Save all this money, what do you splurge on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TXGymGuy84

Re: Save all this money, what do you splurge on?

Post by TXGymGuy84 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:05 pm

My house! Bought bigger than we needed knowing our family will be growing. I don't want lack of space to force me to move when that time comes. Besides that it's golf, vacations, and regular deep tissue massages.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Bracket wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:34 pm
I set up side by side 60" 4K flat screens with 2 PlayStation 4 consoles so I could play games online with my son. :thumbsup
Outstanding!
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

lolbatross

Post by lolbatross » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 pm

We splurge on a lot. Bought a new car (cash) 1.5 years ago. Finishing our basement next year. I try to alternate years for the really big splurges. Smaller splurges - built a desktop I didn't need. Fun money. Eat out a lot. Craft Beer.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Vow, where do these non-bogleheads and non-frugal people come from?

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Social membership at the country club for the pool in the summer, and junior golf for the kids

Season hockey tickets for Saturday nights at a Big 10 school, hotel it a few blocks from the rink

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:39 pm

bikechuck wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:05 pm
I might lose my mind in 2018 and purchase an Oliver travel trailer and a pick up to tow it. If I do it will be the most expensive indulgence of my life, just over 6 figures.

Not at all sure I will do this but I might.
I had looked at the Oliver Travel Trailers in the past and they are very high end. Very nice.
I did not know they ran that high.
For that price a Roadtrek or Travato is doable.
j :D

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:51 am

Smart devices to use with Amazon Echo/Dots, to satisfy my inner nerd :happy

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:06 am

We buy new cars because, yuck, other people are disgusting in their cars. Bought a Honda Fit this year ($15k cash with trade in) and really splurged for the one with heated "leather" seats and moon roof.

Convenience foods: salads in bags, Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage, etc. We eat 20 meals a week at home, so these are really worth it for me.

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 pm
To me a boglehead is someone who understands the need to start saving early in life, uses a 3 fund strategy and lives below their means. Those who have done so and accumulated wealth can certainly splurge on a few items from time to time.

For us it's traveling first class. We still live below our means in a house worth < $500k on net worth of > 7 M. And the vacation is once a year or less.

Also, we buy nice quality every day things, the "expensive " paper towels and toilet paper and tissues and garbage bags ( one bad experience with a ripped bag changed DH's habits) . When my crazy frugal brother in law and his wife visited she said the second morning they were here that 24 hours in our home had convinced her that they had to start spuluging on the " good TP" and told her husband, " it's not like I'm asking for diamonds here"

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:29 am

Re TP, after a wonderful week in Japan, DW and DS came back insisting on Japanese toilets. TP is so 20th century.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 am

DH really doesn’t believe in splurging. His goal is to leave a hefty legacy to his adult children, which they are counting on.
I, on the other hand, splurge on theater tickets with friends. I like the good seats, too.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:09 am

Gnirk wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 am
DH really doesn’t believe in splurging. His goal is to leave a hefty legacy to his adult children, which they are counting on.
I, on the other hand, splurge on theater tickets with friends. I like the good seats, too.
Ah. There’s the rub. Pardon me for saying this, not knowing anyone involved, but this is a topic that my wife and I disagree on. IMO, and with respect, if his adult children are counting on a hefty legacy, then it’s an albatross more than a blessing.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 am

Twice a year I buy a milkshake from BurgerKing. $3.76 cents for a teeny-tiny milkshake. I had one last night as I always have my second for the year when I buy gift cards for fast food as a stocking stuffer. I cannot believe how much they cost relative to what you get and the quality there of(the other is on July 4th after the fireworks).

Once a year I go out for a duck dinner, I love my duck. And once or twice a year I buy pizza from a really pricey pizzeria. Delicious and worth every penny, but cripes I make a pretty good pizza for 1/7th the price.

I also buy some new to me type of tomato seeds every 3 years or so which can be a pricey thing to do because of shipping costs. You can blow 10-30 bucks a year easy on seeds. I mean is there really a point, outside of sheer enjoyment, to growing 20-60 varieties of tomatoes? Much less my snap pea, radish, swiss chard and lettuce variety fetish. Last year I grew 8 types of radishes and 12 types of lettuce.

