammed, scam.

In your (the OP) case, I tried "google calendar hacked" to see what came up. It's probably the same stuff you came up with...mainly related to changing the settings to prevent spam. But it doesn't hurt trying to see if it comes up with other stuff.

The theory with using "hacked" is that that is the first thing people think of when they see something amiss, so many forum postings by anxious google calendar users would likely use that word.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Google has changed some things in 2017 to make it "smarter" and supposedly easier to use. It might be adding events from links or emails even if you didn't accept an invitation. It could have even created an event on your calendar from an article or ad that had the necessary information to do so if you clicked on the information accidentally.

You might also have added someone else's calendar to be displayed on your primary calendar, which aggregates sub-calendars like Birthdays, Holidays, etc.

Check all of your Calendar settings, especially Event settings > Automatically add invitations. It's not a bad idea to review the settings every once in a while, anyway.

gtownsend

Post by gtownsend » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Depending on settings, Google can add something to your calendar that it spots in a mail message. I discovered this when Google told me it was time to leave for my flight to Dubai (!). It turned out that, weeks earlier, somebody had mistakenly given my e-mail address when purchasing airline tickets. Of course, by the time the calendar reminder popped up, I had completely forgotten this.