Save all this money, what do you splurge on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: Save all this money, what do you splurge on?

Post by Nicolas » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:32 am

Turned the thermostat up to 72F during evening hours at wife's request, still 61F for sleeping though. That's my splurge.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 am

Rescue animals
Power tools
Heirloom vegetable seeds

Abe

Post by Abe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:36 am

Oh...I gave my barber a $3 tip for Christmas. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:36 am

chevca wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:15 am
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:40 am
But while i'm still here, i splurge on keeping my boat running, so i can go fishing. (the boat and its motors are about twice as old as i am).
This sounds more like a call for you to splurge on newer and better fishing stuff. :happy

i did just splurge... i paid a friendly neighborhood 3rd generation mechanic to completely rebuilt the motor because i melted the piston in it at the end of last season...
and i bought a whole identical boat/motor/trailer off of craigslist for 800 to steal parts off of.. but it turns out its a better trailer in its entirety, and it came with 2 electric down riggers, and i managed to get the motor running, so i will definitely come out ahead on this little expense...
last season.. i managed to buy shrimp pots... so that i have something to do in May...

Besides the motor being old... (well now basically new)... its hard to rationalize a 30-40k piece of new fiberglass when my old piece of fiberglass that has some battle wounds, works well.. and i don't care if it gets more battle wounds...

and i had the opportunity to buy a new motor... but.. i employ this old guy.. for 2k and he makes my motor like new.. or i spend 15k, and send my money to china...

lets just call it the "chum bucket" because it takes a good number of months to get the stink out...

oh and newer/better fishing stuff, hardly works... i try to buy 30 year old lures and stuff.. when i see them, because magically they seem to work better, then the new stuff in the store... because when they "consolidated" all the outdoor companies... they destroyed the local market fishing gear.... so.. its not the local guy making stuff anymore based on what works for him.. at your neighborhood fishing hole.... but some of the old stuff... is more expensive then new...

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:44 am

Having just did the math on my $$ stuff I see I am up 20% overall for the year today. That makes me think I can probably afford the airfares that I thought were too expensive for my frugal tastes. I travel a lot and this will expand my range or options to more remote destinations. Now, once there I may upgrade my hotel. Not much but enough so that the my options there also expand. I will probably never go the route of Travel and Leisure magazine prices. I figure I can push out just 3k more per year and live well.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:45 am

After decades of buying nose-bleed seats at various events (usually to see a below average Philly team lose :( ), I now splurge occasionally for expensive tickets. Recent examples:

- Bocelli concert last night
- Lower level seats to one or two Flyers games per year
- Penn State / Michigan game in 2017 (the hotel cost is much worse than the cost of football tickets)
- Notre Dame / Temple game in 2015 (Temple was undefeated and in the top 25 at the time)

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:54 am

Luxury cars, multiple homes, expensive clothes, jewelry, watches, luxury travel, generous giving to others, multiple clubs, trainers, home gyms. I think that’s it. Everybody defines “splurging”differently and will have their own personal spending “tastes”. For instance we don’t like live theatre, large concerts, or sporting events. To each their own.

For many, reaching FI and retiring is the biggest luxury or splurge they could imagine. Everybody is different.
Last edited by SQRT on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:55 am

We travel in our Class B Rig.
That we saved and invested for so that we could ,
pay cash.
:happy :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:03 pm

While pondering a possible overnight Amtrak trip in a few months, I've been thinking of splurging on a sleeping car instead of sitting up in coach.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:05 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:16 am

We are happy with what we have.
So am I.

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Golf ... private club, coaching, tournaments

Family .. travel expenses to come home for holidays, attend baptisms, etc. Set up a separate company for each child (for their own choice of “ side hustle”, real estate, etc ) and provided a match on their capital contribution and some personal equity investment

Books

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Nothing that I consider a genuine splurge but a myriad of upgrades and additions to my "normal and usual things."

More traveling--but the biggest difference is time rather than $. Time allows more road trips which I find far more enjoyable than flying these days.
More frequent dining out but at the same or same-level restaurants as previously.
Less regard for prices/total spend at the grocery store and more focus on what I really want to eat.
More frequent consumption of wine at and/or after dinner but only a moderate upgrade in quality.
Better quality coffee but far short of aficionado level.
More time spent listening to music and attending concerts.
A few more electronic gizmos but nothing outrageously expensive.
A fun car but purchased at my usual replacement time and only slightly more expensive than I would have bought otherwise.
Assisting DS (who is working part-time) financially to enable him to enjoy his college experience rather than it being a continuous grind.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 pm

Participated in my first Olympic Triathlon this year and attempting a Half Ironman next year. It's an expensive sport, in general.

