Do girls wear Ninja Turtle character shoes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FB01

Do girls wear Ninja Turtle character shoes

Post by FB01 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:13 am

Hi,

I believe Ninja Turtle is boy's character and girls do not wear Ninja Turtle shoes. However, I see below link where it says Ninja turtle Girl's light up sneaker..

Is this a mistake or this is really for girls? My son is interested in this shoes but not sure as it says girls

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-30021 ... eb-regular

-JR

TheHouse7

Re: Do girls wear Ninja Turtle character shoes

Post by TheHouse7 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:20 am

Lime green is gender neutral and "toddler" doesn't have gender size differences. Look at the q&a section of the listing. I would get them, they look awesome!
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 am

yes, girls can be interested in ninja turtles.. and boys can play with dolls... i'm a big fan in letting kids explore their own interests without me re-enforcing gender stereo types.

my two little girls, while they are princesses, like to rock climb and play in the mud.
Last edited by Soon2BXProgrammer on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:29 am

I would say both boys and girls can wear what they want :)

Having said that, my daughter would not be caught dead wearing anything with Ninja Turtles - "too derpy"

chevca

Post by chevca » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 am

When talking little kids,... who cares, let them wear what they want. :happy

I could see those shoes on a boy or a girl. No one is going to know by looking at them passing by, nor going to care.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:38 am

Personally, I LOVE if my kids want to do something that is different then everything else. If she wants the shoes let her have it. I would be proud vs. following the usual pink, lacy, and princess advertised stuff.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

chevca

Post by chevca » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am

Um, the OP has a son that is interested in these girl shoes. That's the conundrum. :wink:

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 am

Younglings look great in anything and can pull it off.
Little'uns have fun doing everything regardless of pseudo-social-trends.
And, Great for family photo albums.
They should do it while they can.
Adults can only pull it off at Comic-Con, Holloween, or Walmart. :shock:
j :D

carorun

Post by carorun » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:22 pm

I am a female who was VERY into Ninja Turtles in their original ‘90s heyday. Had all the figurines and turtle sheets. I would definitely have worn Ninja Turtle light up shoes.

I was a bit of a tomboy if you couldn’t tell already :D

FB01

Post by FB01 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:05 pm

chevca wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am
Um, the OP has a son that is interested in these girl shoes. That's the conundrum. :wink:

Correct..that is the issue...based on what you guys have said..i believe it should be fine as there should be nothing girly in the shoes for my son to wear....

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:12 pm

FB01 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:05 pm
chevca wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am

Correct..that is the issue...based on what you guys have said..i believe it should be fine as there should be nothing girly in the shoes for my son to wear....
Wow, this is sad.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Those look fine for a boy unless he lets his friends know he is wearing girls shoes.....

sciliz

Post by sciliz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Do: Get your son the shoes :D
Don't: Tell him can't wear girl things or the shoes were mislabeled :(

Do: Tell your son some girls like Ninja Turtles :P
Don't: Let him be mean to girls who like Ninja Turtles, or tolerate other people being mean :oops:

Do: Explain that some people have wrong ideas about what girls and boys can do. If he is concerned about the shoes, explain that is how a shoe for toddlers ends up labeled "for girls" anyway. :oops:
Don't: Worry. Preschoolers generally go through a phase of rigid gender stereotyping which they grow out of. At least, most of us do :P

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:02 pm

My bad, this is what happens when you read too fast (or not thorough enough). Didn't pick up it is your SON that you are considering girl shoes.

Guess, my answer is still in in the spirit of being an individual and not a conformist... ask him what he wants. If he likes them then who cares if they are boy or girl shoes. I am pretty sure other kids of that age can't tell the difference (if you are worried).

Either way, who cares as your kid will grow out of them in 6 months anyways.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

chevca

Post by chevca » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Y'all realize I was talking and winking at this one, right...
staythecourse wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:38 am
Personally, I LOVE if my kids want to do something that is different then everything else. If she wants the shoes let her have it. I would be proud vs. following the usual pink, lacy, and princess advertised stuff.