I often order rootstocks and scions in order to try specific types of fruit trees out.

But the biggest budget killer is I travel a lot, and tend to like Hilton properties verses bargain chains. I recently stayed at a Country Inn and Suites and had to ask myself why I stay at Hamptons when these were just a tad lower tier but 1/2 the price. I am thinking of setting up a separate portfolio in the form of high dividend yield or dividend growth index fund, funding it with a lump sum, and using he dividends to cover travel expenses.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:44 pm

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 am
I also buy some new to me type of tomato seeds every 3 years or so which can be a pricey thing to do because of shipping costs. You can blow 10-30 bucks a year easy on seeds. I mean is there really a point, outside of sheer enjoyment, to growing 20-60 varieties of tomatoes? Much less my snap pea, radish, swiss chard and lettuce variety fetish. Last year I grew 8 types of radishes and 12 types of lettuce.

I often order rootstocks and scions in order to try specific types of fruit trees out.
Find some other local gardeners to share and trade seeds and plants with as well as information about what varieties do especially well in your area.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:44 pm
MrPotatoHead wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 am

Find some other local gardeners to share and trade seeds and plants with as well as information about what varieties do especially well in your area.

reddit has a decent seed swap
https://www.reddit.com/r/seedswap/searc ... rict_sr=on

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Splurge
verb (used without object), splurged, splurging.
1. to indulge oneself in some luxury or pleasure, especially a costly one.

Seeing that several consider a few bucks expenditure as a costly one makes me wonder...

birdy

Post by birdy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Taking a trip to Thailand and for the first time going to upgrade to BUSINESS CLASS!!!!!! I am so excited!!!!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your money and your time).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:02 pm

After decades without a TV happily, and over my objections, my wife found a $100 big-screen on Craigslist. Now I spend all day watching music videos and live streams of international sports.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Fresh squeezed oj

Orchestra seats

Cars Tesla s

College education for the kid

Charity

Food and travel

More ac use in the summer

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Vacations/travel
Gadgets
Food

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 am

Having a wife. LOL!!!

Digital Dave

Post by Digital Dave » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:15 am

A Google Home in every room.

When I upgrade my electronics, instead of selling the old stuff, I give it to my friends. I get a new device (iPad) and a friend now enjoys my old one.

Dave
Investing in Mutual Funds, ETF's, P2P Lending, Forever Stamps and Bittulips.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:41 am

Digital Dave wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:15 am
A Google Home in every room.

When I upgrade my electronics, instead of selling the old stuff, I give it to my friends. I get a new device (iPad) and a friend now enjoys my old one.

Dave
So your friends are true Bogleheads.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:43 pm

We bought a house that most Bogleheads would disapprove of. :twisted: We love it, it makes us happy every day.

sco

Post by sco » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:19 am

totallystudly wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 pm
Guns...lots of guns...

I just went hunting and loved it and I am debating buying a long range bolt action gun for $500-900

Thankfully guns hold their value or appreciate slightly
As a boglehead, I am assuming you have figured out that you do not want to actually purchase at Cabelas or Bass Pro. For those that haven't figure this out, look up a local gun shop, everyone can get you the same thing and the pricing is all over the place.

Disclaimer, I do hold an FFL license. If you would like to find one in your local area I would be happy to help you find one. Just PM please. A local budget friendly FFL can save you a lot of money...

The reason I posted this, is a 500-900 rifle can be really awesome, or just a budget rifle. It really depends where you buy it, and what rebates are currently running...

OH.. And I enjoy Travel, Firearms and various other ways to burn money..

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:26 am

We splurge on football tickets for my alma mater. Wife loves football. Sometimes I have to pull her back down in her seat before she gets too rowdy.

Of course I have to grease the athletic department's hands a bit to get our really great seats.

This year we started the process of replacing perfectly good, but aged furniture with new furniture. Next year we will replace our perfectly good, but aged kitchen cabinets, kitchen appliances, and downstairs floors with new all around. Someone is/will be getting some still nice stuff via Salvation Army, so that makes me feel better.