Occasional Starbucks.

ETCS10

Post by ETCS10 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 pm

timmy wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 pm
Participated in my first Olympic Triathlon this year and attempting a Half Ironman next year. It's an expensive sport, in general.

Occasional Starbucks.
Have been doing TRI's for a few years and yes it can get expensive!! There are many ways to save some case in the sport one of the biggest is to avoid Ironman Branded events, the local events are normally half the cost of the branded events and have a much nicer feel to them with being smaller in size. The other big advantage to small events is that the hotels don't price gouge or require multi-night stays.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:32 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:48 pm
I spent $13k on two puppies.
What breed? Was this the cost of acquisition, it did it include training.

I spend my money on kids. Day care runs $2400 plus there's baby sitters, food, clothing and birthday parties.

Plus now travel has become more expensive since we need more flight tickets and can't crash on a couch.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:33 pm

After 30 years of driving practical sedans, I recently bought a used 2014 Camaro. I also collect coins so will occasionally drop a few bucks there as well.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:38 pm

My handle says it all. We spend the equivalent of a new car every year on trips.

TravelforFun

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:44 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:25 am
2) My next coffee upgrade is probably home roasting of coffee bean.
Ive been considering that also.

One other, non-splurge (I.e., inexpensive) coffee things I’ve recently started is Third Wave Water, available on Amazon. Take a gallon of distilled water, add a packet of minerals, and the coffee is smoother, even at the very strong levels my wife and I prefer.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Firearms training, competing, and related costs.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:57 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:44 pm
I know this goes against us living frugal however you also need to enjoy and live life a little. Would love to hear what you all "splurge" on.

For me, it is cars. Probably the worst thing to splurge on as a depreciating asset, but toying around with cars and enjoying them is great. The current toy is a 911 Turbo and hoping to get into a Lamborghini Murcielago someday.
Have a new Mercedes AMG C63S on order and last year we cruised to the Panama Canal, wife visited family in BKK while I cruised to Cuba, then we did Princess Alaska cruise and ground, Cruised the Coast of Maine and finally did a full Mississippi River Transit from Minneapolis to New Orleans. Wife will visit family again next month and we Cruise Odessa to Kiev in the Ukraine early summer and Montreal to NYC near summer's end. As of December this year wife is a US Citizen and has a US Passport. Lots of destinations are on tap as soon as I get the AMG Benz delivered.

duckcalldan

Post by duckcalldan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:59 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:44 pm
KlangFool wrote:

One other, non-splurge (I.e., inexpensive) coffee things I’ve recently started is Third Wave Water, available on Amazon. Take a gallon of distilled water, add a packet of minerals, and the coffee is smoother, even at the very strong levels my wife and I prefer.
I’ve been roasting coffee for the past year or so. It’s a fun learning process. Go to http://www.sweetmarias.com for a ton of info. My first roaster was a $10 hot air corn popper, but I was disappointed with quality and capacity. So I upgraded to a “flour sifter heat gun” that I’m still fiddling with, similar to this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LivLKX9L6Rk. It allows much greater capacity and a slower roast for better flavor development. I’m not above buying a prebuilt roaster, but a decent one is $1000+ and the quality is not any better. Maybe some day..

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:27 pm

If I have the money I will buy
1) new weaving loom
2) 2 month vacation outside of Minnesota during jan/feb months.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:28 pm

duckcalldan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:59 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

I’ve been roasting coffee for the past year or so. It’s a fun learning process. Go to http://www.sweetmarias.com for a ton of info. My first roaster was a $10 hot air corn popper, but I was disappointed with quality and capacity. So I upgraded to a “flour sifter heat gun” that I’m still fiddling with, similar to this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LivLKX9L6Rk. It allows much greater capacity and a slower roast for better flavor development. I’m not above buying a prebuilt roaster, but a decent one is $1000+ and the quality is not any better. Maybe some day..
A co-worker uses an old weber. Pretty sure he modified it.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Retiring at 55 has been my favorite splurge, so far it has lasted for a dozen years. I had no idea that life could be so care free. We seem to just do whatever we want to do today, for year after year. I'm smiling as I write this, retirement has been that good.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Travel/Vacations

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:39 pm

As a couple we have saved ~50% of our take home income over the past 3 years, but we do enjoy certain pricey things.