Good luck.
Where stc was tallkling about the OP's daughter... :happy

david

Post by david » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:34 pm

I wouldn't worry about this. Ninja Turtles can be enjoyed by either gender same with the colors on the shoes. I think it's just classified as girls to give people with a girl reassurance.

For example really similar shoes are labeled boys: https://www.jcpenney.com/p/nickelodeon- ... adType^PLA

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Some stores now have unisex clothing and toy departments for children. Toddlers should wear what they want to as long as it is suitable for the weather. Just beware of possible issues with sizing.

Most stores do seem to have those or very similar sneakers listed in the boys department.

https://www.google.com/search?q=teenage ... p+Sneakers

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:59 pm

My daughter got free shoes as part of her basketball career. My younger son wore her shoes when he grew enough that they would fit him.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:44 pm

OP your son can wear one of those six-pack abs T-shirts while he's wearing the shoes. :D

But seriously...

This kind of reminds me of when in fifth grade, there was an impromptu race on the athletic field. I was wearing high-tops and noticed that the girls hanging around were wearing lightweight "girl's" sneakers. I found the tallest girl and asked if I could borrow her shoes for the race. I figured the lighter weight would give me an edge.

I came in second. :D

I've used lightweight racing flats ever since.

If the industry itself hadn't gone lightweight, I would have used girl's/women's shoes in the future.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Those guys are still around? My son was seriously into them when they first came out - he's 35 now. You should have seen the looks I got from my co-workers when I said "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles".
If I am stupid I will pay.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:14 pm

2comma wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 pm
Those guys are still around? My son was seriously into them when they first came out - he's 35 now. You should have seen the looks I got from my co-workers when I said "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles".
Cowabunga Dude :!:

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:49 pm

I don't appreciate the "pink is for girls, blue is for boys" references, so I try to set things straight where I can.

Let me approach this from a different perspective and blame all of this on product marketing. As noted in an earlier post, similar sneakers are often listed in the Boy's department.

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles® Toddler Boys' Light Up Sneakers - Gray : Target $22.99. Same sneaker, cheaper price (but in gray).

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Toddler Boys' Running Shoe - Walmart.com $15.87. Not "light up", but 38% cheaper.

Go by color and price, ignore the product description.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SR II

Post by SR II » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:50 pm

OK, they are marketed as "boys" on this website: http://www.shoecarnival.com/boys%20nick ... PLA-P91955

mxs

Post by mxs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Another vote for 'who cares'. The person that does care is the one with the problem.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Of course girls like ninja turtles. They’re heroes in a half shell.

ivk5

Post by ivk5 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 am

sciliz wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Don't: Let him be mean to girls who like Ninja Turtles, or tolerate other people being mean :oops:

Do: Explain that some people have wrong ideas about what girls and boys can do. If he is concerned about the shoes, explain that is how a shoe for toddlers ends up labeled "for girls" anyway. :oops:
Don't: Worry. Preschoolers generally go through a phase of rigid gender stereotyping which they grow out of. At least, most of us do :P
+1

Here's hoping next generation is less concerned than OP with whether something is too "girly" :annoyed

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:39 am

My Dad always told me I could do or be anything I wanted to and he took after anyone who said I couldn't. Thanks, Dad.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 am

If there are no obvious differences, there's no reason for OP to tell son that a particular web site labeled them as girls shoes, especially if other sites label them as boys shoes. I imagine most people would consider them boys shoes.
Last edited by rkhusky on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

juliewongferra

Post by juliewongferra » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:31 am

ivk5 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 am
sciliz wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:01 pm

+1

Here's hoping next generation is less concerned than OP with whether something is too "girly" :annoyed

+1,000,000

Exactamundo!!!

cheers,
jwf

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:05 am

The original post makes me sad.

Interest and gender are not intrinsically linked, only loosely correlated.

Ninja turtles are popular regardless of gender
IT-DevOps System Administrator

juliewongferra

Post by juliewongferra » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 am

Angelus359 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:05 am

+1,000,000!