Biggest splurge was paying off four tuition plans for our grandchildren. Best use of funds we have spent this year. Wife probably wouldn't agree. She likes her leather sectionals more, I believe.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am

Maya1234 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am
flyingaway wrote:
To me a boglehead is someone who understands the need to start saving early in life, uses a 3 fund strategy and lives below their means. Those who have done so and accumulated wealth can certainly splurge on a few items from time to time.
+1. In spite of the occasional shaming on here, there is nothing in the Bogleheads philosophy that says one must live like Scrooge. For me being a Boglehead is to allow one to enjoy the finer things in life.

To the original question:

I splurge on radio controlled airplanes and helicopters, its a 20+ year hobby and i know Ive sunk well into the mid 5 figures over that time.

My wife splurges on gardening, photography, travel, shoes, handbags.

We also spend a lot on the house and kids, but I dont count that as a splurge.

And yes I do all that and still max out my 401k.
Last edited by jharkin on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:37 am

* iMac - though I make them last. Current one is seven years old.

* new rather than used cars - however, ditto on making them last. Each purchase, I investigate the cost difference with a 3-yr-old used model that seems to be what Bogleheads and other frugal types I look up to call the "sweet spot," but the relatively small difference to go new always seems worth it to me. Current car is a 2009 Honda Fit.

* Breville toaster oven - this thing is AWESOME

market timer

Post by market timer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 am

The biggest luxury: Not stressing about work. If I'm laid off tomorrow, that's fine with me. I can live on 4% SWR and don't need to be a sycophant to survive. I splurge on integrity and saying no to pointless projects. This has cost me massively in career advancement.

The next biggest luxury: Children. They get my time and access to the best education. If I fly business class, they sit next to me. My son has been to eight countries with me this year. Hope he can remember when he is older.

Of much less significance: Food and drinks. Craft beer even if it is $8/bottle and wagyu steaks. $30K/year.

Absolutely!

Post by Absolutely! » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:58 am

A little larger home than we really needed pd with cash after selling old home (nice gain on prior home).
A second home in a historic area near where my wife's family all live - we try to spend a week there monthly.
Bought new cars for myself and DW a couple years ago with cash.
Traveling to interesting locations in the US.
Ballroom lessons - expensive, but I love it.
Eating out, we don't drink, nor do we care for high end restaurants, so cost is quite reasonable.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:01 pm

- Restaurants (Philadelphia has some of the best in the world, so we can't not take advantage)
- Travel
- Cars/Motorbikes (Corvette Z06, Range Rover, Mustang Cobra, Honda Rebel)

jtopicz1

Post by jtopicz1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:29 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:39 am
jtopicz1 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:50 am
I read a quote once that said "Money spent on travel makes you richer," or something to that effect. I would totally agree. We splurge on travel, go high-end when we do, and try to go as frequently as we can. That said, we keep a list of places we'd like to see, and then watch for great airfare and hotel deals. For two people, we may visit three countries per year (as well as numerous local long weekend trips), and our travel budget stays well under 10k per year.
I don't agree with that statement. I just think that I like to travel, being at a different place, having a different experience. I don't really care if it make me richer or not, just make me feel good or better.
I think it’s definitely make you poorer financially. That’s a fact.
"Rich" isn't always defined as keeping every cent you earn in your bank account. I believe that is defined as "cheap."

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:25 pm

jtopicz1 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:29 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:39 am
jtopicz1 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:50 am
I read a quote once that said "Money spent on travel makes you richer," or something to that effect. I would totally agree. We splurge on travel, go high-end when we do, and try to go as frequently as we can. That said, we keep a list of places we'd like to see, and then watch for great airfare and hotel deals. For two people, we may visit three countries per year (as well as numerous local long weekend trips), and our travel budget stays well under 10k per year.
I don't agree with that statement. I just think that I like to travel, being at a different place, having a different experience. I don't really care if it make me richer or not, just make me feel good or better.
I think it’s definitely make you poorer financially. That’s a fact.
"Rich" isn't always defined as keeping every cent you earn in your bank account. I believe that is defined as "cheap."
Why am I quoted for this? My post was tongue in cheek, I don’t always have a smiley face next to everything I write. Where did I mention bank account and rich? I merely agree with @flyaway that travelling is not always make you richer experience, it’s different experience. So I’m puzzled to why are you calling me cheap? Please refrain yourself, please don’t go online and accusing and lecturing people of being this and that, not before you know what they are really like. I know it’s hard, but try it sometime.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:35 pm

I had seen 20 plus home theater projectors come and go in my house since 2002, but the last 4 years I decided to stay put with my JVC RS45 and a backup projector (about the price of replacing a lamp on the JVC).