1) Eating out and going for drinks with family/friends quite often
2) Typically with things I will use for a long time, I "buy it for life" and get a high quality expensive version that will unlikely need replacing
3) Bicycles, I am an avid mountainbiker and got into Triathlon a few years ago
4) Destination races, this year was Ironman Lake Placid 70.3, and next year I am considering the Mt. Tremblant full.
5) Travel - We take an international trip every year and take long weekend trips to cool cities all over the US several times a year.
6) Car - I drive an impractical 93 octane chugging, RWD, 6MT, sports luxury car that costs way more than my previous vehicle and I wouldn't have it any other way.

:dollar :sharebeer :moneybag

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Cars

But my splurge is cheap relative to others. My weekend car is a 20 year old M3 that I bought for less than $10k and have spent very little to maintain. Gas is probably my biggest expense as I like to wring every bit of power out of the engine and redline it every chance I get

Just got back from a perfect Saturday morning drive in the canyons and couldn’t think of a better way to spend my morning.

I’ve driven newer way more expensive cars and they’re simply not as engaging and too powerful for public roads. I had a 2018 camaro ss as a rental last week. While it’s a spectacular car, couldn’t get it past 3rd gear without being in danger of loosing my license.

I also spend more money than I should going go karting and I used to ski before a back injury sidelined me

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:05 pm

A second vacation in the winter
Season tickets to the local playhouse
support for grandkids activities e.g. gymnastics, swimming lessons, STEM class.
Better, safer cars with some luxuries e.g. wife loves the heated seats.

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:06 pm

FCM wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am
A fully paid-for college education for my son.
+1 (x 2 sons.)

panhead

Post by panhead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:09 pm

kayli69 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:27 am
1) 1969 Camaro SS350 4 speed
2) 1970 Nova SS396 4 speed
3) Hunting cabin with land

When I am driving one of these cars or relaxing at my cabin all my stress is gone
We could be related. Change the Camaro to a firebird and the Nova to a Mopar and the Hunting cabin to a lakehouse, and add in a motorcycle or two! I love the old muscle cars. They have been appreciating nicely lately, but you can have driver quality versions for a lot less than a new corvette, and if you like to wrench, it's even better!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Toons wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:55 am
We travel in our Class B Rig.
That we saved and invested for so that we could ,
pay cash.
:happy :happy
Drooling. :shock:
Trying to get DW down the the Roadtrek or Travato dealership.
Also will pay cash.
j :D

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:55 pm

We drive decent Japanese performance luxury cars (bought used) and take a nice vacation every year on our anniversary. 2018 - Aruba baby!

And Monday night is always Steak Night because everyone knows a fat steak on Monday makes Monday suck less. Ribeye is mandatory. :beer
Last edited by Atilla on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

Not Law

Post by Not Law » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Funding Roth IRAs for my grandchildren.

praxis

Post by praxis » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:04 pm

duckcalldan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:59 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

Most of the things we own I don't consider splurges. But we are unashamed to spend what it takes for one thing in our lives.

We have been on a mission for the perfect morning cup of coffee for years. For a while, I roasted green beans from Sweet Marias and other sources (there are a lot) in two different models of home roasters. Not any more. I never got it as good as I could buy, and although fun as a hobby, I didn't reach our goal. I've bought fresh roasted coffee from two local craft roasters and most of the highly rated mail order roasters. Of course we grind right before brewing and boil filtered water and we use a French Press.

I don't know if it's everybody's "perfect" but for two years now, we regularly order two, 1-kilo bags of freshly dark-roasted (in Austin) Chiapas-sourced beans from Ruta Maya. http://rutamaya.net/ and for us, it's perfect every morning. We order two, 1-kilo bags because the 5 lb. bag goes stale before we get to the bottom, and two, 1-kilo bags cost the same to ship. We find their quality and freshness to beat anything we've ever tried.

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:33 pm

If you looking for a proper cup of coffee...

Trout Fishing in America "Proper Cup of Coffee" :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XrAkPyStGg

4ransom

Post by 4ransom » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Retired 10 yrs ago, we are now 70 and decided to splurge, bought a Corvette and went on a big road trip, were home 2 weeks then took a month cruise through the cannal and around the horn. Still trying to catch up and rest up. Loved it but would not do it again-travel is for the younger.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:54 pm

A440 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:33 pm
If you looking for a proper cup of coffee...

Trout Fishing in America "Proper Cup of Coffee" :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XrAkPyStGg
Nice! Long-time fan of TFIA here.

Trelin946

Post by Trelin946 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:59 pm

I splurge on having all the time in the world to pursue my countless interests and hobbies: international travels, books, restaurants, cultural events, amazing golf courses for DH and DS. High on the splurge list as well are: health related and convenience items. Those include a posh gym membership, unlimited yoga, organic food, hiring workers for house sprucing up projects. Most of all, an all paid college education for our two kids and this year, I look forward to starting gifting contributions to their respective ROTH accounts.