And it's only loosly correlated because of society's prevailing attitudes about what boys "should" be interested in and what girls "should" be interested in! Take away these preformed ideas and you would see greater distribution of interests for boys and girls!

cheers,
jwf

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 am

+3

"My son is interested" Is the only thing that matters.
juliewongferra wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 am
Angelus359 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:05 am

+1,000,000!

And it's only loosly correlated because of society's prevailing attitudes about what boys "should" be interested in and what girls "should" be interested in! Take away these preformed ideas and you would see greater distribution of interests for boys and girls!

cheers,
jwf

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:50 am

juliewongferra wrote:
Parents have the right to raise their children how they wish in regards to these trivial matters. Sanctimonious attitudes are usually not welcome.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 am

FB01 wrote:
Are you serious right now?! Absolutely anybody can wear absolutely whatever they like.

I'm exercising superhuman restraint in not filling this post with bad language and personal attacks, because per the rules in 2A, I should not do that on this forum. But if we were on Reddit...

celia

Post by celia » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 am

I would get the non-light-up one for either a boy or girl. I saw a story about shoes that have batteries in them that were left in a car and the car caught on fire when no-one was in it.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/05/10 ... -but-true/

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 am
FB01 wrote:
Are you serious right now?! Absolutely anybody can wear absolutely whatever they like.

I'm exercising superhuman restraint in not filling this post with bad language and personal attacks, because per the rules in 2A, I should not do that on this forum. But if we were on Reddit...
Just encourage the OP to appreciate April O'Neil's contributions to the Turtles' adventures.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:50 am
juliewongferra wrote:
Parents have the right to raise their children how they wish in regards to these trivial matters. Sanctimonious attitudes are usually not welcome.
I agree. People should keep their person opinions about how to raise a child (concerning gender roles) in this manner out of this, on both sides of the discussion. This is a very heated topic.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm
rkhusky wrote:

I agree. People should keep their person opinions about how to raise a child (concerning gender roles) in this manner out of this, on both sides of the discussion. This is a very heated topic.
I disagree. People should speak up to protect children and other vulnerable people who cannot assert their own rights from suffering and abuse. That it is a heated topic is irrelevant. Same for animals.

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:30 pm

show those shoes to your son and ask him if he likes to have the shoes.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 pm

I thought I could nip this topic in the bud. What a great community! :mrgreen:
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:49 pm

TheHouse7 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 pm
I thought I could nip this topic in the bud. What a great community! :mrgreen:
A real classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mj6B4DtNyM

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 pm
Nate79 wrote:
rkhusky wrote:

I disagree. People should speak up to protect children and other vulnerable people who cannot assert their own rights from suffering and abuse. That it is a heated topic is irrelevant. Same for animals.
Really? Not letting a child wear TMNT shoes is suffering and abuse?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Not letting a child develop naturally causes suffering and can be abusive.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Nate79 wrote:
rkhusky wrote:
juliewongferra wrote:
Someone asks whether girls do something, and commentary on gender roles is inappropriate?

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm
rkhusky wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Not letting a child develop naturally causes suffering and can be abusive.
Not teaching a child or providing discipline causes suffering and can be abusive. Sounds like two sets of personal opinions for which there is no outside basis to prefer one over the other.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:02 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Not teaching a child or providing discipline causes suffering and can be abusive.
Agreed, but not letting a child wear shoes because they aren't for the right gender doesn't fall under "teaching a child or providing discipline."

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:02 pm
rkhusky wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Not teaching a child or providing discipline causes suffering and can be abusive.
Agreed, but not letting a child wear shoes because they aren't for the right gender doesn't fall under "teaching a child or providing discipline."
Another personal opinion with which others may disagree.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:05 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Another personal opinion with which others may disagree.
I don't care if others disagree with that.

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/resour ... t-suicide/

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:08 pm

The real question here is why don't they come in a 10.5 men's?

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 pm
Nate79 wrote:
rkhusky wrote:

Agreed. Blatantly teaching malleable children sexism, racism, etc is unacceptable.