All my friends think that I'm nuts but then I do not drive the kind of chariots that they do (covered all the cost of my 20+ projectors with a single purchase).

Have plenty of laptops, tablets and smartphones too.

Shikoku

Post by Shikoku » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:49 pm

Splurge on comfort, flexibility, and healthy lifestyle: Taking a walk in our beautiful 325-house suburban subdivision in its wide sidewalks. Eating healthy home-cooked food for lunch on most days at the comfort of our home while working full-time. Having the flexibility not to be in my office more than 10 hours/week if I choose. Enjoying four months time off from work every year. Having only five minutes commute. Not having anyone any say on the projects I work on. Having very little or no boss. Knowing I will not be laid off unless I do something shockingly wrong! :happy
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:21 pm

We like to help out family and friends
Donate money and time to charities
And travel

We saved up to 50% of our gross while working, plus we each received an inheritance. We aren't use to spending.

We are drawing about 1% of our assets plus two small pensions.

We are leaving for two months in Australia on Friday and will take a 40 day cruise back to the west coast.

Once we return most of what we like to do costs very little money - hiking, backpacking, mushroom hunting, yoga, movies dinner parties and bbqs with friends.

poundwise

Post by poundwise » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Here is what I should splurge on but can't bring myself to due to my Boglehead ways: the delicious-smelling, $29.99 / pound cheese in the artisanal cheese section of Whole Foods.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:07 pm

Splurge on something. . . anything. . . buy a 1968 Chevy Camaro SS 396. . .or a Jaguar XKE v12 . . .

Anything is better than doctor's appointments, MRI's, Cat Scans (meow!), prescriptions, physical therapists, and all that. :shock:

Enjoy, Laugh, Contribute.

Clocks ticking .. . .

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 pm

We splurged last night by eating duck breast and vegetables served with squash and orange gastrique sauce, all made at home.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Maya1234 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am
flyingaway wrote:

For us it's traveling first class. We still live below our means in a house worth < $500k on net worth of > 7 M. And the vacation is once a year or less.

Also, we buy nice quality every day things, the "expensive " paper towels and toilet paper and tissues and garbage bags ( one bad experience with a ripped bag changed DH's habits) . When my crazy frugal brother in law and his wife visited she said the second morning they were here that 24 hours in our home had convinced her that they had to start spuluging on the " good TP" and told her husband, " it's not like I'm asking for diamonds here"

There is a vast difference between living below your means and living as cheaply as possible. A lot of people are drawn to extremes (why save 25% when you can save 50%? Why retire at 50 when you can at 40, why live in a 1200 sq ft house when you can live in a tiny 200 sq ft one, why own 100 things when you can own 50) and most marketing is aimed that way (i.e. compare MMM to someone trying to sell the dream of saving 15% and retiring at 60. ).

And yes once you can blow money on first class tickets, spending a couple hundred a year on nice TP is an easy choice to make:)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:39 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 pm
We splurged last night by eating duck breast and vegetables served with squash and orange gastrique sauce, all made at home.
my favorite . . .
drooling . . . . .
Also chinese "hoi sin" sauce on roast duck. . .

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Road bikes. The total I've spent over the years is probably enough to buy a nice 2-yr CPO Camry. Unfortunately splurged when I was younger but don't feel the need to splurge now.

Espresso machine and grinder. But I don't even go to Starbucks unless absolutely necessary (say needing to stay awake on a 6-hr drive)

Clothing. I like to be presentable.

Certainly lived above my means while accumulating bike related stuff and cloth, but spending a lot less these days. Much prefer buying stuff for others than getting things for myself.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm past the stage of needing to splurge. I just buy what I think I need.

I don't get torked that a taxi from Rome to the airport costs a bunch more than it's worth.

I toss a bit more than usual into the plate at church.

I buy a bit more expensive wine than I used to.

Mrs O has a harder time. She doesn't buy bananas if they are over 60 cents a pound.