It feels great to make an impact on the lives of our love ones, not to mention, to stay mindfully humble.

Happy Holidays!

hmw

Post by hmw » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:02 pm

Not sure it qualifies as a splurge. We bought a 2-year old Mercedes SUV this year as a daily drive for DW.

jimmyq

Post by jimmyq » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:08 pm

High end video cards, and craft beer. Not necessarily in that order.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:12 pm

4ransom wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:34 pm
Retired 10 yrs ago, we are now 70 and decided to splurge, bought a Corvette and went on a big road trip, were home 2 weeks then took a month cruise through the cannal and around the horn. Still trying to catch up and rest up. Loved it but would not do it again-travel is for the younger.
Thank you for this report. Hopefully those retiring soon will remember the part about traveling NOW while younger. Wishing YOU and YOUR family a Merry Christmas, and thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 pm

As I get older, it's hard to find anything to splurge on. I'd say travel, going to places and expand my knowledge and experience. But I'm traveling and taking many trips while maintain at least 33% saving rate. Maybe car? But I'm already driving the car I love and enjoy every minute of it. It's hard to find something now but I guess that's a blessing. Might be something simple... I think I'd splurge on a cold beer and sit down to watch a football game.

james865

Post by james865 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Still learning to splurge after having to be frugal for the past 15 years while in secondary education.

What I have started splurging on: home meal delivery (plated, blue apron, etc.)

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Rockstar energy drinks, SNES classic scalped, new cheese slicers :annoyed
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:37 pm

We have a few.

1). We buy good food—fresh fruit and vegetables, high quality meat and fish, good imported cheese, etc.). We prepare most of our meals at home and so this makes a big difference for our enjoyment of life. We could certainly eat more cheaply, but don’t.

2). The rare times we do eat out, we go all out. Since we feel as though we cook extremely well, most of our dining out choices are at ethnic restaurants with specialized ingredients or time intensive meals that are not conducive to home production.

3). Kids lessons and activities. Private golf and tennis lessons, travel soccer teams, etc. Wife and I were both college athletes on scholarship, and although we don’t expect that for our kids, we found being engaged to in teams and sports kept us out of trouble as teenagers, gave us self-confidence, and provided us with a healthy body image.

4). Travel. This has reall ramped up in the last few years as our kids have gotten older and as my salary has grown (going from a resident to an attending physician has a few advantages). We have done some pretty amazing things in Kauai, Big Island Hawaii, Chicago, Vancouver and Victoria, BC and Seattle, WA, San Diego/LA, Cancun, Walt Disney World, Park City, and Coeur D’Alene. We already have trips in 2018 planned for Paris and Maui, and are hoping to squeeze in a Yellowstone trip and possibly one to Montreal.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:58 am
Interesting to read everyone’s thoughts.....

For me it’s a wonderful Pro-summer Espresso machine and grinder. Few things bring me as much pleasure as a well pulled shot and the enjoyment of a morning Americano .

https://www.wholelattelove.com/expobar- ... ortaholder

As an aside, I find it amazing that most commercial coffee shops have such expensive equipment but baristas that have no clue what a good shot of Espresso tastes like. Finding a great barista, reading a good book and sipping my Americano counts as another splurge.

And then there is the joy of finding a beautiful piece of wood—it’s amazing what nature provides when you look.

Woodspinner 8-)
If ever in Venice, try Torrefazione Cannaregio. Mmmm.... goes right into your gums... Heaven!

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Cars - had many toys in my younger days (mustangs, M3's etc). Now i have an X5, but as soon as we upgrade to a house with a 3 car garage, I'll find another toy to park in the third bay.

Interesting to see how many other people "splurge" on cars - most threads here seem to be of the "buy a Camry and drive into the ground" variety.

DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 pm

I retired on January 1st.

Spent 130 days traveling this year--25 states, 18 countries. Best decision was to spend a week in a city in Poland that my great-grandfather came from in 1882. Only saw one other English speaking tourist that week. Also took 3 cruises, a bus tour, and a few self tours.

After working 50 years, and saving at least half my income for the past 15, I am suddenly at a point where my disposable income is four times as high as it has been for the past decade.

I also started flying business class and first class.

My investments have continued to grow faster than I can spend the money. :happy
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)

IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:46 pm

One book per month on audible.com

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:29 pm

22twain wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:03 pm
While pondering a possible overnight Amtrak trip in a few months, I've been thinking of splurging on a sleeping car instead of sitting up in coach.
I heartily recommend doing so. Well worth the :moneybag