GPS tracker for loved one w Alzheimer’s

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
grettman

GPS tracker for loved one w Alzheimer’s

Post by grettman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Google searches reveal a mix bag of devices so I would like some help from my BH friends. My mom has this horrible disease and I want to be able to track her wear abouts in fairly real time. I prefer some thing small and something that can be attached to wrist or around neck. I prefer not to pay a monthly fee or if I do, I am hoping to pay a minimum amount. Does anyone out there know of such a device or better yet, have experience with one?

Thanks!

barnaclebob

Re: GPS tracker for loved one w Alzheimer’s

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Does she carry a phone and keep it charged regularly? There are tracking apps on phones but they may drain the batteries faster.

grettman

Post by grettman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:21 pm

She doesn’t carry a phone. She lost it. I plan to get her a new phone but it has to be a flip phone. Looking at those too. I want a phone that has like 4 buttons .. for to call up to for people in case she gets in trouble.

Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:26 pm

We used “On-Star,” it worked pretty well. It has been a few years, we bought a rear-view mirror containing on-star, then it was like $30./month for the service. It is also a phone.

Are you sure you want her to continue to drive?

grettman

Post by grettman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:31 pm

I took her car. This is to track her while on her feet. She uses a bus and goes on walks.

twenty characters

Post by twenty characters » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Republic Wireless is about to launch a new product that amounts to a walkie-talkie with GPS tracking capability which uses the cellular network.

https://relaygo.com/

The device costs $100.00 (you probably need two of them) and it can be mounted on a wristwatch-like band.

The person in need of care need do nothing more than push the one button to talk. On the caregiver's end, you can locate the device (which we hope remains attached to the person) or query the Google Assistant.

PVW

Post by PVW » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Do you want to use this to regularly check up on her location, or are your worried about an emergency situation where she escapes her caregiver?

For emergency situations:
https://projectlifesaver.org/

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:55 pm

Tracking devices exist which are intended to mitigate the risk of kidnapping for children, key executives, and others. Most do require the payment of monthly service fees. Perhaps one of these types of devices would be useful:

http://sahm.org/children-parenting/top- ... abduction/

https://www.uniguardgps.com/gps-kids-tracker/

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:11 pm

I really hate to make the suggestion because I don't mean to imply anything negative by it, but have you looked at GPS locators people use for their pets? They're lightweight and look like they would clip to a belt loop, purse strap, or shoe lace fairly easily. There are quite a few on Amazon with lots of reviews. Some with monthly plans but it looks like some without.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:17 pm

It might not hurt to ask the police department. Here, an officer will come out and provide one free of charge.

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:43 pm

I've used parental tracking features on phones to track people. It was accurate down to about 25 yards in real time in Oakland, CA circa 2006. How effective these various tools will be depends on the area you are in and what the technology is. Something pinging off cell towers will be less effective in a rural area, etc. The problem with the phone is she has to remember to take it with her.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:13 pm

whatusername? wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:11 pm
I really hate to make the suggestion because I don't mean to imply anything negative by it, but have you looked at GPS locators people use for their pets? They're lightweight and look like they would clip to a belt loop, purse strap, or shoe lace fairly easily. There are quite a few on Amazon with lots of reviews. Some with monthly plans but it looks like some without.
Just as a side note none of these are small enough for cats. They don't have great range either.

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 pm

mouses wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:13 pm
whatusername? wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:11 pm
Just as a side note none of these are small enough for cats. They don't have great range either.
The RFID trackers don't have great range, but I was specifically thinking of the GPS/GLONASS trackers.

chevca

Post by chevca » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Check the county you live in and services they offer. Like the police department suggestion above, many counties offer similar services. They may provide one for you guys.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:21 am

If the area in which your loved one resides does not provide a location finding service, ours didn’t, you can get a product called Pocket Finder for Seniors. It’s not cheap, $160 for the gps plus $13 a month for the service, but the previous 2g model worked well for us. The new model uses 3g. There is an app that allows setting up a zone that your loved one is “confined” to. Once they leave the zone, an alert is sent. Additionally, real time tracking is available. The 2g model worked well except for a few bugs that sent false alerts. The only problem is what to do when an alert is received.

We feel for you. Our senior walked almost constantly and usually stayed in her zone. A year ago her circumstances changed and she became a resident of a nursing home. She still wanders there, but is protected from getting out. Even there she sometimes ends up somewhere she shouldn’t be. Good luck.

book lover

Post by book lover » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:59 am

There are also shoes that you can purchase that have a GPS tracker in them.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:31 pm

grettman wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:15 pm
Google searches reveal a mix bag of devices so I would like some help from my BH friends. My mom has this horrible disease and I want to be able to track her wear abouts in fairly real time. I prefer some thing small and something that can be attached to wrist or around neck. I prefer not to pay a monthly fee or if I do, I am hoping to pay a minimum amount. Does anyone out there know of such a device or better yet, have experience with one?

Thanks!
I would contact the Alzheimer's Association in your area to see what they might recommend. Below is a link to a site in which they do make a recommendation and also provide other important information to track patients. Also, your mother's doctor may be able to advise on devices and how effective and appropriate they would be in her particular situation.

https://www.alz.org/georgia/in_my_community_20344.asp
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

pilotpaul

Post by pilotpaul » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:31 pm

we were looking at this for my mom. It looks promising with a 30 day period between charges. I passed the info on to my dad but I dont think he's received it yet.

http://www.keruve.com/specs-gps-watch/

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Welcome! You might want to double-check those specs. The battery life is 2 days (3.5 days for the watch, 2 days for the receiver).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:18 pm

https://projectlifesaver.org/get-involv ... loved-one/

If project lifesaver is available in your area, our local police volunteer search team has great results with it.
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

indi

Post by indi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:01 pm

Here's a site that has GPS trackers for kids. The ones for special needs children might be useful.

https://www.safewise.com/blog/10-wearab ... ices-kids/

pilotpaul

Post by pilotpaul » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:29 pm

I apologize about the battery life misinformation. We've been looking at so many different options. This is the watch with with the 30day battery charge.

https://www.alzstore.com/gps-tracker-fo ... p/0920.htm